P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

23 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Kalos I keep wondering if I should stop paying for the free calls on the landline which adds £10 to my Sky bill, and go for a sim only deal for the mobile which would give me unlimited calls and texts and a minimum of 1gb/month of data, which would rollover unused data building up enough for me not to worry about finding free wi-fi while on holiday, all for £6/month. That of course assumes cruising ever returns.

A couple of years ago we both swapped our PAYG mobiles for SIM only deals cheaper than paying for free calls on the landline and find it much more flexible as we were going on more holidays. The only people who now use the landline are my SIL and that nice person who keeps calling to tell me about a problem with my computer! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SeaJane said:

A couple of years ago we both swapped our PAYG mobiles for SIM only deals cheaper than paying for free calls on the landline and find it much more flexible as we were going on more holidays. The only people who now use the landline are my SIL and that nice person who keeps calling to tell me about a problem with my computer! 

PAYG would be good, spart from the fact that we have virtually no mobile coverage out here in the sticks.

29 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

With a little negotiation, John, you can get a deal from Three giving unlimited calls and texts, plus 4GB data for a fiver a month. Doubtless from other networks too, but Three gives us good coverage locally.

I agree there are probably better deals around Harry,  but I rather like the rollover of unused data, which I think is only an O2 feature, which Sky use, and Sky do have offers sometimes which give bigger data on the cheapest sim package, plus Sky VIP sometimes offers extra data as well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

PAYG would be good, spart from the fact that we have virtually no mobile coverage out here in the sticks.

You would think living on the Lincolnshire flatlands that you would have fantastic mobile coverage, don't they have mobile masts on Lincoln cathedral?

20 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I agree there are probably better deals around Harry,  but I rather like the rollover of unused data, which I think is only an O2 feature, which Sky use, and Sky do have offers sometimes which give bigger data on the cheapest sim package, plus Sky VIP sometimes offers extra data as well.

My apologies, John - I hadn't spotted that you'd already found a good deal at £6pm.  🙂

19 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You would think living on the Lincolnshire flatlands that you would have fantastic mobile coverage, don't they have mobile masts on Lincoln cathedral?

You do realise he lives under a bridge hence the service not very good 🤪

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Doesn't seem to work like that; very patchy in the flatlands of Norfolk as well.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Kalos I keep wondering if I should stop paying for the free calls on the landline which adds £10 to my Sky bill, and go for a sim only deal for the mobile which would give me unlimited calls and texts and a minimum of 1gb/month of data, which would rollover unused data building up enough for me not to worry about finding free wi-fi while on holiday, all for £6/month. That of course assumes cruising ever returns.

I finally relented back in March when our internet was down for 2 weeks and got a sim only deal. I ran out of data on my phone so quickly without using my house WiFi - now I have masses of data for about 5 or 6 pounds a month less as well as unlimited phone calls and texts!

6 hours ago, brian1 said:

Boris will suspend it at Christmas,he doesn't want to be the PM that banned it,lol.

The last person to “ban Christmas” was Oliver Cromwell,  which isn’t strictly true the Puritans drew up laws which banned feasting at Christmas, Easter & Whitsun and no special Christmas Day services were permitted in church, it was day to be spent in solemn Contemplation.

Even though he was dead when Charles II was restored hew was dug up, drawn & quartered and his head placed on spike outside Westminster Hall. His head vanished at some point in early 1700s and resurfaced in 1961, which was subsequently buried in a secret location near Sidney College Chapel.

I doubt Johnson will suffer the same fate physically, but his current disdain for the law mirrors that of Cromwell and his cronies. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

The last person to “ban Christmas” was Oliver Cromwell,  which isn’t strictly true the Puritans drew up laws which banned feasting at Christmas, Easter & Whitsun and no special Christmas Day services were permitted in church, it was day to be spent in solemn Contemplation.

Even though he was dead when Charles II was restored hew was dug up, drawn & quartered and his head placed on spike outside Westminster Hall. His head vanished at some point in early 1700s and resurfaced in 1961, which was subsequently buried in a secret location near Sidney College Chapel.

I doubt Johnson will suffer the same fate physically, but his current disdain for the law mirrors that of Cromwell and his cronies. 

Spot on.  Well said that man!  🙂

• Like 2

Off subject but hoping someone can advise. We’ve had our NYE cruise cancelled which means we are looking to rebook for a different cruise later next year now. We are still waiting for a refund from a different cruise with P&O cancelled previously and so I was wondering if you can cancel your refund and revert back to the 125% FCC offer? Has anyone done/tried this? Thanks a lot 

Edited by joeecco

14 minutes ago, joeecco said:

Off subject but hoping someone can advise. We’ve had our NYE cruise cancelled which means we are looking to rebook for a different cruise later next year now. We are still waiting for a refund from a different cruise with P&O cancelled previously and so I was wondering if you can cancel your refund and revert back to the 125% FCC offer? Has anyone done/tried this? Thanks a lot 

You could ring P&O or your TA if you use one.

Personally I would just take the refund.

Graham.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

John, mobile phone signals aren't that strong. If they were that strong,  any other electrical equipment with 800 yards would frazzle (you can see I'm no expert!). Ironically, although we have virtually no mobile signal, we have fantastic internet speed, with the latest cabling.

PS - I'm ignoring the bridge comment.  I'm assuming it was a poor joke. 

3 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Spot on - BoJo seems to think that not only UK laws, but also international laws, do not apply to him.

No real surprise really, as he has always  been a stranger to truth. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

With a little negotiation, John, you can get a deal from Three giving unlimited calls and texts, plus 4GB data for a fiver a month. Doubtless from other networks too, but Three gives us good coverage locally.

If you factor in cashback, you can get unlimited calls and texts, and 8gb of data (including 5G) for £4 pm if you factor in the cashback (£8 pm if you dont factor that in.)  

{If you do not mind playing the cashback gamme, you can get an EE sim with unlimited calls/data and 1gb data for £2.67 a month.}

Edited by davemorton
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, davemorton said:

If you factor in cashback, you can get unlimited calls and texts, and 8gb of data (including 5G) for £4 pm if you factor in the cashback (£8 pm if you dont factor that in.)  

{If you do not mind playing the cashback gamme, you can get an EE sim with unlimited calls/data and 1gb data for £2.67 a month.}

But, won't you need a broadband provider as well, plus a landline,  or am I missing something? 

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But, won't you need a broadband provider as well, plus a landline,  or am I missing something? 

For that one yes you would still need home broadband, but landline no, if you are happy just using your mobile.  I have not had a landline for years, it was only getting used by sales calls/scam calls.  I now have a £13.50 sim that gets me unlimited everything, and gives me broadband speeds so no need for broadband or landline. 

7 minutes ago, davemorton said:

For that one yes you would still need home broadband, but landline no, if you are happy just using your mobile.  I have not had a landline for years, it was only getting used by sales calls/scam calls.  I now have a £13.50 sim that gets me unlimited everything, and gives me broadband speeds so no need for broadband or landline. 

How do you watch Netflix then?

1 minute ago, davemorton said:

Yes, just use the phone as a hotspot.  No different to wireless. 

OK, I'm not sure that the speed would be fast enough to watch without buffering. And, as I mentioned before, with no mobile signal, we really need a landline, unless we go down the Skype route.

Thanks for your input.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

OK, I'm not sure that the speed would be fast enough to watch without buffering. And, as I mentioned before, with no mobile signal, we really need a landline, unless we go down the Skype route.

Thanks for your input.

The speed I get is quicker than the basic broadband packages in the area. I usually get a speed of 20+.  Another option if there is a decent data sim deal is to buy a sim card router.  So basically it is exactly the same as having wireless broadband in the home, but your route has a sim card inside it, instead of plugging into the phone line. Obviously, all dependant on signal/speed in your area.