P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Hello all, sorry to not be around and sorry I haven’t read every page I’ve missed on here.

Had some stress with my mum and dad. First they both caught covid, dad quite rough, mum not really any symptoms. Then just over a week ago my mum fell down the stairs. My Dad phoned the ambulance then me, he was crying 😢 So awful. The ambulance people said she seemed ok but they’d just take her to hospital to’ check her over’ and it was a week before she came home. As she had covid none of us were able to visit her but I went up to take her some bits including her phone so at least we could phone her. Getting information out of the hospital was nearly impossible and nearly every day they said “should be tomorrow’.

She hated the hospital food so hardly ate and my Dad hardly ate either. Anyway they had some viewings of their house today so they came here to keep out the way and we gave them a big dinner. They’re not good apart bless them.

• Like 24

5 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Hello all, sorry to not be around and sorry I haven’t read every page I’ve missed on here.

Had some stress with my mum and dad. First they both caught covid, dad quite rough, mum not really any symptoms. Then just over a week ago my mum fell down the stairs. My Dad phoned the ambulance then me, he was crying 😢 So awful. The ambulance people said she seemed ok but they’d just take her to hospital to’ check her over’ and it was a week before she came home. As she had covid none of us were able to visit her but I went up to take her some bits including her phone so at least we could phone her. Getting information out of the hospital was nearly impossible and nearly every day they said “should be tomorrow’.

She hated the hospital food so hardly ate and my Dad hardly ate either. Anyway they had some viewings of their house today so they came here to keep out the way and we gave them a big dinner. They’re not good apart bless them.

Oh dear Sue, bless em...

Just shows the turmoil Covid can still cause. 

Glad they are back together. 

Andy 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Oh dear Sue, bless em...

Just shows the turmoil Covid can still cause. 

Glad they are back together. 

Andy 

Thanks Andy, I’ve only got a 3 night and 4 night holiday booked this year and I’m already getting anxious about leaving them. I was close to running into the hospital and breaking my mum out 😆

• Like 4

On 3/3/2022 at 10:26 PM, grapau27 said:

Sending our best wishes to you both that they both have mild symptoms and recover quickly.

Graham.

Thank you Graham and everyone else who expressed their concern. After one day with a severe headache that kept him in bed, my youngest son is now on the mend and able to do some work from home this weekend. He is still testing positive but other than some cold symptoms he is OK and not lost his sense of smell or taste.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Thank you Graham and everyone else who expressed their concern. After one day with a severe headache that kept him in bed, my youngest son is now on the mend and able to do some work from home this weekend. He is still testing positive but other than some cold symptoms he is OK and not lost his sense of smell or taste.

Pleased to hear that news and it’s good that taste and smell are not affected.

This place looks a bit of a dump but I stayed here 52 years ago when I was 17.I was an athlete in those days winning AAA junior track 3000m,5 mile British junior road champion and junior team GB 10000m track in Germany.I came here to train in the mountains with my mate who lived here but he had no room in his pokey flat just outside Lugano.He arranged for me to stay here for 2 weeks half board.It's on top of a mountain so I used to go down 6 miles and up again most days.The old lady that owned it then charged me 30 quid half board for the 2 weeks1370122404_IMG_20220305_160919693157.thumb.jpg.27b67f3382b5f02edc3a2898a23726b7.jpg,mainly cos I took her dog for a walk every day.It's costing 120 quid b&b now for 1 night,lol.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, ccpm said:

Oh my goodness I wish I could do a real laugh. Even breathing in is rubbish. Plus note I no longer feel I am drowning. Downside "every breathe I take" hurts like hell. Just to cheer  me up (not) my friend is on the "for gawds sake you are a doctor how did you not recognise this". I have nothing to say in my defence. Actually I could but this episode has caused me to think very deep about being a possible emergency case etc. I am going to get with it but not now.

Emma

Great to see you are keeping positive. I got pneumonia on a Caribbean cruise. It cost me £1000, but I paid on my card and got 2000 airmiles and the insurance paid up ok. Result 🤣

11 minutes ago, brian1 said:

This place looks a bit of a dump but I stayed here 52 years ago when I was 17.I was an athlete in those days winning AAA junior track 3000m,5 mile British junior road champion and junior team GB 10000m track in Germany.I came here to train in the mountains with my mate who lived here but he had no room in his pokey flat just outside Lugano.He arranged for me to stay here for 2 weeks half board.It's on top of a mountain so I used to go down 6 miles and up again most days.The old lady that owned it then charged me 30 quid half board for the 2 weeks1370122404_IMG_20220305_160919693157.thumb.jpg.27b67f3382b5f02edc3a2898a23726b7.jpg,mainly cos I took her dog for a walk every day.It's costing 120 quid b&b now for 1 night,lol.

Looking forward to the photomenu this evening.

• Haha 1

Sue, I hope you are over the worse now, with your parents.  Hopefully they will be able to enjoy happy/healthy time together in a more convenient flat. New beginnings could give them a real boost

Emma - keep on keeping on.  You’re right about the health perils of being a ‘non-teenage’ singleton.  There are unobtrusive communication systems you could look into, even ones which shout out to your chosen recipient if you don’t move around as normal

It’s been a quiet day here.  Deceptively unpleasant, with a fearsome wind direct from the North Pole hidden in the blue sky and sunshine.

We’ve enjoyed the last of our Nonna Tonta Italian deliveries.  Worth a pic, I guess.  We might well subscribe for fortnightly or 3 weekly deliveries in due course.  Looks just like pasta, doesn’t it? 🙂 However, producing that with 5 minutes effort suits me fine

1C933CCB-9825-43EE-B933-7912FD282D18.thumb.jpeg.a9889aa4ef0180897a637252413157de.jpeg

• Like 9

Definitely must be Italian night - I had pizza too but not home made, a Tesco Finest! Been a thoroughly miserable day here today, very damp and dreary. Just went into the New Town to do some food shopping and had a 'Full English' for lunch in my favourite 'greasy spoon', run by a really lovely family of Albanians. Spent the afternoon being a couch potato watching sport on tv.

• Like 4

Snap!  Pizza night chez wowzz as well.

Lidl Sourdough pizza, cooked in our new Hoover (who knew?) oven on the pizza setting.

Despite the fancy settings, you still get slightly raw dough in places. Perhaps I should revert to the good old thin crust pizza ?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, zap99 said:

Looking forward to the photomenu this evening.

You're right Zap it wasn't worth taking.We had spag carbonara and tagliatelle with salmon with aperatif of voddies,coke and beer.120 CHF (100 QUID).That's why we normally drive straight thru Switzerland and stay in Italy.Even Como is cheaper.Next stop Orvieto,Umbria.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sue here is hoping that your Mum "escapes" soon.

The food here is fine but I just don't want it usually until I too discovered last night dinner was a pizza!

Sounds like last night was a Brian tribute menu all over the world!

A quiet calm and chilly day forecast for us.  Seaside this morning, no plans for later - might be seaside again.  Enjoy your day everyone and for those in recovery mode, just keep on recovering 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dull and very quiet down here, and cold at 5oC and not expected to get much warmer.

Hope everyone is keeping well and those that are poorly get better soon. 

Going to do some more baking this morning while  OH out, as we're having a suprise party for him in a couple of weeks, but other than that nothing really planned.

Enjoy your day.

• Like 1

Am I the only person who doesn't especially like pizzas?  Nice enough, and I have one now and again, but not my idea of a special meal.  For a takeaway type treat I much prefer our really good local Chinese, or a good Indian if there is one, and for going out for a cheapo, fish and chips where they are well done.

The sun is shining here at present, and the garden has had its deep tidying up, so now the baby narcissus around the magnolia stellata, in bud, look lovely.  It is a bit hard to be cheerful just at present, but I will get there, and a glass of wine and hug from my lovely neighbour yesterday helped.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, lincslady said:

Am I the only person who doesn't especially like pizzas

We will have the occasional one at home, but never when eating out. Just so boring  !

And how anybody can eat one without a large side salad is totally beyind me - just a carbohydrate overload.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We will have the occasional one at home, but never when eating out. Just so boring  !

And how anybody can eat one without a large side salad is totally beyind me - just a carbohydrate overload.

Surely there is as much carbohydrate in a pizza with a large side salad than in one without, unless the pizza with a large side salad is smaller. 
My vote also goes to a good Chinese, Indian or fresh fish and chips. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Am I the only person who doesn't especially like pizzas?  Nice enough, and I have one now and again, but not my idea of a special meal.  For a takeaway type treat I much prefer our really good local Chinese, or a good Indian if there is one, and for going out for a cheapo, fish and chips where they are well done.

The sun is shining here at present, and the garden has had its deep tidying up, so now the baby narcissus around the magnolia stellata, in bud, look lovely.  It is a bit hard to be cheerful just at present, but I will get there, and a glass of wine and hug from my lovely neighbour yesterday helped.

We have one now and again but it is usually if I have been to Sainsburys when the fresh pizza counter is open.  We do sometimes go to a very good pizzeria about 5 miles from home but like you we don't consider pizza to be a special meal.

We have had some fantastic pizzas when we have been on holiday in Italy, the best one I have ever had was in Stresa.

I detest Chinese food but enjoy a good Indian.

Edited by Josy1953

I am in the pizza lover brigade. Love the ones made in wood fired ovens, mine has to be spicy with plenty of topping, I also prefer thin crust but they shouldn't bend when you pick a slice up. When I eat pizza at home I always eat it by the slice yet when dining out usually use a knife and fork.

We are home from out 4 week self catering holiday to Puerto del Carmen in Lanzagrote. It was our first self catering and first land holiday of more than 2 weeks so a bit of an adventure. We have said for several years that we were going to give it a try but cruises always seemed to get in the way. We had good weather, we only had one day where it was not nice enough to sit by the pool, it got a bit hot in the afternoon and we did go down to the front where there was a breeze or go inside now and again. We took too many clothes as we were prepared for cool mornings and evenings, which we didn't need as it was warm enough for shorts and tee's. We stuck to our plan of eating out 2/3 times a week whether it be breakfast lunch or dinner. We will definitely be doing this again and planning 6 weeks in 2024 as we have cruises booked for Nov/Dec and March 2023. It is a bit of a shock to the system when we went out for a walk this morning as it is minus 20oC, however the sun is shining so we will muddle through.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I am in the pizza lover brigade. Love the ones made in wood fired ovens, mine has to be spicy with plenty of topping, I also prefer thin crust but they shouldn't bend when you pick a slice up. When I eat pizza at home I always eat it by the slice yet when dining out usually use a knife and fork.

We are home from out 4 week self catering holiday to Puerto del Carmen in Lanzagrote. It was our first self catering and first land holiday of more than 2 weeks so a bit of an adventure. We have said for several years that we were going to give it a try but cruises always seemed to get in the way. We had good weather, we only had one day where it was not nice enough to sit by the pool, it got a bit hot in the afternoon and we did go down to the front where there was a breeze or go inside now and again. We took too many clothes as we were prepared for cool mornings and evenings, which we didn't need as it was warm enough for shorts and tee's. We stuck to our plan of eating out 2/3 times a week whether it be breakfast lunch or dinner. We will definitely be doing this again and planning 6 weeks in 2024 as we have cruises booked for Nov/Dec and March 2023. It is a bit of a shock to the system when we went out for a walk this morning as it is minus 20oC, however the sun is shining so we will muddle through.

Glad you had a lovely holiday, I love Lanzarote.

Welcome back to the woolly hat, gloves and boots brigade - hopefully only for a short time though, prey for a nice warm Spring

Michelle

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, lincslady said:

My grandson who is 11 doesn’t like pizza. I just love pizza especially from Pizza Express. 

He likes the more adult stuff like steak. He had lobster on a cruise when he was younger and loved it. We are cruising with Royal next year so we are going to take him to Wonderland for a meal, think he will just love it 

Michelle

• Like 1