Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

57 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Just curious - do you live in Aus, if not where?

I put ollyoeno on ignore a while ago. From something they said before they live elsewhere and just want to try and impose their values on us from outside with no recent understanding of what the majority Australians are thinking.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

UK virus stats yesterday, 50,000 new cases and 150 deaths. Place needs a total lockdown for 6 months. The Brits and their government have their heads stuck in the sand.  Over 10 million cases so far in UK, what's that, 1 in 7 ? 

Edited by NSWP

Am I missing something here? Why would someone who doesn't live here be writing to Aust Gov ministers? Happy to be enlightened but I would think unless you actually live here a person would not have a high level of understanding of the actual situation.

Personally, Europe or the UK are not places I want to be right now even though cruises are happening there.

Edited by Aussieflyer
  • Like 1

Omicron has arrived in Sydney. Two passengers who arrived on Saturday from southern Africa have tested positive to that strain. Let's hope it doesn't escape from the medihotel they are in. They were both fully vaccinated.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

17 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Omicron has arrived in Sydney. Two passengers who arrived on Saturday from southern Africa have tested positive to that strain. Let's hope it doesn't escape from the medihotel they are in. They were both fully vaccinated.

Interestingly non symptomatic although both fully vaxxed. Whilst it might be contagious it may not be any more deadly than Delta.

7 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Hoping it is less contagious, and less deadly.

I'm with you Mic and would add not resistant to the vaccine would be good too. I'm not paying much attention to whether we have it here yet, I haven't watched the news for a couple days (one more uninformed individual) 🤔

1 hour ago, Aussieflyer said:

Interestingly non symptomatic although both fully vaxxed. Whilst it might be contagious it may not be any more deadly than Delta.

I got the impression somewhere that fully vaccinated people are more likely to be asymptomatic, presumably because the vaccine is working to some degree. 

Yes, there isn't enough known yet as to how contagious it is, how deadly it is, and how it reacts in vaccinated people.

I think we've still got a long way to go before this virus is tamed but hopefully Omicron and any future strains will be liveable with just like the flu strains.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

UK virus stats yesterday, 50,000 new cases and 150 deaths. Place needs a total lockdown for 6 months. The Brits and their government have their heads stuck in the sand.  Over 10 million cases so far in UK, what's that, 1 in 7 ? 

Is there a sad emoji reaction? Pity. 

Brother is in Ireland and the only cousins of DH in Eng and Scot. Sadly both cousins (spouses on the same day)  had deaths last year (not from COVID but it was a horror 6 weeks where w lost them plus a young nephew and my mum) but still not comfortable to visit yet. Without COVID restrictions we would have gone to see the cousins and their spouses to say goodbye. 

Edited by Aussieflyer

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Kiwi, I’m fairly confident it will be contained in the medihotel, the problem will be the other 200 odd passengers exposed to it, that may not follow the stay at home order.

We struggle explaining to covid positive households, that no they cant go to the shops, or take their kids to the park etc. some people really dont understand (or chose to ignore) the consequences of ignoring the Public health order.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

Kiwi, I’m fairly confident it will be contained in the medihotel, the problem will be the other 200 odd passengers exposed to it, that may not follow the stay at home order.

We struggle explaining to covid positive households, that no they cant go to the shops, or take their kids to the park etc. some people really dont understand (or chose to ignore) the consequences of ignoring the Public health order.

I agree, the other passengers are the issue and there are bound to be some of those who think the isolation rules don't apply to them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Except if you do catch it after being fully vaccinated in most cases it's very mild and recovery is quick, assuming you don't have other health issues.

There isn't enough known about the Omicron variant yet but the experts will be keeping a very close watch on it. I wouldn't be surprised to hear the vaccine manufacturers were already planning on how to tackle it.

Just make sure you follow Covid-safe advice - ie wear masks, avoid crowded places especially where masks aren't being worn, and wash and sanitize hands often. 

Its not safe unless you catch the new virus. I mean this thing is like flue, it mutates every time. I got used to catching flue at least once a year, but catching covid every year or even every season can be very and very dangerous. Even though I am quite a young person I am still afraid as a friend of mine 36 years old just died of Covid.. 

5 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Its not safe unless you catch the new virus. I mean this thing is like flue, it mutates every time. I got used to catching flue at least once a year, but catching covid every year or even every season can be very and very dangerous. Even though I am quite a young person I am still afraid as a friend of mine 36 years old just died of Covid.. 

That's very sad. However I think Covid has made more people aware of how easy it is to catch viruses and hopefully those people are more aware of what they need to do to avoid getting ill. If you were indeed catching flu at least once a year then you probably weren't being careful enough. Did you get vaccinated every year against flu? If so it seems strange that you were so susceptible to it - assuming it was the flu each time and not the common cold.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Aussieflyer said:

I was wondering. If they were asymptomatic how was it detected? Did they have to do a test before flying and/or was there a "rapid" on arrival.

From an interview on TV this morning it was mentioned this variant does not display the usual symptoms, Hmm. A bit more info is needed and coming soon I hope.

13 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I was wondering. If they were asymptomatic how was it detected? Did they have to do a test before flying and/or was there a "rapid" on arrival.

From an interview on TV this morning it was mentioned this variant does not display the usual symptoms, Hmm. A bit more info is needed and coming soon I hope.

This from NSW Health on Sunday - tested at airport on arrival. Would assume they are “asymptomatic” as in - they weren’t sick 🤔

OMICRON VARIANT CONFIRMED IN NSW CASES
NSW Health can confirm urgent genomic testing undertaken today shows two overseas travellers have been infected with the new Omicron B.1.1.529 COVID-19 variant of concern.
Both passengers came to Sydney from southern Africa on the evening of Saturday November 27. They underwent testing on arrival and tested positive for COVID-19 late last night.
The two positive cases, who were asymptomatic, are in isolation in the Special Health Accommodation. Both people are fully vaccinated.

11 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Your comment about catching the flu every year is incredible. I am in my 70s and have had the flu only twice - the Hong Kong flu in the early 1970s and swine flu around 30 years later.

I wonder whether the viruses you caught were only a bad cold and not the flu.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Your comment about catching the flu every year is incredible. I am in my 70s and have had the flu only twice - the Hong Kong flu in the early 1970s and swine flu around 30 years later.

I wonder whether the viruses you caught were only a bad cold and not the flu.

Yep, colds can be very bebilitating and long lasting. A friend of mine is still getting over one ATM, she's had it for two weeks (courtesy of  2.5 year old grand daughter who picked it up at swimming classes). BTW common cold is a type of coronavirus.

Edited by lyndarra

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Even booking interstate travel is risky, have had to cancel/ postpone numerous interstate trips already, and unfortunately I don't think it will be the only ones.

Same here I’m an expert now at cancelling flights, hotels and taxis.

To answer the first post here I am sorry to predict there will be no cruising from Australia until early 2023.

Hope I am wrong.

Cheers Carole

1 hour ago, Elorac123 said:

To answer the first post here I am sorry to predict there will be no cruising from Australia until early 2023.

Hope I am wrong.

Cheers Carole

I hope you are wrong too - for P&O Aus’s sake if no other reason - because they only cruise from here 🥺

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elorac123 said:

Hope I am wrong.

Cheers Carole

Agree.