HEALTHY 70+ CRUISERS, ARE YOU STILL A GO?

Spif Barwunkel

2 hours ago, farawayatsea said:

I don't think age really has anything to do with it. I think anybody who goes on a cruise in the present circumstances is being reckless and taking a big risk.

Can you explain why you think cruising is more reckless and a bigger risk than grocery shopping, pumping gas, eating out, etc.? Are you planning not to participate in any of those activities?

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

If you are not worried about becoming personally ill, and can afford the time and/or not working/derive income of a quarantine period go ahead.  Each person decides their own threshold for comfort, but this is a consideration anyone should ask themselves. 

I think re-entering yourself to your home community immediately after a cruise because you feel fine is reckless though given what we have seen about the virus propagation. Is a cruise right now worth that? Many here are experienced cruisers; you'll enjoy the same great cruise experience at another date without any worry. 

The quarantine  potential is more problematic to me.  We do not have a current cruise booked and are looking at booking one, but not for any sailing in 2020 at this point.   Had wanted to book for March/April timeframe 2020 for our next cruise.  We are now in 'late' booking mode depending on a number of variables and could still sail in 2020. We are okay with booking a cruise for spring of 2021, if cancelation policy makes sense.

Can I be exposed to and contract virus anywhere? Yes.  Do I want to go where there is close quarters for days and NO ability to make an independent decision if something happens IMHO.  No. Thus, we will stay land bound and enjoy a number of land based trips.

I certainly hope this passes quickly and that cruise industry can get back to normal.

• Like 1

If I were healthy, retired, 70, and sailing with my spouse I would definitely go. The reasons I am considering cancelling are because I work, limited PTO so if quarantined would lose significant wages, and sailing with a friend (risk of being quarantined away from spouse). Fear of quarantine > fear of virus. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Beachin2 said:

Survived the 60's, 70's and a flying combat tour.  Bet you butt we are going.  Being careful, not taking unwarranted risks - but not going to hide under our bed either.

What is your plan upon return?

We(both over 70) returned yesterday from a b2b cruise on the Silhouette for a total of 21 days. There were numerous visible staff involved in sanitation and it appeared that passengers took a more serious personal approach to hygiene. It was more fearful(masks and gloves very visible) moving through Ft. Lauderdale and LaGuardia airports because there were people entering and leaving multiple panes to/from domestic and foreign destinations.

Our near term bookings are a b2b in May on the Summit, and except for Bermuda all the ports are domestic. There is also a transatlantic booking in August from Dublin to Boston that we are giving great thought to canceling because other than Boston; I don’t believe the medical facilities on the ship(Summit), or in any of the ports are capable of handling large numbers of ill passengers. A look at the Diamond Princess being quarantined off the coast of California shows the need for massive medical responses and support with food, medicines(I personally need prescription medications that my local CVS has to order monthly) and continued professional sanitation.

That leaves a fall cruise from Boston to the Caribbean, that returns to Ft. Lauderdale(repositioning of 12 days) that is still a question as the year goes on.

Hal

We are on board silhouette right now for three cruises.  Our cruise, less than one day old has already had two interruptions . 
 With the virus confirmed on Grand Princess, the solution to getting other passengers off the ship will determine whether we take the risk of staying on board.

I turn 77 in May.  I want to be home to celebrate not confined to a ship or internment for weeks if stuff happens.

• Like 3

Will be on the equinox in Sept. and hoping that Celebrity extends the cancellation offer past our cruise date. Will be taking travel insurance that covers pre-existing but have only 2 more days to add CFAR. Hate to pay the additional for CFAR but don't want to take the chance that we may decide to cancel depending on how things look in another 6 months.

8 minutes ago, Argo. said:

We are on board silhouette right now for three cruises.  Our cruise, less than one day old has already had two interruptions . 

May I ask what were the two interruptions?

If you're on the fence, don't watch CNN.

I just had it on and they had a banner running along the bottom of the screen saying

Corona Virus is the Angel of Death for older cruisers.

😱

• Haha 1

If you do watch the news it is 24/7 Corona all the time on the hour on the minute every second.

It is kind of tiresome.

My concern would be a 2 week quarantine.  That does not fit into my busy schedule.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 3

We're both over 70 and plan on leaving next week on a 12 day Silhouette cruise.  Afraid....no, concerned.....probably a bit.  We will take additional meds and WASH HANDS often.  I feel this is no worse than the flu but who really knows.  We will go and hopefully be aware of as much as possible and try to have a good time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George C said:

I am 70 and health is not great had a great time on infinity a couple of weeks ago. Your ports listed are truly great we hit most of them a couple of years ago. 

Hi George, we had a great time on that music cruise too.  I'm so sorry we missed you!  Our kids had us running every minute, kept us busy and they loved being on this cruise.  We were on the pool deck most of the time, they made the plans and we ended up going along with whatever they wanted to do.  I hope you enjoyed that Royal Suite!

I'm glad you didn't get ill.  We unfortunately came home sick with the flu.  My husband had a severe case and is just now getting around.  I had a mild case for about 6 days.  On the Facebook chat for our cruise, there were at least 300 people very ill with Influenza A that cruised with us.  Some are still sick that we met onboard.  I read Infinity was getting a really good cleaning after their last cruise.  I hope so!  Some say they did a back to back before ours and people were sick before they stayed for our cruise.

So, to answer the question about cruising at 70 plus, well we are 66 and if you asked me if I would go again, right now the answer would be no, but that's because we haven't been this sick in years.  Hoping to forget this experience and enjoy cruising again.  But, our cruise was wonderful, just the aftermath has been extremely difficult.

Edited by Hoosiermama

After a lot of deliberation  we cancelled this morning, both nearly 70 in good health although my immune  system is not 100% due to Breast Surgery. We are not afraid of the Virus but the Quarantine & also missed ports that gave been on my Bucket List for Years. You also have the added worry of infecting others when your Cruise ends. Just not worth the risk.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Reijo said:

We're both over 70 and plan on leaving next week on a 12 day Silhouette cruise.  Afraid....no, concerned.....probably a bit.  We will take additional meds and WASH HANDS often.  I feel this is no worse than the flu but who really knows.  We will go and hopefully be aware of as much as possible and try to have a good time.

We’ll be with you. We’re 72. Took flu & pneumonia shot last year. Won’t have to take again until Fall. Taking extra meds, along with wipes & disinfectant spray.

looking forward to relaxing time.

Edited by reallyhooked
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hoosiermama said:

Hi George, we had a great time on that music cruise too.  I'm so sorry we missed you!  Our kids had us running every minute, kept us busy and they loved being on this cruise.  We were on the pool deck most of the time, they made the plans and we ended up going along with whatever they wanted to do.  I hope you enjoyed that Royal Suite!

I'm glad you didn't get ill.  We unfortunately came home sick with the flu.  My husband had a severe case and is just now getting around.  I had a mild case for about 6 days.  On the Facebook chat for our cruise, there were at least 300 people very ill with Influenza A that cruised with us.  Some are still sick that we met onboard.  I read Infinity was getting a really good cleaning after their last cruise.  I hope so!  Some say they did a back to back before ours and people were sick before they stayed for our cruise.

So, to answer the question about cruising at 70 plus, well we are 66 and if you asked me if I would go again, right now the answer would be no, but that's because we haven't been this sick in years.  Hoping to forget this experience and enjoy cruising again.  But, our cruise was wonderful, just the aftermath has been extremely difficult.

We loved the cruise, booked same exact royal suite for next year rock and romance . Did do lots of hand washing on that cruise. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, George C said:

We loved the cruise, booked same exact royal suite for next year rock and romance . Did do lots of hand washing on that cruise. 

Good to hear.  We washed our hands, wiped down cabin every day with Clorox wipes and didn't touch any railings.  Husband even had a flu shot in November.  He has not had the flu for nearly 20 years, so very surprised.  Just the luck of the draw, but may consider going again next year.  It was an awesome cruise with fantastic music.