P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

We voluntarily locked down on 15th December, to avoid Christmas crowds in the shops and pending further mitigating precautions from the government.

Well, Christmas is over and it looks as if the government isn't going to mandate any more protections, so we've decided we'll have to come out of our temporary Omicron bunker. We went out early for a coffee. Everywhere was very quiet and it was nice to be out in a public area.  But infections are sky high round here at the moment, so I think we will still keep a generally low profile for the time being

• Like 6

Been a chilly day here with a strong northerly breeze, the snow overnight melted by lunchtime, temperature now sitting at -2C, gritting lorry went past with its orange lights flashing about an hour ago.

Took decorations down today, place looks odd after 4 weeks, I am sure we will get used to it in a few days. Waiting for delivery of 2 new storage boxes to replace the ones we have been using for the last 12 years, which have cracked as they became brittle, guess being “cooked” in the loft every summer takes its toll. 

Pack of LFTs arrived today, nasal swab only variety so gag free.

Spent some of yesterday sorting photos on my PC, identifying duplicates and deleting them, got back almost 4gb of storage and still more to come, doing this as I intend to replace PC this year as it’s over 7 years old, so a bit of tidying up in order in preparation.

Trip to the recycling centre tomorrow or Friday to dump numerous cardboard boxes which are too big for recycling bag, plus a number of other items which are now passed their useful life, a few items will be put on our local sales FB page.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2022 at 6:26 PM, Satellite city said:

Still loads of festive left overs here, long dates so no rush 😂

Noth much left for us. Christmas pud, Lemon torte and after eights. Some curry paste left to mix into the mess.🤣

• Like 1

Good morning hope everyone's OK :classic_smile:

We have a bright sunny morning but-1.c with a -5c chill .Today is the day the beef stew

that has been cooking the best part of yesterday in the slow cooker will be dished up

with Yorkshire pud's :classic_love: I know some will be saying "where's the dumplings ?" but due 

to my medical conditions I do have to be careful what I eat and I love the puds anyway .

We will have the same meal tomorrow cos for some reason they taste even better when 

they are a day older . Whatever meals your having in this cool weather I hope you enjoy

them . Stay safe ,stay warm and be happy guys .:classic_love::classic_smile:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Morning everyone.

Dull and windy down here, but slightly warmer than yesterday. It's dry at present but rain is forecast.

Off to get my hair cut this morning then a trip to get some currency for our cruise next weekend, hopefully I won't get too wet - the rain has arrived!!

Enjoy your day.

Take care and stay safe.

Pam

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, purplesea said:

for our cruise next weekend,!

Careful, before you know it cerain parties will be along to tell you how irresponsible  you are, and how you should be staying at home with a blanket over your head !

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, kalos said:

I know some will be saying "where's the dumplings ?" but due 

to my medical conditions I do have to be careful what I eat.

I make dumplings with olive oil instead of suet, as recommended by bro (Brian) Healthy, light and very tasty😋

Avril

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, kalos said:

I know some will be saying "where's the dumplings ?" but due 

to my medical conditions I do have to be careful what I eat and I love the puds anyway .

You and me both Kalos.  I have quite a big appetite and used to just eat what I fancied at the time.  I don't beat myself up about it but have decided to keep a bit of a watch on diet.  When I'm watching what I eat weight comes off quickly.    If I have been good then its fish and chips or chinese once a fortnight  or my absolute favourite Pizza Express. 😂

Due to December cruise and Christmas I am quite a few kilos over.    If I cut down (not cut out, cakes and other heavy foods I get used to it in a few days.

Edited to say "so do I Avril".  I think I saw it on here a while ago.  Very good they are too.

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It started off bright and sunny here, but it's now clouding over, my phone says its 2 deg in Huddersfield, but it feels colder inside than yesterday. I think it's going to be chilli for lunch, which seems rather appropriate.

-2oC in our end of Huddersfield when we got back from our walk, it is now clouding over so may warm up a bit before the snow arrives. The gritters are out and about, take care.

• Like 1

Cold here and my day 16 cold is now on my chest where it normally ends up for weeks. I would have failed the health questionnaire for the Iona cruise anyway. Too cold to sit in the conservatory but being 'entertained' by next doors new kitchen being installed. No walk today though, just read a book

7 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

It must be cold even our postman has long trousers on this morning instead of his usual shorts. 🙂

The day after they retire their knees will seize up. Same with texting, when you wake up on your 60th birthday your thumbs will go stiff.  Not sure that i have convinced the young ladies in Costa though 😁

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I make dumplings with olive oil instead of suet, as recommended by bro (Brian) Healthy, light and very tasty😋

Avril

That sounds well worth a try, Avril (and Brian).  Mini-dumplings planned for lunch, with a meaty soup - my resident chef says she’ll give it a go.

Not going to help with the few pounds acquired since mid-December, but back on our version of the reliable old 5/2 diet again now, and it never fails.  Eat perfectly normally, apart from every fourth day, when it’s strictly 800 calories only.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

It must be cold even our postman has long trousers on this morning instead of his usual shorts. 🙂

All our posties wear shorts as well as do the delivery drivers. Mad in the current bitter cold weather.

Really cold here and snow due later in the day. I will be staying in the warm. Made bread, a large pot of lentil soup for lunch and have a cassoulet prepared for dinner. It’s the kind of day for a warm fire and a good book once the chores are done.

Stay safe on the ice and snow everyone, no one wants a trip to A&E right now.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Cold here and my day 16 cold is now on my chest where it normally ends up for weeks. I would have failed the health questionnaire for the Iona cruise anyway. Too cold to sit in the conservatory but being 'entertained' by next doors new kitchen being installed. No walk today though, just read a book

I hope you feel better soon!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This morning at 06.05 am our Morrisson's delivery driver greeted us with a cheery 

"Morning ,it's perishing this morning innit ? " stood there in his shorts !

I wonder if his legs were aware of this ? :classic_unsure: 

• Haha 6

Set off to grocery shop and hospital appointment at 3pm.  Started snowing, getting heavier so change of plans, shopping locally and cancelled my appointment.  It's not something I would normally do but our village is hilly and when it snows and icy not good.  Stay safe and keep warm.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That sounds well worth a try, Avril (and Brian).  Mini-dumplings planned for lunch, with a meaty soup - my resident chef says she’ll give it a go.

Not going to help with the few pounds acquired since mid-December, but back on our version of the reliable old 5/2 diet again now, and it never fails.  Eat perfectly normally, apart from every fourth day, when it’s strictly 800 calories only.

I'd better give you the ingredients then Harry. 125g SR flour, 1tbsp olive oil, and water with a splash of milk. Then bake on the casserole or microwave. I spoon some gravy into a pyrex dish, put in the dumplings , put a lid on, and microwave them. Lovely soft fluffy dumplings.

Now I'm flippin' hungry🙄

Avril

• Like 4