P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

On 7/16/2020 at 9:14 AM, Adawn47 said:

Just to add my twopenny worth, our local authority have just charged me £20 to take a kingsize mattress away. It took them 15 days. At least it's finally gone 😊

Avril 

We paid £22 for the council to take away our old kitchen appliances (not fridge and freezer they have to go to the tip!) Put them out on the agreed day and my husband had to go outside and ask the scrap metal guy to put our oven back as he’d paid to have it taken away!! How annoying, if we’d known we would have just left it out!

I wonder how many people pay the council, go off to work, see their goods gone and assume it’s the council when it’s someone else!! It just happened it was John’s day off!

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

To carry on with this absorbing chat, ours will accept foil trays, but not yoghurt containers which are also marked as recyclable. I think it depends on the type of recycle station that is beind used. Apparently they're not all the same, or so our local authority tells me.

Avril 

The black container inside our blue recycling bin is for paper only which I diligently seperate otherwise they would refuse to take it away.

Last collection I watched the bin men empty the black container into the blue bin before emptying the blue bin into the wagon.

Makes you wonder.

• Like 1

Just now, DamianG said:

Wait a minute, what? Some people have grey and/or blue bins? I thought we had a full collection with our lovely trio of black, green and brown bins.

We have a red topped bin for non recyclables, purple topped bin for plastics, bottles & metals, blue canvas bag for paper & cardboard, green bin for garden waste, pale green caddy for food waste, also take shredded paper if put in clear bag. £15 to take away large items, you get one free bulk/large item collection per year if over 65 or have a registered disability. The 2 recycling centres take everything else you wish to dispose of in a very organised way. 

• Like 1

I've had one trip to our local recycling centre which is currently operating on an appointment only basis. It was easy to book online then you just turn up at your allocated time.

Typical I got behind a car where the driver turned up without a booking then argued with the security staff controlling entry for a good 5 minutes whilst a queue of cars built up. Eventually they cleared off and once I got parked up it was well managed.

There were clear rules on a huge sign about not having your car windows down and only one occupant should get out of each car but these were completely ignored by at least half a dozen cars in the 5 minutes I was there. 

Why can't folks just comply with the rules?

• Like 2

I could tell some harrowing tales of terraced house dwellers living in the North Norfolk DC area when I worked there during the introduction of wheelie bins, many of whom rang to share the eye-watering information that they couldn't get their bins up their back passages, side passages, and who knows where else.

But I won't because it's rather vulgar.🤢

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Wait a minute, what? Some people have grey and/or blue bins? I thought we had a full set with our lovely trio of black, green and brown bins.

Nope. We have four. Grey/black, brown, green and blue. I've even seen a purple one, but not in our area.

Avril 

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

"Where's tha bin lad?"
"Ah've bin t'pub"
"Nay, where's tha wheelie bin?"
"Ah've really bin t'pub!"

I just knew there was as comedian in there somewhere Harry😂. Love the new avatar, by the way. Very friendly 😉

Avril 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

If you want to be really exotic Liverpool have purple bins! :classic_biggrin:

Now that's being diplomatic,you can't put a red bin in a toffees area or visa versa.They just mixed them up.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

We have a simple system here in the depths of nowhere. One blue bin, onto which you put everything that can be recycled,  from papers, to yogurt pots to wine bottles,  and another black bin for everything else, apart from garden rubbish. Simple and easy. If you have a lot of garden rubbish, you have to buy a green whellie bin,  and pay £20 for a fortnightly collection during the summer months.

Being a cynical sort of chap I always think that the contents of all those different coloured bins all get dumped into the same container once they get back to the depot.

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

We have a simple system here in the depths of nowhere. One blue bin, onto which you put everything that can be recycled,  from papers, to yogurt pots to wine bottles,  and another black bin for everything else, apart from garden rubbish. Simple and easy. If you have a lot of garden rubbish, you have to buy a green whellie bin,  and pay £20 for a fortnightly collection during the summer months.

Being a cynical sort of chap I always think that the contents of all those different coloured bins all get dumped into the same container once they get back to the depot.

I think I'd rather have my four assorted -coloured bins. They do go to different recycling plants and the total cost of emptying all of them is listed separately  on the council tax bill.

Avril 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

goodness, we have a black bin for non-recycling.  Brown bin for garden waste and food.  Blue paper sacks for paper and cardboard and clear sack for tins andplastic.

Isn't it odd how different councils work with recycling?  Our green bin is for garden waste and nothing else. Any food waste goes into the grey non-recyclable rubbish. 

Avril 

On 7/14/2020 at 11:07 PM, wowzz said:

I know we are meant to obey the rules,  but things have now got to the stage that all this bubble nonsense has got out of hand. Go to a pub, sit at one table, and all your family members, friends etc, can sit at tables either side of you. 

My Mum is now happy as Larry  - she's off to the M&S cafe  everyday to meet up with her friends.  Is it right,  I dont know,  but I'm not going to argue with a bunch of 90 year olds! 

Screenshot_20200714_211405_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

"Where's tha bin lad?"
"Ah've bin t'pub"
"Nay, where's tha wheelie bin?"
"Ah've really bin t'pub!"

Nice one Harry I was going to post a joke like that but mine was rubbish so I binned it instead .
Mmm? What colour bin should I have put it in ?
Now it wasn't a rude joke ,so I have not used the blue bin .So should be ok .

A  mate of mine who lives around the corner from me works on the dustbin wagons .

I asked him "Did he have much training for the job ?"
"Not really ,when it comes to rubbish , you pick it up as you go along ." he said .:classic_wacko:
I think he has got a good job there ,providing he does not throw it all away .

Nice new avatar you have there Harry just make sure you dispose of your 
old one carefully and before you ask, no I haven,t  got a clue which bin it should go in .:classic_unsure::classic_smile:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I think I'd rather have my four assorted -coloured bins. They do go to different recycling plants and the total cost of emptying all of them is listed separately  on the council tax bill.

Avril 

Doesn't that make for extra collections and deliveries, meaning more pollution  ?

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

goodness, we have a black bin for non-recycling.  Brown bin for garden waste and food.  Blue paper sacks for paper and cardboard and clear sack for tins and plastic.

Which bin do those unwanted Grockles go in Jean ? :classic_unsure: :classic_wink: :classic_biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Word of thanks from me for all the bin men and women round here who carried on throughout the worst days of this epidemic - a lot of risk to them, but they kept coming and kept smiling.  Postmen and women too.

• Like 8

Bins are a bit of a sore subject with me. We have a blue one for plastics glass and card and a brown wheelie bin for garden rubbish. We’ve had our blue box since it started - a couple of weeks ago it disappeared!! I put it out, heard the dustcarts but didn’t go and get it back as I was on the phone for work. When I finished my shift I discovered it had gone!! 😡 Worse still the council don’t do them anymore just bags! So we’ve got a plastic box of our own outside my back door but it hasn’t got holes in it so it gets rain in it! John had even painted our door number on it! Who would steal it??

• Like 1

Bins are a bit of a sore subject with me. We have a blue one for plastics glass and card and a brown wheelie bin for garden rubbish. We’ve had our blue box since it started - a couple of weeks ago it disappeared!! I put it out, heard the dustcarts but didn’t go and get it back as I was on the phone for work. When I finished my shift I discovered it had gone!! [emoji35] Worse still the council don’t do them anymore just bags! So we’ve got a plastic box of our own outside my back door but it hasn’t got holes in it so it gets rain in it! John had even painted our door number on it! Who would steal it??

The same for us, our blue box disappeared ages ago and we’ve painted our door number on our brown wheelie bin. I’m so grateful that we have weekly collections even through the last 3 or 4 months

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1