Tips to get Land Legs back!!!

Catbrad

I'm prone to motion sickness so wasn't surprised that when i went on my MSC Seaside Cruise Feb. 22-29 that I got sea sick.  I work the little patch behind my ear which helped alot.  I returned on Saturday and still feel like i'm on the ship.  I'm nauseous, dizzy, and feel like the room is rocking.  I read this can last for a few days to weeks.  Does anyone have any tips of things to try that might help make this feeling go away quickly???

Do a lot of walking.  I always felt it for up to 7 days (although never was I nauseous).  It is normal to feel the rocking of the ship for a few days or apparently even a few weeks.  If it last longer than a month it is called mal de débarquement syndrome (MdDS).  There is a facebook group with people who have had it for years.  Some are mild and others have it bad.  Many doctors do not know about it.  Some people need prescription medication to lower the symptoms. (OTC meds for seasickness do not help) . Because most people have it for just a short time there is plenty of hope for you.  

5 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

put the patch back on, (perhaps, cut it in half) 

Ummm.....no.

Both the patch manufacturer and doctors recommend NOT cutting the patch in half.

Do not cut the transdermal system.

https://www.drugs.com/pro/scopolamine-patch.html

Do not cut it into smaller pieces and do not touch the sticky surface of the patch.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/scopolamine-transdermal-route/proper-use/drg-20072848

• Like 1

Not sure why the manufacturer suggests no cutting of the patch - it doesn't say what could happen if you do.  Perhaps they don't want you using less patches - one cut in half last 6 days rather than using 2 patches for the same time.

There's also the warning to avoid alcohol which goes largely unheeded, since dry mouth is common with this med and people are partying on a cruise!.

For the OP, time, time, time and the feeling goes away.  If it persists, see your doctor!

Edited by evandbob

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

Not sure why the manufacturer suggests no cutting of the patch - it doesn't say what could happen if you do.  Perhaps they don't want you using less patches - one cut in half last 6 days rather than using 2 patches for the same time.

There's also the warning to avoid alcohol which goes largely unheeded, since dry mouth is common with this med and people are partying on a cruise!.

For the OP, time, time, time and the feeling goes away.  If it persists, see your doctor!

The reason is because, cutting the patch causes the active ingredient to dispense more quickly, causing a sort of overdose of the medication.   Since the patch is made of of layers, the medication is in a small resivoir inside the patch.  Cutting it casues the medication to leak out and not be absorbed at a controlled rate.

As to the other point, using alcohol to remedy dry mouth does work, as alcohol is a drying agent, not a moistener.  

9 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

As to the other point, using alcohol to remedy dry mouth does work, as alcohol is a drying agent, not a moistener.  

That is why I one should always add ice or a splash of something.  😀😀

Hi, I just got back from my 4th cruise. I have tried Dramamine, Scopalamine patches, sea bands etc. And for whatever reason cruising seems to mess with my brain.  I get very disoriented and sea sick, this time I actually experienced coughing, body aches etc primarily from the Scopalamine patches before quitting using them.  This cruise was for sure my last one, they seem to be fun  but when you have no appetite, and just want to sleep because it's the only thing that is comforting, cruising seems like a big waste of money and time. 

Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes I too was sick when I returned as well felt like I was still on the boat, it's 3 days and today I don't feel any rocking motion. But I was more interested in knowing if anyone else experiences disorientation from cruising like I do.  I could blame it entirely on Scopalamine patches which I would never wear for any reason!

1 hour ago, summitfridge said:

Yes I too was sick when I returned as well felt like I was still on the boat, it's 3 days and today I don't feel any rocking motion. But I was more interested in knowing if anyone else experiences disorientation from cruising like I do.  I could blame it entirely on Scopalamine patches which I would never wear for any reason!

No, fortunately I don't.  But given what you describe, my first step would be to contact my physician and discuss this in detail with them. Not being insensitive, but along with being curious if others have suffered similarly, I would be far more interested in seeing if I could uncover why this is happening and if there are measures - certainly more effective than those you've tried - that may prevent it altogether.   I hope you find an answer - it would be a shame to not cruise anymore as a result.

I've suffered from motion-sickness most of my life and have had all of these symptoms.  The first symptom I get when motion-sickness sets in is sleepiness.  The motion-sickness causes vertigo, which causes the nausea which results in a loss of appetite.  The vertigo also causes disorientation.  And yes, it feels like it is messing with my brain.

Some of those symptoms are also the side-effects of Dramamine and other medications. 

I have found the sweet spot for dealing with it and am only rarely bothered by it on a cruise.  I have heard that some people never find the answer.  I agree you should talk to a doctor to find out what's going on.

I got landsick when I got off the boat after our transatlantic that didn't have any stops. It passed within 10-15 minutes, though.

There was also a rough patch on that cruise where the waves were way above windows on the 4th deck. I was fine until I went to the practice for the flash mod our roll call did for one of our member's wedding proposal. The first time I spun around for one of the turns I didn't feel too well. I must have looked pretty green because everyone was asking if I was ok. I went outside in the cool air (it was November) and was fine after about five minutes.

I do have a piece of ginger candy or a ginger ale every morning when I cruise. When I was a kid I used to get carsick but grew out of it. I figure it pays to be careful.

Sorry cruising didn't work out for you. My doctor says motion sickness is a weird one because what works for some people doesn't work at all for others. He gave me a list of options before my first cruise and told me to try one after the other until I found one that worked. It happens that was my transatlantic with rough seas and no stops, but I never did anything but have a piece of candied ginger every morning and was fine. That was the first option on his list.

My MIL used to take the free meclizine from the ship and sleep all day, rouse herself for the MDR dinner, and back to sleep. In between break-through throwing up the meclizine didn't help. My DH was not much better in small-ship pre-stabilizer days!

I never could figure out why cruising was attractive to them.

As far as the OP, if they are using Trans-Scop, they have obviously consulted with their physician, it is a prescription drug.

Have you tried Meclizine (Bonine)?  Try taking it at night before bed, that way if there's any sleepiness involved, you're ready for it.  I start taking it the night before we leave, and every night of the cruise.  I find it doesn't leave me dozy or foggy-minded during the day, as other medications have.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

The side effects of Transderm Scop patches have been well known and discussed for decades.  Some folks still love the things, but many others have discovered the down side.  Cruise line physicians and many long term cruisers rely on Meclizine Hcl which is sold in the USA over-the-counter under various brand names so as Bonine and Dramamine Non-Drowsy which is not the same as the regular Dramamine.  Many US pharmacies will also sell you generic Meclizine at very low prices...often at less than $10 for 100 pills.   Another nice thing about Meclizine is that most folks only need to take one pill every 24 hours.  Our own experience is that if you take it at bedtime, you can usually avoid any drowsy side effect.  But it is always wise to talk with your own physician to get their recommendation and advice.

By the way, unless things have recently changed, Meclizine is not available in Canada.  

Hank

Well my plan is next year when I would normally take a cruise I am driving to Florida renting a house and parking myself on the beach.  No motion sickness issues, no worrying about high winds, high seas, etc. I will miss the crew that I have met my few times cruising.  Even sick they make cruising feel good and that I will miss!

• Like 2