Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Not sure I'd want to have to deal with all that stuff for a two night cruise, but for longer cruises it would be OK. It's about what I expected.

There was talk Royal Caribbean is going to put it on app on your smartphone. But one of the first things I do is put my phone and wallet in the safe.

It will evolve .

Royal Caribbean is including $25,000 Singapore in medical and incidental coverage in your fare .Travel insurance basically.

If you test positive before or during the cruise you’re covered and you get a refund.

8 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

There was talk Royal Caribbean is going to put it on app on your smartphone. But one of the first things I do is put my phone and wallet in the safe.

It will evolve .

Royal Caribbean is including $25,000 Singapore in medical and incidental coverage in your fare .Travel insurance basically.

If you test positive before or during the cruise you’re covered and you get a refund.

And not all folk have smart phones, seniors in particular, there lies a technology problem.

23 minutes ago, NSWP said:

And not all folk have smart phones, seniors in particular, there lies a technology problem.

Well this is it , I think there are the work of the devil.

I think that’s what the mice pod is for ,just hook it on with you sea card .

Royal does have the option of a watch kid of thing,the wow band.Some people love them.

But I can’t where a watch.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Some countries have been toying with the idea for travellers to download an app to track you while in country. Smart phones might become a necessity for traveling post covid 🙄

I've just been chatting with an Australian-based Princess rep who said that Princess doesn't expect to have any ships here before September 2021 - which is pretty well what we've all been saying. It sounds like there aren't any plans for a trial startup over winter 2021. Rats!

21 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've just been chatting with an Australian-based Princess rep who said that Princess doesn't expect to have any ships here before September 2021 - which is pretty well what we've all been saying. It sounds like there aren't any plans for a trial startup over winter 2021. Rats!

That’s round about what I was thinking after the latest news .

I also think they will limit the number of ships they send down in order to keep up demand and prices .

10 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

That’s round about what I was thinking after the latest news .

I also think they will limit the number of ships they send down in order to keep up demand and prices .

They've currently scheduled four ships to homeport in Australia:

Coral in Brisbane

Royal and Emerald in Sydney

Sapphire in Melbourne

Plus Pacific is doing a couple of cruises out of Australia before repositioning up to Japan.

Some of those cruises are already heavily booked.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

What about a carnival or P&O ship,  should have asked that?

28 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

What about a carnival or P&O ship,  should have asked that?

It didn't really spring to mind as we don't plan on cruising on either of those lines in the near future. However I suspect the same will apply - no ships until late 2021.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Celebrity is showing cruises on Eclipse home ported in Sydney starting in October 2021.

There was a comment on TV from the Aust government that they expect our borders will be closed until mid 2021. I hope cruising can start soon after that. 🙂 I think it will depend on the vaccines.

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

There was a comment on TV from the Aust government that they expect our borders will be closed until mid 2021. I hope cruising can start soon after that. 🙂 I think it will depend on the vaccines.

Other than allowing the ship's crews to come to Australia, the border closures shouldn't necessarily prevent cruising restarting, as long as the cruises are local only, and I include NZ in the definition of local. Special dispensation could be given to crews if they carry out quarantine before boarding the ship and then are onboard for at least two weeks while the ship travels to Australia. Queensland already has a process in place to allow crew swaps on cargo ships which appears to be working well.

But I agree that vaccines will be a key factor in cruising restarting here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Celebrity is showing cruises on Eclipse home ported in Sydney starting in October 2021.

Yes, they just launched that schedule about a week or so ago.

Notably, it's down from the 2 ships that were planned here this season.

17 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Yes, they just launched that schedule about a week or so ago.

Notably, it's down from the 2 ships that were planned here this season.

Indeed, I was scheduled to be on Eclipse in January, Auckland to her home port in Melbourne and Solstice was to be home ported in Sydney. Now we are scheduled for Eclipse in January 2022 basically the same cruise except it ends in Sydney instead of Melbourne. And Solstice is somewhere else.

8 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Indeed, I was scheduled to be on Eclipse in January, Auckland to her home port in Melbourne and Solstice was to be home ported in Sydney. Now we are scheduled for Eclipse in January 2022 basically the same cruise except it ends in Sydney instead of Melbourne. And Solstice is somewhere else.

You are likely to be OK for January 2022.🙂

17 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes originally Eclipse was to be home ported in Melbourne from 2021 onwards and Solstice remain in Sydney but now they have decided against having a Celebrity ship in Melbourne.  Looks like we are back to having Sapphire Princess and Pacific Explorer (sharing her with SA and NZ over the summer season) home porting us.  Very slim pickings for Melbourne.

20 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Yes originally Eclipse was to be home ported in Melbourne from 2021 onwards and Solstice remain in Sydney but now they have decided against having a Celebrity ship in Melbourne.  Looks like we are back to having Sapphire Princess and Pacific Explorer (sharing her with SA and NZ over the summer season) home porting us.  Very slim pickings for Melbourne.

You're lucky getting Sapphire Princess. Her sister ship, Diamond Princess, is one of my favourite Princess ships. Sydney gets Royal Princess and Emerald Princess, neither of which I want to cruise on. 

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

Oops I forgot about Cunard.  They have around 6 Mel to Mel voyages with QE2 scheduled from late Dec 2021.

28 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Oops I forgot about Cunard.  They have around 6 Mel to Mel voyages with QE2 scheduled from late Dec 2021.

Oh Cunard...... I don't think that will work for me..... lets put it this way.....

I love great service and food,     but without the pomp and ceremony.

having said that it would be interesting  but I feel I am not a Cunard person

Cheers Don

1 minute ago, getting older slowly said:

Oh Cunard...... I don't think that will work for me..... lets put it this way.....

I love great service and food,     but without the pomp and ceremony.

having said that it would be interesting  but I feel I am not a Cunard person

Cheers Don

Do you want to wear a tux for dinner don and suit and tie for brekkie whilst reading the 'Times' wired from London?  Kippers please and black puddin.😆