Where will all the ships go?

zonacruiser25

58 minutes ago, HappyCamper49 said:

The Caribbean Princess sailed yesterday, March 13th at 4:00pm.    The Sky Princess arrived this morning at 5:15am.  She is scheduled for departure at 4:00pm this afternoon for a multi-day cruise according to the Port Schedule.

Why did Princess announce a shut down of 60 days if some of her ships are still sailing???????

Yes, leaving with no passengers.

Not to return until the 60 day period is over. (And may not return to the same port.)

Seems every day brings new issues for the cruise lines to solve problems with the summer cruise season coming to Alaska. I wonder if our government is working with the Canadian government on these issues. I can understand why ports like Vancouver and Victoria will be off limits to ships with more than 500 people. On the other hand what do you do with the ships that will be sailing up from Australia in eight weeks? Most of those ships make stops in Vancouver as required by law. Is it possible for those ships to port in a Commercial port for the night before cruising into Seattle? There are a lot of unused ports that could take on these large cruise ships until this all blows over. Ports like Astoria, Portland, Port Angeles, Juneau, Sika, Seward, Whittier, and possibly Anchorage. Anchorage can be a problem because of he tides. These ports could take up the slack needed for a vast number of ships needing a place to rest for 30 to 45 days while out of the regular cruising routine. This coming Alaska cruise season is going to have issues going forward. I am still booked for a August sailing out of Vancouver but time will tell. I have never seen anything like this since 911. Lets all hope for the best.    

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

They stated that if the ship is already on a cruise, and if it ended before a certain date, it would complete its cruise, but if it ended after a certain date, they would determine whether to stop the ship at a convenient port, or finish the cruise.  It all depends on the availability of infrastructure, flights, etc, to handle the influx of passengers and get them most expeditiously to their homes.  I'm sure you wouldn't want to be told to get off in Podunk, Central America, and told that the first available flight was in 6 days.

True, but these ships ARRIVED in port in the early morning and left out at 4pm the same day with passengers.  That seems like a different cruise to me.  Port schedule shows the ship is on a Multi-Day Cruise.  I thought Princess was shut down for 60 days.

38 minutes ago, HappyCamper49 said:

True, but these ships ARRIVED in port in the early morning and left out at 4pm the same day with passengers.  That seems like a different cruise to me.  Port schedule shows the ship is on a Multi-Day Cruise.  I thought Princess was shut down for 60 days.

it is hard for me to believe this will be over in 60 days.....China started dealing with COVID-19 in November 2019 and really locked down 60 million people or more for months and they are still dealing with it in March.....although they are reporting less cases daily.....we have not even begun major testing yet like the Koreans who test 10,000 people a day....sadly I do not know if any one knows when our old normal way of life will return.....but I cannot believe it is even going to be over by the end of summer if somehow we are real lucky....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

According to a crew member they are being sent home.

I was wondering what all the crew members are doing.  I am sure crew would love to go home and see family since they are on the ships for a long period of time. But it would be a added expense for them for the cost of the plane ticket or would Princess cover their ticket cost?  Also would their home country let them come home after being on a cruise ship. 

Wishing all the Princess crew members well and safety. 

14 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

My belief is that the crew will remain onboard.  If this is only a 30 day shutdown, the cost of airfare to send everyone home would offset the payroll savings.  And, yes, there needs to be a minimum crew of deck and engine officers and crew to keep the lights running. 

It is my understanding that princess has said:  Minimum manning, crew to support them, and some additional crew for cleaning/maintenance;

and that most crew will be re-patrioted.

I think this will be a logistics nightmare, as it is so many people going at once; and many of the countries that crew

need to return to have closed their borders.    For instance, no flights into Ukraine for 2 weeks.

I hope you are right that crew will get paid the minimum in their contracts.   The person I was speaking with felt

stongly that that was what the contract said.   But, princess probably has 1000 lawyers to enforce some act-of-god

clause to get out of it.

So far, all the rumors are about not getting paid; but I really, really hope you are right.

As for anyone, abruptly, unexpectedly ending employment is difficult.

Edited by Roberto256

On 3/13/2020 at 7:43 PM, paul929207 said:

Once the future schedules are finalized, some ships will have to be moved from where they wind up to where the new schedule starts.

My opinion: future schedules won't be know for a while.

I don't think anyone can predict at the end of the 60 day shutdown, which ports will be open, which will

be closed, which itineraries can be operated, etc.

I think the ships will probably go to inexpensive layup locations near where they end service, and wait.

I also think that at the end of 60 days it is pretty unlikely that instantly all (18?) princess ships will

start revenue service.   Probably more gradual...    

Looks like the ships that come into Port Everglades leave and begin to big loops up the Florida coast line and the farther east and back down. In order for the crews to be sent home most likely they have to be tested and cleared and the necessary flight set up and the big question would be .... will the port accept them?

5 hours ago, curlybelle2 said:

I was wondering what all the crew members are doing.  I am sure crew would love to go home and see family since they are on the ships for a long period of time. But it would be a added expense for them for the cost of the plane ticket or would Princess cover their ticket cost?  Also would their home country let them come home after being on a cruise ship.

Princess books and pays for flights for crew as well as transfers and accommodation that might be needed en route.

11 hours ago, vivian02 said:

Seems every day brings new issues for the cruise lines to solve problems with the summer cruise season coming to Alaska. I wonder if our government is working with the Canadian government on these issues. I can understand why ports like Vancouver and Victoria will be off limits to ships with more than 500 people. On the other hand what do you do with the ships that will be sailing up from Australia in eight weeks? Most of those ships make stops in Vancouver as required by law. Is it possible for those ships to port in a Commercial port for the night before cruising into Seattle? There are a lot of unused ports that could take on these large cruise ships until this all blows over. Ports like Astoria, Portland, Port Angeles, Juneau, Sika, Seward, Whittier, and possibly Anchorage. Anchorage can be a problem because of he tides. These ports could take up the slack needed for a vast number of ships needing a place to rest for 30 to 45 days while out of the regular cruising routine. This coming Alaska cruise season is going to have issues going forward. I am still booked for a August sailing out of Vancouver but time will tell. I have never seen anything like this since 911. Lets all hope for the best.    

My understanding of the US regulations is the ship can not sell a ticket between two US cities or the same US city without involving a foreign stop.  

The passengers that originate in Australia and travel all the way to Seattle would be fine.  (if Australia lifts its ban on cruise ships in time).  The passengers that get on in Hawaii would be the issue.  Perhaps there is a foreign island near Hawaii they can visit for a few hours.

11 hours ago, vivian02 said:

I think there are lots of safe protected anchorages for the ***** to stay near Vancouver and Seattle.  Vancouver, Victoria and Nanaimo all have cruise ship dock facilities that are generally empty this time of year.  There are always cargo ships that anchor in that area waiting for their turn in port.

The Canadian ban on ships entering Canadian water is when the ship has 500 of more people on the ship.  A minimum crew for the ship will be well under 500 people. 

I did a search of Princess ships yesterday to see where they were or headed to.  As stated above, the ships at sea are allowed to finish their voyage and might end up docking there after passengers disembark.  There are a couple of ships already headed for Freeport probably for a berth or some minor maintenance.  One ship is already docked in LA, the Sky is in Port Everglades, etc. 

#PrincessProud

Edited by Grego
Additional info.

1 hour ago, Grego said:

I did a search of Princess ships yesterday to see where they were or headed to.  As stated above, the ships at sea are allowed to finish their voyage and might end up docking there after passengers disembark.  There are a couple of ships already headed for Freeport probably for a berth or some minor maintenance.  One ship is already docked in LA, the Sky is in Port Everglades, etc. 

#PrincessProud

Sky is near freeport, now.

On 3/14/2020 at 9:11 AM, chengkp75 said:

Ships will be able to dock at non-cruise commercial docks, or anchor at anchorages at major ports.  The prohibition on cruise ships is because of the unloading of masses of passengers.  Cargo ships are not precluded from docking in ports, even if they have been to China, so a cruise ship just sitting there poses no threat.

My belief is that the crew will remain onboard.  If this is only a 30 day shutdown, the cost of airfare to send everyone home would offset the payroll savings.  And, yes, there needs to be a minimum crew of deck and engine officers and crew to keep the lights running.  Shutting down a ship "cold iron" (completely turning off the power) requires time and lots of money to set the ship up for preservation as sea water and air will quickly damage things, and then more money and time to open it back up again.  Even if they went to a skeleton crew, time would be lost regrouping the crew, and restarting the hotel services (cleaning cabins that have been left for a month, etc).  Under international law, if they are onboard, they get paid the mandated minimum wage, and possibly more, depending on the company's decisions.  If they are sent home, I believe (it's been a while since I saw a contract, and things changed a lot a few years ago) that they are entitled to their pay until the end of their contract anyway, so why send them home.  Those whose contracts expire will be allowed to leave (travel restrictions applying), but their positions will not be refilled until closer to start up.

Thank you for that detailed explanation!  I was wondering about how much money, if any,  are the cruise lines actually losing compared to them sailing?  Then considering the money not lost and still in their bank, due to the many FCC given.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, Grego said:

#PrincessProud

Several are heading to Freeport. Thats where they will hang out for the time being.

F Y I :   Email from Grand's Crew.  "Grand's crew arrived in Manila, Philippine on chartered plane on Sunday, March 15, 2020 (15 hours ahead).  Being sent to Clark Pampanga (Clarks Air Base) for their 14 Days quarantine."   

Edited by Gimer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, geoherb said:

I noticed the Sky Princess is headed to the Great Isaac Anchorage in the Bahamas according to its webcam this morning.

Marine Traffic now shows Sky Princess is heading to Port Isaac in Great Britain.  A bit earlier today I looked at Marine Traffic and the destination was Great Isaac Anchorage, again GB.  The info doesn't seem really correct though as they are suppose to arrive in GB sometime today but are showing as currently somewhere between Freeport and Bimini.  Info is 1 hr and 45 minutes ago.  

Very confusing at this time to me but it makes sense for Sky's position after the 60 days is over.  I am aware when Sky's Transatlantic was/is suppose to happen.  And now I'm wondering if GB is closing their ports to cruise ships as well complicating plans.  

ETA:  I just read on the Sky Princess pulling out of FLL thread, post #22 by Jeter02, that the crew have been told they will be hanging around the bahamas for a week and returning to Port Everglades to pick up supplies maybe.  They reported a stop later this week at Princess Cays for R&R.  That is great.  My best to the crew of the Sky and all Princess Ships.  

Edited by yoyosma
conflicting info.

11 hours ago, em-sk said:

My understanding of the US regulations is the ship can not sell a ticket between two US cities or the same US city without involving a foreign stop.  

The passengers that originate in Australia and travel all the way to Seattle would be fine.  (if Australia lifts its ban on cruise ships in time).  The passengers that get on in Hawaii would be the issue.  Perhaps there is a foreign island near Hawaii they can visit for a few hours.

Just FYI, before NCL had American built/flagged ships permitted to cruise Hawaii exclusively, a Hawaiian-based cruise involved a 2000+ mile RT to Fanning Island to hit a foreign port, a beautiful atoll and protectorate of NZ pretty much due south of Hawaii.

16 minutes ago, jimmieg said:

Just FYI, before NCL had American built/flagged ships permitted to cruise Hawaii exclusively, a Hawaiian-based cruise involved a 2000+ mile RT to Fanning Island to hit a foreign port, a beautiful atoll and protectorate of NZ pretty much due south of Hawaii.

NZ has also banned cruise ships entering its waters so that eliminates that option. 

1 minute ago, em-sk said:

NZ has also banned cruise ships entering its waters so that eliminates that option. 

Right. Wasn't suggesting it as an option. Just an historical perspective to the poster pointing out there are not foreign ports near Hawaii.😉

Logistics departments at all cruiselines are no doubt burning the midnight oil.

13 minutes ago, em-sk said:

I don't believe NZ has banned cruise ships from "entering its waters", but it has banned cruise ship port calls.  A cruise ship, without passengers, at anchor offshore NZ is not really different from a tanker or bulker anchored there, especially if shore leave for crew is not allowed.  Just like people are misinterpreting Canada's ban, it is that cruise ships are not allowed at Canadian ports, not banning them from Canadian waters, so anchoring off Canada is also an option.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, curlybelle2 said:

I was wondering what all the crew members are doing.  I am sure crew would love to go home and see family since they are on the ships for a long period of time

No crew I know are excited to go home.   The ones I have talked to are upset about not being paid, and about horrible trips getting home,

with airports and countries closed, etc.

Not seeing family for the length of the contract is hard, but is it what they sign up for and expect.