P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

43 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

There were quite a few rejects which my husband willingly ate.  Mary Berry allows 3 buns per person but my lot would wonder where the rest were so I'm doing a dessert for 12- for 6 of us 😬

This is what I'm aiming for.. what the reality turns out to be remains to be seen!

7916fe5d45409c2f325624f84592fb86--gbbo-recipes-recipies.jpg

Absolutely fantastic and I would eat most of it 😋😋 hope it works ok for you , it’s one thing that I have never attempted choux pastry but love profiteroles 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

He’s annoying, yes - but he knows his food. I can tolerate him for his expertise. Delia’s recipes, my wife tells me, always work. 

But then so does my own ‘Special Mix’ recipe for hungry families and lazy husbands:

One tin oxtail soup

One tin minced beef

One tin baked beans

Mix together in bowl and microwave on medium high till hot.

Pudding:

As above - just add one tin custard.

make some instant mash to stir it into 🤤

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Recently been watching some old Floyd programs, the best ever TV Chef I M O.

Loved Floyd, especially because he showed us that good cooking needs us to have a large wine glass that we can take a "quick slurp" from. 🍷🍷

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pete14 said:

We are close to what I believe is the highest point in the city of Stoke (Goldenhill - not as nice as it may sound). When the wind from the North blows down through the Cheshire gap, we get an otherwise unobstructed blast.🤨

We are in Lightwood and look out over Cocknage but there is nothing to block the icy blasts, it never fails to surprise me how Longton can be 2 or 3 degrees warmer than where we are.

I have only ventured to Goldenhill when we have played bowling matches there.  It has a very interesting green as in excellent for home players but not for away teams, I have only ever won 2 games there.

37 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I want to defend Jamie Oliver a bit. 

I know he is annoying but he is a man's chef.. 

By that, I mean his recipes are easy to follow and portion size is relevant, without having to look like a work of art.. 

I will often dig out a Jamie recipe for my odd forays into the kitchen, especially at Christmas.. 

Andy 

He’s also had quite some training in what he does, and he really knows what he’s talking about. I can cope with the constantly repeated cliches for that.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I don’t really remember Fanny Craddock (altho seen some wonderful black and white programmes of her)  but I do remember watching Graham Kerr the “Galloping Gourmet  last century! 

She fell out of favour somewhat after an appallingly rude, condescending put down of a woman from the West Country named Gwen Troake. And quite right too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pete14 said:

We are close to what I believe is the highest point in the city of Stoke (Goldenhill - not as nice as it may sound). When the wind from the North blows down through the Cheshire gap, we get an otherwise unobstructed blast.🤨

Well it is grim and miserable here today. Feels like every weekend is the same - like Groundhog Day at the moment. now don't shoot me, but it would be nice to have some snow as it always makes everywhere looks so pretty. Even Goldenhill 😉

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

She fell out of favour somewhat after an appallingly rude, condescending put down of a woman from the West Country named Gwen Troake. And quite right too.

And, from memory, she lived on one of the Channel Islands and was appallingly rude to local shopkeepers. An appalling woman, but entertaining viewing.

Any of the other ladies on here rather like Rick Stein? Never tried his recipes, but he's got a brain and a lovely voice. Not that I'm influenced by either of these things, of course.🤞

Edited by AnnieC

Talking celebrity chefs, our favourite is probably James Martin. Our first cruise was on Ocean Village 2 and his name was linked to the speciality restaurant (think it was called Le Bistro). It was and remains the best speciality dining experience we have ever been in on any ship. The whole experience was excellent and our one regret was that we didn't pay to eat there every night. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Talking celebrity chefs, our favourite is probably James Martin. Our first cruise was on Ocean Village 2 and his name was linked to the speciality restaurant (think it was called Le Bistro). It was and remains the best speciality dining experience we have ever been in on any ship. The whole experience was excellent and our one regret was that we didn't pay to eat there every night. 

And we mustn't forget the Gary Rhodes speciality restaurant on Arcadia (can't remember if there was likewise on the other ships) - superb. Like you, we regretted not booking every night and by the time we decided to do just that the man himself had hopped on board and thereafter it was fully booked. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

And, from memory, she lived on one of the Channel Islands and was appallingly rude to local shopkeepers. An appalling woman, but entertaining viewing.

Any of the other ladies on here rather like Rick Stein? Never tried his recipes, but he's got a brain and a lovely voice. Not that I'm influenced by either of these things, of course.🤞

Oh yes, Rick Stein does indeed have a lovely voice. I also used to like his dog Chalky who was a real character.....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

It is the 'Boaty McBoatface' effect, never let the public vote on anything like that unless you want to get stupid results.

It’s quite likely you are referring to me, if not personally 😄. I’m one of the ones who likes to watch those who come on Strictly already good, but doesn’t vote for them, but did vote for John Sergeant, Ann Widdecombe, Nancy Del Whatsit etc for the sheer entertainment value!

I don’t much care who is voted off this week so long as it’s not Ranvir 🤞

• Like 4

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Jamie is a cocky sod but he knows his stuff and he's married to my mates cousin, And he's from Essex.Delia admitted she didn't cook and pinched other peoples recipes.

Some of the nicest meals we have had were in 15 and the money we spent was doing some good. His Italian was ok, but a bit over priced. Better Italian restaurants around. I quite enjoy his programs. Has anyone watched Pioneer woman on the food Channel ?. Ree Drummond films it from her family's small ranch in Oklahoma. 430,000 acres.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We always had a few meals in The Bistro on OV1&2. One evening he came around chatting to the guests. I still have the photo of DW and James Martin somewhere, but it does seem to be DW's screen background from time to time.🤔

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

And we mustn't forget the Gary Rhodes speciality restaurant on Arcadia (can't remember if there was likewise on the other ships) - superb. Like you, we regretted not booking every night and by the time we decided to do just that the man himself had hopped on board and thereafter it was fully booked. 

There used to be a Gary Rhodes themed restaurant on Oriana.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Yep ,good Yorkshire chef ,does a very nice Cauliflower soup, very easy to make ..

Milk a bit of Cauli and a pinch of curry powder, easy but don't let it boil over !

Also to puree use a blender but only if you know how one works ....

When serving the soup avoid leaving skid marks :classic_wacko: and keep calm at  all times .

James will now demonstrate .... :classic_unsure:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I have a photo of me and him when I was onboard Britannia a few years ago.He was just signing books (and serviettes!) for 1 day and when I saw the queues I decided not to bother.However towards the end of the day as I had finished a Zumba class I noticed that the queue was very short so joinedI have a photo of me looking very dis shevelled and sweaty and him looking(probably) as if he had done enough autographs for the day

• Like 2

I have always found Delia's recipes work very well; generally fairly simple and easy.  I too find Rick Stein and James Martin personable and enjoyable to see on TV, and glad to hear I am not the only person who finds Jamie to be a 'smuggins' with a slappable face!  Nigella is really a joke, though she is certainly very lovely to look at (no doubt has had a lot of help in that  department).

I think I can remember Fanny Cradock putting down that poor woman about her bramble sauce with duck; she was an appalling old snob.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Now he WAS a good chef. No fuss, no frills, just a truly great chef with the skill to communicate a love of food. Rather like Raymond Blanc. 

Worked wonders at the Castle Hotel in Taunton, and still much loved by local people there.

• Like 1

I like many chefs and have many cook books , had a fantastic meal in Gordon Ramsay restaurant in London and was spoiled and taken in the back kitchen with Angela Hartnett , my favourite cook with reliable recipes is Delia Smith and I know a few people don’t like Jamie Oliver but his 30 mins meals with 3 or 4 ingredients is a winner and his ideas of knocking up something from nothing is brilliant, not too keen on Rick Stein been to his restaurant too in Cornwall and was not impressed. 
I like to learn all different types of cooking and experiment too

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Oh yes, Rick Stein does indeed have a lovely voice. I also used to like his dog Chalky who was a real character.....

We stayed at a hotel in Padstow a while back, overlooking his places. More than a little surprised to see a Brakes van making deliveries!  That, plus the exorbitant prices, ensured we ate in the hotel.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

I like many chefs and have many cook books , had a fantastic meal in Gordon Ramsay restaurant in London and was spoiled and taken in the back kitchen with Angela Hartnett , my favourite cook with reliable recipes is Delia Smith and I know a few people don’t like Jamie Oliver but his 30 mins meals with 3 or 4 ingredients is a winner and his ideas of knocking up something from nothing is brilliant, not too keen on Rick Stein been to his restaurant too in Cornwall and was not impressed. 
I like to learn all different types of cooking and experiment too

With you on Rick Stein. Very much a money man ahead of anything else. The food is almost a by-product.

• Like 1