Jim_Iain – East meets West Equinox Caribbean – B2B2B -March 14 to April 4

Jim_Iain

53 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Planes are going out of here pretty full as everyone trying to get home but better availability on Monday.   I suspect Miami and Fort Lauderdale are going to see a huge drop in their local business.   I spoke to a housekeeper today and she said she only got 3 days work this week and it was really hurting.

On the Equinox that had been scheduled to leave today, our stateroom attendant from a few weeks ago only had 3 rooms with cruisers.  I believe he had 11 or 12 with us.  

I imagine the planes are full  leaving. FLL  I was looking to leave Florida later in the week and there is a lot of availability.  

Well had a relaxing day in FLL. 

Had lunch at The Lunch Room.  Really great food and friendly service.  Split a sandwich 🥪 and was really filled. 

Embassy Suites is very calm tonight

0A4ACC65-E38A-4051-A2A1-B5840DFE951C.thumb.jpeg.e1ae4c6e755c07e4b677acaed90f8e14.jpeg

you all know what free cocktail hour is like.   Maybe 💯 guests in total. 

CFCD1397-1CA4-424F-9F42-39EC9D473140.thumb.jpeg.9e70e11e0841fc711a9b078cdbe0f323.jpeg

they are pouring doubles. 

A2C6C62B-95E1-44E2-9C9F-F6E5410A2EB6.thumb.jpeg.0a08ab3ed5583982b81c760222c7e187.jpeg

• Like 14

Jim

Looks like Iain stole your “double.“ 

I know it’s not what you envisioned, but you have certainly handled the situation with the maturity and grace that we have come to know about you.

Randy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jim, sorry to hear about your crappy situation, it’s Sunday morning (3/15) and someone may have already suggested this or you may have already made plans BUT, if you haven’t—rent a car and drive down US 1 to Key West!  You will love the “adventure”, stop along the way to Mrs. Mac’s, or Henretta’s or Chads.  Great restaurants.  If you have never been to Key West, it will be a hoot!  We’ve been there a few times, good luck Jim, hope our paths cross in the future.

50 minutes ago, Pickels said:

Jim, sorry to hear about your crappy situation, it’s Sunday morning (3/15) and someone may have already suggested this or you may have already made plans BUT, if you haven’t—rent a car and drive down US 1 to Key West!  You will love the “adventure”, stop along the way to Mrs. Mac’s, or Henretta’s or Chads.  Great restaurants.  If you have never been to Key West, it will be a hoot!  We’ve been there a few times, good luck Jim, hope our paths cross in the future.

Jim said they were trying to head back on Monday if they can get flights.  IF the Spring Breakers have shown up, driving down the Keys would be a major headache,  hotels would be expensive, and Key West would be a zoo.  I am assuming a lot of restaurants might be closed.  It's not a good time to do that.  They probably want to get back home and chill.  😎

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We were just joking.   Just before we left, Iain said  " I wonder if Friday the 13th is a bad omen".   

Image result for friday 13th bad omen

Intuition...😲

We are enjoying ourselves in FLL.    Decided just to relax and play around locally.

Last night for Dinner we went to a little place down the street -  Giorgio.   Absolutely incredible food.   We both agreed the best Pizza we have ever had and the   Tiramisu was to die for.   Iain makes a great Tiramisu and even admitted it was as good or better than his. 

To add to the enjoyment they poured a really generous glass of wine. 

image.png.c89dd0f9808ae21a93d9add01c84293e.png

Image result for giorgios pizza

Image result for tiramisu

• Like 5

2 hours ago, cluso said:

Jim said they were trying to head back on Monday if they can get flights.  IF the Spring Breakers have shown up, driving down the Keys would be a major headache,  hotels would be expensive, and Key West would be a zoo.  I am assuming a lot of restaurants might be closed.  It's not a good time to do that.  They probably want to get back home and chill.  😎

We do have a flight booked.   We could have gone home earlier but would have had to pay an extra $2,000 for our First Class ticket.   On Monday we have a nice flight around noon and the change fees were waived.   For some reason we had to pay 20 Cents each to change our ticket.   It probably cost them more to process our 40 cent payment than they received.

The weather is a nice 80 degrees and sunny here in FLL and only a slight chance of showers.   Heading home, Northern California is getting hit with rainy weather and snow levels down to 2,000 ft.   We aren't complaining as we had no rain in February which is normally our wettest month.  

Was watching the news this morning and Miami is close some of their beaches at 5:00 PM.    This is only partially due to the virus but violence.   Last night there was a problem with Spring Breakers and an officer involved shooting took place.   People were running and pushing.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are enjoying ourselves in FLL.    Decided just to relax and play around locally.

Last night for Dinner we went to a little place down the street -  Giorgio.   Absolutely incredible food.   We both agreed the best Pizza we have ever had and the   Tiramisu was to die for.   Iain makes a great Tiramisu and even admitted it was as good or better than his. 

Around the corner from Giorgi's is Kelly's Landing--New England style seafood, if you are so inclined.   Lots of restaurants around there, don't know if any of them are closing for Covid-19.  Sunday tends to have fewer open.

Yep, gotta watch out for those Spring Breakers...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cluso said:

Around the corner from Giorgi's is Kelly's Landing--New England style seafood, if you are so inclined.   Lots of restaurants around there, don't know if any of them are closing for Covid-19.  Sunday tends to have fewer open.

Yep, gotta watch out for those Spring Breakers...

thanks.  Will give it a look.   All restaurants are open but are saying business down at least 50%. 

We stopped by Publix yesterday.   It was jammed with panic buyers.  Even Total Wine was doing a brisk business. 

So sorry to hear about your cancelled trip. On the bright side you are seeing the sun. I live in the north bay (Santa Rosa) and it’s been raining the last couple days and is expected to continue for next few days.

30 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

thanks.  Will give it a look.   All restaurants are open but are saying business down at least 50%. 

We stopped by Publix yesterday.   It was jammed with panic buyers.  Even Total Wine was doing a brisk business. 

🤗🤗 I would think the wine and liquor stores are jammed full of people hoping to party at home or have a few to ease their stress!  

51 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

This is standard operating procedure when hurricanes are headed our way.  Add to that the hardware stores for plywood, tarps, generators, etc.  All over Florida--we are in the Panhandle on the Gulf Coast--@ a 9 hour drive from FLL (and different time zone).  Stores are used to it. 🤪

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We do have a flight booked.   We could have gone home earlier but would have had to pay an extra $2,000 for our First Class ticket.   On Monday we have a nice flight around noon and the change fees were waived.  

The e-mail that we got from X said that for cruisers already in Florida, they would pay for the hotel and/or airfare home. Did you not receive the same e-mail? Surely they are going to reimburse you?

Great attitude, either way, Jim!

3 hours ago, cluso said:

This is standard operating procedure when hurricanes are headed our way.  Add to that the hardware stores for plywood, tarps, generators, etc.  All over Florida--we are in the Panhandle on the Gulf Coast--@ a 9 hour drive from FLL (and different time zone).  Stores are used to it. 🤪

I am so used to getting gasoline for generator, filling the tank of the car, and buying batteries/flashlights.  Here we have people loading up with paper towels and toilet paper.  Paper plates are a hot item as well.

Liquor stores are not any busier than usual around here.  

56 minutes ago, FeliciaLee said:

The e-mail that we got from X said that for cruisers already in Florida, they would pay for the hotel and/or airfare home. Did you not receive the same e-mail? Surely they are going to reimburse you?

Great attitude, either way, Jim!

I don't remember them saying that they would pay for the hotel and/or airfare home.  They did mention that they would help with the arrangements, if I remember correctly.

My heart aches for Jim and Lain for the abrupt end to anticipating their B2B2B. 

6 minutes ago, actdir said:

I don't remember them saying that they would pay for the hotel and/or airfare home.  They did mention that they would help with the arrangements, if I remember correctly.

My heart aches for Jim and Lain for the abrupt end to anticipating their B2B2B. 

Seriously? By assist they didn't mean compensate monetarily???  Wow. Now it seems to add insult to injury!

6 hours ago, BEAV said:

I know you flew up front, but how full (or empty!) was the economy section on your flights on Friday?  Quiet or busy around the boarding gate areas?

Almost. Full with a waitlist of over 50 in coach.  We would have had to pay 800 on top of our first class ticket to get a confirmed seat.   Thus we stayed. 

That was Saturday as we did not arrive until 1:00am  (Sat) 

6 hours ago, Airrace said:

So sorry to hear about your cancelled trip. On the bright side you are seeing the sun. I live in the north bay (Santa Rosa) and it’s been raining the last couple days and is expected to continue for next few days.

We were watching the Bay Area weAther.  We have YouTube TV so able to watch CBS5.   Saw Sunnyvale got 1 inch of rain and Mt Hamilton got 1.5 inches of snow. 

We thought we would miss the nasty weather.