P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

6 hours ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning All and Good Morning 2023

Well I hope those who celebrated had a great New Year's Eve, those who didn't had a good sleep, and to those for whom New Year is a sad and lonely time - I'm thinking of you.

Here I am posting at nearly 3am because I'm wide awake.

Firstly, I never go out on NYE because Teddy (my dog) gets very frightened by the fireworks. All was well until 9pm-ish when the first lot of explosives went off and that went on until around 1am. Thankfully, after a lot of shaking and being terrified, Ted is now sleeping peacefully and snoring loudly.

Secondly, my near neighbours had a fairly noisy party which almost drowned out the fireworks. There was a lot of singing ( Knees Up Muvver Brown, Show Me The Way To Go Home etc.), the Hokey Cokey in the street at midnight and so on. You get the picture. I wouldn't mind but they are 88 and 86! It was fun actually. I love people enjoying themselves.

Resolutions for 23: Get completely well, lose 4 stone, and finally give up smoking! Happy days.

I wish you all the best of everything for this year and thank you again for your warm welcome home.

With very best wishes. Jane. Xxxx

Anti social neighbours,I blame the parents.

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

Good morning everyone and welcome to 2023.  

We were another couple who stayed home and had a quiet evening but that is not unusual because we rarely go out on NYE.  We didn't hear any fireworks which is very unusual.  It was a very wet evening so I wonder whether the weather people off being outside.

• Like 8

Happy new year to you all. We normally have my sister coming to stay on NYE but she has flu so it was just the two of us and the cat. There were very few fireworks here which is unusual. We were in bed by 11.30 and asleep before midnight. 

We are off up the road later to my daughters (630 footsteps) and beginning the start of our New Year’s resolution to walk every day. Very happy as I can now say we are cruising next month. 

I hope you are all well and have a happy and healthy 2023. Xx

• Like 14

19 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Good morning everyone and welcome to 2023.  

We were another couple who stayed home and had a quiet evening but that is not unusual because we rarely go out on NYE.  We didn't hear any fireworks which is very unusual.  It was a very wet evening so I wonder whether the weather people off being outside.

On a more pessimistic note, the fact that there seem to have been fewer fireworks at midnight may be due to the cost of living crisis. My main concern though is that many who had bought them and were prevented from setting them off by the wet weather may decide to set them off at other times thereby causing prolonged distress to the pets that we look after. Either that or keeping a stock of explosives in their homes ready for bonfire night or new year’s eve 2024.

• Like 4

Morning folks, Hope everyone is ok 😊

@Beckett  Watching 80 plus year olds dancing in the street must have been a sight to behold.

All those old songs getting belted out .Lets hope they do it again next year and if they 

did...🎵 WOULD'NT  IT BE LUVVERLEEE 🎵 😉

There seemed to be plenty of fireworks  around here last night , which reminds me ..

Paddy's New Year firework party was a complete disaster last night .
"I don't understand it!" He said. "They all worked fine when I tried them yesterday,"😆

Take care :classic_love:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 4
  • Haha 9

When OH had his business we had a 'closed' season and during that time frequented a local hotel on Saturday nights.   Then we moved.  I went to the hotel for a charity do a few weeks ago and I asked the owner about New Years Eve.  He said they were doing a ticket only disco and buffet and if we wanted to go it would be a good price.

Obviously over the years the family got to know the owners, another family run business.

Anyway we  decided to go and thought it quite a bargain when he said £60 with overnight stay.  Each we thought, but no it was £60 for both of us.

It was a fun night.   Disco, buffet, midnight fizz and overnight stay £60!!!!!  Can't beat that one.🤣..

Resolution went down the drain before 9.30am.    Diet started today, but we popped in a greasy spoon on the way home!!!!😍

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Good morning.

It is sunny here after raining all day yesterday and last night.

We went to bed at 1.30am and I am writing this sitting in bed.

I wish everyone a happy, healthy and lots of cruises new year.

We missed church this morning but our vicar WhatsApps us the sermon he records before the service every week and we have both just listened to it.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

• Like 12

20 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

When OH had his business we had a 'closed' season and during that time frequented a local hotel on Saturday nights.   Then we moved.  I went to the hotel for a charity do a few weeks ago and I asked the owner about New Years Eve.  He said they were doing a ticket only disco and buffet and if we wanted to go it would be a good price.

Obviously over the years the family got to know the owners, another family run business.

Anyway we  decided to go and thought it quite a bargain when he said £60 with overnight stay.  Each we thought, but no it was £60 for both of us.

It was a fun night.   Disco, buffet, midnight fizz and overnight stay £60!!!!!  Can't beat that one.🤣..

Resolution went down the drain before 9.30am.    Diet started today, but we popped in a greasy spoon on the way home!!!!😍

Sounds good. Pre ' you know what ' we went away to a hotel for new year. This year we looked at the prices....HOW MUCH!!!!. I think these places are tying to rebuild their finances in one hit. 3 nights at a Warners hotel was £1,500.  No thanks..

Happy new year

Ebenezer Zap.🤣

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is sunny here after raining all day yesterday and last night.

We went to bed at 1.30am and I am writing this sitting in bed.

I wish everyone a happy, healthy and lots of cruises new year.

We missed church this morning but our vicar WhatsApps us the sermon he records before the service every week and we have both just listened to it.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

Unlike you to miss the service Graham. Gail and me hope you are well. Happy new year to you both.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Unlike you to miss the service Graham. Gail and me hope you are well. Happy new year to you both.

Thank you John.

Pauline and I wish Gail and yourself a Happy new year full of cruises,good health and happiness.

Graham.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Sounds good. Pre ' you know what ' we went away to a hotel for new year. This year we looked at the prices....HOW MUCH!!!!. I think these places are tying to rebuild their finances in one hit. 3 nights at a Warners hotel was £1,500.  No thanks..

Happy new year

Ebenezer Zap.🤣

Several of the Lake District hotels had similar priced deals so we stayed at home.

• Like 2

Happy New Year everyone. Not been on the boards lately as I have been away with friends in Lancashire for Christmas and Leicestershire for New Year. Both celebrated nicely and quietly but with a noisy night out in barmy Blackpool at the fabulous Funny Girls for their festive spectacular. Going back home tomorrow.

Wishing you all all a wonderful, healthy & happy 2023.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

A Happy New year to everyone on here from a "lurker". We have been lucky to spend this w/ end at a hotel in South devon. The food & quality of service is outstanding. We were lucky to grab a cancellation for this stay. The 7 course gala dinner last night fantastic, also unlimited fizz both pre dinner & at midnight. Have been for a walk along front already & had a go at "The Archery" offered to guests too. ( 6 out of 6) on the target. Later this month, we shall be down in Maderia to celebrate my big 0 birthday somewhere warm, sitting by a pool drinking a cocktail. Something I was unable to do back in 2018 on a 35 night Caribbean cruise because we had a tropical downpour all day in Roatan. We shall be taking a break from cruising in 23, to visit some of UK places instead. Happy cruising to you all that set sail.

• Like 16

20 hours ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Harry the pressure is unrelenting and not only for front line staff. Every department is creaking under the strain and the introduction of ICBs has only added to it. I’ve never known it to be so bad in my 19 year career in the service.

However, a new year is upon us and I hope that 2023 is everything that you all on CC wish for yourselves.

I wish you a happy new year and thank you for your amazing health service work.

I had a small skin cancer removed off my face 3 week's ago and the stitches out a week later.

The surgeon and all the nurses were so friendly and there is hardly any sign of the cut now.

You are all wonderful in our NHS.

Graham 

ny-278.gif

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 16

We have spent a bit of time filtering which phone calls to answer, very easy on the mobiles but we have to check the display on the house phone to decide whether or not to answer.  DH forgot and had to talk to his sister for 35 minutes before he managed get away, but he did lie and made an excuse so I didn't have to talk to her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

A very happy 2023 to you all from a grey and dreary Glasgow.  My daughter is over from Greece just now so we managed to stay awake long enough to watch the fireworks from Edinburgh Castle on TV.  I had forgotten how magnificent they are.   We had a fabulous view of them from our upstairs window for the many years when I stayed through there.  
Thanks for all your chat and banter over the past (nearly) three years.  I look forward to catching up with all your news and views.   As they used to say up here - “Lang may yer lum reek”.  Some of you might need a translation for that.🤔🤔

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We have spent a bit of time filtering which phone calls to answer, very easy on the mobiles but we have to check the display on the house phone to decide whether or not to answer.  DH forgot and had to talk to his sister for 35 minutes before he managed get away, but he did lie and made an excuse so I didn't have to talk to her.

Would I be right in thinking SiL does not visit this site?

• Haha 10

Happy New Year everyone.

We had a quiet evening, in bed for 11.15pm but then shaken awake at midnight by the outbreak of WW3, at least that's what it sounded like. I have never heard fireworks so loud that the ground vibrated and the sky lit up like it was daylight. I have a feeling they were display fireworks.

I had a busy morning, joint now cooking and veg  prepped for tonights dinner, then phoning or face timing with family, something I always do New Year's Day, much nicer to personally wish them a happy new year.

I don't nomally make new year resolutions as I always break them and then feel disappointed in myself, but this year I'm turning over a new leaf. After speaking with my sister, 83 years old, 2 cruises last year, 1 coming this March and Aurora booked for 2024,  who goes out for a walk every day with my 87 year old BIL, I've realised what a coward I've become, and that I'm stupidly letting life pass me by.

So this year I'm stepping back into the world and dragging Frank with me. 1st,  the 9lb that crept on since 2020 is going. 2nd, when the weather picks up, we're going into Barnsley to look around the new centre, I'm told it's lovely, and last but not least, I'm going to begin planning for our cruise in December, and also research for next years cruise as well.

I hope everyone's 2023 is what you wish it to be, and maybe we will meet sometime on a cruise ship.

Avril

• Like 25

38 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Happy New Year everyone.

We had a quiet evening, in bed for 11.15pm but then shaken awake at midnight by the outbreak of WW3, at least that's what it sounded like. I have never heard fireworks so loud that the ground vibrated and the sky lit up like it was daylight. I have a feeling they were display fireworks.

I had a busy morning, joint now cooking and veg  prepped for tonights dinner, then phoning or face timing with family, something I always do New Year's Day, much nicer to personally wish them a happy new year.

I don't nomally make new year resolutions as I always break them and then feel disappointed in myself, but this year I'm turning over a new leaf. After speaking with my sister, 83 years old, 2 cruises last year, 1 coming this March and Aurora booked for 2024,  who goes out for a walk every day with my 87 year old BIL, I've realised what a coward I've become, and that I'm stupidly letting life pass me by.

So this year I'm stepping back into the world and dragging Frank with me. 1st,  the 9lb that crept on since 2020 is going. 2nd, when the weather picks up, we're going into Barnsley to look around the new centre, I'm told it's lovely, and last but not least, I'm going to begin planning for our cruise in December, and also research for next years cruise as well.

I hope everyone's 2023 is what you wish it to be, and maybe we will meet sometime on a cruise ship.

Avril

Yaay Avril - get back out there and pick up the threads.   We won’t get this time back.  I did 3 cruises last year and off again in February.  All enjoyable and nothing to fear. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1