Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

2 hours ago, Cruisers47 said:

Yes Julie, you are right!

had a look and Silverseas are still advertising,

need The NSW Premier to come and make some statement.

no other Premier will open the borders to cruising!

Silversea is well known for having a website that is not up to date. There is a report on the SS board that the 21 Dec cruise has been cancelled and waiting to make a decision on the others.

We have a booking for end of Jan so still waiting to find out.

So the present policy is as follows, right?

• Australians can travel internationally and take a cruise in international waters.
  • Internationals can arrive in Australia from overseas via air, but can't take a domestic cruise in Australia.
  • Internationals must not arrive in Australia by sea as it's preferred by air.
  • Australians can travel around Australia on a cruise whilst served by an International crew.

Makes perfect sense.

Edited by ollyoeno

5 minutes ago, woodscruise said:

My guess, it is just going for some exercise. If it was heading towards Australia it would not be hugging the US coastline. 

We will have to keep an eye on her.

I think it was doing 16 knots,unusual for a ship in warm layup.
It might be just stretching it’s legs and making fresh water.

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

My thoughts exactly.

If she does start to move here, and as we know from the last Alaska cruise, majority of the crew were sent home, where will they join the ship?

I don't think the crew can fly into Australia without having the 14 days quarantine, as they will not be Australians returning, and the caps are still in place for non vaccinated passengers. 

13 minutes ago, woodscruise said:

My thoughts exactly.

If she does start to move here, and as we know from the last Alaska cruise, majority of the crew were sent home, where will they join the ship?

I don't think the crew can fly into Australia without having the 14 days quarantine, as they will not be Australians returning, and the caps are still in place for non vaccinated passengers. 

Apparently there’s going to be some announcements by our gov today.

If it does come here it would be a big expense but what’s the alternative, no revenue and a ship gathering marine growth.

Might be going to California to pick up crew and cheap fuel.

And it won’t have to satisfy the PVSA because it doesn’t have passengers.

Edited by Chiliburn

12 hours ago, ollyoeno said:

So the present policy is as follows, right?

• Australians can travel internationally and take a cruise in international waters.
  • Internationals can arrive in Australia from overseas via air, but can't take a domestic cruise in Australia.
  • Internationals must not arrive in Australia by sea as it's preferred by air.
  • Australians can travel around Australia on a cruise whilst served by an International crew.

Makes perfect sense.

That is not the present policy. I don't know where you got the idea that it is. 🙂

Queensland is opening up for international arrivals coming by air, but they must be vaccinated, have a negative test and go into quarantine. Australians cannot travel around Australia on any cruise  because there aren't any. It doesn't matter whether they are served by local or international crews.

At the moment, large cruise ships are not permitted to enter Aust waters. There have been a couple of small ships operating with limited pax numbers - 100 I believe.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

For that size of vessel, galapagos via FP to Sydney is a route during this time of year.

P&O have posted the following response on their...... page

Hi everyone, you may be aware that the Federal Minister for Health Greg Hunt has said the government is reviewing the ban on cruise ships which is currently in place until December 17.

This is encouraging news but it is only a first step towards a restart plan for cruising.
Our loyal guests and the many businesses that rely on cruising would see cancelling the ban as a positive step in the right direction. However, we don’t want to get ahead of ourselves especially given the media coverage that cruising could return by Christmas.

In fact, much remains to be done in establishing a pathway before cruise ships can return to Australia and, as you also know, with the continuing uncertainty our cruise operations are paused until February 2022. However, cancelling the cruise ban would open the way for detailed discussions with state governments to engage and establish the framework for resumption.

Overall, Mr Hunt’s comments are encouraging and we look forward to the possibility of bringing you further positive news in the coming weeks. There is every reason to be confident that Australia’s cruise industry can safely resume and we look forward to working with the states to achieve this outcome.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Porky55 said:

😆 - I had heard that Ponant has ships in Tahiti - have to wait and see 👀

Porky, they have 2 ships in Noumea, even closer.

They are waiting for the go ahead to run to 3 week cruises to Antarctica from Hobart (was Dunedin) for Le Soleal (we are booked on the 13th January)and they have Le LaPerouse waiting for a south pacific cruise.

They have recently cancelled some Tasmania and NZ cruises (one was to be on the finish line for the Sydney to Hobart as they sponsors. I'm sure they could throw something together quickly, although I'm not sure what the status  of crew is....

2 hours ago, ollyoeno said:

For that size of vessel, galapagos via FP to Sydney is a route during this time of year.

The site vessel finder has it doing 17 knots and destination is Seattle in 2 days on the 17th November at 10:00
Might be a false alarm but it’s going quite fast for going nowhere.

19 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

The site vessel finder has it doing 17 knots and destination is Seattle in 2 days on the 17th November at 10:00

Testing engines?

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I must have made a mistake,the destination is on the 27th.

Almost 2 weeks time in Seattle. Something doesn’t add up.

D6174514-D070-4C09-AEE8-E2337C1BAB65.thumb.png.6f563dc084e7e9b3d1f13ba198559a40.png

28 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Marine Trafgic had her departing Seattle with Sea as the destination, so who knows what is really happening.

Someone said there’s bad weather heading towards Seattle.

Ovation could take shelter behind a island but a ice storm is something a cruise ship isn’t built for.