P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

They doesn't matter wowzz. I don't intend to be in town that long 😆

Avril 

The thunderstorms that should be with you now should  clear the air and the town of shoppers :classic_wink:

Now would be a good time to go :classic_unsure:

Pity they did not pass through Bournemouth yesterday afternoon , I think the locals would have loved that.:classic_smile:

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, kalos said:

The thunderstorms that should be with you now should  clear the air and the town of shoppers :classic_wink:

Just gone over us now. Thunder, lighting,  gales and torrential rain. Lasted all of 10 minutes. A shame, I love a good thunderstorm. 😆

Avril 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

I apologise for my spelling mistake this morning and all who are from Birmingham,  and not Bermingham,   I put it down to first thing and not having a cup of tea 😳 embarrassing 

I have a couple of mates from that neck of the woods and they pronounce it what sounds like Bermingham even though they mean Birmingham :classic_smile:  I'm sure they will forgive you :classic_wink:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 2

On 6/25/2020 at 6:34 AM, AndyMichelle said:

Wight link from Pompey or Lymington tend to be cheaper than Red Funnel. 

Quicker too as they have less distance to travel. 

Andy 

I have given up on the Lymington crossing now as I am sick and fed up of sitting in mile long queues of traffic on the approach to Lyndhurst when we are heading for the ferry. Whatever time of day, or time of year, we get caught there and the extra journey time to get there makes the total journey longer than going via Southampton. Lyndhurst is a bottle neck and the traffic lights need re phasing. Don’t particularly like the Portsmouth crossing so we are reverting to Red Funnel. We like the transit down Southampton Water as there’s always plenty to see and it reminds us of our cruise departures! We have booked the Signature Lounge (exclusive top deck) for our next crossing. I figure that you’d get a better class of Coronavirus in there, just as you would in first class if you had to use a train 😂 

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 8:18 PM, AndyMichelle said:

Did you buy a caravan or a time travelling machine... 😊

Enjoy the caravan. 

Andy 

This is sad but I have read your reply about 10 times and could not for the life of me work out what you meant.

Have read it now and finally got it !!! Oh dear …………… says a lot about our state of minds !!!

:classic_laugh::classic_smile::classic_huh::classic_wink:

• Haha 1

PS Baking hot here in Stoke on Trent and not a storm in sight today. They were promised

It has been a busy week here but, without going in to details, all of the people we have been with this week - both young and old (and those inbetween) - about 200 in total ---- are well and happy. :-)

I call that a good week :-)

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I have given up on the Lymington crossing now as I am sick and fed up of sitting in mile long queues of traffic on the approach to Lyndhurst when we are heading for the ferry. Whatever time of day, or time of year, we get caught there and the extra journey time to get there makes the total journey longer than going via Southampton. Lyndhurst is a bottle neck and the traffic lights need re phasing. Don’t particularly like the Portsmouth crossing so we are reverting to Red Funnel. We like the transit down Southampton Water as there’s always plenty to see and it reminds us of our cruise departures! We have booked the Signature Lounge (exclusive top deck) for our next crossing. I figure that you’d get a better class of Coronavirus in there, just as you would in first class if you had to use a train 😂 

Avoid Lyndhurst in the summer months, it is quicker to head towards Hythe and Beaulieu then across. 

We still tend to go from Southampton but look out for offers. 

Andy 

3 hours ago, kalos said:

Pity they did not pass through Bournemouth yesterday afternoon , I think the locals would have loved that.:classic_smile:

IMG-20200626-WA0001.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, kalos said:

I have a couple of mates from that neck of the woods and they pronounce it what sounds like Bermingham even though they mean Birmingham :classic_smile:  I'm sure they will forgive you :classic_wink:

A few years ago me and DW went to Bournemouth for valentine's weekend ( romantic huh?) . There was a young couple at the next table. I said " have you come far ". Chester they said, by train.Did it take long. About 8 hours. I said " I thought it would take about half that ". She replied clever dick here asked "What platform to Barmouth?.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Avoid Lyndhurst in the summer months, it is quicker to head towards Hythe and Beaulieu then across. 

Andy 

Portsmouth for us. It's only an hour from home. I got an email from Wightlink today. £52.50 return for a limited time only. We pay £55 when we book through Warner's.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

Haven’t tried that route Andy but we find Lyndhurst to be a nightmare all year. Last year we went in April and October and got caught there both times. Wasn’t anywhere near school holidays either and was late morning Fridays!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Haven’t tried that route Andy but we find Lyndhurst to be a nightmare all year. Last year we went in April and October and got caught there both times. Wasn’t anywhere near school holidays either and was late morning Fridays!

Pre lockdown, occasionally we stay a couple of days in the New Forest at Burley and then over to the Island from Lymington, but back from Fishbourne.I have relatives who live in East Cowes,so try and avoid there.😁

6 hours ago, kalos said:

You're not kidding.  We were under siege!   Parking on pavements, verges, double yellow lines and roundabouts!!!  And the pictures of the beach must leave any decent person appalled.

But, what difference a day makes!  Picture taken about midday - but perhaps the party crowds had still to arrive! 

You can just see Arcadia - Aurora out of shot.

IMG_20200626_123106804(2).thumb.jpg.393e9954536fc1ee6dd96ce74f855799.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

Pre lockdown, occasionally we stay a couple of days in the New Forest at Burley and then over to the Island from Lymington, but back from Fishbourne.I have relatives who live in East Cowes,so try and avoid there.😁

Guys, I'm now confused . We will be coming down the A34 from Newbury . Which ferry company should we use? Ideally we want some flexibility on ferry timings to allow for coffee breaks  on our trip from darkest Lincs.

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Guys, I'm now confused . We will be coming down the A34 from Newbury . Which ferry company should we use? Ideally we want some flexibility on ferry timings to allow for coffee breaks  on our trip from darkest Lincs.

M3 straight in to Southampton from the A34. 

But if I was coming from Lincolnshire I would come down the A3 straight into Pompey with a bit of shopping in Gunwharf after stopping at Cobham services. 

Andy 

7 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

M3 straight in to Southampton from the A34. 

But if I was coming from Lincolnshire I would come down the A3 straight into Pompey with a bit of shopping in Gunwharf after stopping at Cobham services. 

Andy 

Thanks again Andy. Interestingly,  the journey time for both routes is the same, 3 hours 43 minutes, but using the A34/M3 means I avoid the M25. I seem to have spent much of my working life sat in traffic jams on the M25, and consequently try and avoid it at all costs.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Thanks again Andy. Interestingly,  the journey time for both routes is the same, 3 hours 43 minutes, but using the A34/M3 means I avoid the M25. I seem to have spent much of my working life sat in traffic jams on the M25, and consequently try and avoid it at all costs.

It seems a long way across to join the A34? 

I do understand about the M25 though, can be horrendous.. 

I avoid the M3 if going up to London, quite like the A3

Andy 

I got the in-laws shopping list yesterday and I was pleased to see just 3 items: jam, sugar, printer ink cartridges. I got them all easily (even the cartridges) so was feeling pretty pleased with myself and my wife took them straight over.

"Why have you got jam and sugar, we've got plenty" said mother-in-law.

"That's what your list said" replied Michelle.

"No, not jam and sugar, JAM SUGAR, for making jam!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

On that basis, Red Funnel from Southampton, but a factor Is where your final destination on IOW lies. 

15 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I got the in-laws shopping list yesterday and I was pleased to see just 3 items: jam, sugar, printer ink cartridges. I got them all easily (even the cartridges) so was feeling pretty pleased with myself and my wife took them straight over.

"Why have you got jam and sugar, we've got plenty" said mother-in-law.

"That's what your list said" replied Michelle.

"No, not jam and sugar, JAM SUGAR, for making jam!"

Well the way I see it Damian ,,,Why on earth would she want jam sugar  when shes got plenty of jam ,even more now

you have brought her some more .

Think her self lucky that she did not want water biscuits or some cheese and possibly some straws .

Anyway no self respecting housewife should send their man out shopping alone ,it's not natural unless they send you

for basic stuff like beer & bbq burgers :classic_unsure:

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, kalos said:

Anyway no self respecting housewife should send their man out shopping alone

I'm obviously an exception, as I do all the  grocery shopping, and actively discourage Mrs W from accompanying me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1