Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

16 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I have real doubts, now I have been wrong before. My biggest doubt is that our international borders are unlikely to be open and that presents real problems  getting ships and crew in and can the get enough passengers just Aussies.

I’m happy to be wrong, but have serious doubts.

I agree with you on the above points. Getting the ships and crew in from foreign lands still overwhelmed by Covid will require a bold decision from our government.  In my opinion they will back off reopening our air and sea borders until 100% safe and that could be mid next year. All conjecture really.

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

I agree with you on the above points. Getting the ships and crew in from foreign lands still overwhelmed by Covid will require a bold decision from our government.  In my opinion they will back off reopening our air and sea borders until 100% safe and that could be mid next year. All conjecture really.

I am hoping the government will see that ships' crews are in quarantine on their way to Aust. If they have been vaccinated, and maybe even in quarantine before they board the ship maybe somewhere in Asia, then there isn't much chance of their passing the virus on. That is why I am hoping there might be cruises near the end of this year, but probably limited to Aussies and maybe starting with domestic cruises only. The next 'cab off the rank' would be cruises to NZ then the closer Pacific islands.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

As for sydney, will the P&O ships fit under the bridge?

If not they will have till wait till July as they are dredging OPT.

Golden Princess wasn’t able to go under the bridge,  so Pacific Adventure won’t either .

But all we need to do is wait for the full effects of Climate Change to happen and the water will drop enough so it will fit, or was it that the waters would rise, so no ship will fit under the bridge?? 🤔😉

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am hoping the government will see that ships' crews are in quarantine on their way to Aust. If they have been vaccinated, and maybe even in quarantine before they board the ship maybe somewhere in Asia, then there isn't much chance of their passing the virus on. That is why I am hoping there might be cruises near the end of this year, but probably limited to Aussies and maybe starting with domestic cruises only. The next 'cab off the rank' would be cruises to NZ then the closer Pacific islands.

The crew would have to quarantine and test negative before they joined the ship. If someone tested positive while the ship was repositioning to Australia the ship would not be allowed here I suspect.

27 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The crew would have to quarantine and test negative before they joined the ship. If someone tested positive while the ship was repositioning to Australia the ship would not be allowed here I suspect.

Agreed. After vaccination and quarantine before crew boarded the ship, there would be the additional quarantine period while the ship sailed to Aust. Our government would probably still want negative tests for all the crew after it arrived. Another safeguard would be minimal crew changes, with new crew quarantining (maybe in Aust after they fly in).

38 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Singapore and Taiwan have been operating cruises for the last 3 months with out a major drama.

45 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Singapore and Taiwan have been operating cruises for the last 3 months with out a major drama.

Yes, I know. I wish someone would drum that into the tiny brains of our politicians.

I think I read somewhere that for one of the ships that is operating out of Singapore, possibly the RCI one, that the crew had to undergo quarantine onshore before joining the ship. Can't remember where I read it though, it was a while back, maybe when those cruises were just starting.

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, I know. I wish someone would drum that into the tiny brains of our politicians.

I think I read somewhere that for one of the ships that is operating out of Singapore, possibly the RCI one, that the crew had to undergo quarantine onshore before joining the ship. Can't remember where I read it though, it was a while back, maybe when those cruises were just starting.

You are preaching to the faithful.

And people keep bringing up quarantine for the crew .

Singapore have been doing it for 3-4 months without a incident.

29 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Interesting article on what the Singapore cruises are like:

A Covid-Free Cruise Takes Planning, but the Strip Show Goes On

This caught my eye. Not sure what to make of it.

"Probably the biggest reason I felt safe on the cruise was that, when I boarded the ship, Singapore had gone seven straight days without any coronavirus cases."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

This caught my eye. Not sure what to make of it.

"Probably the biggest reason I felt safe on the cruise was that, when I boarded the ship, Singapore had gone seven straight days without any coronavirus cases."

And NSW has 28 days.

There isn’t a virus in the community to catch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

You are preaching to the faithful.

And people keep bringing up quarantine for the crew .

Singapore have been doing it for 3-4 months without a incident.

Yes, as I said before, I know BUT did the crew quarantine on land before they joined the ship? Which is what I think I saw I saw in some cruise-related article a few weeks back. Think about what I am commenting on! Given some of the countries they come from that would probably be essential. If there was a crew outbreak then the ship would be a pariah and would not be allowed to continue sailing.

9 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, as I said before, I know BUT did the crew quarantine on land before they joined the ship? Which is what I think I saw I saw in some cruise-related article a few weeks back. Think about what I am commenting on! Given some of the countries they come from that would probably be essential. If there was a crew outbreak then the ship would be a pariah and would not be allowed to continue sailing.

The standard is to quarantine the crew 2 weeks on land before joining the ship.

Sometime it’s more. As in a video of a sound and lightning engineer that joined Quantum.
He quarantined in Miami for 2 weeks and got on a private charter with more crew ,that did the same and then flew to Singapore.
After another 2 weeks quarantine in Singapore they got on the ship and started.

So say Ovation and Pacific Explorer where given a permit to cruise in Sydney. The crew would have to quarantine for two weeks before joining the ship and then the repositioning which would be another 2 weeks.

I would say once the ship is here ,the crew would have to quarantine locally for two weeks before joining the ship.

I feel the issue with when cruising will start..... is you hear something positive adn it could be... then another lockdown..... vaccines oneday..... now the very average offering from Princess.....

It would be nice to have something to look forward to.... but it is not looking this way

Also the BH is having a milestone birthday in a month.... every other one was been a grand affair ( she deserve it, particularly being stuck we me     lol )

This year is not looking good...  can't really guarantee travel interstate.. all the places want to stay are booked or closed.....

So looking like dinner at home....... then maybe something later once things stabilize..... we will see..

Don 

12 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

The standard is to quarantine the crew 2 weeks on land before joining the ship.

Sometime it’s more. As in a video of a sound and lightning engineer that joined Quantum.
He quarantined in Miami for 2 weeks and got on a private charter with more crew ,that did the same and then flew to Singapore.
After another 2 weeks quarantine in Singapore they got on the ship and started.

So say Ovation and Pacific Explorer where given a permit to cruise in Sydney. The crew would have to quarantine for two weeks before joining the ship and then the repositioning which would be another 2 weeks.

I would say once the ship is here ,the crew would have to quarantine locally for two weeks before joining the ship.

Thanks, that's about what I'd read a while back and what I expect will have to happen for all ships.

It will be interesting to see where the ships embark their crews.

4 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

I feel the issue with when cruising will start..... is you hear something positive adn it could be... then another lockdown..... vaccines oneday..... now the very average offering from Princess.....

It would be nice to have something to look forward to.... but it is not looking this way

Also the BH is having a milestone birthday in a month.... every other one was been a grand affair ( she deserve it, particularly being stuck we me     lol )

This year is not looking good...  can't really guarantee travel interstate.. all the places want to stay are booked or closed.....

So looking like dinner at home....... then maybe something later once things stabilize..... we will see..

Don 

Don't give up hope, Don. I thought our SA trip was a gonna but it all came right at the last minute. We arrived in Hahndorf about an hour ago after three days driving from Sydney. We board the river cruise boat on Sunday evening.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Don't give up hope, Don. I thought our SA trip was a gonna but it all came right at the last minute. We arrived in Hahndorf about an hour ago after three days driving from Sydney. We board the river cruise boat on Sunday evening.

We want updates and photos please - living vicariously through you on this river cruise 🙏🤔

33 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Have a wonderful cruise. 😁

12 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We arrived in Hahndorf about an hour ago after three days driving from Sydney. We board the river cruise boat on Sunday evening.

Julie, I hope you have a wonderful cruise and holiday. Take care and fingers crossed you are able to travel without any problems.

Leigh