P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

A sign outside Santa's grotto in town. Santa can't see you at the moment. His grotto is outside specsavers.

I walked into The Ring Shop and asked "Do you sell chip butty's ?"
I was rudely told, "No, we don't  You should've gone to Specsavers." 
So I went to Specsavers and  they said the didn't sell them either .🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 17

6 hours ago, kalos said:

What strange times we live in ? This time of year up and down the UK we have 

got towns and city's hoping and praying that their Christmas markets bring in 

much needed revenue for their businesses.

What's Lincoln decide to do? Scrap theirs as too many people go to their

Christmas market 🤔

Lincolnshire Christmas Market was the Goose that laid the Golden Egg. For year after year it grew in popularity, brought business and profits to the traders, local hotels and a huge influx of money into the local area.

In 2022 the cost of leasing a stall was far too high. so that traders had to offer high value merchandise to cover their costs... result the number of traders booking stalls was smaller than expected.

The Councils own staff commissioned additional costly works to the park and ride site.

Contracted works associated with the market cost more than estimated.

The Council made a loss of about £80.000. Council estimates were that the Lincoln Christmas Market would make a loss in future years. 

The Council cancelled the Market in February of this year.

• Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Can I ask which company it is ? 

Yes it's NK Holidays.  They have a very good website.

Its was off to Greenwich then Masters Fish and Chip shop at Waterloo, which was really good and included everything including side dishes,  then off for a tour of the London lights.  We went as far out as Notting Hill  

We live on the old A2 and the driver dropped us almost at our door.   Home about half an hour ago.

Very good Company.

ps to say the driver told us a lot more trips for 2024 will be added shortly

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

Yes it's NK Holidays.  They have a very good website.

Its was off to Greenwich then Masters Fish and Chip shop at Waterloo, which was really good and included everything including side dishes,  then off for a tour of the London lights.  We went as far out as Notting Hill  

We live on the old A2 and the driver dropped us almost at our door.   Home about half an hour ago.

Very good Company.

ps to say the driver told us a lot more trips for 2024 will be added shortly

Ah, yes, I’ve heard of them, and they have a convenient pick up for us.

We’ve  used Jewels of Gravesend and Chalkwell of Sittingbourne for day trips,  but haven’t done a day trip for 18 months. Our last one was with Chalkwell to the Weald and Downland Museum. The Museum was great, but on the way home, the driver managed to make a wrong turning, and added an hour to the journey with a roundabout route to get back on track, including squeezing through the narrow streets of Petworth. Not sure how it happened in these days of Sat Navs, but we fell out of love with coach day trips at that point.

But would like to try NK, to see if we can rekindle the flame. Will keep an eye their website.

Thanks for the feedback 

• Like 1

Morning all, just checking in. Sorry there’s too many pages for me to read everyone’s news.

Life is just Groundhog Day at the moment, work, look after mum. Go to her flat to see no post again! Over 2 weeks at the moment since she’s had post it’s ridiculous.

Next Tuesday my sister and brother in law are coming up to give us a couple of hours of respite! 

One piece of good news- John’s cast is off! However they’re still advising he doesn’t drive just yet and he’s been signed off work til 30th December! He had his first physio session yesterday so I hope that will help.

Mum is being adamant she doesn’t want to go to a care home, I don’t know what to do! She’s really unsafe on her own. She wants to go back to her flat but I would be worried sick constantly if she did. There is a letter I’ve read from her Parkinson’s nurse that says ‘she can fall in any direction’ and that sums it up!

• Like 17

Sue I am sorry to see that you are having such a difficult time at the moment.  Sometimes you just have to look at what is the safest thing to do for your mum.

Have you taken her to look at some of the care homes? this is what we did with dad and he saw that really would be ok going into one.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Morning it's -2.c and frosty for us this morning .must remember to put the birds fresh water out

as it maybe frozen ,the bird feeders seem ok as they are still feeding off them .

Take care everyone .🙂

FB_IMG_1701793778726.jpg.30a07011419071a8e080b52cac1a32c2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

Nine o'clock and hope that all's well.

Well it's damp, it's cold. it's grey, it's misty... some might even use the word "driech" to describe this morning. But it's good for one thing... tidying clothes.

Just found a £10 note in a little used pocket of an overcoat... good start to the day.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Morning all, just checking in. Sorry there’s too many pages for me to read everyone’s news.

Life is just Groundhog Day at the moment, work, look after mum. Go to her flat to see no post again! Over 2 weeks at the moment since she’s had post it’s ridiculous.

Next Tuesday my sister and brother in law are coming up to give us a couple of hours of respite! 

One piece of good news- John’s cast is off! However they’re still advising he doesn’t drive just yet and he’s been signed off work til 30th December! He had his first physio session yesterday so I hope that will help.

Mum is being adamant she doesn’t want to go to a care home, I don’t know what to do! She’s really unsafe on her own. She wants to go back to her flat but I would be worried sick constantly if she did. There is a letter I’ve read from her Parkinson’s nurse that says ‘she can fall in any direction’ and that sums it up!

Stay strong Sue. TBH, I think your sister owes you more than a few hours respite.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Morning it's -2.c and frosty for us this morning .must remember to put the birds fresh water out

as it maybe frozen ,the bird feeders seem ok as they are still feeding off them .

Take care everyone .🙂

FB_IMG_1701793778726.jpg.30a07011419071a8e080b52cac1a32c2.jpg

Every morning my mrs throws 2 bowls full of mixed bird food  on our patio and tops up the water in the bird bowl.Woodies,starlings ,magpies and 4 squirrels all feed happily together.Lovely watching them thru the patio doors.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Sue I am sorry to see that you are having such a difficult time at the moment.  Sometimes you just have to look at what is the safest thing to do for your mum.

Have you taken her to look at some of the care homes? this is what we did with dad and he saw that really would be ok going into one.

No we haven’t yet as John’s not driving yet and I don’t drive! You couldn’t make it up could you!

• Like 7

@P&O SUE

My situation was different to yours Sue. I wasn't working at the time Dad died so Mum came to live with us, however, she still dug her heels in about leaving her home. Mum was partially sighted and couldn't manage alone. What I soon came to realise after many 'discussions' was that it wasn't the actual house, but all her memories of Dad were there. I'd lost my Dad, but Mum had lost her whole life and was trying hard to hold on to all she had left. I suspect that could be the same with your Mum. Maybe you could find a care home where she can take a few momentos to keep around her to make her feel 'at home'

Take care.x

Avri

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

@P&O SUE

My situation was different to yours Sue. I wasn't working at the time Dad died so Mum came to live with us, however, she still dug her heels in about leaving her home. Mum was partially sighted and couldn't manage alone. What I soon came to realise after many 'discussions' was that it wasn't the actual house, but all her memories of Dad were there. I'd lost my Dad, but Mum had lost her whole life and was trying hard to hold on to all she had left. I suspect that could be the same with your Mum. Maybe you could find a care home where she can take a few momentos to keep around her to make her feel 'at home'

Take care.x

Avri

I agree. When my Mum had to move to a care home I was able to fill her room with pictures and favourite ornaments, etc. to make it feel more like home. It is a very difficult situation. 

• Like 9

We had a heavy hoar frost here, but with the sun shining, I felt a bit smug when we drove the car out of the garage and lots of our neighbours were scraping their car windscreens. We went into Barnsley for breakfast, it looks like they are setting up for a Christmas market.

image.png.ef799b63e1a66513cbccf0f75fc958f6.png 

• Haha 15

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

@P&O SUE

Take care.x

Avri

Thank you Avril, my parents moved from the family home to a ground floor flat in 2022 but obviously there are still plenty of things then.

I’ve had a look at a few online and you can take your own chair etc to some I’ve noticed.

As well as her falls her eyes aren’t great either and her speech is often not clear either. I said to her what would she do if she fell and she said she’d call an ambulance but often her speech is very bad on the phone so I’d be afraid she couldn’t. It very sad.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Thank you Avril, my parents moved from the family home to a ground floor flat in 2022 but obviously there are still plenty of things then.

I’ve had a look at a few online and you can take your own chair etc to some I’ve noticed.

As well as her falls her eyes aren’t great either and her speech is often not clear either. I said to her what would she do if she fell and she said she’d call an ambulance but often her speech is very bad on the phone so I’d be afraid she couldn’t. It very sad.

Have you ever thought about getting her a personal alarm which is linked to a mini ting centre. We had one for my mom, it was a lifesaver on at least one occasion when she fell in the night and badly gashed her leg, the paramedic said had she not got it she may not have survived until the morning. My 87 year old neighbour has one again has been a lifesaver.

we are currently trying to get my recently widowed mother in law to have one as she lives 40 or more miles away from family members, so we couldn’t get there in a emergency is less than an hour. 

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/care-services-equipment-and-care-homes/personal-alarms-security-systems-and-keysafes/

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Yes, it is very sad Sue. As we age we gradually become weaker, our mobility, sight  and even memory, but what always remains strong is our pride and independence. 

Avril

• Like 5

We were in a similar position with my Dad around 10 years ago. The main issue we had was that though his house was unsuitable for someone in his eighties, as he had become virtually blind the only place he could find his way around on his own and have a level of independence was in the house he had lived for 15 years. 

We had the benefit that there was 3 of us me, my wife and my sister to share the support work. he had in place his meals on wheels to provide a lunchtime check, we arranged for a neighbour to help clean his house an hour or so 3 times a week (basically she kept an eye out for him and made sure that he was ok for everything during weekdays). As mentioned above some form of personal alarm pendent is a good idea. My Dad was very resistant to any connection directly to a paid monitoring system. We purchased a device from BT that we programmed with our house number, my mobile and my sisters phone and when pressed it would call each in turn until one was answered (it was clever enough to ignore answer machines). We could then assess whether we needed to go around, ask a neighbour to pop in or potentially call the emergency services

We managed like this for around 8 years. This worked for him but of course every situation is different for each individual. If your Mum's sight is starting to fade but still at a reasonable level then I would suggest that finding somewhere with a suitable level of care should be sooner rather than later whilst she is still in a position to adapt to new surroundings

The postal service in Medway is very strange at the moment. We seem to have little or no issues with a post person calling 3 or 4 times each week. Neighbouring streets however seem to go weeks without any delivery

Good luck with everything

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

You may have considered all of this already (and I’m presuming it’s the same in your council area) but there is technology they can put in place now for older vulnerable folks. Basics like a mex necklace where she just needs to hit the button if she falls for the mobile service to come out to her.

They can also wire up censors in the house and if there is no movement at expected times they will visit, can’t remember the name of this but social work provide it.

It might put your mind at rest a bit until you can arrange something more permanent as that can unfortunately take time.

Do you have / have you discussed a power of attorney with your mum? It would make it easier to help her and put things in place for mum now and if she ever deteriorates further in terms of speech and eyesight (you could built that into the springing clause, it doesn’t have to be mental capacity which people sometimes assume).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

You seems to be having a hard time at the moment, I feel for you.

i don’t think there is really anything else I can add to what has been said already apart from make use of any offers of help.

My mum is going the same way. She will be 90 in July and still lives independently. I go to see her every day and take her out somewhere most days. However she has macular degeneration that is getting significantly worse now, she can’t read, can’t see what food she is looking at in the supermarket but she can see distance like she might read a car number plate to me. She has one of those cord ring bells in case of an emergency.

Take care

Michelle

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There’s nothing easier than living other peoples’ lives, so I hesitate to do more than sympathise with you Sue.  It’s a horrible situation, which many of us have been in.  
Perhaps you can negotiate more input from your sister, whether that is significant practical help to allow Mum to continue to live independently, or joining the conversation to persuade her to give serious thought to entering  care?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

You are in a very difficult situation Sue, one which we know well as we had similar with my MiL, albeit to be fair she was reasonably OK with going into care. What you really need to consider is your health and wellbeing, it is easy to get wrapped up in caring for others without realising how it is affecting you.

Our local council was fairly good putting daily care in place until Mil who had dementia just couldn't cope, even though she thought she could. We found Carers count very helpful, good luck whatever you decide, stay strong.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1