Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

18 minutes ago, woodscruise said:

Do you think this is why Royal Princess is on her way to Singapore?

I wonder when the news was broken about the cruise ban been lifted as Carnival & P&O cancelled some of their cruises over the past 2 days.

Possibly Michael. Has anyone got the local Princess emails?

I emailed  gsmith@rcclapac and that’s what he said.
They are working hard to get a ship here and possibly over winter.

Nice fellow and always replies.

As I said I would post the email but it has some nasty legal things on it.

11 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Possibly Michael. Has anyone got the local Princess emails?

I emailed  gsmith@rcclapac and that’s what he said.
They are working hard to get a ship here and possibly over winter.

Nice fellow and always replies.

As I said I would post the email but it has some nasty legal things on it.

Better not to post the email. You have given us the 'guts' of it. Thank you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Do they have a button you can press that gives the great unwashed a electrical charge,you know like those dog collars they have for sheep dogs.

image.jpeg.8d2cfaaa4ba07a35c0f23f81bb7a46c8.jpeg

You will need to book a Princess cruise to find out chili 😆

1 hour ago, woodscruise said:

I wonder when the news was broken about the cruise ban been lifted as Carnival & P&O cancelled some of their cruises over the past 2 days.

To be honest Michael it maybe going to Singapore for work.

LA and San Diego are pretty congested and maybe a dry dock and work before Alaska.

1 hour ago, woodscruise said:

No. I think Princess will start down here with only one ship, and that's Coral Princess. And she'll stay here through to the 24/25 season at least - because she's scheduled to do the 2024 World Cruise and all the other big cruises over winter. She's our ship in the way Sea Princess used to be.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No. I think Princess will start down here with only one ship, and that's Coral Princess. And she'll stay here through to the 24/25 season at least - because she's scheduled to do the 2024 World Cruise and all the other big cruises over winter. She's our ship in the way Sea Princess used to be.

Interesting news about the December date. I wonder if that is 'lifting' the ban on international cruise vessels entering our waters with over 100 passengers. Both industry and politicos keep discussing 'domestic first' policies, but they won't elaborate on how international crew will enter.

With 90% vaccinated we're fast approaching the date that cruiselines can take legal action against Australian government, and win, right?

16 minutes ago, ollyoeno said:

Interesting news about the December date. I wonder if that is 'lifting' the ban on international cruise vessels entering our waters with over 100 passengers. Both industry and politicos keep discussing 'domestic first' policies, but they won't elaborate on how international crew will enter.

With 90% vaccinated we're fast approaching the date that cruiselines can take legal action against Australian government, and win, right?

Don't get too excited! The December date is merely the Federal government removing the emergency bio-security regulations. 

Scomo has already stated that the resumption of cruising will be decided by the States. In other words he's passed the buck and left it open to total chaos. 

Nationally Australia still has a fair way to go to reach 90% vaccinated. Queensland, WA, SA, and the NT aren't even at 80%

I doubt any cruise line would be able to take legal action against the Australian government. There is no law that I'm aware of that states that Australia must have open borders to anyone. 

As much as I want to cruise again as soon as possible we are now going to have to put ul with the vaguaries of State politics.

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I doubt any cruise line would be able to take legal action against the Australian government. There is no law that I'm aware of that states that Australia must have open borders to anyone. 

Floridians did a pretty good job at setting politicos and the CDC straight.

I'm fairly certain 'restraint of trade' is a charge that could be brought against state governments, particularly if they resume international and domestic flights but refuse international and domestic cruise passengers.

Edit: Seeing as we're disclosing discussions with industry bods, I'll add that I have discussed this with Graham Turner who (was) talking to Gladys, but is now debating legal action in conjunction with cruise lines to get stuff restarted.

My opinion is that it is very, very easy to argue that politicos are endorsing flights over cruise, which creates an unfair advantage in the domestic and international travel market. Given cruise is now statistically safer than air travel for Covid-19 infections, I'd like to see the hot air that comes back.

Edited by ollyoeno

I’m still anxiously waiting to hear about our 13th January cruise.

Ponant have religiously been cancelling two months before. The usual practice (such as our August Kimberley cruise and Jan 6th NZ cruise) was change sailing to ‘fully booked’ 10-12 days prior to the 2 months then official notification a week later.

our Ponant cruise remains available on the website (except for approx 20-25% of cabins being made available 2 weeks ago), when I expected it to go to ‘fully booked’.

We’ve tentatively got a cabin on hold for August 2022 north east passage. Ponant have agreed to hold it till next Friday (a 3week hold), and have advised we will ‘know the outcome of the Jan 13 cruise by then’.

I really believe they must be close to getting approval/answer otherwise they would have followed their usual cancellation policy. Tasmania has updated their policy for cruise ships end of last month (it seems they are allowed with passengers and nothing I can see about restrictions on foreign owned ships).

The only concern is that other lines Princess, P&O and Carnival have all cancelled in the last week, (and SS will apparently cancel the first 3 sailings) the only difference is size of ship with Ponant having a max of 200 passengers in Antarctica and the ship being close, currently in Noumea.

I predict an answer this week…

7 hours ago, ollyoeno said:

Floridians did a pretty good job at setting politicos and the CDC straight.

I wouldn't use that State as a good example of pandemic control and the USA does not have the same rules as Australia. But let's not get into politics.

• Like 2

UK is back to 40,000 new cases a day and many deaths. I think Scomo should declare the UK a no go zone, likewise Europe, out of control.  Looking at BBC news this morning, Netherlands, Austria and Germany tightening up restrictions and lockdowns.   Meanwhile Boris J lets England wander on out of control, as an example BBC the Govt channel was informing of restrictions in the rest of Europe, but hardly a word on their own countries problems, heads stuck in the sand.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've been pleasantly surprised over how the NSW numbers have stayed relatively low since our lockdown ended. There were predictions of big increases but that hasn't happened, and if it was going to happen we'd be seeing signs of it by now. Fingers crossed we've stabilised.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

UK is back to 40,000 new cases a day and many deaths. I think Scomo should declare the UK a no go zone, likewise Europe, out of control.  Looking at BBC news this morning, Netherlands, Austria and Germany tightening up restrictions and lockdowns.   Meanwhile Boris J lets England wander on out of control, as an example BBC the Govt channel was informing of restrictions in the rest of Europe, but hardly a word on their own countries problems, heads stuck in the sand.

I read Austria is about to commence a lockdown only for the unvaccinated members of their population. Seems fair to me but I can only imagine the outcry if that were attempted by any of the Labor premiers in Australia!

The UK (or Boris himself) doesn't seem to have taken to heart any of the lessons of the past year and a half. Why have they mucked up vaccinating the 12-15s so badly? I think they're rolling out boosters now but no sign of vaccinating 5-11s yet. Now they're saying that they forecast, at worst, lockdowns will still be in use until 2026. It's a pity the world is so interconnected from the point of view of the spread of disease. I absolutely agree with you that those areas you mention should be declared no-go zones or at least have some sort of quarantine and extra testing for those coming from those areas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I read Austria is about to commence a lockdown only for the unvaccinated members of their population. Seems fair to me but I can only imagine the outcry if that were attempted by any of the Labor premiers in Australia!

The UK (or Boris himself) doesn't seem to have taken to heart any of the lessons of the past year and a half. Why have they mucked up vaccinating the 12-15s so badly? I think they're rolling out boosters now but no sign of vaccinating 5-11s yet. Now they're saying that they forecast, at worst, lockdowns will still be in use until 2026. It's a pity the world is so interconnected from the point of view of the spread of disease. I absolutely agree with you that those areas you mention should be declared no-go zones or at least have some sort of quarantine and extra testing for those coming from those areas.

Queen Palachook of Qld is almost locking down unvaccinated people for ever too, unnvaxxed up there cannot enter, pubs, clubs, restaurants etc, indefinitely it would appear.  They willl have a miserable life.

34 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Queen Palachook of Qld is almost locking down unvaccinated people for ever too, unnvaxxed up there cannot enter, pubs, clubs, restaurants etc, indefinitely it would appear.  They willl have a miserable life.

Sounds like personal choices have consequences, there is a simple solution.

• Like 5

Frustrating to be fully vaccinated and still no date for cruising to begin.

Regarding the number of positive cases no we know how many are/were fully vaccinated? Not clear if all states are disclosing that info.

Same with the number of deaths, are/were they fully vaccinated, had boosters.

Sad to read large outbreaks are requiring restrictions in some countries in Europe again but I understand the necessity.

Again are the positive cases fully vaccinated?

Boosters are being brought forward which is good. 

1 hour ago, pully8 said:

Regarding the number of positive cases no we know how many are/were fully vaccinated? Not clear if all states are disclosing that info.

This data from NSW only goes from the start of the Delta outbreak to mid October but from other things I have read recently that pattern continues even into November and follows the same pattern in Victoria and elsewhere in the world:

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/covid-19/Documents/in-focus/covid-19-vaccination-case-surveillance-051121.pdf

These two sections being most relevant to your query;

• Of 61,800 COVID-19 cases, the vast majority were unvaccinated; 6.1% of cases had two doses of vaccine, 9.2% had one dose, 63.1% reported having no vaccine. For 21.7% vaccination status was classified as not known because they did not match to a record in the AIR of COVID-19 vaccine receipt.

• There were 8,660 cases who were hospitalised, 1,015 admitted to ICU and 412 who died with COVID-19. Of these, 493 of the hospitalised, 30 of those admitted to ICU and 47 of those who died had received two doses of vaccine. Of the 47 cases who died with COVID-19 who had two doses of vaccine, their average age was 82 years.

• Like 3

I'm an Aussie expat in Europe, enjoying my freedom. I've taken two cruises in the past three months, which were great :classic_biggrin: I'm now planning to cruise over to New York and back on the QM.

Here in the UK, there is a significant number of people dying after vaccination. Vaccinations do not prevent us catching C-19 at 80 years of age and dying from an unrelated ailment. Whether countries report C-19 as the primary or secondary cause of death when publishing their C-19 death figures is important. Some countries do not include co-morbidities. Most of the deaths in the UK cite C-19 as a secondary cause, the primary being a co-morbidity such as respiratory disease, influenza, and common ailments after a 'good innings'.

From 1 January 2020 to 3 November 2021 (the UK report) the deaths as a direct result of Covid-19 (i.e. not a co-morbidity):

1323062361_Screenshot2021-11-13at09_41_26.thumb.png.8921b230de6f8f1056e6c9b399724a68.png

That's less than 30,000 in the 80+ category. Seasonal influenza kills in excess of 33,000 in the UK on a bi-annual basis. From the report we can also see the following data on case load per 100k population between 2-9 November 2021 all over the world:

18086007_Screenshot2021-11-13at09_44_38.thumb.png.5b385335fd639c991aa703fe719eab21.png

Most countries in light blue have a very high rate of vaccination with published, peer proven, efficacy rates.

Hopefully the data here will reassure you to book cruises internationally and to write to your masters about how much you enjoy breaking domestic rules overseas. To regain mass international travel freedoms, Australians must accept the possibility for larger caseloads, fatalities, and risk.

Not meant as any form of political comment - I understand that publishers have to be careful what Australians are allowed to have opinions on these days!

Edited by ollyoeno
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ollyoeno said:

I'm an Aussie expat in Europe, enjoying my freedom. I've taken two cruises in the past three months, which were great :classic_biggrin: I'm now planning to cruise over to New York and back on the QM.

Here in the UK, there is a significant number of people dying after vaccination. Vaccinations do not prevent us catching C-19 at 80 years of age and dying from an unrelated ailment. Whether countries report C-19 as the primary or secondary cause of death when publishing their C-19 death figures is important. Some countries do not include co-morbidities. Most of the deaths in the UK cite C-19 as a secondary cause, the primary being a co-morbidity such as respiratory disease, influenza, and common ailments after a 'good innings'.

From 1 January 2020 to 3 November 2021 (the UK report) the deaths as a direct result of Covid-19 (i.e. not a co-morbidity):

1323062361_Screenshot2021-11-13at09_41_26.thumb.png.8921b230de6f8f1056e6c9b399724a68.png

That's less than 30,000 in the 80+ category. Seasonal influenza kills in excess of 33,000 in the UK on a bi-annual basis. From the report we can also see the following data on case load per 100k population between 2-9 November 2021 all over the world:

18086007_Screenshot2021-11-13at09_44_38.thumb.png.5b385335fd639c991aa703fe719eab21.png

Most countries in light blue have a very high rate of vaccination with published, peer proven, efficacy rates.

Hopefully the data here will reassure you to book cruises internationally and to write to your masters about how much you enjoy breaking domestic rules overseas. To regain mass international travel freedoms, Australians must accept the possibility for larger caseloads, fatalities, and risk.

Not meant as any form of political comment - I understand that publishers have to be careful what Australians are allowed to have opinions on these days!

Are you sure it's not closer to around 57,000 in the age 80+ category? I think you may have forgotten to add the males and females together (each side of the chart).

You suggest UK has two flu seasons per year; why is that so? (i.e. you say they have 33,000 deaths from influenza on a bi-annual basis). It's a good thing the covid vaccine has higher efficacy than the flu vaccine, isn't it. And just imagine what the number of deaths would have been over the last 12 months without the very high rate of vaccination in the older age groups in the UK - unthinkable.

The world chart only shows the amount of change in case rate in places; they may still have a very high rate but if it has decreased during the last week this chart presents it as a 'win'. It is of course a good thing if case rate decreases but it doesn't mean it is safe to travel there.

I think Australians living in Australia will decide for themselves what risks they wish to embrace; I don't think we need to be told what we 'must' do. For some strange reason Australians haven't come around to believing we ''must' accept higher rates of fatalities. I think we've managed to retain some sense of compassion for the more vulnerable among us, as well as for our health care workers. All these things matter in the rush to pretend it never happened.

• Like 8