Where do all the ships go for 30 days

40 minutes ago, F27TW said:

I read just now on Marc Walker (Bing Bong) cruise director's FB page that Harmony is apparently just going out to sea for 30 days!    No more details than that, but I'm curious about all this myself.   Do they just sit still?  I can't imagine them wasting fuel sailing aound ... 

Posting from Explorer as well that they are sailing around Freeport for the next 60 days. 

Besides the one Carnival that ship that normally sails from Jax.  One additional Carnival ship will in Jax along with two NCL ships

Carnival Ecstasy embarks/disembarks at a dedicated cruise terminal west of the Dames Point Bridge

Norwegian Pearl will also be docking near Ecstasy at the Dames Point Marine terminal (this has to be one of container cargo docks

Norwegian Sky will be docking at the Talleyrand Marine terminal. This has historically been a bulk cargo dock near downtown.

Norwegian Gem will dock at Blount Island.  This is east of the bridge.  I am guessing because of height restrictions due to the bridge.  This mainly handles container ships and car carriers.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2020/03/14/jaxport-will-accommodate-florida-cruise-ships-displaced-due-to-covid-19-threat/

• Thanks 1

Since there are no cruises departing, I wonder why they aren't just staying docked right at their terminals, but buttoned up if they feel the need to quarantine, etc...   seems like a tremendous waste of fuel to be just sailing around and around.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, F27TW said:

Since there are no cruises departing, I wonder why they aren't just staying docked right at their terminals, but buttoned up if they feel the need to quarantine, etc...   seems like a tremendous waste of fuel to be just sailing around and around.  

Different ships share the same terminal. Some there on Sunday and some on Saturday not to mention ships that do shorter cruises and use the terminals on weekdays. They can't all be there at the same time.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, F27TW said:

If they aren't docked, they don't just sail around and around. They would go somewhere and anchor.

23 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Different ships share the same terminal. Some there on Sunday and some on Saturday not to mention ships that do shorter cruises and use the terminals on weekdays. They can't all be there at the same time.

Very true!  I forgot another round of ships will be docking  on a Sunday AM! 

I would think that some of the ships will take advantage of a chance to do some routine house maintenance. Replacing furniture and carpet while upgrading behind the scene equipment. If these things are needed there would have already been plans to purchase for installations. 

Every ship probably already had a long to do list. This will give then a chance to catch up without interfering with passengers..

• Like 1

Everglades, Miami and Tampa all have new 'cruise' visitors at anchorages this morning with others on the way according to AIS . . . several heading towards Freeport

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Capt_BJ said:

Everglades, Miami and Tampa all have new 'cruise' visitors at anchorages this morning with others on the way according to AIS . . . several heading towards Freeport

Yeah, will be sailing past them today and tomorrow, should be an interesting sight.  I can see them stooging around for a couple of days to top up water, and maybe even going out once a week or so to make water, but I can't believe some of this about them steaming around for 30 days.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

It's been a while since I looked at a cruise ship set of "articles" (crew contract), and much has changed in the last few years, but I believe that based on the MLC 2006 convention, that if the ship owner lays up the ship, the crew gets paid for the duration of their contract anyway.

Under MLC if the cruise line does not give written notification of cutting short a crew member's contract i month in advance then they are required to pay 1 month's salary.

Several of the Royal Caribbean ships state their destination as Coco Cay. Explorer does say Freeport. 

I like the new Virgin Scarlet Lady destination. It says she will be at the Bimini Sands Resort. She is sailing into Miami right now. 

3 minutes ago, MADflyer said:

I like the new Virgin Scarlet Lady destination. It says she will be at the Bimini Sands Resort. She is sailing into Miami right now. 

Unlike with RCI, she won't have other ships trying to tie up at the same place.

Biker, who wonders how many ships RCI will try to cram into CocoCay at once.

24 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yeah, will be sailing past them today and tomorrow, should be an interesting sight.  I can see them stooging around for a couple of days to top up water, and maybe even going out once a week or so to make water, but I can't believe some of this about them steaming around for 30 days.

Interesting about the water.  I believed that modern port facilities supplied shore power and can also provide potable water.  This sounds like the ships only make their water and do not take it from shore at all.  Just wondering

6 minutes ago, zonacruiser25 said:

Interesting about the water.  I believed that modern port facilities supplied shore power and can also provide potable water.  This sounds like the ships only make their water and do not take it from shore at all.  Just wondering

They do both.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, zonacruiser25 said:

My take on it was that they would rather maje it than pay for it during this extended time with little cash flow.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Doesn't making it require fuel, which they would also have to pay for?

But the generators are running whether they are making water or not. 

I am just speculating on this matter. I freely admit that I am relatively clueless about it.😁

1 hour ago, zonacruiser25 said:

The ships can and do take on water from ports, but it costs money, while making water costs less.  In normal times, it all depends on the ship's itinerary, and whether there is enough time at sea to make all the water needed for the cruise, and if not then they will load water in port.  However, in today's situation, the ships will not all be docked, so the water has to come via launch, and not all launches are certified to carry potable water.

As for the fuel, when at the dock, or sitting at anchor, the ship will be using about 50-70% of the capacity of one generator to provide hotel load.  With no pax, this will drop even more.  In order to get enough heat to run an evaporator, the engines need to be operating near maximum capacity (85%), and there would need to be at least two running at this load to operate even one evaporator.  So, even slow steaming around, whether killing time now, or slow steaming between ports, you may not have enough heat to make water in an evaporator.  If the ship is using RO watermakers, these can be operated regardless of the heat load from the engines, since they don't use heat to boil water.  These are typically smaller than the evaporators, and could possibly keep up with a crew only demand for water.  But, the ship has to be 12 miles from shore to make water, so unless they find an anchorage that far offshore, they can't make water.

• Like 4