Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

5 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Have I got this right (in a nutshell)?

The Federal government says ships may come but it is up to individual states to let them in?

Not yet …………… if I understand the topic in discussion. 

I think we are still at … “I heard from someone important that the Biosecurity Ban won’t be extended” - but we are still in a hold pattern? 🤔

2 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Carnival Splendour always homeports in Sydney - and Spirit from Brisbane - but Spirit will get the new BICT as her base. 

The whole new notification from Carnival.au  has embarking ports in Fremantle, Adelaide and Cairns dropped for now. The date only moved a few weeks, no big deal (glass half full thinking 😉)

Oops - that’s P&O Aus that’s dropped these ports.

Keeping up with the infinite little changes is hard 😕

1 hour ago, ollyoeno said:

Referencing multiple clauses in the ICESCR but the article could be cited.

What I keep thinking about (this seems odd, but please answer me Sinbad) is... what if there's someone stuck the other side of the world, with deep vein thrombosis, medically prevented from flying, for instance. Surely that patient could be used as a landmark case to reopen other forms of travel? These cases exist, right? How do countries repatriate them?

You must have watched that awful Meryl Streep film, 'Let them all talk' - same sort of scenario.

If you had a DVT I should think the last thing in the world you'd want is to be stuck in the middle of the ocean, away from a tertiary care hospital facility. You would stay where you were and have the appropriate treatment.

I'm thinking perhaps you are resident in the USA as a lot of your ideas are very litigious. 🙂

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Have I got this right (in a nutshell)?

The Federal government says ships may come but it is up to individual states to let them in?

There’s nothing in the way of a government media release or on a website.

Its all just strong rumours,
You know someone heard it from someone ,who heard it from the Neighbours dog that was eavesdropping on 2 cats talking.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

There’s nothing in the way of a government media release or on a website.

Its all just strong rumours,
You know someone heard it from someone ,who heard it from the Neighbours dog that was eavesdropping on 2 cats talking.

Here is the PM's media release from National Cabinet of Nov regarding the commencement of cruising. https://www.pm.gov.au/media/national-cabinet-statement-051121

The part everyone is talking about is 

National Cabinet also noted a paper on international cruise ship reopening.

National Cabinet noted that states and territories will control the recommencement of cruises in each jurisdiction when the Commonwealth Minister for Health and Aged Care has revoked the BioSecurity (Human Biosecurity Emergency)(Human Coronavirus with Pandemic Potential)(Emergency Requirements for Cruise Ships).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Given that children are not yet fully vaccinated in Australia, many may make choices about their travel/cruise plans with that in mind, regardless of what the govt permits about cruises?

Small ships with fully vaccinated adults might be a safer option?

6 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

Here is the PM's media release from National Cabinet of Nov regarding the commencement of cruising. https://www.pm.gov.au/media/national-cabinet-statement-051121

National Cabinet noted that states and territories will control the recommencement of cruises in each jurisdiction when the Commonwealth Minister for Health and Aged Care has revoked the BioSecurity (Human Biosecurity Emergency)(Human Coronavirus with Pandemic Potential)(Emergency Requirements for Cruise Ships).

I think my scenario has more credibility that our PM ,LOL

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

'when' seems to be the most important word in there. Has it been confirmed it will be revoked on 17th December?

Makes sense for States and Territories to have the ultimate say as they have had to control their own borders for the duration of the pandemic, so far. But another nice handball from the chief...

Interesting if individual states/territories will make their own decisions about cruising permits?

Some states are still behind in their vaccine targets for many reasons.

Boosters will not be possible for many until January and then there are the children to also consider.

Health systems are showing difficulties to manage even without outbreaks, ambulance ramping and long delays with elective surgery.

NSW seems to be coping with lower numbers in hospital which is good.

Not sure if that also includes those managed at home with COVID19?

Cost of self testing may be high for some too. Free in some countries. 

4 minutes ago, pully8 said:

Interesting if individual states/territories will make their own decisions about cruising permits?

Some states are still behind in their vaccine targets for many reasons.

Boosters will not be possible for many until January and then there are the children to also consider.

Health systems are showing difficulties to manage even without outbreaks, ambulance ramping and long delays with elective surgery.

NSW seems to be coping with lower numbers in hospital which is good.

Not sure if that also includes those managed at home with COVID19?

Cost of self testing may be high for some too. Free in some countries. 

I don't think the NSW hospital numbers reported include hospital in the home. I read a comment yesterday that NSW weren't reporting the case numbers of children which seems almost unbelievable but it is odd that the numbers are so much lower than Victoria - inexplicably so.

I don't think there'll be any cruising until spring or summer next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I don't think the NSW hospital numbers reported include hospital in the home. I read a comment yesterday that NSW weren't reporting the case numbers of children which seems almost unbelievable but it is odd that the numbers are so much lower than Victoria - inexplicably so.

I don't think there'll be any cruising until spring or summer next year.

I haven’t heard anything about case numbers of children not being reported.

I can tell you that at the height of the pandemic in NSW we had approx 2500 children admitted to the outreach service, we now have around 300. This number represents a patient being in our service for 14 days, as patients are discharged/de-isolated more patients are admitted.

Traditionally we seem to be getting approx 15-20% of the numbers admitted to our service (our service does not include all of NSW but a good majority of Sydney and surrounding areas).

I do know we get our patients from the NSW portal where all COVID cases are listed, so I doubt they wouldn’t be reported.

We don’t differentiate Hospital in the home patients, patients are admitted to our service, all patients have access to nurses, doctors, paediatricians, video Telehealth calls and our flying squads where a doctor and a nurse go into the home to assess children and provide treatment if required (like a HITH service). Scripts get written, filled an delivered following consultations etc.

Patients are discharged from our service if the are admitted to a Hospital, so they would be counted in the inpatient numbers, we also had a cohort of patients admitted to hospitals when parents were unable to look after them as they were unwell, I assume they were also counted in admitted numbers,

Edited by gogo65
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

it is odd that the numbers are so much lower than Victoria - inexplicably so.

Norman Swan explains why in his lastest (Friday 12th of Nov) podcast of Coronacast found on the ABC website as some of his listeners had been wondering as well.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sewgood said:

Norman Swan explains why in his lastest (Friday 12th of Nov) podcast of Coronacast found on the ABC website as some of his listeners had been wondering as well.

Thanks, sewgood. Just listened to it. I'm almost satisfied by his explanation! I think the different geography of the cities feeds into his theory also. It's all about movement and mixing of people.

Having protests every weekend doesn't help the numbers; we can expect another Thursday spike from yesterday's little tanty in the city.

1 hour ago, gogo65 said:

I haven’t heard anything about case numbers of children not being reported.

I can tell you that at the height of the pandemic in NSW we had approx 2500 children admitted to the outreach service, we now have around 300. This number represents a patient being in our service for 14 days, as patients are discharged/de-isolated more patients are admitted.

Traditionally we seem to be getting approx 15-20% of the numbers admitted to our service (our service does not include all of NSW but a good majority of Sydney and surrounding areas).

I do know we get our patients from the NSW portal where all COVID cases are listed, so I doubt they wouldn’t be reported.

We don’t differentiate Hospital in the home patients, patients are admitted to our service, all patients have access to nurses, doctors, paediatricians, video Telehealth calls and our flying squads where a doctor and a nurse go into the home to assess children and provide treatment if required (like a HITH service). Scripts get written, filled an delivered following consultations etc.

Patients are discharged from our service if the are admitted to a Hospital, so they would be counted in the inpatient numbers, we also had a cohort of patients admitted to hospitals when parents were unable to look after them as they were unwell, I assume they were also counted in admitted numbers,

I did think it was an odd suggestion and very unlikely. You're doing great work - it must often be very challenging.

12 hours ago, LincolnLegend said:

I took it that he had never been to Israel, looks like she has.

Maybe that is what I missed. I thought it was Joy doing the answering

9 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Interesting the comments about the dead sea photo, one does not have to go to "Israel" to get to the dead sea it also touches Jordan. Besides that, is that the most important detail of the story? Fair winds and following seas to those able to cruise.

I didn't realise it was accessible via Jordan. Learn something new👍. If the author had put a link to their travel blog could have seen if it was in Jordan. It is not that the detail is important but inconsistencies they say are a sign of faked articles that is why it stood out to me and made me question the article. Overall it is a pretty badly written article, could do with a little editing and tightening up. maybe it was just the poor quality that made me confused😆.

Would somebody please give Greg Hunt a reality pill!

Very few cruise lines, if any, will be able to get ships here by Christmas given it takes 2-3 months to bring them up to full operational status. All of the major lines have cancelled their itineraries through to March at least.

As much as we'd like to be cruising by Christmas it isn't going to happen.

Of course, then the government will blame the cruise lines for loss of tourist income in Australia.🙄😒

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Very few cruise lines, if any, will be able to get ships here by Christmas given it takes 2-3 months to bring them up to full operational status. All of the major lines have cancelled their itineraries through to March at least.

Julie,

You might find that Ponant, APT Cruises, Silverseas and probably other luxury cruise Companies who are lurking in the Pacific, can be here by Christmas. They hold  from 100 to 700 passengers and tho a bit exxy $$  they could be the first to get green lights - what do you think?

We cruised on Silver Shadow many years ago and they were wonderful. 

Edit - scratch Silversea, first date is ‘23. 🙄

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Julie,

You might find that Ponant, APT Cruises, Silverseas and probably other luxury cruise Companies who are lurking in the Pacific, can be here by Christmas. They hold  from 100 to 700 passengers and tho a bit exxy $$  they could be the first to get green lights - what do you think?

We cruised on Silver Shadow many years ago and they were wonderful. 

It's possible. Silversea was planning on being here in December so might be already up to full operational status. Edit - her first scheduled cruise was Cairns - Brisbane - Sydney 21st Dec but I think that one was cancelled. New itineraries could easily be announced though.

Not sure what others are lurking around. 

I just remembered Royal Princess is o n her way to Singapore, due there 1st December. Again, if she's already up to fully operational status she could get down here in time.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ