P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

50 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But the distance is measured vertically as well as horizontally, so if you are in a block of flats, it can link with the people on the flat above you, even if you have no physical contact with them.

Let's hope Father Christmas doesn't have it, then, landing on every roof in the world...🤣

• Haha 2

I managed to drive 100 miles to Keswick.

We are currently having lunch at the Borrowdale hotel before going into Keswick to look around the market,shops etc.

I have brought Pauline's late dad's walking stick in case my foot starts to hurt while I'm standing watching Pauline shop🤫

Graham.

IMG-20200924-WA0000.jpg

IMG_20200924_123847.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, kalos said:

I do remember recently an old man going missing around these parts .The police helicopter was scrambled

and because he had a mobile switched on and on his person ,he was located and returned home to his family.

It's the same with everything now. Internet, drones, tracking devices etc, all wonderful things when used for there intended purposes.

Avril

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Thanks for the tip. I love Moscato too and have an order from Asda coming next week so I'll add this to it. We alternate between Asda and Tesco so we can get  all our favourite things and just did our Tesco order this morning. You can also get wine from Aldi with no delivery charge and they have a nice choice.

I don't know which you like but Asda have the pink Moscato, Gallo or Barefoot. we prefer the first one. Thanks for the Aldi tip, It's not a store I've used , but i'll have a look on line later.

Avril

21 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Boris will suspend it at Christmas,he doesn't want to be the PM that banned it,lol.

You think he's still going to be PM at Christmas? He's apparently pretty unhappy at the moment, not the job he was expecting it to be, and not enough income to cover his rather considerable outgoings. Apparently he even has to buy his own food!

My money's on a resignation at some point, probably after things hit home on 1 January, using long Covid as a convenient excuse, before others take the initiative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

you don't log on, or maybe you can set it to automatically activate when the phone is switched on. As the phone is on daily it checks via wifi at times during the day, not as I understand it constantly.

My understanding is that blue tooth is always active and does not need data to be switched on  plus when using home, or any other free wi fi, the app will download and upload any relevant data.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

They would have been aware of customers stockpiling trolleys with (say loo rolls) but only reacted when they received negative publicity about it

Perhaps you can explain how you re-fill the supply chain in less than 7 days with the "pick to zero" system used by the retailers? Can you also tell us where all the addition transport can be found, plus drivers, to cope with the spike in demand? The requirement as you are no doubt aware, is two fold - firstly to get the product  to the distribution centres, and then secondly to move the product to the stores. So, two lots of extra vehicles and two lots of extra drivers.

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I'm sure you're worrying unnecessarily about the security of your data Wowzz. 

I think your right Harry,after reading these posts I thought I'd like to learn a little

bit more about our data and who reads what.

The police will not be fazed whether you have the App or not as they have no law 

to stop them looking at it and no law saying how long they could keep it .

They don't have to even tell you they were looking at your data .

Makes a nice read :classic_unsure:

https://eachother.org.uk/police-can-download-smartphones-data-without-warrant/#:~:text=In the case of house,scour someone's property for evidence.&text=The police can take data,knowledge and without a warrant.

1 minute ago, kalos said:

I think your right Harry,after reading these posts I thought I'd like to learn a little

bit more about our data and who reads what.

The police will not be fazed whether you have the App or not as they have no law 

to stop them looking at it and no law saying how long they could keep it .

They don't have to even tell you they were looking at your data .

Makes a nice read :classic_unsure:

https://eachother.org.uk/police-can-download-smartphones-data-without-warrant/#:~:text=In the case of house,scour someone's property for evidence.&text=The police can take data,knowledge and without a warrant.

Excellent link Kalos. Strange that the police can't come into to your home and search your paperwork without a warrant, but can perfectly legally seize your phone and download everything.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Excellent link Kalos. Strange that the police can't come into to your home and search your paperwork without a warrant, but can perfectly legally seize your phone and download everything.

The sobering part Wowzz is this statement ..

(Millie Graham Wood, Privacy International)

As Millie Graham Wood, a solicitor at Privacy International, states: “You could search a person, and their entire home, and never find anywhere near as much information as you could from searching their phone. Yet the police can take data from your phone without your consent, without your knowledge and without a warrant.” :classic_ohmy:

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

We are currently having lunch at the Borrowdale hotel before going into Keswick to look around the market,shops etc.

I have brought Pauline's late dad's walking stick in case my foot starts to hurt while I'm standing watching Pauline shop🤫

Graham.

IMG-20200924-WA0000.jpg

IMG_20200924_123847.jpg

lovely picture of you both , enjoy your lunch out and Pauline gets plenty of shopping 🛍 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

My understanding is that blue tooth is always active and does not need data to be switched on  plus when using home, or any other free wi fi, the app will download and upload any relevant data.

On our phones we have to switch wi-fi and blue tooth on/ off.

Leaving them on drains the power faster. As you can see they are off and hardly ever use bluetooth these days.

20200924_141548.thumb.jpg.f38292811d6b86d4aeb3e2c79c2da19d.jpg

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

IMG-20200924-WA0000.jpg

IMG_20200924_123847.jpg

A very nice piece of fish you have there Graham.

Avril

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

You think he's still going to be PM at Christmas? He's apparently pretty unhappy at the moment, not the job he was expecting it to be, and not enough income to cover his rather considerable outgoings. Apparently he even has to buy his own food!

My money's on a resignation at some point, probably after things hit home on 1 January, using long Covid as a convenient excuse, before others take the initiative.

In that case he'll be able to give Father Christmas an exemption on the app before he goes.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kalos said:

On our phones we have to switch wi-fi and blue tooth on/ off.

Leaving them on drains the power faster. As you can see they are off and hardly ever use bluetooth these days.

20200924_141548.thumb.jpg.f38292811d6b86d4aeb3e2c79c2da19d.jpg

I leave my phone switched on 24/7 with bluetooth and wifi always on, but data off because it's a PAYG, and even though I use it all day for posting on here, emails and web searches, as well as watching some footie on Skygo, it rarely goes below 30% power left. I then charge it up in the morning, and with Samsung fast charging, it takes about an hour to top it up.

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I leave my phone switched on 24/7 with bluetooth and wifi always on, but data off because it's a PAYG, and even though I use it all day for posting on here, emails and web searches, as well as watching some footie on Skygo, it rarely goes below 30% power left. I then charge it up in the morning, and with Samsung fast charging, it takes about an hour to top it up.

These days both been at home,we use our note books and smart TV for all that you do.

Sometimes we use Wi-fi on the phones but apart from that the phones only do texts and phone calls.

I tend to charge it once a week but possibly sooner if I  have used WI-FI.

Same as you John  I went PAYG years ago and it's one of the old tariffs where as long as you have a balance

I get to keep it . Last time I did a top up was about a year ago when I went in hospital,my balance to date is

£3.32p. What I like is when I put a tenner on it they give me £1 credit as a reward.:classic_smile:

The house phone gives us free mobile calls ,so our mobile phones get very little use apart from incoming calls.

41 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The only time we use Bluetooth in our bubble is when we get in the car. DW's iPhone connects to my car and then all her music starts. Quite a noisy little bubble. Actually a bubble car.😁

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, kalos said:

These days both been at home,we use our note books and smart TV for all that you do.

Sometimes we use Wi-fi on the phones but apart from that the phones only do texts and phone calls.

I tend to charge it once a week but possibly sooner if I  have used WI-FI.

Same as you John  I went PAYG years ago and it's one of the old tariffs where as long as you have a balance

I get to keep it . Last time I did a top up was about a year ago when I went in hospital,my balance to date is

£3.32p. What I like is when I put a tenner on it they give me £1 credit as a reward.:classic_smile:

The house phone gives us free mobile calls ,so our mobile phones get very little use apart from incoming calls.

Kalos I keep wondering if I should stop paying for the free calls on the landline which adds £10 to my Sky bill, and go for a sim only deal for the mobile which would give me unlimited calls and texts and a minimum of 1gb/month of data, which would rollover unused data building up enough for me not to worry about finding free wi-fi while on holiday, all for £6/month. That of course assumes cruising ever returns.

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Kalos I keep wondering if I should stop paying for the free calls on the landline which adds £10 to my Sky bill, and go for a sim only deal for the mobile which would give me unlimited calls and texts and a minimum of 1gb/month of data, which would rollover unused data building up enough for me not to worry about finding free wi-fi while on holiday, all for £6/month. That of course assumes cruising ever returns.

With a little negotiation, John, you can get a deal from Three giving unlimited calls and texts, plus 4GB data for a fiver a month. Doubtless from other networks too, but Three gives us good coverage locally.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Sounds a winner to me John but only you can decide .:classic_smile: