Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

lahore

Here's one that sounds new to me.  Princess canceled my May 23rd Alaska cruise on April 14; and asked me whether I wanted cruise credit or a refund.  I requested a refund and soon after received an e-mail from Princess stating "This is your Princess Booking refund request receipt", with a confirmation number.  Called today to see how the refund was progressing and was told they had me scheduled for an FCC.  How can this be, I asked, since I have a confirmation in my hand that promises a refund?  They didn't know, said things were messed up and they would fix it.   I don't trust Princess anymore.  Maybe they will fix it, maybe not, but I have now disputed the credit card charge. 

• Like 1

Thanks to cc disputes, I'm almost done with this Princess drama....

I will be 3 for 3 as cc (chase southwest) ruled in MY favor. (any doubts?) lol

and will be crediting my acct. shortly. (took a couple days for the other 2)

So thats May, June & Sept cruises All reimbursed, and I didn't have to WAIT for

Princess to do it. (some of the charges were from last summer, didn't matter, all refunded)

Disputes I filed online.  They told me I had to fill out a form & mail back, which I did.

It was very simple to fill out.  Within a couple weeks, I got notification refund on the way.

Am I worried about Princ stepping up to the plate to Also refund me?  Hell no!

I can't say it enough........ file dispute & Let your cc get the cashback for you. 😗

11 hours ago, JerrySueW said:

We cancelled an April cruise on March 11 - the day before Princess cancelled. At that time, the cancellation fee (50%) was applied to a future cruise per a Princess offer. We subsequently requested Option 2 and when the refund was finally processed (June 18), it did not include the 50% which had been previously applied as FCC. (The 25% FCC for Option 2 had already been added to our account.) So, TA called and was told that Princess would correct the error and we should receive the refund in 7-14 days because "they are all caught up on the refunds." Coming up on day 14 this week. You might want to call and see if they same thing happened on your account.

Thanks for your comments and your situation sounds very similar to ours. I will wait for 14 days and see what happens before I try to get someone at Princess who is willing to investigate. We do have 2 more cancelled cruises for Princess to process so are in for a long haul but luckily these cruises only have deposits paid and not the full amount.

In the meantime I'm happy to prune the roses and get some spring bulbs planted and try to not think of Princess in our winter sunshine.

22 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I know some on here (like me) disputed with credit cards after getting no joy from Princess and some of those that did have since received refunds from Princess. Just wondering what process (if any) you followed? I filed a dispute at day 75 and now have temp credits on my cards for the full amount paid to Princess. I have only contacted Princess once since filing the dispute and was told that my refund was processed on June 23rd. I still haven't seen that. I'm now wondering if I even need to worry about it anymore. I don't intend to contact them again, but assume that either the temp credits becomes permanent or Princess pays up and the credits disappear? Anyone out there have anything different?

Like you, I am in Canada and while credit cards here will vary, our experiences may be a little similar.  I disputed with Visa in early May and after three weeks they credited my account for the three outstanding amounts (deposit, FP, excursions).  Approximately two weeks later Princess refunded the deposit and FP.  I called Visa and they reversed what they had credited.  They said they would have spotted it eventually and reversed their credit but they appreciated my call so it could be sorted out easily.  To date, Princess still has not refunded the excursions so the amount from my Visa dispute stays.  Other than some long waits on the phone, Visa was very good to work with and made the dispute very easy.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 2:21 AM, ceilidh1 said:

I know some on here (like me) disputed with credit cards after getting no joy from Princess and some of those that did have since received refunds from Princess. Just wondering what process (if any) you followed? I filed a dispute at day 75 and now have temp credits on my cards for the full amount paid to Princess. I have only contacted Princess once since filing the dispute and was told that my refund was processed on June 23rd. I still haven't seen that. I'm now wondering if I even need to worry about it anymore. I don't intend to contact them again, but assume that either the temp credits becomes permanent or Princess pays up and the credits disappear? Anyone out there have anything different?

I disputed about $5,000 in payments in May on my Barclay card and Princess tells me (via live chat) that they accepted the chargebacks on June 4th in my favor.  However, the credits on my card are still temporary, and as of yesterday Barclay (via their contact form)  says the disputes are still open and so I have to take it up with Princess.  I explained that in Princess' eyes the disputes were resolved in my favor over a month ago and that Princess is saying they don't need to do anything else, and that Barclay is the one who needs to "complete" them.  Each is saying that the ball is in the other's court.

I've tried reaching a live person at Barclay but haven't been able to.  In a letter from Barclay from when I originally filed the disputes, they said although they issued provisional credits they would rebill the charges within 90 days if not resolved in my favor.  So, since no one will give me an answer, does that mean that once 90 days are past the money is mine?

1 hour ago, cvpends said:

If one is expecting an FCC instead of a refund, is there a reason one should file a dispute with their credit card company?

Even if you opted for FCC, you would still get port fees/taxes refunded along with any additional pre-paid items such as shorex, grats, air, etc...I opted for FCC but am also due around $3,500 as a refund for all of the pre-paid items.

6 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Even if you opted for FCC, you would still get port fees/taxes refunded along with any additional pre-paid items such as shorex, grats, air, etc...I opted for FCC but am also due around $3,500 as a refund for all of the pre-paid items.

Though some of those (taxes, fees, etc..) go into a Holding Account unless you asked for a refund.

Edited by Coral

On 6/6/2020 at 7:48 AM, eroller said:

I finally caved in and filed a dispute with my bank.  This was for a cruise canceled in March and was also sailing in March.  First I was told 60 days, then 90 days, then an unknown amount of days.  I understand all the challenges the cruise lines are facing, but this huge delay in processing refunds is sketchy at best.  While there are challenges, I have no doubt the processing could be fast tracked if so desired.    

My FCC was processed a while back, and my only issue was an OBC that I purchased for myself to use on the cruise.  I feel it could have gotten lost in the shuffle since it's not a typical refund of cruise fare.  The other anomaly is that my cruise was on Cunard, but Princess in California handles all the bookings and payment processing for US bookings.  I was getting brushed around a bit with some agents telling me I had to contact Cunard UK, and Cunard UK telling me to contact Princess in California.  It was getting more and more frustrating.  I purchased the OBC using my bank debit card (PNC Bank).  The dispute process was easy and they instantly placed a credit for the full amount on my checking account, with the caveat that it could be reversed should the investigation not be in my favor.  I think they have 45 days to investigate and close the dispute.    

One thing this experience has taught me is to be very cautious booking a future cruise, at least now.  Knowing that any monies paid will be tied up 90 days or longer should I need to cancel and request a refund.  I think the cruise lines have shot themselves in the foot with this.  Losing the confidence of many loyal cruisers when confidence in the cruise industry is already at an all-time low.   

I also disputed my charges for two cruises.  One was with Carnival on my costco credit card.  It took about 60 days from dispute, but I was notified that it was resolved in my favor..

My Princess cruise was with BA visa card - I disputed on May 8th and today is the last day that Princess has to challenge the dispute.  I called Princess earlier in the week - they said that they contacted BA at the end of May and was told that I had disputed it.  I called BA yesterday and they said that they had no heard from Princess???

Either way, when I log into my account with BA tomorrow - it should show that it is final.  I received a full credit on my account back in May, but they give you the song and dance that it could be reversed.  I do not like the way BA credit card handles their disputes.

I just wish Princess would figure this out, one way or another. When I disputed with my cards, I disputed for the full amount paid despite having opted for option 1 FCC. The reason I did so was because I had not received any FCC or any refund and I had hit the 75 day mark. I was 100% transparent with my banks and told them that I would be happy to accept the FCC and partial refund, but would like to dispute the full amount just in case. Several weeks later, my FCC finally showed up - I contacted the bank and told them that I had it and that if Princess contacted them saying I was owed a lower amount that was the reason. Since then, I still have the full temp credits plus the FCC. My fear now is that Princess fights the dispute or removes the FCC and I have to start all over. Maybe I should just apply the FCC to one of my future cruises so it can't just disappear? Such a mess....

33 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

So your dispute was for the exact amount owed to you for shore excursions, gratuities, air fare, taxes and port fees, "etc." and didn't include the amount of your fare?

2 minutes ago, cvpends said:

So your dispute was for the exact amount owed to you for shore excursions, gratuities, air fare, taxes and port fees, "etc." and didn't include the amount of your fare?

No, I disputed the full amount as I hadn't received any FCC either (see my previous post...lol)

Question for those of you who cancelled your cruise BEFORE Princess cancelled it:  Did the cost of the Princess insurance get refunded to you?  I thought I had read at some point in the past that they were going to refund all charges.  Mine was processed as a cancellation in normal times would be, which for my timing was loss of deposit and the cost of the insurance.  I'm so happy to have the bulk of my money refunded, but I'm just interested in what others have experienced.

Now sitting at 113 days with no refunds for two May 2020 cruises cancelled by Princess in Pause 1 and  Option 1 chosen.

FCC's credited to account June 1st, but still waiting for refunds for taxes/port fees/Princess Platinum Protection insurance. The refunds should be very simple to just credit back to one credit card. I have contacted Princess twice by phone and the last time I was told to contact my TA as the cruises were booked through them.

Here is part of the response I got from the TA today:

"Good afternoon, after calling and speaking with the Princess rep, her supervisor and the resolutions department, all three have advised me on the following. In the beginning when they were first estimating the times for refunds and future cruise credits they could estimate 60-90 days. Now that there are so many more voyages to cancel, submit refunds and future cruise credits they are no longer giving the estimation of 60-90 days. They are now saying they are going by voyages. Now what that means is your two sailings were in May and when they get to May voyages they will process them."

Now I know this is the party line being given out and I know it's not true as I've seen cruises later than May being refunded. Absolutely frustrating to say the least.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, redtop101 said:

Now I know this is the party line being given out and I know it's not true as I've seen cruises later than May being refunded. Absolutely frustrating to say the least.

Ugh.  If only they were simply straightforward with us, we would all be happier.

25 minutes ago, clan said:

Question for those of you who cancelled your cruise BEFORE Princess cancelled it:  Did the cost of the Princess insurance get refunded to you?  I thought I had read at some point in the past that they were going to refund all charges.  Mine was processed as a cancellation in normal times would be, which for my timing was loss of deposit and the cost of the insurance.  I'm so happy to have the bulk of my money refunded, but I'm just interested in what others have experienced.

We Cancelled a March cruise a few days before Princess implemented Pause 1.  All monies paid for that cruise was refunded to our credit card.  Cancelled a June cruise when Princess extended the cancellation time to 60 days prior to cruise date.    Had all the monies paid refunded to credit card.  Both cruises were paid in full with insurance.

5 minutes ago, redtop101 said:

Now sitting at 113 days with no refunds for two May 2020 cruises cancelled by Princess in Pause 1 and  Option 1 chosen.

FCC's credited to account June 1st, but still waiting for refunds for taxes/port fees/Princess Platinum Protection insurance. The refunds should be very simple to just credit back to one credit card. I have contacted Princess twice by phone and the last time I was told to contact my TA as the cruises were booked through them.

"Good afternoon, after calling and speaking with the Princess rep, her supervisor and the resolutions department, all three have advised me on the following. In the beginning when they were first estimating the times for refunds and future cruise credits they could estimate 60-90 days. Now that there are so many more voyages to cancel, submit refunds and future cruise credits they are no longer giving the estimation of 60-90 days. They are now saying they are going by voyages. Now what that means is your two sailings were in May and when they get to May voyages they will process them."

Yes, definitely this has been frustrating.  I don't believe there is any particular order--this is a lot of BS they are telling TA's and passengers. We cancelled 2 May, 2020 cruises on 3/11 (subsequently cancelled by Princess)--we finally received our refunds (one fairly soon, the other at day 98), but as far as the FCC's are concerned...recently received for the 1st cruise in our accounts,; however, still waiting for the 2nd FCC...they told me they have no idea when they will process that one (this includes the PVP insurance we paid).  Have also seen those with later sailing dates getting money back before our May dates.  Then look what those poor folks who were on the world cruise have been going through...what a big mess!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, redtop101 said:

This money is probably being held in "a holding account" for when you book your next cruise since FCC can't go towards taxes and insurance. You may want to call Princess or have your TA call and either ask if it is there (holding account) or ask for a refund of this. You have to specifically ask for a refund or else it stays in the holding account.

Edited by Coral

May 17, 2020 cruise cancelled by Princess in phase 2, after final payment. Yesterday 7/7/2020 FCC for full amount of fare plus second line item of the promised 25% extra FCC showed up in my Princess account. I have not yet seen the expected refund to my CC of port fees, insurance, flight, hotel and transfer (all booked through Princess). 

I never called or emailed, as the FCC with 25% bonus was the default option and I was in no hurry and I plan to do this exact same cruise next year. I’ll keep checking the CC account for another week or so and then will call for a status on the refund portion.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 12:09 PM, cherylandtk said:

I won’t tell you to be patient because that is just so aggravating to hear; you are going on 2 months of being patient.   It’s a lot of your money they are using.  

Based on the timing so far and when you cancelled, I would hope you see your refund between day 60 and 90 after cancelling, but it could be much later.  The longest refund I have seen so far is 111 days, but there are a couple of FB posts stating they are at 4 months and waiting.  Your refund should be straightforward.

122 days and counting......

41 minutes ago, Coral said:

This money is probably being held in "a holding account" for when you book your next cruise since FCC can't go towards taxes and insurance. You may want to call Princess or have your TA call and either ask if it is there (holding account) or ask for a refund of this. You have to specifically ask for a refund or else it stays in the holding account.

I have since booked another cruise through another TA and used my FCC's on that cruise. Neither Princess or my former TA have made any mention of the money being put in a holding account. Just waiting ad nauseam for the money to be credited back to original credit card.

1 hour ago, redtop101 said:

I have since booked another cruise through another TA and used my FCC's on that cruise. Neither Princess or my former TA have made any mention of the money being put in a holding account. Just waiting ad nauseam for the money to be credited back to original credit card.

I would check with Princess because the default is to put it in a holding account. If you search holding account on this website, there are several charts.

You maybe waiting for nothing.