Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

We can't do much about our own Government - but we can control our own paranoia if we apply a bit of perspective to our situation. In 2018, 30860 deaths were registered in Qld. In 2019, 5 people PER WEEK died from Influenza during the flu season. So far this year, 71 people have died on Qld roads!
-- and a total of 6 people have had their deaths "attributed" to coronavirus since Jan 1 this year . So make sure you wash your hands and stay away from sick people - the flu season is upon us now and the impatient morons who want to get to where they are going by yesterday have returned to our roads in force!!!!! Personally at age 73, I have little fear of contracting coronavirus.

• Like 1

The main issues with Covid-19 are that it is more virulent than influenza and that people who get it can be asymptomatic or have symptoms do mild they don't realise they have it. That's why it is so important to control the spread of it. 

15 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

The headline is misleading though. The article actually states that overseas travel won't return to normal until 2023, not that it won't return at all. Actually I hope it never returns to the old normal in some ways, where major sights were totally swamped with tourists to the point where visiting them became unpleasant.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

The headline doesn't represent what the person was stating. They expected 50% recovery by end of 2020 which I was quite pleased with if that's the case. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pushka said:

Where it needs to be. With the expert epidemiologists and immunologists. Head of Swiss Infectious diseases. 

I will take your inability or refusal in providing a link as fake news. The sources I provided are impeccable.

3 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

They certainly recognise the economic value that it offers, even now.

They recognise the health benefits of not having CV-19 even more.  The South Pacific island nations have very limited health resources, and they're desperate to keep CV-19 out of their countries - even more so than Aus & NZ.

Yet Eden was lamenting the loss of the cruise ships due to the millions of dollars injected into their economy each season.

300 children (<20), have had Covid 19 in Australia, 81 of which were under 10. Thankfully no deaths.

I hardly think that that means it is safe, just safer than those that are older.

Also note that while schools have mainly stayed open, attendance (for the first term after mid march) at these have been less than 50% due to people keeping their children home and schooling them there.

Just a totally different track regarding dates - we decided to cancel our October ‘20 cruise, from Southampton to Singapore on Regal Princess This was a 38 day sector of a 56 day Southampton to Sydney ‘Exploration Cruise’ Princess called it. There are other sectors - Sthmptn to Dubai, Rome to Sydney, Singapore to Sydney - probably more can’t remember them all.

Anyway, we cancelled because 1) We couldn’t see flying to Southampton by October  & 2) We couldn’t see flying home from Singapore again, or IF Singapore will be allowing cruise ships by November  😳

Princess is still selling rooms for at least three sectors according to our Roll Call 🤷‍♀️
Mean while Princess has sent emails out stating that the Southampton to Sydney 56 day cruise is cancelled??
Just glad we cancelled a few weeks ago 🤔 what do you guys think? The Roll Call members just being “extremely optimistic” 🤪

Edited by Porky55

5 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Just a totally different track regarding dates - we decided to cancel our October ‘20 cruise, from Southampton to Singapore on Regal Princess This was a 38 day sector of a 56 day Southampton to Sydney ‘Exploration Cruise’ Princess called it. There are other sectors - Sthmptn to Dubai, Rome to Sydney, Singapore to Sydney - probably more can’t remember them all.

Anyway, we cancelled because 1) We couldn’t see flying to Southampton by October  & 2) We couldn’t see flying home from Singapore again, or IF Singapore will be allowing cruise ships by November  😳

Princess is still selling rooms for at least three sectors according to our Roll Call 🤷‍♀️
Mean while Princess has sent emails out stating that the Southampton to Sydney 56 day cruise is cancelled??
Just glad we cancelled a few weeks ago 🤔 what do you guys think? The Roll Call members just being “extremely optimistic” 🤪

Great decision. No way that cruise or flights are going to ahead. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Iainmac said:

The port companies charge mainly on the number of passengers.  Smaller cruise ships can pay around $30,000 and the big ones much more.  With popular ports getting thirty plus cruise ship visits in a season this amounts to millions in their books.  It is also a good income for smaller ports with only a handful of cruise ship visits.

That argument only works if the locals are seeing benefits from that money otherwise it just becomes another annoyance (i.e if were getting all that money where is it going?) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Just glad we cancelled a few weeks ago 🤔 what do you guys think? The Roll Call members just being “extremely optimistic” 

There is a fine line between optimism and delusion😜. I don't think there will be any world style cruise any time soon. Too much of a risk of regional lock downs and then it is a logistical nightmare getting people home. The first cruises will be short and localised IMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

It is only this week that some children have returned to school in the Netherlands. Families have been in lockdown so any data is not really accurate. It also says that because Covid 19 is so new research will have to continue on how it affects children. It seems as though there is new research every other day on its effects on children. 

Leigh

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pushka said:

It has been a long standing agreement over many years and not a spontaneous ‘wish’ thing. 

I'm well aware of that. It doesn't mean they have freedom to visit whenever they feel like. 

Just like there's a longstanding agreement for cruise ships to visit as needed.

12 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

Yes... but the perceived value of cruising is zero, and the perceived risk is very high.

Funny then, if that's the case, that so many shell out so many thousands of dollars for a perceived value of 0. 

Basically, that's tosh. The same as football is done for the revenue, so is cruising.

10 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The main issues with Covid-19 are that it is more virulent than influenza and that people who get it can be asymptomatic or have symptoms do mild they don't realise they have it. That's why it is so important to control the spread of it. 

And that no vaccine is available, unlike for influenza (as a means of protection for those in high risk categories).

6 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

I'm well aware of that. It doesn't mean they have freedom to visit whenever they feel like. 

Just like there's a longstanding agreement for cruise ships to visit as needed.

I can't and never will, equate a preference for a cruising holiday over strategic Defence alliances with our allies. 

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

I can't and never will, equate a preference for a cruising holiday over strategic Defence alliances with our allies. 

I am not asking you too. 

I was just stating that the need for further US troops here was not essential. There were already troops here, it was business as usual. Exceptions were made for non essential travel as they were made for the rugby league players and likely to be made for many other things as well.

After seeing how the "leader" of the United States has treated all his "Allies" I don't really understand why it is suddenly okay to bring in a Battalion of Troops from the land of the worlds largest outbreak of Covid 19. It's not really my place to say, but if the United States have treated the members of SEATO like they have the members of NATO then why would Australia let these troops in.

I don't think anyone is equating cruise holidays to defense. What people are saying is why is bringing in Foreign troops from the worlds largest outbreak okay; but Australian citizens can't go out for dinner at a sit down restaurant. Is Australia under threat of attack?

Doing stupid things in the name of "National Security" is the trademark of the US administration, I wasn't aware that it had rubbed off on Australia.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 1

Sadly the stoush we are having with China at the moment is directly attributed to towing the US rhetoric. Trump spoke with Morrison and next thing you know, Australia makes threats to China, now China are stopping some of our exports.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I don't think anyone is equating cruise holidays to defense. What people are saying is why is bringing in Foreign troops from the worlds largest outbreak okay

A friend of mine who lives in Florida posted on FB about her concern over the number of asymptomatic people who are testing positive to Covid-19.

So our government is going to let 2500 US troops into the NT. I hope they all have to have tests done prior to their departure from the US and after arrival in Australia, as well as quarantine. 

It just seems senseless to me. 

• Like 1