Greetings From The Pacific Princess

hpeabody

Greetings from the Indian Ocean on board the Pacific Princess 2020 World Cruise.  I thought I would share a bit about our situation. The 2020 World Cruise began officially from Fort Lauderdale/Port Everglades on Jan 5th (I joined in LA on Jan 20th)  The Corona virus had just barely come into being when the cruise began.  The Pacific Princess had come from Europe and crossed the Atlantic and has not been in any Asian port in a very long time.  The cruise started out well, but then we missed the port of Rangiroa in French Polynesia due to “port congestion” We were ported in Moorea instead and then had an overnight in Papeete.  All is still pretty well.  We then headed to New Zealand, but a severe storm prevented us from seeing the Fjordlands and Stewart Island.  We were ported in Christchurch instead.  We crossed “the ditch” / Tasman Sea to get to Australia and made all our intended Australia ports.  This is now where things start to go askew.  We were informed that the ship would be denied entry to Bali, Singapore and Phuket, Thailand.  We instead sailed to Western Australia where we spent 4 unscheduled days.  We were informed on Mar 1st that the Maldives will not welcome ANY cruise ship and we make a call to a second port in the Seychelles.  Then we were to go on to Sri Lanka (A 7 day crossing instead of 3) Yesterday, Mar 5th we were informed that NO PASSENGERS OR CREW would be allowed to disembark in Colombo.  This will now be considered a “Service Call” only to take on only necessary provisions, but not all the goods that were supposed to be.  This would mean that the people who had booked the Taj Mahal overland trip would NOT be making that trip, which was a major bucket list item for some.  Today, Mar 6th we had a full Q & A session with the Captain, ship’s Doctor and Hotel General Manager which was of course packed.  Many issues were brought up, everything from specifics about Corona virus, impact to the rest of our itinerary, compensation from Princess to hand washing and ship sanitation.  No one knows what our fate will ultimately be at this moment.  The good news is … we are a very SAFE SHIP and probably better off here than any other place.  We are being very well taken care of by staff and crew and my fellow passengers have been pretty amazing.  It is difficult for all of us being in this very unusual predicament.

UPDATE: Mar 9th

This is our 6th day at sea since we left Australia.  The Indian Ocean has been much calmer than what we had been experiencing and some very nice weather as well.  We are seeing a very noticeable significant increase in sanitizing of the ship and a person is now stationed at the hand sanitizer pumps.  I believe this is in reaction to discussion at the earlier Q & A briefing.  The plan is still for the “Service Call” in Sri Lanka on Wednesday Mar 11th, which is expected to be 4 to 5 hours. Then we head back out to sea.  The Maldives is going to maintain their closure to cruise ships it seems.  The Seychelles may be the next port possibility.  Nosy Be, Madagascar is currently looking doubtful.  As of yet we do not know definitively when or where we will be allowed to port.  We are being told that there are almost hourly changes and discussions going on all the time. 

Among the passengers there is a lot of disappointment as we realize this specific cruise itinerary on this Pacific Princess can never be replicated. We continue to be very well taken care of. Spirits tend to remain pretty good on board.  Passengers are enjoying the pool and the planned activities and getting to know each other. We have aptly named our scavenger hunt group Lost at Sea.   I think we passengers are all mindful that we are a very SAFE SHIP and probably better off here than any other place. We just hope we will be welcome back in the US when we arrive at Fort Lauderdale/Port Everglades at the end of April without any issues or quarantine.    

Also, I am injured 😞  On my tour in Picton, NZ I was reaching for my backpack to get money at lunch and took a spill.  I went sideways and landed hand down on the floor and it jarred my whole arm.  I have a slight fracture with no dislocation at the top of the humerus bone on my right arm (Yes, of course, I am right handed)   The ship’s doctor and medical staff are very good.  I need to wear a “cuff sling” for another week or so and up to 8 weeks of healing time.  It is painful and very annoying.  In this situation the ship is absolutely the best place for me.  .

UPDATE: Mar 9th

Great News!  I saw the doctor today and he says I am “not doing good, I am doing bloody good” (He is from South Africa)  I no longer need to wear the “cuff sling” YAY!  and continue to do my PT exercises the same as I have been.  I still have healing to do and should be mostly back to normal in 2-3 weeks.

Edited by hpeabody
  • Like 11

14 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

Greetings from the Indian Ocean on board the Pacific Princess 2020 World Cruise. 

Sorry to hear of the port issues on the Pacific.  I'd have to look up the situation in all those countries, but with a clean ship, you may be suffering from a built-up reputation with Princess after Diamond, Grand, Regal, Caribbean scares - and not all those have actual COVIG-19 cases.

I am curious to know the state of the Internet service on Pacific.  Has it been upgraded at all?  What are the package offerings for unlimited?  (I believe it is Basic, Surf, Premium type packages).  Has anything been said about improving the Internet speed in the next year?

Thanks and keep up the good PT work!!

I love your positive outlook, enjoy the rest of your cruise & hopefully some Port time! You are certainly on a gorgeous ship.

Please keep us updated on your journey, when you can! Safe travels. 

Vicki. 😁

Glad you are in warmer waters where you can have some outdoor leisure.  You are indeed some of the safest cruisers out there being isolated from this nasty bug - hope you enjoy that peace of mind as you cruise along!  Congrats on healing so quickly - nice!

Thanks for letting us know how your cruise is going.  Sorry to hear about the various issues and I'm glad to hear your injury is healing well.

Love the positive spin on the cruise and hoping that you really enjoy the rest of the sailing.  

Wow you have enlightened me to what can go wrong on a cruise; and how to deal with it.  Go with the flow and don't let disruptions ruin the cruise.  Keep coming back with updates.  It cheers me to see your arm is doing better.

• Like 2

We were on the very first leg of your cruise (Fort Lauderdale to LA via Panama Canal) and disembarked at LA, so did not get a chance to meet you. Sorry to hear of your personal trials as well as those of the ship. We've been following the ship's location as it tracked along on its 111 day journey.  Yours is the first real report "live" from the ship that we've seen.  Hang in there! Our thoughts and prayers have been with you all along.

It’s good to hear the efforts have been stepped up onboard. The Pacific has been lax with hand sanitizer and sanitation efforts in the buffet the 2 times we’ve been aboard (Most recently on the cruise right before yours), so it was time to step it up. It’s so nice you’re on a small ship that can band together and have a Q&A. Wishing you smooth sailing and happy you’re healing!

Thank you for a helpful and positive post.  We will be sailing on her in June and can't wait to get back 'home.'  I hope that you will continue to heal and that things will look up for you.  

My husband was wondering who is the Maître d and the head captain in the main dining room these days.

I hope you have nothing but smooth sailing ahead for you! 

Thanks for letting us all know what is happening on the World Cruise.

We were on her for the Christmas, New Years portion and were supposed to remain on for the World Cruise but decided last year that it wouldn't work for us.

I was curious what was happening with ports so am interested to hear what will transpire as you make you way around the world.

UPDATE Thursday night here in the Indian Ocean

We started getting the word something was going on about Suspending all cruises at the end of dinner.  People were starting to see things on the internet.  During the show the Captain came on PA and told us there was a video we need to watch on Channel 43 and THAT WAS ALL.  The video told us nothing about what will happen to us.  That's all we have at this point.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

UPDATE Thursday night here in the Indian Ocean

We started getting the word something was going on about Suspending all cruises at the end of dinner.  People were starting to see things on the internet.  During the show the Captain came on PA and told us there was a video we need to watch on Channel 43 and THAT WAS ALL.  The video told us nothing about what will happen to us.  That's all we have at this point.

From the Princess announcement at their website concerning current cruisers on a voyage. "Those currently onboard a cruise that will end in the next five days will continue to sail as expected through the end of the itinerary so that onward travel arrangements are not disrupted. Current voyages that are underway and extend beyond March 17 will be ended at the most convenient location for guests, factoring in operational requirements. Princess will do everything possible to return each guest home with the greatest amount of care possible. During this time, our operations and medical teams across the fleet will remain vigilant in their care and service for guests and crew onboard."

Looks like you'll have to make your way home from somewhere in Africa.  Strongly recommend you read the announcement and the future cruise credit policies Princess has proposed.  I suspect they will figure out the fare balance for your unused portion of the WC voyage and base your options from there.  Good luck.

Princess web site announcement at

https://www.princess.com/news/pdfs/voluntary-60-day-pause-of-global-ship-operations.pdf

does not mention the Pacific Princess, either under the category voyages continuing until the scheduled end or the cruises that will end early.

Please post if you learn anything on board.

Received an email from friends onboard about an hour ago telling me that they were headed back to Australia.  They have not yet been told whether it will be Perth/Fremantle 10 days or Sydney  14 days where they will all be flown home.  They have been told that their cruise fare will be refunded.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, texswamper said:

Received an email from friends onboard about an hour ago telling me that they were headed back to Australia.  They have not yet been told whether it will be Perth/Fremantle 10 days or Sydney  14 days where they will all be flown home.  They have been told that their cruise fare will be refunded.  

Thank you! I just heard the same!