Dr. Fauci: "Above all, don't get on a cruise ship."

SumoCitrus

5 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Why nothing about flying on a germ factory airplane?

The advisory from the State Department includes a warning about long distance travel on a plane.

Passengers on Cruise Ships

U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship.  CDC notes increased risk of infection of COVID-19 in a cruise ship environment. In order to curb the spread of COVID-19, many countries have implemented strict screening procedures that have denied port entry rights to ships and prevented passengers from disembarking.  In some cases, local authorities have permitted disembarkation but subjected passengers to local quarantine procedures.  While the U.S. government has evacuated some cruise ship passengers in recent weeks, repatriation flights should not be relied upon as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities.  

This is a fluid situation.  CDC notes that older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease.  This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships.  Passengers with plans to travel by cruise ship should contact their cruise line companies directly for further information and continue to monitor the Travel.state.gov website and see the latest information from the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html

If there is one person involved in the Administration's response to this crisis, it is Dr. Fauci.  Why?  He has the expertise that any and all of the politicians involved in this situation lack.

What does the Vice-President know?  What does the President know?  What does the Secretary of Health and Human Services know?  If it's not in a position paper from which they can read--and then be able to reasonably answer questions about what they have just read, they know little.

• Like 5

I speculated a day or two ago on one of these threads that the decision was about to be made for the cruise industry.  The writing was on the wall with the second Princess ship situation.  Too many resources to devote to people who are now willingly putting themselves into risky situations for leisure travel. I was hoping I was wrong.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

If there is one person involved in the Administration's response to this crisis, it is Dr. Fauci.  Why?  He has the expertise that any and all of the politicians involved in this situation lack.

What does the Vice-President know?  What does the President know?  What does the Secretary of Health and Human Services know?  If it's not in a position paper from which they can read--and then be able to reasonably answer questions about what they have just read, they know little.

I agree with this. Fauci isn't some political hack. He has an incredibly long and remarkable history (see below). I think he is trustworthy.

https://www.niaid.nih.gov/about/anthony-s-fauci-md-bio

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, SumoCitrus said:

I agree with this. Fauci isn't some political hack. He has an incredibly long and remarkable history (see below). I think he is trustworthy.

https://www.niaid.nih.gov/about/anthony-s-fauci-md-bio

His statement was the deciding factor in cancelling our cruise.

13 minutes ago, SumoCitrus said:

Edited by 57redbird
none
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, CruisingAndDiving said:

The key words in his statement "those with underlying health issues are more at risk"

As both DW and I have no underlying health issues, we are going on a cruise.  

Isn't there also the issue of "those already vulnerable"?  Like in being old?   🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

That comes hand-in-hand with whatever vulnerability you have.  I'm not either so I'm going.  That said, given that the demographic on HAL is certainly older it will be interesting to see who's left after all this when I head out on the 18th.  Provided a blanket ban doesn't happen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AncientWanderer said:

Isn't there also the issue of "those already vulnerable"?  Like in being old?   🤷‍♀️

Indeed there are a number of variables here.  Ultimately it comes down to each of us to decide whether to cruise or not.  As our upcoming cruise is a TA from Fort Lauderdale to Rome , I'm watching closely.  AT this time, there is no travel advisory for southern Italy.  We have our air through HAL's Flight Ease, so if there is a change in disembarkation point, HAL has to make those air arrangements for us.  We have Platinum CPP, so can cancel for any reason up to boarding the aircraft and get 90% back.   For informational purposes, the head of the Public Health Agency of Canada made a similar (nearly word for word) announcement on Friday.  I'm mindful about all of this, and informed about all of this, but not stupid about all of this.

The cruise industry is not being shut down, despite what others may think.  

• Like 2

You're right - it is up to each one to decide for him/herself.  I am just so happy that HAL has given us the ability to wait and see for a bit - whether things seem to be getting under control, or if the virus runs rampant.   We are watching for CDC announcements and Government of Canada warnings or advisories.

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 4

If you do decide to go on a cruise despite the government warnings that have been issued, I would be prepared for the possibility if not the inevitability of not being able to get off the ship and\or being quarantined for an extended period of time. Lots of ramifications involved in that, some hidden ones like if you are on prescription medication do you have enough with you, do you have sufficient funds available, do you have work or family obligations. I mean the list is long.

All because you don't want to be inconvenienced? Stay home and go

another time.

All that Dr. Faucci is interested in doing is stopping the possibility of a contagious disease spreading. You may not be a victim but you could be a carrier and a contributor.

• Like 8

Just now, Vict0riann said:

You're right - it is up to each one to decide for him/herself.  I am just so happy that HAL has given us the ability to wait and see for a bit - whether things seem to be getting under control, or if the virus runs rampant.   We are watching for CDC announcements and Government of Canada warning or advisories.

Absolutely, informed decisions are wise ones!  Should things intensify, we will cancel...or if the entire EU bloc is locked down because of the virus...or if HAL cancels the cruise altogether..otherwise, we're going

• Like 2

We have little idea how far the virus has spread because so few people have been tested.

Everyday there are millions of people all over the world walking through crowded airports, coughing and sneezing then getting into a metal tube sitting near, sharing toilets,  and interacting with hundreds of fellow passengers who have likely been through even more airports and connecting flights.  The vast majority of these passengers get off the plane and go on their merry way.  We literally have little if any idea as to how many of these people might have been infected and maybe showing no symptoms. 

These passengers then go to the local mall, local sporting events, concerts, churches, work places, etc possibly infecting even more people.  Again, we have little idea how far the virus has spread because so few people have been tested.  Many of the infected likely think they have the flu or a cold and just stay home (hopefully) a few days and recover without ever going to a doctor or being tested for corona.

Meantime all over the world there are hundreds of cruise ships sailing around with tens of thousands of passengers embarking and disembarking. Not a word about any problems or testing. Out of all these ships the media has picked up on fewer than ten ships that have had a problem. Unfortunately in the age of BREAKIN NEWS these stories have been hyped to the heavens spreading a lot of disinformation and fear.  

The Lt Gov of Hawaii is calling for a complete ban of all cruise ships docking in the state for 60 days.  Hawaii thus far has ONE confirmed case of the virus from one man who happened to sail on a Princess ship and then flew home to the islands.  How anyone knows if he caught the virus on the ship or perhaps on his flight home of course is not explained.

Meantime every day thousands of people arrive in Hawaii via airplanes, stay in hotels with thousands of others, ride around on tour buses,go to shopping malls etc....also at the same ports everyday dozens of cargo ships pass through full of supplies for the islands staffed by crew members who freely go ashore to mix and mingle.  So does the Lt Gov want to stop all flights and freighters from arriving in Hawaii in an "abundance of caution"?  How is that going to work out when there is no food , no gas, no medications etc being shipped to islands that are almost totally dependent upon imports?  Just imagine the economic chaos in alaska and caribbean ports if cruise ship port calls were cancelled in US ports?

Do we really know for a fact that cruise ship passengers have a signifcantly higher rate of infection than airline passengers?  The answer is no we do not know.  There is much speculation about petri dishes etc but we are simply not sure at what levels that airports, sporting events, etc might not also be petri dishes but we just do not know about it YET.

A cruise ship with 3500 on board is about 12 or so big airplanes full of people.  How about we test all the passengers and crew on 20 or so random flights as well as all the people on a few cruise ships and see what those stats are and how they compare before we leap to all kinds of conclusions regarding cruise ships?

I guess my point is that Government officials and the media might want to be a bit more restrained in all the anti cruise ship hype or at least attempt to balance their reports with equal reporting on other transport and means of contracting and spreading the virus.  They might also want to report on the millions of people who continue to travel via air and ships with apparently no known problems.

Here is another take on the risks:

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NordicPrince said:

If you do decide to go on a cruise despite the government warnings that have been issued, I would be prepared for the possibility if not the inevitability of not being able to get off the ship and\or being quarantined for an extended period of time. Lots of ramifications involved in that, some hidden ones like if you are on prescription medication do you have enough with you, do you have sufficient funds available, do you have work or family obligations. I mean the list is long.

All because you don't want to be inconvenienced? Stay home and go

another time.

All that Dr. Faucci is interested in doing is stopping the possibility of a contagious disease spreading. You may not be a victim but you could be a carrier and a contributor.

First of all, I will follow Canadian Health regulations and advisories first and foremost, with those issued by US authorities second.

Second, neither my wife or I are on any medications.

Third, I'm very well aware of my work obligations and what my employer expects and will provide in that instance.

Just because you don't want to go, do tell me I can't

You can now just as easily get COVID 19 by going to the grocery store, or doctor's office, or anywhere public.

Are you just going to lock yourself in your house for the next year?

Edited by CruisingAndDiving
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, CruisingAndDiving said:

First of all, I will follow Canadian Health regulations and advisories first and foremost, with those issued by US authorities second.

Second, neither my wife or I are on any medications.

Third, I'm very well aware of my work obligations and what my employer expects and will provide in that instance.

Just because you don't want to go, do tell me I can't

Nobody said you can't (as of yet). Just consider yourself duly notified.

But I was wondering, if the cruise companies continue to operate and leaving it up to individual choice despite governmental directives, are they potentially liable for further incidents on their ships?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dockman said:

I guess my point is that Government officials and the media might want to be a bit more restrained in all the anti cruise ship hype or at least attempt to balance their reports with equal reporting on other transport and means of contracting and spreading the virus.  They might also want to report on the millions of people who continue to travel via air and ships with apparently no known problems.

Here is another take on the risks:

Thank you for a well-reasoned commentary. And the link. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, mamaofami said:

We cancelled our plane reservations from Florida under doctors orders and had a choice of driving 17hours with overnight stops and restaurant meals or taking the auto train. We opted for the train and hope we’ll be safe taking all precautions we can. We have Roometts.

My daughter and grandsons live in   New Rochelle, Westchester county, ground zero for thee NY virus.His school is closed and he’s been in quarantine all week.

Not planning on any other travel by sea or air for a while.

We took autotrain once and had a roomette and it was unbearable. No sleep for us. Also, would think the germ factor would be the same as on an airplane. If not worse since you are captive in close  quarters way longer than a flight. Plus you have to eat meals on there. 

2 hours ago, mgetta3 said:

Read this and decided we should cancel since we're in our 70's and have diabetes and asthma.   Then I looked at HAL's prices on our same cruise for next year and they have doubled the price!  Has anyone else seen the same thing?

Are you talking about cruises to Europe? I checked our 2021 voyage and the price has remained the same. The reason I ask if you were referring to Europe is because those prices are a new program that is all inclusive - includes cruise, airfare, drinks, gratuity and onboard spending - looks very expensive at first glance until you factor in what is included. You can also choose a less expensive non-refundable fare. Thank you.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, laumicmah said:

We took autotrain once and had a roomette and it was unbearable. No sleep for us.

Sanford to Lorton for me in late January on Auto Train in a roomette as a solo traveler.  For two people:  I wouldn't do it.  Sleep?  Yes, I did.  Did the railroad roadbed provide for a smooth ride? No, but that's not Amtrak's fault.  Service?  HAL friendly service in the Sleeper, Diner, and Lounge Car.  My dinner in the Diner was good--not Pinnacle Grill quality but did not expect that.  Breakfast before Lorton was just OK, however.

Dr Fauci did say in his interview that the reason he warned against cruises was because of the strong possibility of being quarantined and being restrained in an environment conducive to the spread of virus.  Separately he mentioned age and underlying conditions as a reason to forego crowded conditions including air travel. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Dr Fauci did say in his interview that the reason he warned against cruises was because of the strong possibility of being quarantined and being restrained in an environment conducive to the spread of virus.  Separately he mentioned age and underlying conditions as a reason to forego crowded conditions including air travel. 

We’re getting the same warnings here in Canada.

As well as the warnings that the ships will not be welcomed and possibly turned away.  Depressing times.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, anaco_angler said:

I wonder if HAL will now amend its recent policy and provide refunds instead of FCC. There's no way to tell when it will be safe to book a cruise. 

I hope they will now offer a full refund!  

• Like 2