Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

Vaccination rates in the South Pacific as at 01/11/21 (% total population fully vaxxed):

Australia 64.9

New Zealand 62.5

PNG 1.2

Solomon Islands 4.5

New Caledonia 58

Vanuatu 10.7

Fiji 62.5

Tonga 35.2

Samoa 41.2

Cook Islands 64.1

French Polynesia 52.4

From that it looks like New Caledonia, Fiji, Cook Islands, NZ and maybe French Polynesia will hit their vaccination targets around the same time as Australia. So they look good as 2022 destinations.

It looks like PNG, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu and maybe Tonga will not. They look very doubtful as 2022 destinations.

3 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Vaccination rates in the South Pacific as at 01/11/21 (% total population fully vaxxed):

Australia 64.9

New Zealand 62.5

PNG 1.2

Solomon Islands 4.5

New Caledonia 58

Vanuatu 10.7

Fiji 62.5

Tonga 35.2

Samoa 41.2

Cook Islands 64.1

French Polynesia 52.4

From that it looks like New Caledonia, Fiji, Cook Islands, NZ and maybe French Polynesia will hit their vaccination targets around the same time as Australia. So they look good as 2022 destinations.

It looks like PNG, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu and maybe Tonga will not. They look very doubtful as 2022 destinations.

Interesting. I suspect they'll still end up as destinations on itineraries, then cancelled last minute, right?

3 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Well, I see yesterday Princess dropped the last few  remaining summer cruises on Coral next year - very sad days 😢

Have they cancelled summer cruises in 2022? That doesn't sound good. ☹️

Wow! I have been able to post after being locked out for a few days.

Edited by Aus Traveller

16 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Have they cancelled summer cruises in 2022? That doesn't sound good. ☹️

Wow! I have been able to post after being locked out for a few days.

Yes - first cruise for Aus/NZ is Sept 22. 😢

So many that have already had cancelled cruises have been hit again. Do you have any early next year?

As to log in - I’ve made sure my page for CC is cruisecitic.com.au  and haven’t had as many problems with log in. Occasionally I need to logout and login again - hope this helps 😃

Edited by Porky55

Just now, Porky55 said:

Yes - first cruise for Aus/NZ is Sept 22. 😢

So many that have already had cancelled cruises have been hit again.

As to log in - I’ve made sure my page for CC is cruisecitic.com.au  and haven’t had as many problems with log in. Occasionally I need to logout and login again - hope this helps 😃

I mistakenly thought you meant that Princess cruises in late 2022 were cancelled. I know the cruises very early in the year have bitten the dust - we have had one more cancelled.

I will try your suggestion for logging on. I have been locked out so much, I have been losing interest in the site.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

I mistakenly thought you meant that Princess cruises in late 2022 were cancelled. I know the cruises very early in the year have bitten the dust - we have had one more cancelled.

I will try your suggestion for logging on. I have been locked out so much, I have been losing interest in the site.

Sorry, I talk in our summers 🙄  The 22/23 summer season “looks” safe for now 🤞

So, what are your plans now for cruises - or like us, do you have more booked.

57 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Sorry, I talk in our summers 🙄  The 22/23 summer season “looks” safe for now 🤞

So, what are your plans now for cruises - or like us, do you have more booked.

We had several cruises booked, but all we have left are -

May 2022 - Pacific Encounter seven nights to Noumea, Lifou & Vila (an easy cruise for us)

May - July 2022 - part of the world cruise on Coral Princess Sydney to New York (I believe this will bite the dust)

August 2022 - Pacific Encounter seven nights to Noumea, Lifou & Vila

June - Sept 2023 - part of the world cruise Sydney to New York (This one might be OK)

These were all booked on minimal deposits or using FCDs. We are not risking a lot of money.

What do you have booked?

Edited by Aus Traveller

I now see that the WC 2022 has bitten the dust. From February this year I believed this would happen. That's why I booked 2023 as a fall-back option. People booked on 2022 who want to take a replacement cruise, will have difficulty getting on 2023 because there weren't many cabins left when I booked a little while after bookings opened.

27 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I now see that the WC 2022 has bitten the dust. From February this year I believed this would happen. That's why I booked 2023 as a fall-back option. People booked on 2022 who want to take a replacement cruise, will have difficulty getting on 2023 because there weren't many cabins left when I booked a little while after bookings opened.

That’s right, so you are now down to a couple of P&O cruises - everything crossed for these - we have Carnival Spirit booked in May 22, as well. 🤞
Then we are waitlisted on Coral around Aus in Oct22 and Royal Princess in Dec 22.

We also moved to WC23 a while ago and are on Dover to Sydney sector, would like to think that this one is safe 😳

4 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

That’s right, so you are now down to a couple of P&O cruises - everything crossed for these - we have Carnival Spirit booked in May 22, as well. 🤞
Then we are waitlisted on Coral around Aus in Oct22 and Royal Princess in Dec 22.

We also moved to WC23 a while ago and are on Dover to Sydney sector, would like to think that this one is safe 😳

As you say, we are down to two little P&O cruises. However, I think it is likely the 2023 WC will be OK. We have to decide if we take a replacement for our Coral P cruise to Tassie that was booked for Feb 2022. We have to discuss it here,  😁 but I favour taking the replacement.

I think it is likely there will be some domestic or nearby-island cruises on the Coral in the middle of 2022 (in place of the cancelled WC) if Princess gets permission to re-start cruising. We might find there are some good deals. I hope so anyway. 😁

Edited by Aus Traveller

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I think it is likely there will be some domestic or nearby-island cruises on the Coral in the middle of 2022 (in place of the cancelled WC) if Princess gets permission to re-start cruising. We might find there are some good deals. I hope so anyway. 😁

I hope you are right, this would be something to look forward to 🤔

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

1 hour ago, Porky55 said:

I hope you are right, this would be something to look forward to 🤔

In the email I received Princess stated: "Given the ongoing uncertainty of travel restrictions to the regions visited on these cruises, we will be replacing voyages currently scheduled on Coral Princess through May 2022. New Coral Princess itineraries departing from Australia for autumn 2022 will be announced in due course.

So hopefully we'll be able to get some sort of cruise in autumn.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 9:17 AM, Cruisegroover said:

I note on the Princess website a lot of the Coral Princess cruises are reading 'Currently not Available'. Who knows what all this means really.

That was me who said Feb New Zealand on Coral was cancelled.

I have just today got the same (but in reverse) cruise in Feb 23.

maybe the reason some are currently listed as not available is that they have passengers to move over from next year for instance Feb 22 had 2 cruises but 23 only has the one 

Cheers Carole

NCL on track for Sydney Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) continues to anticipate the deployment of its Norwegian Spirit in Australian waters in the first quarter of 2022, with a “voyage resumption plan” unveiled overnight detailing a Mar return to service in Sydney. Announcing quarterly financial results, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings (NCLH) Chief Executive Officer Frank Del Rio (pictured), said the company’s great cruise comback is already on track, with 11 ships already sailing across the globe from the NCL, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruies brands. “Initial trends are extremely positive with strong onboard revenue, high guest satisfaction scores and our comprehensive science-backed SailSAFE health and safety protocols working as designed to minimise the impact of COVID-19,” he said. Del Rio laid out the phased relaunch plans for the remainder of the fleet, with about 40% of capacity currently in operation, and plans to have all 28 vessels back by Apr. The restart also envisions Oceania’s Regatta returning to service in Feb next year in Papeete, while Mar will see Norwegian Sun recommence operations in Tokyo and Norwegian Jewel in Panama, as well as the planned local return of Spirit. Del Rio noted the Delta variant of COVID-19 had negatively impacted third quarter booking volumes, but the impact had now abated, with particularly strong booking levels for sailings in the second half of 2022 and into 2023. The company continued to burn cash at the rate of US$275 million per month during the quarter, and NCLH expects this to increase in the current three month period due to additional costs around the relaunch of more ships. Total revenue was USD$153.1 million for the three months to 30 Sep, compared to just USD$6.5 million in the corresponding period last year. Although NCLH made a net loss of USD$845.9 million for the quarter, and expects to continue losses until it is able to resume regular voyages, the company expects to be profitable for the second half of next year, based on its “current trajectory”

Source Cruise Weekly 04Nov21.

7 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Regarding NCL and news items - the same CEO has said that they will only accept fully Covid vaccinated passengers for the foreseeable future ……

Source Cruise Critic https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/6563/

I imagine that will be a requirement for any cruise ships operating out of Australia next year. And by then that might mean having had at least one booster shot on top of the original two shots.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

22 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I imagine that will be a requirement for any cruise ships operating out of Australia next year. And by then that might mean having had at least one booster shot on top of the original two shots.

I hope you are right. 

Hi

i am booked on NCL IN April around Japan.

I have just found out that NCL have delayed final payment from December 2021 to March 2022.

I too read the Cruise Weekly stating that NCL was coming to Aus early next year,

I know doubt that this will happen!!

eileen

11 hours ago, woodscruise said:

NCL on track for Sydney Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) continues to anticipate the deployment of its Norwegian Spirit in Australian waters in the first quarter of 2022, with a “voyage resumption plan” unveiled overnight detailing a Mar return to service in Sydney. Announcing quarterly financial results, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings (NCLH) Chief Executive Officer Frank Del Rio (pictured), said the company’s great cruise comback is already on track, with 11 ships already sailing across the globe from the NCL, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruies brands. “Initial trends are extremely positive with strong onboard revenue, high guest satisfaction scores and our comprehensive science-backed SailSAFE health and safety protocols working as designed to minimise the impact of COVID-19,” he said. Del Rio laid out the phased relaunch plans for the remainder of the fleet, with about 40% of capacity currently in operation, and plans to have all 28 vessels back by Apr. The restart also envisions Oceania’s Regatta returning to service in Feb next year in Papeete, while Mar will see Norwegian Sun recommence operations in Tokyo and Norwegian Jewel in Panama, as well as the planned local return of Spirit. Del Rio noted the Delta variant of COVID-19 had negatively impacted third quarter booking volumes, but the impact had now abated, with particularly strong booking levels for sailings in the second half of 2022 and into 2023. The company continued to burn cash at the rate of US$275 million per month during the quarter, and NCLH expects this to increase in the current three month period due to additional costs around the relaunch of more ships. Total revenue was USD$153.1 million for the three months to 30 Sep, compared to just USD$6.5 million in the corresponding period last year. Although NCLH made a net loss of USD$845.9 million for the quarter, and expects to continue losses until it is able to resume regular voyages, the company expects to be profitable for the second half of next year, based on its “current trajectory”

Good luck with that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, woodscruise said:

National cabinet meets today, it’s the first in a month and also for our new premier.

We can only hope.

• Like 2

On 11/3/2021 at 6:30 AM, Chiliburn said:

What’s Royal Princess upto?  ,it’s heading west to Hawaii.

DId you ever find out why Royal Princess is going to Hawaii? It is due there on 6Nov at 630am and back to sea  at 630am on 7Nov, according to Hawaii traffic schedule.

4 minutes ago, woodscruise said:

DId you ever find out why Royal Princess is going to Hawaii? It is due there on 6Nov at 630am and back to sea  at 630am on 7Nov, according to Hawaii traffic schedule.

We can only speculate Michael?
I don’t know it’s schedule or when it’s planned to start cruises. It’s enough to keep up with RC ships.But it’s strange it’s heading to Hawaii at a fairly decent speed.

Maybe getting a headstart for the race to Sydney??