P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

12 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

You would think living on the Lincolnshire flatlands that you would have fantastic mobile coverage, don't they have mobile masts on Lincoln cathedral?

I think they're disguised as crosses.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

The last person to “ban Christmas” was Oliver Cromwell,  which isn’t strictly true the Puritans drew up laws which banned feasting at Christmas, Easter & Whitsun and no special Christmas Day services were permitted in church, it was day to be spent in solemn Contemplation.

Even though he was dead when Charles II was restored hew was dug up, drawn & quartered and his head placed on spike outside Westminster Hall. His head vanished at some point in early 1700s and resurfaced in 1961, which was subsequently buried in a secret location near Sidney College Chapel.

I doubt Johnson will suffer the same fate physically, but his current disdain for the law mirrors that of Cromwell and his cronies. 

I think he has a more Cavalier attitude myself.

• Haha 1

Any of you Kent guys been to Penshurst Place.I had a school trip there when I was at primary school.Years later I worked in the area and thought it was a lovely area,even the village is in the Tudor style.May be preaching to the converted but just a thought,cheers,Brian.

• Like 1

Any of you Kent guys been to Penshurst Place.I had a school trip there when I was at primary school.Years later I worked in the area and thought it was a lovely area,even the village is in the Tudor style.May be preaching to the converted but just a thought,cheers,Brian.

Penshurst Place is lovely, I haven’t been there for a few years. One of my favourite Kent places is Hever Castle, very beautiful, definitely worth a visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, davemorton said:

The speed I get is quicker than the basic broadband packages in the area. I usually get a speed of 20+.  Another option if there is a decent data sim deal is to buy a sim card router.  So basically it is exactly the same as having wireless broadband in the home, but your route has a sim card inside it, instead of plugging into the phone line. Obviously, all dependant on signal/speed in your area.  

Thanks again for the information. The sim card router looks like the way to go. Got about another 15 months on my BT contract,  so will do some more investigation  in the interim.  

18 hours ago, wowzz said:

Perhaps you can explain how you re-fill the supply chain in less than 7 days with the "pick to zero" system used by the retailers? Can you also tell us where all the addition transport can be found, plus drivers, to cope with the spike in demand? The requirement as you are no doubt aware, is two fold - firstly to get the product  to the distribution centres, and then secondly to move the product to the stores. So, two lots of extra vehicles and two lots of extra drivers.

Perhaps I should have said "reacted with restrictions on the number of units each shpper can buy..."

You are completely correct, the supermarkets couldn't keep up with stockpiling shoppers the first time panic buying occurred.

22 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Thanks again for the information. The sim card router looks like the way to go. Got about another 15 months on my BT contract,  so will do some more investigation  in the interim.  

I will have to take another look at the non landline options. I have BT broadband via fibre optic to the local comms box and then copper cable to the house. The phone gets very little use so why not change to mobile? I have an EE PAYG mobile and the local mast is about 500 metres away with line of sight. They do have a home router which provides 'broadband' access via the EE network. I need to check my monthly average data usage to see if i can get a cheaper deal than BT

29 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But if you have poor mobile service won't that mean you will get no broadband either?

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

The phone gets very little use so why not change to mobile?

I would do in an instant, but the mobile signal around here is just hopeless. Just trying to get a OTP by text  from my bank entails me walking around the house and garden,  waving my phone in the air, trying to pick up a tiny bit of signal! 

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I would do in an instant, but the mobile signal around here is just hopeless. Just trying to get a OTP by text  from my bank entails me walking around the house and garden,  waving my phone in the air, trying to pick up a tiny bit of signal! 

Have you tried all 4 networks?

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But if you have poor mobile service won't that mean you will get no broadband either?

Yes, John, you are correct, unless Dave knows anything different.

I should obviously have realised that myself!  

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

Have you tried all 4 networks?

I'm on Vodafone,  my wife is with O2, and both are pretty useless.  The coverage map shows that the other two providers aren't much better. I doubt any of them are currently good enough to provide the speed and width we need to stream Netflix, iplayer,  deezer etc. 

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

There’s an obvious downside to having no landline and relying solely on a mobile signal, costly though it may be - no alternative when there are transmitter problems, and we get those fairly often.

That's true. Call me old fashioned,  but I do like the idea of a physical,  wired connection.  

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That's true. Call me old fashioned,  but I do like the idea of a physical,  wired connection.  

I suppose it depends whether you have more than one transmitter. We don’t, and when it’s down it’s usually for a couple of days, whatever complaints you make, through whichever channels.

The landline’s rock solid, we have ethernet connections, and there’s no way I’d trust just a mobile connection. The internet connection is almost as important now as the energy supplies, particularly the way things are now.

• Like 1

In my job I often have to confirm telephone numbers, it’s amazing how many people only have a mobile now- and not just the young. I find a lot of over 60’s do too. I can’t quite make the break from my landline yet, even my mum prefers me phoning her mobile now so she can sit in her chair! (Yes I know she could have cordless but they didn’t like the sound on it and went back to a corded one 🙄)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Like Sarah it’s a while since I’ve been, probably because it’s not NT! It is lovely though and I remember a marvellous rose garden.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

In my job I often have to confirm telephone numbers, it’s amazing how many people only have a mobile now- and not just the young. I find a lot of over 60’s do too. I can’t quite make the break from my landline yet, even my mum prefers me phoning her mobile now so she can sit in her chair! (Yes I know she could have cordless but they didn’t like the sound on it and went back to a corded one 🙄)

The only time our Landline is used is when Pauline phones her cousin in Australia and our Broadband contract allows unlimited calls up to 1 hour then you disconnect and ring Australia again

I prefer my mobile for calls and internet plus when using WhatsApp you can get free overseas calls, picture messaging and facetime.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I am not sure how many gb we currently use for normal web usage plus the downloads we make on our catch up and box sets, but I guess it would need far more than the basic sim package. So not sure we would ever want to switch over entirely to mobile broadband, and if when we eventually replace the TV with a UHD version and maybe start thinking about getting Netflix or Amazon, our broadband demand would go even higher.

I guess we will be staying with a landline for quite some time at least for broadband, although we might eventually cancel the talk package if  I eventually switch to a sim deal.

Edited by terrierjohn

To a certain extent, it is a fear of the unknown! We, touch wood, have totally reliable, very fast broadband, and unlimited free phone calls. Yes, I know we pay for the privilege,  but I'm prepared to do so. The aggravation of change, especially to a possibly worse service, is not that attractive.

Conversely,  our mobile phone costs amount to about £10 a year, between both of us! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I suppose it depends whether you have more than one transmitter. We don’t, and when it’s down it’s usually for a couple of days, whatever complaints you make, through whichever channels.

The landline’s rock solid, we have ethernet connections, and there’s no way I’d trust just a mobile connection. The internet connection is almost as important now as the energy supplies, particularly the way things are now.

I thought my landline was rock solid but right at the beginning of lockdown we went about 2 and a half weeks without ours and, therefore, no internet! What a time to not have internet!! That’s when I was glad for my mobile and why I went to a sim only deal as I was racing through the data on my phone! 

Luckily it was fixed 1 day before I got my work PC and phone ready to work from home. They are both plugged into my router! It’s crazy I just push the 4 digit number to transfer a call like I would in the office and I am through to the office or someone else working from home!

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

OK, I'm not sure that the speed would be fast enough to watch without buffering. And, as I mentioned before, with no mobile signal, we really need a landline, unless we go down the Skype route.

Thanks for your input.

depending on what mobile device you have you could do 4g calling that’s linked to your bt broadband using the WiFi. 

some people are better off on a sim if they are in a slow speed area but most people for usage now need fibre broadband. Not a lot need a landline though

Funny enough the top broadband package I used to sell 12 years ago was 10gb of data! And some had 2mg speed. How times have changed. 

I wouldn’t go onto mobile broadband. We used about 500-800gb a month usage as we don’t have live tv. 

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Count me in as well. If the broadband were to go down at least we have the landline to

fall back on  for contact and over the years only once have I had a landline fault  meaning

no broadband as well.

I still had my PAYG mobile data to fall back on but that was expensive.

Recently my daughter decided to jump ship and move providers as she thought they would 

all be the same .So she signed up with the company that " Does you Proud " but the problem is 

they are not doing her proud, it keeps dropping the signal.The two grand kids are avid gamers 

and her and hubby like surfing and Netflix. She tells me it was the worst thing ever and the 

company don't want to know as the speed does not drop all of the time.:classic_wacko:

I like to use this site to see what's down. Simply click on the logo of your provider and if you

scroll down further you can check outages on Netflix, YouTube ,games and many more .

https://istheservicedown.co.uk/companies  :classic_smile: