HEALTHY 70+ CRUISERS, ARE YOU STILL A GO?

Spif Barwunkel

I think its important for all to realise that once the ship goes in quarantine the cruise element is over. It's being confined to your cabin 24/7 , very basic food delivered to your cabin with little choice, no alcohol. no luxuries , do all your own cleaning. The holiday is over and is basically like prison.  Just sitting there hoping you will not be the next to be infected. A cruise ship would probably be one of the worst places to be in these circumstances  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I just checked in for my April 25 cruise (24 nights) and ordered my luggage tags.  And I have every intention of taking my August cruises to and from Iceland/Greenland.  And, yes, I am over 70.  All this hype is ridiculous.  More people die from the flu than from this virus, but you don't hear about that 24/7.

Somehow I don't think the cruisers in isolation would agree this is 'hype'.  Rolling the dice is ok for some but not for everyone.  Best not to be judgemental.  You may not 'get' the virus, but if someone else does, you will be quarantined.   Our cruise is not until Nov. but will keep posted on how this all evolves and a decision for our HEALTH and well-being will be made before final payment.

• Like 5

We sail on the Silhouette in a little less than six weeks.  Still planning to go.  We are 69 and 67.  Good health.  Then sailing back on the QM2.  Unless Cunard has spoken today, as of this morning they have not yet joined the 48 hour cancellation crowd...but hoping they do.  Six weeks is a lot of time and a lot can happen, so IF we cancel, it will be at the eleventh hour.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, farawayatsea said:

I think its important for all to realise that once the ship goes in quarantine the cruise element is over. It's being confined to your cabin 24/7 , very basic food delivered to your cabin with little choice, no alcohol. no luxuries , do all your own cleaning. The holiday is over and is basically like prison.  Just sitting there hoping you will not be the next to be infected. A cruise ship would probably be one of the worst places to be in these circumstances  

Yes, I think this reality has escaped many who keep saying that it will be like an extended cruise. It won't. Even the media here says it - "oh well what a great place to be if you are in quarantine". As for Butlers - they will be helping with the rest of the crew just doing what they have to do to maintain some kind of order ship-wide. At least their cabin cleaning and washing will slow down as it's each passenger doing that work for themselves. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 3

Well quarantine is either on the ship on at BOQ/VOQ in Military bases.   The food is probably not as good as on the Grand Princess but the folks have not yet been fed military rations (MREs).   The problem is they can’t debark the U.S. passengers until they can set aside these facility.   Thanks to Clinton many military bases were closed in the 90’s limiting the facilities available.   Some of the Diamond passengers are still testing positive for the virus and it has been over 14 days.   

58 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

I wondered how housekeeping etc was being handled during this awful but necessary  detention. 

I was reading a twitter post from a passenger on board and they indicated daily housekeeping had been cancelled.  Not much more detail.   Makes sense...to limit contact.

We leave on Friday for our Equinox 3/14, 3/21 and 3/28 cruises.   I'm not particularly any more nervous of cruising than I am about going about my daily routines.    Yes I have changed some behavior and am washing hands.  

Philosophically I try to put things into perspective.    How many ships world wide are currently at sea vs how many major outbreaks are currently active on cruise ships.   Just my philosophy and you are each entitled to yours.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We leave on Friday for our Equinox 3/14, 3/21 and 3/28 cruises.   I'm not particularly any more nervous of cruising than I am about going about my daily routines.    Yes I have changed some behavior and am washing hands.  

Philosophically I try to put things into perspective.    How many ships world wide are currently at sea vs how many major outbreaks are currently active on cruise ships.   Just my philosophy and you are each entitled to yours.

Stay well and enjoy your cruise(s)!  It's such a roll of the dice but the odds are good of non-contact it seems.

We are trying to decide to cancel or not. Our Biggest concern is the chance of quarantine. We are young and healthy. But the possibility of being stuck in quarantine for weeks on a ship with kids is concerning. My kids would go stir crazy. Not to mention the cost of missing work for my husband and I. I agree with other posters that the scenario with Grand Princess will determine a lot. Can someone tell me where I can find the 48 hour cancel for FCC policy from Celebrity? I got the latest email but it did not say that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I just checked in for my April 25 cruise (24 nights) and ordered my luggage tags.  And I have every intention of taking my August cruises to and from Iceland/Greenland.  And, yes, I am over 70.  All this hype is ridiculous.  More people die from the flu than from this virus, but you don't hear about that 24/7.

Give it time.  The flu has been around for centuries.  Many people have developed resistance and flu shots limit the severity.  The new virus has many times the lethality.  If you think the flu is not serious, research the Spanish flu.  Only people getting their news from animal networks think this is not serious... 

we cancelled our Summit cruise because I doubt Greenland will let any ship dock and Iceland most likely will restrict large number of tourists visiting their island.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Leaving on the Reflection TA April 24. I know this is a serious issue and if Celebrity cancels then I guess we will stay home. Otherwise I will look at this cruise as an adventure.  The one thing I will do is bring my own wipes and at least one month of extra medications. I am glad Celebrity put the new guidelines in place that you can now cancel up to 48 hrs prior with no penalties.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was reading a twitter post from a passenger on board and they indicated daily housekeeping had been cancelled.  Not much more detail.   Makes sense...to limit contact.

I hope you will be doing a live review as well. Looking forward to it.

Norma

About to turn 70 and in good health. My concern is being kept at sea or unable to come back to the US after my cruise scheduled for late April. I have a friend presently on the Grand Princess afloat off California, so I know being at sea in my stateroom for over a week or two is a real and not attractive prospect. I cancelled a cruise for July and though I lost the deposit it gave me peace of mind. 

19 minutes ago, KJSmom5 said:

We are trying to decide to cancel or not. Our Biggest concern is the chance of quarantine. We are young and healthy. But the possibility of being stuck in quarantine for weeks on a ship with kids is concerning. My kids would go stir crazy. Not to mention the cost of missing work for my husband and I. I agree with other posters that the scenario with Grand Princess will determine a lot. Can someone tell me where I can find the 48 hour cancel for FCC policy from Celebrity? I got the latest email but it did not say that.

You will find all the notifications on Celebrity's Main Page -   at the very top choose TRAVEL ALERT banner at very top. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-with-confidence

5 hours ago, Argo. said:

We are on board silhouette right now for three cruises.  Our cruise, less than one day old has already had two interruptions . 

We're under 60 and are still deciding. We are supposed to board silly on the 15th.  I know about the return to Miami last night, but what was the 2nd interruption?   Last I heard you were heading to Aruba -- on time.

Thanks.  Hope it's smooth sailing moving forward.

Edited by SunNFunCruzer

Cruising out of Seattle the first part of June. The cruise doesn’t worry me so much. It’s Seattle which seems to be a hot bed for the virus. I’m in my 70’s but in good health. I’ve noticed that cruisers are booking the same room for 900 less. May council under the 48 hour policy.

2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Current Events...

Under quarantine a cruise ceases to be a cruise.  It is isolation.  It is not fun or relaxing.  There is no entertainment. The butler is not coming to perform standard services. 

In other words, you don't know this to be a fact.  You are just guessing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

And you know this because?

Have you read any of the accounts of people that have been on the quarantined ships? Yes, sometimes dinner or lunch never arrives. Sometimes calls for medicine or even a check of your or a spouse's fever remain unanswered.  For sure, there is no "Butler" service... the idea is laughable. 

Quarantines are emergency situations -- interaction between staff and guests, guests and guests and staff and staff are kept to a bare minimum.

2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Current Events...

Exactly. But the best information is coming via written descriptions, interviews and photos from actual quarantined cruisers.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

It's an absolute fact.  I am not sure why you are ignoring multiple postings, live television interviews, youtube, social media...and so on, and for some reason focusing on having a debate with me.  I am only hoping you are very well informed of the risks and understand what quarantine is or is not.  Your fixation with arguing with me, well, that's on you. 

You're a well seasoned cruiser.  You gain nothing from going now.  There is zero downside to postponing.  Sticking your head in the sand not only endangers you, but could endanger those who come in contact with you.  "I paid for MY vacation and I AM GOING". 

I wish you safety and good health

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

You don't seem to want the truth regarding this.   I'm sure you are a lovely person who has cruised for many years but we are not guessing.  There are many, many first hand accounts from passengers on these ships.  If you don't believe me please go and have a look at David Abel's videos from before the quarantine up to today.  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKydRcHz9jhu_t247j7JLUQ/videos

Edited by Scottygirl1
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I am not sure how you think all the usual services will be provided if a quarantine situation arises. The crew will also be in quarantine. Their safety is as important to Celebrity as yours. There will not be hundreds of crew in the galley preparing meals. They need to keep their distance from each other too. Certainly you will have more space and comfort in a suite, but there will be hardly any interaction with crew and they will not be entering your suite due to being in quarantine themselves. I am not just guessing, quarantine means just that.

• Like 1

Dh and I recently had the regular flu ...after receiving the enhanced  flu shots this yr. Caught  it flying north  from Fl  or from our grandchild's daycare .

Never had flu  before but this was really terrible..3 to 4 days feeling like we would never recover,  and  more than a week after regaining strength.  Bad enough being in  the comfort of our own home going through this but on a ship would have been much worse. 

With an even worse  virus out there we would not take a chance. Even if you do not catch it...you might be quarantined !

Everyone has  a choice, but X has  def made it financially  easier for some to  cancel..We cancelled  the Summit ( May) from Bayonne to Newport, Bermuda and Charleston. Not high risk now,  but who knows the future.Sad to see it go but much less stress now!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Its a fact based on previous cruises on princess.  People can't leave their cabin.  The big mistake they made on those ships was having the crew do all the deliveries.  They need proper medical personnel brought on board who know safeguards to handle those responsibilities.  As of right now there are 3 ships under a quarantine situation(Diamond princess, Grand Princess, Royal Princess) and 1 possible with the silhouette circling outside FLL.  That plus debarkation/embarkation could be delayed 1 day due to someone coughing or having a fever and you have a recipe for disaster.  Until they have a way of testing in real time on a massive scale, cruising is not going to be fun for a while.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Dh and I recently had the regular flu ...after receiving the enhanced  flu shots this yr. Caught  it flying north  from Fl  or from our grandchild's daycare .

Never had flu  before but this was really terrible..3 to 4 days feeling like we would never recover,  and  more than a week after regaining strength.  Bad enough being in  the comfort of our own home going through this but on a ship would have been much worse. 

With an even worse  virus out there we would not take a chance. Even if you do not catch it...you might be quarantined !

Everyone has  a choice, but X has  def made it financially  easier for some to  cancel..We cancelled  the Summit ( May) from Bayonne to Newport, Bermuda and Charleston. Not high risk now,  but who knows the future.Sad to see it go but much less stress now!

hcat,

Sorry that you got the flu.  I truly hope you and DH are feeling much better!  I know that coronavirus gets all the attention because it is new,  but influenza is a much bigger threat to health with high mortality.  The large number of influenza cases and deaths globally, even with a vaccine, is enormous.  It is probably even higher but a lot of people with flu don't even report it unless really seriously ill.  I agree that the real coronavirus threat for me would be to get caught up in a quarantine.  At this point the genie is out of the bottle.

• Like 1