HEALTHY 70+ CRUISERS, ARE YOU STILL A GO?

Spif Barwunkel

We cancelled our April 24 TA, WE WERE HEADING TO SWITZERLAND AFTERWARD ON TRAIN trip (sorry for caps) then to Germany by car.....amazing trip planned and now going through the hassle of cancelling it all. Unfortunately, too many “what if’s”.

26 minutes ago, gizmodog said:

We cancelled our April 24 TA, WE WERE HEADING TO SWITZERLAND AFTERWARD ON TRAIN trip (sorry for caps) then to Germany by car.....amazing trip planned and now going through the hassle of cancelling it all. Unfortunately, too many “what if’s”.

Hi that's sad but fully understand we are also cancelling. Always another year we'll hopefully 🙄

We had a cruise scheduled next February 2021 and just cancelled.  We are in our 80's and in fairly good health.  I have some back problems but under supervision.  May rebook if current virus situation calms down.

We are 74 and 73 and are still going on our April 11 cruise on Equinox.  We are healthy and feel like we can take precautions to not get sick.  You only have one life to live so you might as well live it.

Pat

• Like 4

I appreciate everyone sharing their concerns and opinions above, as we are all different.  I only hope that sooner, rather than later, things start improving.  I had to cancel a cruise due to a travel buddie getting a cancer diagnosis.  She has since had surgery, is home, and resting.  Life is difficult, but someone always has a situation that is worse.  She will begin radiation soon, and is happy the surgery is done.  

Edited by Lastdance

17 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I appreciate everyone sharing their concerns and opinions above, as we are all different.  I only hope that sooner, rather than later, things start improving.  I had to cancel a cruise due to a travel buddie getting a cancer diagnosis.  She has since had surgery, is home, and resting.  Life is difficult, but someone always has a situation that is worse.  She will begin radiation soon, and is happy the surgery is done.  

you are a good friend!  Kudos.

• Thanks 1

We are booked on the Edge in October for a B2B .. the Adriatic and transatlantic.  Hubby is 73 and I am 72.  I have a compromised immune system and other health issues.  He has his issues too.  All of our excursions are booked and I was ready to book air when this all started. Have put air on hold.  In some ways I think it is harder to make a decision because we do have time before final payment is due.  If we were sailing this spring we would have already cancelled.  Additionally, suffer from silent reflux which causes me to cough.   So far, medication has not made the cough go away.  I carry a letter from my physician which says I am being treated for a chronic cough,  but I doubt that would be helpful in the current situation.  I see the looks people give me when I cough.  Even my friends are nervous being around me.

Last week my travel agent suggested we wait a bit but that was before new Celebrity policy was announced.  I am really torn.   Cruise is months away, but I still wonder if we should cancel and take the refund.  Would lose our insurance costs probably but we would have peace of mind.  Any thoughts?

12 minutes ago, Cookiegirl1329 said:

We are booked on the Edge in October for a B2B .. the Adriatic and transatlantic.  Hubby is 73 and I am 72.  I have a compromised immune system and other health issues.  He has his issues too.  All of our excursions are booked and I was ready to book air when this all started. Have put air on hold.  In some ways I think it is harder to make a decision because we do have time before final payment is due.  If we were sailing this spring we would have already cancelled.  Additionally, suffer from silent reflux which causes me to cough.   So far, medication has not made the cough go away.  I carry a letter from my physician which says I am being treated for a chronic cough,  but I doubt that would be helpful in the current situation.  I see the looks people give me when I cough.  Even my friends are nervous being around me.

Last week my travel agent suggested we wait a bit but that was before new Celebrity policy was announced.  I am really torn.   Cruise is months away, but I still wonder if we should cancel and take the refund.  Would lose our insurance costs probably but we would have peace of mind.  Any thoughts?

If you are asking for thoughts then you probably know the answer.  With the state department latest advisory your insurance would probably not be valid if you were to submit a claim if you went.  We canceled a cruise last week and it was instant relief.  If you look back a week ago it is a lot worse this week and it’s not getting better 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RodPat said:

We are 74 and 73 and are still going on our April 11 cruise on Equinox.  We are healthy and feel like we can take precautions to not get sick.  You only have one life to live so you might as well live it.

Pat

Pat and Rod

We can’t wait to see you on this cruise. We understand and support a decision by anyone to cancel a cruise in this environment,  because that decision is right for them. At the same time the decision to go on this cruise is the right one for us. 

See you both soon.

Randy and Connie

• Like 1

We booked on Equinox 3/21.  I spoke with them yesterday and was told not many canceled at this point.  We do have 48 hrs prior to cancel for FCC.  We are holding off. We live near the port, so no flights involved.  We are healthy at 70 & 74.  I can't make up my mind based on what we read and hear.  

Are many from Europe still coming over?

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Always another perspective,,.

Your post shows there  are  situations in life that are far more important than taking a cruise. We wish your friend well and hope you both have many yrs of cruises and friendship ahead!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cookiegirl1329 said:

I have the same reflux and have been on Prevacid or Nexium for years. Even got the bed wedge to elevate my head. My doctor insisted that if I give up coffee, chocolate and all tomato products ( including my beloved ketchup) the cough will go away. I did and it did!  Good luck.

5 hours ago, Firepath said:

I'm 60, husband 70. Our next cruise isn't until August, so we're not cancelling; yet. The fatality rates for older persons here https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/  are pretty sobering though.

I'm 69 and have a cruise planned for June that I just booked 2 weeks ago.  Unless the cruise is cancelled or I'm ill, you bet I will be on that ship.  If I was in my 80's and in good health, I would feel the same. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Cookiegirl1329 said:

The Celebrity policy that was announced is only for cruises in the next few months. You have time until final payment to make a decision to get the refund to your credit card. We cancelled under the new policy as our cruise begins on 3/20. We get our Celebrity flights and port fees and taxes refunded to our credit card and the cost of the cruise as a FCC.

On 3/7/2020 at 8:42 AM, Wine-O said:

We're flying to Sydney in a little over 5 weeks.  I'm hoping the airplane is 1/2 full or 1/2 empty and the cruise ship is also with all the cancellations.  🍷

When I spoke to Norwegian the other day, I asked how booked the cruise is right now. I was told when the new cancellation policy starts on Tuesday they will know more because a lot of people may cancel and do a future cruise. I told him if the ship will have a minimum amount of people to still sail I still might go as scheduled on May 1st for my 20 day cruise. The least amount of people the better off we are. Having a compromised immune system and being 64 I could be taking a risk. However, I don't care what anyone says, I'll wear a mask if I have to. I found a nice tight fitting respirator mask that looks like a muzzle, it will prevent me from touching my face. Also, I bought these make up brushes I will keep in a sealed bag to use if I need to touch my face. I'm pretty well prepared and informed. I was looking forward to this cruise so much it might be worth dying for. LOL.

Just an FYI. After speaking to Norwegian, there WILL NOT be a quarantine on the ship. If a person is found to be sick, they will be taken off the ship. I will be speaking to them again on Tuesday and will be asking more questions. I had my heart set on my May 1st cruise.

We are currently on a Celebrity ship. 64 &75 yrs,  Crew is working hard in extra cleaning efforts. Most pax  are being diligent  about hand washing  and sanitizing. We are enjoying ourselves but admit we are more cognizant of those coughing,etc. I always travel with a drugstore and added some extra items this trip including Lysol wipes,etc.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RodPat said:

Pat

You can also cruise again in the summer if you pass it up.