HEALTHY 70+ CRUISERS, ARE YOU STILL A GO?

Spif Barwunkel

Although Covid19 has no age discrimination, it seems that most advisories emphasize the importance of 70+ folks not cruising or flying. Granted, those with health issues are probably better off to not put themselves in such confined spaces. However, lately it seems as though healthy seniors are also advised not to travel. I understand the concern and agree, to a certain extent. Whereas people of all ages are cancelling, should 70+ folks in excellent health assume it is automatic that they do not put themselves in harms way? My spouse and I are in excellent health and have four X cruises booked through April 2021. The first is on Infinity in June, Barcelona to Venice via Spain, Greece and Croatia. If indeed this cruise remains a go, we plan to be onboard. We will make up our own minds and do our own thing. But I am curious, other 70+ cruisers, are you still a go?      

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 1

Spif,

Good question but hard to answer. So little is known about the age issue but there will be a huge amount of medical and epidemiological data as time goes on.  We tend to have a bit weaker immune systems as we age but not everybody is the same.  I would think if you have a tendency toward colds and flu or any type of respiratory infections - no matter what age you happen to be- you might be more susceptible to coronavirus.  Just my opinion.

We are scheduled in 6 weeks. Looking at the US mortality rate, in relation to those of other countries, I am thinking we'd be safer away from US medical care!

We have not made a decision yet. Plenty of time!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, farawayatsea said:

I don't think age really has anything to do with it. I think anybody who goes on a cruise in the present circumstances is being reckless and taking a big risk.

If that is your thought / approach, then you can take the action you deem appropriate.

My thought / approach is different, so I'm going on my sailing (assuming the cruise line doesn't cancel). Like many other transmittable diseases, one can catch this at the supermarket, restaurant, office, bus, airplane, sporting event, or other routine human interaction. While I am washing my hands more and (trying to) keep my hands away from my face, I am not stopping my life. Neither are my 80 year old parents (in good health).

I do believe that this is overblown and over-hyped. Not to say it isn't serious (especially for anyone with a loved one impacted), but many diseases cause death. I don't believe this is the plague or as deadly. Time may prove me right. Or wrong. And I'll adjust based on new events and facts, not on every "news" story or anecdote.

However, to each their own... if you would be worried throughout the cruise, you likely wouldn't enjoy it - so what's the point in that? Cancelling is appropriate in that case.

I, however, will be sitting at the sunset bar enjoying a cocktail and a smile.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I travel with my 86 year old mum, we are still going. We’ll take the usual precautions and she’ll take even more weeks of medicines than she normally takes. We are flying from the UK and are hoping to have a wonderful time. 

• Like 3

I’m 69 and my spouse is 72.  Both of us are in good health with no underlying issues.  Have a cruise scheduled for the end of this month.  Am I afraid of catching the virus on board?  No.  Am I afraid of winding up like the Grand Princess cruisers in quarantine?  Yes!  Haven’t decided whether to cancel or not yet.  Will probably be based on how the Grand saga goes...unless someone can convince me that the Grand developed from circumstances that would not occur on a Caribbean cruise out of Florida...

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, killsport said:

If that is your thought / approach, then you can take the action you deem appropriate.

My thought / approach is different, so I'm going on my sailing (assuming the cruise line doesn't cancel). Like many other transmittable diseases, one can catch this at the supermarket, restaurant, office, bus, airplane, sporting event, or other routine human interaction. While I am washing my hands more and (trying to) keep my hands away from my face, I am not stopping my life. Neither are my 80 year old parents (in good health).

I do believe that this is overblown and over-hyped. Not to say it isn't serious (especially for anyone with a loved one impacted), but many diseases cause death. I don't believe this is the plague or as deadly. Time may prove me right. Or wrong. And I'll adjust based on new events and facts, not on every "news" story or anecdote.

However, to each their own... if you would be worried throughout the cruise, you likely wouldn't enjoy it - so what's the point in that? Cancelling is appropriate in that case.

I, however, will be sitting at the sunset bar enjoying a cocktail and a smile.

Thank you for your post!!!!!!!!!  I could not have said it any better.   

• Like 1

DH and I both are 70 and in good health. We have a cruise on the Reflection in May, still far enough in the future to delay any decision. Right now, we have no plans to cancel unless Celebrity does. Not all 70+ are the same, and for us, age is not a consideration.
We all know the genie is out of the bottle, and it may be a matter of time before this disease is everywhere. I think the possibility of getting sick on land will eventually be roughly the same as any traveling. It’s the fear of being quarantined either on the ship or in a place far from home that, for me, is more scary than the actual disease, and that why we could consider cancelling.

We are technically both retired, but both have part time jobs where we interact with the public, and that could be more of a risk than our ages. We just found out several officials in the next town from us have apparently been exposed to the coronavirus, and will be self isolated for the next 2 weeks. It’s possible it will spread, and we could be exposed before we get to cruise!

Everyone has to make the best decision for themselves, and what they are comfortable doing. I’m hoping that the situation is much clearer in a few weeks. But if this epidemic doesn’t slow down by May, not cruising will be the least of our worries.

Edited by soccermommy
  • Like 2

We are both mid-70s and will be flying to the Edge next week.  We will take extra meds.  I am more worried about my sister (we live together), who has gleefully planned a trip from GA to SFO in late April to visit her youngest daughter for 2 weeks.  Said daughter just texted yesterday that starting Monday her office will be closed to the public.  She works in hospital billing, although I believe she is in a back office and seldom interacts with the public.  We also have two cruises booked for June.  EM

We were very much looking forward to taste the brand new Apex, but Israel decided to take draconic measures to contain the virus, quarantining travelers from many countries. We fear that by the time we'll be back from the cruise (5th April), UK will be among those, so plan to cancel...

• Like 1

We have 4 cruises booked for the rest of the year and are still going however we are not flying but using Bayonne departures.   We made that decision long before the latest illness came up due to other personal reasons.  If the line cancels, then we are OK with it but for now we are still going.    I honestly worry more about local restaurants and shopping locations than Royal or Celebrity ships.  But, yes, that is just my opinion for now and could change later. 

We are 70 and healthy and love our vacations. We've done lots of cruises in the past. We have no cruises booked presently. We may start cruising again some day.

This pause in cruising  started three years ago due to our perception that the negatives of cruising began to outweigh the positives for us. We certainly see no need to resume cruising until this thing settles.

As it stands, yes we could be infected near home and on land, but going home can be more problematic from an "infected cruise ship".

It is great to have choices.

Edited by OuiOnboard

We're in our early 70's and have a mid-April cruise to Hawaii coming up next. Even with the Cruise With Confidence plan in place, we aren't ready to pull the pin yet. We'll continue to monitor things and make our decision closer to departure time.

• Like 3

If you are not worried about becoming personally ill, and can afford the time and/or not working/derive income of a quarantine period go ahead.  Each person decides their own threshold for comfort, but this is a consideration anyone should ask themselves. 

I think re-entering yourself to your home community immediately after a cruise because you feel fine is reckless though given what we have seen about the virus propagation. Is a cruise right now worth that? Many here are experienced cruisers; you'll enjoy the same great cruise experience at another date without any worry. 

• Like 4