Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

14 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Someone said there’s bad weather heading towards Seattle.

Ovation could take shelter behind a island but a ice storm is something a cruise ship isn’t built for.

I had a look on the Weather Channel and there didn't seem to be anything nasty predicted.

APT website is still showing Caledonian Sky doing 4 cruises from Melbourne this year.  She has 2 at the end of this month and another 2 (Xmas and New Year).  They are all 4 nights long visiting Victorian ports only.  

The first one is due to depart Sunday 21st Nov so I may just wander down to Port Melbourne to see if she comes in.

Very small ship with I think around 50 cabins.  Wouldn't like to be on her if Bass Strait plays up.  Bit out of my price range but ...... could be tempted.   Pre sail testing with Sonic Healthcare and testing while onboard.  Must be vaccinated.  Masks will apply if social distancing is not available but only if that is the rule on land.  Melbourne is due to drop masks indoors when reaching 90% vaccination except in high risk places (whatever that means).

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I had a look on the Weather Channel and there didn't seem to be anything nasty predicted.

We have quite a lot of rain happening Julie (Seattle is about 100 miles south of here). Puget sound is quite sheltered but there really aren't any islands along the Pacific coast of Oregon or Washington states and Vancouver Island is the biggest Island on the west coast of the Americas. Ice storms at sea are pretty much unheard of here.

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

We have quite a lot of rain happening Julie (Seattle is about 100 miles south of here). Puget sound is quite sheltered but there really aren't any islands along the Pacific coast of Oregon or Washington states and Vancouver Island is the biggest Island on the west coast of the Americas. Ice storms at sea are pretty much unheard of here.

The rain radar showed rain at the light to moderate end of the scale which cruise ships should be able to handle with ease.

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

The rain radar showed rain at the light to moderate end of the scale which cruise ships should be able to handle with ease.

I agree Julie, it was heavy rain earlier today (we were driving in it) not pleasant. My real time visual weather report is light winds with moderate to heavy rain.🙂

3 hours ago, Ondine said:

APT website is still showing Caledonian Sky doing 4 cruises from Melbourne this year.  She has 2 at the end of this month and another 2 (Xmas and New Year).  They are all 4 nights long visiting Victorian ports only.  

The first one is due to depart Sunday 21st Nov so I may just wander down to Port Melbourne to see if she comes in.

Very small ship with I think around 50 cabins.  Wouldn't like to be on her if Bass Strait plays up.  Bit out of my price range but ...... could be tempted.   Pre sail testing with Sonic Healthcare and testing while onboard.  Must be vaccinated.  Masks will apply if social distancing is not available but only if that is the rule on land.  Melbourne is due to drop masks indoors when reaching 90% vaccination except in high risk places (whatever that means).

The provisional cruise ship schedule for Station Pier is not showing any of the Caledonian Sky cruises. It's not showing any cruises for the remainder this year and just six from January to March.

Station Pier Provisional Cruise Ship Schedule

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

The provisional cruise ship schedule for Station Pier is not showing any of the Caledonian Sky cruises. It's not showing any cruises for the remainder this year and just six from January to March.

Station Pier Provisional Cruise Ship Schedule

Is the port entry for Royal Princess on 16February an old entry that has not been removed or a new one.

I am asking as the Royal Princess is currently on its way to Singapore according to marine traffic /cruisemapper.

56 minutes ago, woodscruise said:

Is the port entry for Royal Princess on 16February an old entry that has not been removed or a new one.

I am asking as the Royal Princess is currently on its way to Singapore according to marine traffic /cruisemapper.

I think it is possibly an old entry. I can't remember if RP was originally on the schedule or not. It just maybe Princess have booked a space at Station Pier just in case and put RP in as the ship.

4 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I think it is possibly an old entry. I can't remember if RP was originally on the schedule or not. It just maybe Princess have booked a space at Station Pier just in case and put RP in as the ship.

It's an old entry RP was due to do a 7 night cruise from Sydney on 11 Feb calling into Melbourne on 16 Feb.

• Like 1

Hi Leigh

thanks for that link.   It still shows our Coral Geographer on 1st March from Melbourne.   Ofcourse it depends if McGowan lets us in as we come from Melbourne.

we are from Ringwood North.   Which area are you from , if you don’t mind me asking ?

Eileen 

From earlier today:

GREG HUNT: Sure. So, under the Biosecurity Act, we currently have four determinations for outbound travellers, for inbound travellers, for cruise ships, and for retail.

I have now revoked the duty free, or international airport retail order. So, as of today, duty free is back on. So, that biosecurity determination order has been repealed.

The next one that we’re reviewing is cruise ships. We are working with the states and territories and the chief health officers. You need a double green light to restart the cruise ship industry, and that is a Commonwealth order, which is lifted.

We’re reviewing that right now, precisely on the basis of the 90 per cent plus first vaccination rate and the 83 per cent second vaccination rate. And so, I expect to be able to make a decision on cruise ships in the coming weeks once we’ve got the medical information but it will require at least one state or territory to partner on that.

But we’re working with a number of states and territories, we’ll let them make their own considerations. But, we would like to see cruising back on before Christmas.

3 hours ago, ollyoeno said:

From earlier today:

GREG HUNT: Sure. So, under the Biosecurity Act, we currently have four determinations for outbound travellers, for inbound travellers, for cruise ships, and for retail.

I have now revoked the duty free, or international airport retail order. So, as of today, duty free is back on. So, that biosecurity determination order has been repealed.

The next one that we’re reviewing is cruise ships. We are working with the states and territories and the chief health officers. You need a double green light to restart the cruise ship industry, and that is a Commonwealth order, which is lifted.

We’re reviewing that right now, precisely on the basis of the 90 per cent plus first vaccination rate and the 83 per cent second vaccination rate. And so, I expect to be able to make a decision on cruise ships in the coming weeks once we’ve got the medical information but it will require at least one state or territory to partner on that.

But we’re working with a number of states and territories, we’ll let them make their own considerations. But, we would like to see cruising back on before Christmas.

Yeah Right. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Cruisers47 said:

Hi Leigh

thanks for that link.   It still shows our Coral Geographer on 1st March from Melbourne.   Ofcourse it depends if McGowan lets us in as we come from Melbourne.

we are from Ringwood North.   Which area are you from , if you don’t mind me asking ?

Eileen 

Hi Eileen, hopefully your cruise will go ahead. We live in in Carrum, along the bay. My sister lived in Mitcham for many years, so not too far from you.