Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

Just now, Snoopkat said:

I looked at Carnival Splendor awhile back because of the pricing but I couldn't get past the ugly decor. The 5 pages of negative reviews also didn't help. 

Oh dear! That's not good. Although I reckon the Carnival decor is so bad it's actually hilarious. 

5 hours ago, sewgood said:

Usually a Princess cruiser but have been on P&O and Carnival (out of Australia).

We would sail on Carnival again as we enjoyed the food in the dining room (very different selection to Princess which was good for a change) and the waiters were always great even at lunch and breakfast when they weren't your usual waiters.

Carnival may surprise you.

This is nice to hear. Despite the average reviews I booked a cabin for the 4-night Moreton Island cruise on Splendor in May, just to have something to look forward to. The price was remarkable, <$1000 with $100 OBC.  

At lot of those reviews were picking on things I don't care about, and I figure it'll be nice just being out at sea, enjoying the steam rooms in the spa, drinking some cocktails and eating too much.

I actually expected the food to be fairly average, so it's nice to hear I can look forward to that too! Hope it happens!

31 minutes ago, adelaidefc said:

This is nice to hear. Despite the average reviews I booked a cabin for the 4-night Moreton Island cruise on Splendor in May, just to have something to look forward to. The price was remarkable, <$1000 with $100 OBC.  

At lot of those reviews were picking on things I don't care about, and I figure it'll be nice just being out at sea, enjoying the steam rooms in the spa, drinking some cocktails and eating too much.

I actually expected the food to be fairly average, so it's nice to hear I can look forward to that too! Hope it happens!

When we were on Legend we ended up chatting to the Food and Beverage Manager one night. He said they modify the menu for the Aussie season. It certainly wasn't as American as some of the other cruise lines. We had no complaints. The MDR meals were great and one dish, called something like Island Pork and labelled as spicy actually was spicy and very, very delicious.

• Like 1

Hi

we were on carnival a few years ago.

the staff in the MDR we’re very good with the grandkids.   They entertained them and the kids appreciated it.

I think that different cruises suit different people.

we have booked a 7 day cruise on Carnival in September.   Not very expensive and something to look forward to.

eileen

P&O Australia just cancelled a number of Spring cruises out of Fremantle, Adelaide and Singapore, and cruises out of Cairns until the end of June 2022.  We had a booking on the late June cruise to PNG and the Solomon Islands.  No cruises to PNG until October 2022.  Not a surprise yet disappointed because we can't take the June 2023 version as it's not compatible with our school calendar -- we live in Washington DC.  This would have been our first P&O Australia cruise.  When we booked this cruise back in February, we were hopeful about vaccination around the world.  Hasn't happened across the board.  

34 minutes ago, Dididi said:

P&O Australia just cancelled a number of Spring cruises out of Fremantle, Adelaide and Singapore, and cruises out of Cairns until the end of June 2022.  We had a booking on the late June cruise to PNG and the Solomon Islands.  No cruises to PNG until October 2022.  Not a surprise yet disappointed because we can't take the June 2023 version as it's not compatible with our school calendar -- we live in Washington DC.  This would have been our first P&O Australia cruise.  When we booked this cruise back in February, we were hopeful about vaccination around the world.  Hasn't happened across the board.  

It's my view the cruise sector in Australia is being used as a scapegoat until the election. When that's decided, I think we'll see a reopening.

Very sorry to read about these cancellations. I hope someone can act swiftly and decisively before the election to get cruises back into Australia, but I think it's simply too risky for Scotty's PR machine.

Edited by ollyoeno

Cruising has been in progress for sometime now out of Australia.

Perhaps those who can will simply book and join a cruise of their choice overseas?

Tempted to do that once the logistics are clearer and passports are renewed.

Might be prudent to get the boosters first but once the borders are fully open the risk of infection might be the same here?

Interesting to see how each state handles the health challenges around COVID19.

9 hours ago, ollyoeno said:

It's my view the cruise sector in Australia is being used as a scapegoat until the election. When that's decided, I think we'll see a reopening.

Very sorry to read about these cancellations. I hope someone can act swiftly and decisively before the election to get cruises back into Australia, but I think it's simply too risky for Scotty's PR machine.

Scotty has already passed the buck re cruising to the states. Queenslanders might get to cruise from mid-March but the rest of us might have to wait a lot longer.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It's a bit gaudy but at least it's cheerful!

There were my first impressions when we first boarded Carnival Spirit some years ago, actually Hawaii to Alaska - Fire and Ice in 2006.   The interior is like a mini Las Vegas, lol. Quite gaudy.

On another note, Queen Anna P from the Kingdom of Qld is talking about locking down the Qld Gold Coast again because of two covid cases - Uber Driver.  Personally I don't believe she will reopen the Qld/NSW border on 17 December.

Edited by NSWP

So this is from the horse’s mouth.

I emailed my mate Gavin Smith of RC sydney and he replied in a few minutes.I would post the email but it has a copyright on it.

He said the the cruise ban has been lifted as of December 17.

I asked if we could have radiance here in sydney for a few months early 2022 .On its way from dry dock in Spain to Alaska deployment in May 2022.

He said it will be difficult ,it’s early days but we are working on it and possibly a ship over winter.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I emailed my mate Gavin Smith of RC sydney and he replied in a few minutes.I would post the email but it has a copyright on it.

I asked if we could have radiance here in sydney for a few months early 2022 .On its way from dry dock in Spain to Alaska deployment in May 2022.

He said it will be difficult ,it’s early days but we are working on it and possibly a ship over winter.

That's the Federal cruise ban. But it still doesn't mean the states will allow cruising.🙄😒

13 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's the Federal cruise ban. But it still doesn't mean the states will allow cruising.🙄😒

Do hope chillis  “mate” is right, won’t it be wonderful?
You won’t have any problem with your very forward looking Premier, Julie, you should have the OPT open by Feb 22.

And up here in Qld, our Premier just loves high profile shiny new things - like NRL Grand Finals, Movie stars, 2032 Olympics and opening our bright, shiny, energy efficient new BRISBANE INTERNATIONAL CRUISE TERMINAL  😉!!

So, maybe P&O back here in QLD by March 22.🤞🙏💖

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SinbadThePorter said:

The medallions do have a battery, but I don't think that the batteries can be recharged or replaced. Not sure of their life, but it has to be at least several weeks.

Yes - I thought I read that ages ago but couldn't see in on more recent info. Presumably it is a small lithium battery like in hearing aids and watches.

27 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

The medallions do have a battery, but I don't think that the batteries can be recharged or replaced. Not sure of their life, but it has to be at least several weeks.

They'd have to last around four months otherwise there would be problems in the world cruises.

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Do you think this is why Royal Princess is on her way to Singapore?

I wonder when the news was broken about the cruise ban been lifted as Carnival & P&O cancelled some of their cruises over the past 2 days.