Size of Carry on Luggage?

Sandra1616

Hi there

Is there a carry on luggage size, that all cruise lines accept?  Do you know from when you last travelled or looked it up what size carry on luggage your cruise line allow you to carry on?  Twenty inch spinners appear small for a cruise lasting about 7 days.  Some luggage out there seems very expensive and some dirt cheap.  Are people going to notice or care if my luggage, if it is or isn't designer luggage?  Thanks, Sandra

How do you pack for 7 days of dressing for mostly casual cruising activities with other people and meeting new people in the Caribbean without over packing or not packing enough?  

Cruise lines don't care what size your luggage is, as long as it meets weight restrictions (I think it's 70 pounds each). If it will fit through an airport style security scanner, you can carry it onto the ship. If it won't fit, then check it in with the ship terminal luggage handlers for delivery to your cabin. And nobody but you cares what brand your luggage is. If you are flying to your embarkation port, then you are limited in your carry on size by that airline's carry on policy. If it's too big, then check it.

Make a list of what you are likely to want to wear each day and each evening. Evening wear can usually be worn more than once, and nobody will notice or care if you've with it before. If it won't all fit into a carry on size bag, then get a bigger bag and pay to check it at the airport. Considering what a cruise costs, the extra baggage fee is a pittance.

• Thanks 1

Sandra: breathe out. Slowly.
It's not nearly as serious as you may think.
As for carry-on size baggage, the airlines are the critical factor here, not the cruise lines. The cruise lines will let you take as much luggage into your cabin (as long as each piece is liftable!) as you like, just as "Mom Says" has written.
Make a list of what you need to take to get an idea of the baggage you'll need.
And no, no-one's going to bat an eyelid about your luggage.
Enjoy yourself. It's a vacation.

Cruise lines would prefer that your checked baggage not weigh more than 50 pounds, to save the backs of the baggage handlers.  That's the only requirement.  As far as a 20" carryon, it is fine for me for at least 14 days.  I do a lot of mix and match and do or send out laundry.  EM

I am just  fine with a 23 kg checked in luggage and a 8-12 kg carry on.The cruise lines don't mind the size of your luggae,but airlines do. So, hopefully you are driving to port if you have supersized luggage 🙂

On 3/11/2020 at 2:24 PM, Sandra1616 said:

Hi there

Is there a carry on luggage size, that all cruise lines accept?  Do you know from when you last travelled or looked it up what size carry on luggage your cruise line allow you to carry on?  Twenty inch spinners appear small for a cruise lasting about 7 days.  Some luggage out there seems very expensive and some dirt cheap.  Are people going to notice or care if my luggage, if it is or isn't designer luggage?  Thanks, Sandra

How do you pack for 7 days of dressing for mostly casual cruising activities with other people and meeting new people in the Caribbean without over packing or not packing enough?  

You can bring more then just what you can fit into your carry on flight restrictions ( one roller board and one personal item ).

As to whether one can live with one roller board and one personal item, in warm weather one weeks, my whole family of 5 including two ladies easily did it with their extra shoes and formal wear, easy, be very organized and systematic and you can do it.

As to does the cruise have a limit?  How big is your cabin.   I've seen some people bring carry on spinner, personal item, and 1 medium and/or a large luggage.  Not sure what they are bring but the luggage is loaded and dropped by the line. Never seen them weight it, it's a ship.   

As to what you can carry on, they have similar x-ray as airlines, spinner's /roller boards fit, medium sized nope.

For warm weather if you can live out of two carry-on's you are taking too much, LOL

No body cares what brand you carry on, nor what underwear brand you wear either 🙂

• Like 1

Airline regulations differ between airlines. To carry on some airlines are 17" - including wheels. Others are 19". Larger and you simply pay a few dollars and check. Some economy tickets allow only a purse - no carryon pieces.

The cruise company does not care as long as it fits in you cabin. Assisted a friend with about 50 large boxes on a TA. They filled one wall. He and his wife were moving clothes, kitchen goods, lamps etc. to outfit their home in Italy!

If trying to carry on go to your airline's website. They can tell you.

FWIW DW and I usually travel with 1 suitcase and a carryon.

• Haha 1

On 3/11/2020 at 5:00 PM, mom says said:

Cruise lines don't care what size your luggage is, as long as it meets weight restrictions (I think it's 70 pounds each). If it will fit through an airport style security scanner, you can carry it onto the ship. If it won't fit, then check it in with the ship terminal luggage handlers for delivery to your cabin. And nobody but you cares what brand your luggage is. If you are flying to your embarkation port, then you are limited in your carry on size by that airline's carry on policy. If it's too big, then check it.

Make a list of what you are likely to want to wear each day and each evening. Evening wear can usually be worn more than once, and nobody will notice or care if you've with it before. If it won't all fit into a carry on size bag, then get a bigger bag and pay to check it at the airport. Considering what a cruise costs, the extra baggage fee is a pittance.

Nobody cares what brand or what shape your luggage is in. One thing I would recommend is to put something on your luggage, such as a bright piece of cloth to identify your luggage when looking for it on debarkation day. There are so many that look alike. Buy a good quality bag. The luggage gets a rough handling everywhere it goes.

Edited by skrufy
Addition

Not ONE person is looking at your luggage....honestly, most folks have NO idea what kind of suitcase it might be.  You could bring everything in a trash bag, if you want to!  Or a gym bag....backpacks....doesn't really matter!

• 1 month later...

We are going to use backpacks. We can fit at least 1-day of clothes in, camera, travel documents, and prescriptions. The plan is to have 4 suitcases for 3 of us. I would prefer only 1 each, but I am not OK with packing formal wear in with the rest of the stuff. Personally, I don't have many formal things, but when I do buy them they are expensive to me. So, they are well cared for. I figure 2 dresses each for wife and daughter, suit and 2 shirts for me, plus those shoes in the garment bag. All our other stuff in our individual suitcases.

• 2 weeks later...

Sandra1616: I have gone on three cruises ONLY using carry-on luggage. It CAN be done! Do some research and google sites on how to pack efficiently. These are some of my tips:

1. Don't try to wear a different dress every night. I'll re-wear the same dress a couple of times on a cruise. I also have two reversible dresses. Think different jewelry/scarves to change the look.

2. Try different ways of packing. Sometimes a combination of rolling and folding can work better than all rolling, just depends on your clothes. 

3. Don't try to take full size toiletries. I can go 10 days easily with a small toothpaste. Same with shampoo. And...there is bar shampoo out there which is pretty good. No need to put in your 3-1-1 bag. Take bar soap. I don't bring a lot of makeup either. 

4. Shoes: I usually bring one pair of dressy shoes for evening, casual comfortable sandals daytime, and a water shoe/Merrill type for excursions. I wear my running shoes as they are the bulkiest. I workout on the cruise so need my running shoes! But that's it.

5. Coordinate everything! I bring clothes that I can mix and match for different looks. My dress shoes are usually gold colored and go with all my dresses. 

It really is easy. I don't like the stress of wondering if my bags will get lost, or having to wait for my bags. I don't need to wait in line to check in at the airport either, just go straight to security. 

Hope this helps!

Edited by Janie1229

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody will care about the brand of your luggage.

Very important : Don't over pack! Sometimes I do tend to over pack and never even wear few of the items I bring along. Make a list of things you want to wear and have worn, don't buy new clothes for the cruise. If it's all casual even better. No formal dresses or high heels, if it's summer-no boots, jackets,coats and scarves, if it's summer few dresses, shorts, flip  flops, sandals, tank tops. That's all! 🙂

In regards to brand of luggage, no one cares.  I, personally, like the "Buick" of luggage.  Something sturdy, zips well, and can handle bumps and roughness.  Also, you never know what the weather will be like so your bag could get soaked in the process.  Rolling duffel bags are great because they fold down and can be stored under the bed.

Take what you want, but I wouldn't pack for 14 days if you are going for 7.  And if you want to over pack so you have options, go for it.  I have done both and regretted both.  It is definitely a personal choice. 

• 1 month later...

I see you have two post running about luggage.  RELAX Think "luggage is just a box to carry your stuff in." and you will be ok.  Some just buy more expensive boxes.    I rotate between two depending on the cruise I an taking. 1 is a long roiling duffle. Its about 15x15 on the end so it will go through the x-ray machine, since its 4' long they have to x-ray each end but it means I can carry it on and not have to check it. It must be checked at the airport so I only use it when I drive to port.  My other option is a 24" hard side spinner I got from Stein Mart I think. it and its matching 19" carry on were less than $125 or so.  Its a very basic set.  DW has a nicer set, a lightweight softside which means we don't even match each other.  So you pick what you like, your travel companion can pick theirs and if you have kids let them pick what meets their personality just as long as it can carry their stuff 

An old adage oft repeated on this forum........

Write down how much cash you need and how much luggage you need.

Then double the amount of cash (plastic now makes that less-important), and halve the amount of luggage.:classic_wink:

Very much as per the hints from Kate, Janie & others on this thread.

If you insist on bringing more than fits in the usual 1 x checked + 1 x carry-on, add another case rather than switch to a bigger one. About 50lbs max per case - the crew have to haul your bags in and out of elevators and along narrow and convoluted corridors.

You will have to store your bags in your cabin. Under the bed is normal. If it's a hard-shell case, in order to fit it'll need to be stored open but that also makes it useful for storing stuff that you don't need frequently.

X-ray machines shore-side or on the ship are similar to those at airports. Carry-on luggage which doesn't fit is very unpopular  but normally accepted, but you face the wrath of those waiting in line behind you while security go thro the contents.:classic_rolleyes:

Most folk are aboard well before their cabins are available - bear in mind that you'll have to look after your carry-on until you have access to your cabin.

Keep on your person or in your carry-on .............  travel documents, cash, valuables, medications, at least one change of clothes (in case your checked bag turns up late at your cabin or goes AWOL), and pool-side / swimming stuff if you hope to take a dip soonest.

And anything fragile (eg bottles of booze) or formal clothes - longshoremen are not known for their gentle touch.

There are proprietary products which will help remove travel creases. Or use your cabin's shower as a mini-steamroom by hanging shirts etc on hangers from the pull-out line across the shower cubicle - ten minutes with the curtain across & the shower on hot usually does the trick.

No, folk aren't interested in the brand of your luggage, sturdiness is way more important than brand.

But if it concerns you, distress your bags & paste on a few appropriate luggage labels - now you're a traveller, not a tourist.:classic_wink:

JB :classic_smile:

• 3 weeks later...

I keep in the back of my mind when planning what to pack, "I will never meet any of my fellow passengers again, so it matters not what they think of my fashion choices."

The Caribbean residents and most cruise passengers wear shorts with t-shirts.  Main Dining Rooms (MDR) and specialty restaurants usually require long pants/skirts and maybe a polo shirt for males.  Shorts and t-shirts are fine for other eating venues.  Pack light, let the ship's laundry wash your clothes once, or even every day, during your cruise.

There is so much free food available that trying to eat everything may cause your clothing to be quite a bit tighter when you disembark your ship.

It's your first cruise and you will probably over pack like all of us did. And it's OK.  Skip the carry on and bring your medium luggage 25" and a backpack, tote or something to carry onto the ship with your meds, electronics, gotta have items, can't get lost items, bathing suit, important papers, docs, PASSPORT. 

No one cares about the type of luggage or brand of luggage you carry. 

7 night cruise - be careful if you use one of those what do I pack for a cruise list. They will have you bringing everything and the kitchen sink. You basically need 2 outfits for each day and toiletries. Daytime bathing suit and cover up plus something comfy like shorts and tee or a comfy sun dress.  Everyone dresses down during the day.  In the evenings - 5 nights something casual and 2 nights something dressy. Casual - sundress, jeans and shirt, capris and shirt, nice shorts and blouse.  Dressy - Nice maxi dress with cute sandal, LBD, jumper suit, formal dress.

Happy planning!!!  Welcome to your new addiction.

On 3/11/2020 at 4:24 PM, Sandra1616 said:

... How do you pack for 7 days of dressing for mostly casual cruising activities with other people and meeting new people in the Caribbean without over packing or not packing enough?  

On 7/5/2020 at 6:14 AM, John Bull said:

... and pool-side / swimming stuff if you hope to take a dip soonest...

2 hours ago, cynt said:

... Daytime bathing suit and cover up...

Howdy @Sandra1616 emo22.gif

Instead of packing a bathing suit in their carry-on, some folks wear a bathing suit under their clothes for embarkation. Helps make it quicker for them to get their first dip into the pool. emo3.gif 

Bring two bathing suits so you will have one to wear if the other is still wet. emo34.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Edited by Host Kat
Typo due to fat fingers & skinny laptop keys!
  • Like 1