P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Good morning all bright sunshine here this morning off to Bournemouth for shoe hunting for hubby 🥴 very fussy person he is trying to get him a bit more relaxed every day walking shoes , but for so many years in service he still looks at hard chunky boots 😤.

glad your a lot better Michelle because last time you were having a blip, and having to rest , lovely surprise for your grandchildren and a full day for you today have lots of fun and enjoy your curry tonight 😁

Hope you successful with shoe / boot shopping! I’m only a few miles from Bournemouth and it’s sunny here so maybe a paddle to relieve tired feet afterwards….?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ccpm said:

Lovely day here and I am just back from Sheringham where I got the enhanced digital passport submission done. Really easy took less than 15 minutes. Hoping I will get it within the 8-9 weeks it is before I sail. Decided not to go to Peterborough owing to still some petrol shortages locally. 

Sheringham has developed a one way system down its streets arrows on pavement. BUT it was heaving today even early doors and you could not see them. It has been approx 20 months since I was last there and I had forgotten. So went the wrong way as was everyone else it seemed. No-one to monitor it anyway but I felt guilty nonetheless when I realised. Drove out along the coastal road and it was so lovely to see the sea on my right for a lot of the way. When I got to Wells next the Sea it was the usual Russian roulette of will I knock someone down as everyone, his wife and their dog just seems to step straight out. Luckily I managed my errands there without harming anyone. I'm reasonably well trained as I live on what I term "suicide alley" in the centre of my home town/large village which is treated by those on holiday as if fully pedestrianised just because it is quaint and has narrow roadways. I jest not we are on first name terms with the paramedics.

Wheelbarrow returned not a darn thanks and dirty as heck. If he had ever been on it he would now be off my Xmas card list. Graham's fish pictures have lead me down a  bad path I now need to go along the street and get some at lunchtime. Just out of interest what do fish and chips from the chippie cost in your area? Here in tourist central they are £18.95 to take away.

Around £6 in our local fish shop.

23 minutes ago, ccpm said:

Lovely day here and I am just back from Sheringham where I got the enhanced digital passport submission done. Really easy took less than 15 minutes. Hoping I will get it within the 8-9 weeks it is before I sail. Decided not to go to Peterborough owing to still some petrol shortages locally. 

Sheringham has developed a one way system down its streets arrows on pavement. BUT it was heaving today even early doors and you could not see them. It has been approx 20 months since I was last there and I had forgotten. So went the wrong way as was everyone else it seemed. No-one to monitor it anyway but I felt guilty nonetheless when I realised. Drove out along the coastal road and it was so lovely to see the sea on my right for a lot of the way. When I got to Wells next the Sea it was the usual Russian roulette of will I knock someone down as everyone, his wife and their dog just seems to step straight out. Luckily I managed my errands there without harming anyone. I'm reasonably well trained as I live on what I term "suicide alley" in the centre of my home town/large village which is treated by those on holiday as if fully pedestrianised just because it is quaint and has narrow roadways. I jest not we are on first name terms with the paramedics.

Wheelbarrow returned not a darn thanks and dirty as heck. If he had ever been on it he would now be off my Xmas card list. Graham's fish pictures have lead me down a  bad path I now need to go along the street and get some at lunchtime. Just out of interest what do fish and chips from the chippie cost in your area? Here in tourist central they are £18.95 to take away.

Fish and chips between £5 and £6, curry sauce 70p. No Prosecco. 

30 minutes ago, ccpm said:

Pushing £10 here (that is the posh chippy though).

Cheaper to go to Wetherspoons plus you get a beer.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ccpm said:

£8.50 for cod & soggy chips 50p more if you want for what passes as curry sauce. 

I will not panic, I will not panic.

I used to entertain a lot but have spent the last couple of years getting back on my feet, and am still semi-disabled, but cope. I invited daughter and son in law for lunch tomorrow, and made it easy and did  a quick Ocado/MS delivery. with some things already prepared. Great I thought.  THEN the grandkids and their partners decided to come 🙃.  I  am lucky that OH can  go to another supermarket to get the extras.  I will have to double up on the Mars Bar Trifles or they won't come!!!

I have never cooked a big meal on the cooker here, and tables and chairs will be a mish mash but it will be fun and all hands on deck...I have alcohol😃

For anyone else in my position.. a few weeks ago I had 9 ladies from a group coming for lunch.   It was a bit short notice so I looked at the pre order stuff in M**isons and ordered sandwiches and cheese board, then heated quiches, sausage rolls and some other bits and pieces.  After cake etc I asked if anyone wanted those icecream things in a stick.. wow they went down well too.  I did hardy any work only laying it out and the emails I got the next day were lovely.  They are al thinking of doing it next time. No stress.

Edited by indiana123
Sorry that paragraphs gone a bit silly, and I can't mend it!!
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Just hold your nose and swallow, remember just like when your Mum used to force you to have cod liver oil on a tablespoon.

Yep and it made me gag. The only good thing was that my mum followed the cod liver oil up with a tablespoon of malt which was actually quite nice and thought to be very healthy as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ccpm said:

Just out of interest what do fish and chips from the chippie cost in your area? Here in tourist central they are £18.95 to take away.

Chips £1.90/£2.35   Cod £3.75/£5.45 we share a large between us @£7.80.

At this chippy we like to use it's an old Working  Mens Club that is now a restaurant so you can eat in and they have  acts appearing now and again (like being in the limelight club ) whilst you chomp  away at your chips :classic_love: A large cod with  chips etc would cost you £10.99 or if your considered to be OAP then it's £7.50 for a regular cod meal with chips and whatever and bread & butter.

Memo to kalos ... Avoid chippy if passing by ccpm world :classic_wink:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yep and it made me gag. The only good thing was that my mum followed the cod liver oil up with a tablespoon of malt which was actually quite nice and thought to be very healthy as well.

My wife remembers that very well - and the malt extract that followed!  Funnily enough, we bought some malt extract a few days ago from Amazon (best price, bar none, and delivered to the door free with Prime) to make a malt loaf.  She still loves the malt extract!

This morning's Amazon delivery contained goose fat and organic bread flour - it's becoming a very useful addition to the big supermarkets.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ccpm said:

Just out of interest what do fish and chips from the chippie cost in your area? Here in tourist central they are £18.95 to take away.

According to my grandson, the cost in our area averages £7.50 - £9.50 depending on the size of the fish, sans peas.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We had Cod liver oil capsules when we were kids.🤓

So did I, but it didn't make any difference. 🤢 Yuck!!!

I remember Virol as well, now that was lovely. Mum had to hide it or I would have been in there with a teaspoon every chance I got😋

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
added text
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ccpm said:

Nice area, North Norfolk - but £18.95 to take away?  Have the Chelsea set really driven prices that high?  I don't think even Padstein's that bad!

Around the £8 mark round here, takeaway, a bit more for a larger fish.  Haddock's the standard, rather than the southern Cod - most people won't eat Cod where it used to be caught. It's regarded as a 'dirty' fish.  Skin off mostly in the north, but presumably still skin on in the south.

Visited No 1 Cromer a couple of years back after seeing the reviews, but it was a huge disappointment.  Much better fish and chips to be had in Sheringham.  All a matter of personal taste and choice, though, isn't it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

This morning's Amazon delivery contained goose fat and organic bread flour - it's becoming a very useful addition to the big supermarkets

I have to agree with you there Harry about Amazon Prime. We used it to purchase everything  we needed when we refurbished the house. 

I no longer buy my risotto or jasmine rice, pasta, sesame oil, oyster and soy sauces etc from the supermarket.  Amazon have a wide choice and the quality and price is excellent. 

Avril

Edited by Adawn47

Fish and chips here about £8 for a regular portion, a bit more for large. I have no idea what they are in St. Ives, but I expect they are more!!

Have been up to Tesco and quite a few of their shelves are empty.  I couldn't get the wine I usually buy either, so am trying some alternatives! Did get a turkey crown for next week, which was the main reason to go. Everyone seemed to wearing masks too.😀

Just having a bit to eat before I head off to work in a while. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Nice area, North Norfolk - but £18.95 to take away?  Have the Chelsea set really driven prices that high?  I don't think even Padstein's that bad!

Around the £8 mark round here, takeaway, a bit more for a larger fish.  Haddock's the standard, rather than the southern Cod - most people won't eat Cod where it used to be caught. It's regarded as a 'dirty' fish.  Skin off mostly in the north, but presumably still skin on in the south.

Visited No 1 Cromer a couple of years back after seeing the reviews, but it was a huge disappointment.  Much better fish and chips to be had in Sheringham.  All a matter of personal taste and choice, though, isn't it.

Prices here are ridiculous because as you suggest the coast especially Wells, Brancaster exploded from early 2009/10 I think. That has spread to other towns inland. Here in Holt, which I think of as a very small town, house prices are through the roof especially after Covid saw many run to their second homes here and many others thought it a good safe option. This knocks on to everything although I have to admit having just returned from the fish shop where cod and chips were from £13.95 (child). £18.95 is for monkfish and chips (small) so I did get that wrong  The server told me I have to remember they only open for 7-8 months per year.