P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

14 hours ago, kalos said:

I got Wowzz to jet wash it for me ,looks great and we are nearly ready for bookings .

So will be taking Christmas & New Year bookings for our 2029 season ! :classic_smile:

Not long now folks :classic_unsure:

Our son will be 19 by then so we won't be restricted by school holidays or adult only cruises - count us in! Can we pay by instalments? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Have a nice journey/holiday  Wowzz .Remember to follow any bye laws whilst down there ,like 

go to bed at 10pm and no harassing any grockles as the are out of season now.

Have a good time :classic_smile: 

No closed season for grockles here - unlike pheasants, we don't want them breeding...😄

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Anyone know how to make mortar for a patio?

am I right in 4 parts sand 1 part cement and water ?

Many years ago I was laying slabs at East Midland Airport & Meadowhall .

We worked to 3 shovels of sand & 1 cement which was laid dry about 60mm thick

level out with a spirit level before carefully laying the slabs ,tapping down where required

or packing some of the mix under the slabs to level up .

We left them overnight to settle and if all were level then we got a little more mix and brushed/

swept it into gaps between the slabs . keep off it for a day and the job should be a good one .:classic_smile:

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We are having a drive today and called at Gretna Green Scotland.

Hope you have a great day, with some good weather too, Graham (and Pauline of course). Good to see you’re both very much enjoying yourselves - and the food!

The high spot here is a Waitrose delivery tomorrow, with a real hard copy newspaper for a real treat! And croissants for a breakfast treat!

Holidays will have to wait until there’s some effective way of dealing with our friendly neighbourhood virus, but on the plus side the cancelled cruises are funding the new patio, and the late autumn summerhouse arriving next week - one very excited wife.

Harry

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Hope you have a great day, with some good weather too, Graham (and Pauline of course). Good to see you’re both very much enjoying yourselves - and the food!

The high spot here is a Waitrose delivery tomorrow, with a real hard copy newspaper for a real treat! And croissants for a breakfast treat!

Holidays will have to wait until there’s some effective way of dealing with our friendly neighbourhood virus, but on the plus side the cancelled cruises are funding the new patio, and the late autumn summerhouse arriving next week - one very excited wife.

Harry

I know how you feel Harry my treat from the supermarket van was nice buttery hot crumpets .

My days work was phoning up my energy supplier to tell them no I still don't want or need  a smart 

meter as I renewed my energy tariff saving well over £100 pa and no exit fees should I want to move.

I see you say Mrs H is looking rather happy/exited at the arrival of the autumn summer house .

If your clothes seem to be disappearing out of the marital home it could be that they are now in your

new home Harry .:classic_unsure::classic_smile: Enjoy :classic_smile:

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

I know how you feel Harry my treat from the supermarket van was nice buttery hot crumpets .

My days work was phoning up my energy supplier to tell them no I still don't want or need  a smart 

meter as I renewed my energy tariff saving well over £100 pa and no exit fees should I want to move.

I see you say Mrs H is looking rather happy/exited at the arrival of the autumn summer house .

If your clothes seem to be disappearing out of the marital home it could be that they are now in your

new home Harry .:classic_unsure::classic_smile: Enjoy :classic_smile:

Funny you should say that, Kalos.  I did challenge her on that after my wardrobe disappeared, but she said she was just making some interesting low cost curtains for the summerhouse?

Should I be worried?  Should I take this up with Saga’s excellent new Agony Uncle, Alan Johnson?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Many years ago I was laying slabs at East Midland Airport & Meadowhall .

We worked to 3 shovels of sand & 1 cement which was laid dry about 60mm thick

level out with a spirit level before carefully laying the slabs ,tapping down where required

or packing some of the mix under the slabs to level up .

We left them overnight to settle and if all were level then we got a little more mix and brushed/

swept it into gaps between the slabs . keep off it for a day and the job should be a good one .:classic_smile:

Such a timely conversation, I had a new patio laid yesterday seeing the old one was taken up for the conservatory. The guys also relaid the existing slabs from the path which was basically extended. They had to build it up as the garden slopes away, but they said don't walk on it or put heavy objects onto it for 24 hours.

718AEA0A-4B6F-4C7A-A857-6E10FCAC89DC.jpeg

BAF2F24C-C3B0-4E38-9A99-C206D04F6E26.jpeg

Edited by peteukmcr
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Harry

Thanks Harry.

46 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Completely and utterly off topic, Harry, but have you read Michael Deacon in today's Torygraph*? Wonderful stuff.🤣

*This post assumes that Mrs P has been good enough to install wi-fi in your lovely new home. 

Annie, you're so right.  I've read it now - beautifully written, and spot on.  And when a Conservative Prime Minister's lost the support of the Torygraph he must know he's in deep trouble.

I particularly liked the bit about voters being completely out of touch with the legitimate concerns of ordinary, decent Prime Ministers just about getting by on a measly £150,000 a year. Have you ever tried living on £150,000 a year?

It is a bit unfair I suppose - his having even to pay for his own food, and not being even able to afford a nanny.  Tough life for some - still, to be fair, he didn't really want the job, did he, and he had to be pressured into taking it.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

Such a timely conversation, I had a new patio laid yesterday seeing the old one was taken up for the conservatory. The guys also relaid the existing slabs from the path which was basically extended. They had to build it up as the garden slopes away, but they said don't walk on it or put heavy objects onto it for 24 hours.

718AEA0A-4B6F-4C7A-A857-6E10FCAC89DC.jpeg

BAF2F24C-C3B0-4E38-9A99-C206D04F6E26.jpeg

Nice patio, Pete.  I wonder how many of us have been busily spending cruise refunds on garden projects like that? And conservatories.  Building prices have been sky high since April - more work than builders to do it.  Sounds like the redoubtable Vamps has got the right idea!

36 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

It is a bit unfair I suppose - his having even to pay for his own food, and not being even able to afford a nanny.  Tough life for some - still, to be fair, he didn't really want the job, did he, and he had to be pressured into taking it.

Not just the one nanny, Harry. Several, exact number unknown, probably even by Boris...

Edited by AnnieC
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Nice patio, Pete.  I wonder how many of us have been busily spending cruise refunds on garden projects like that? And conservatories.  Building prices have been sky high since April - more work than builders to do it.  Sounds like the redoubtable Vamps has got the right idea!

Well that’s what we’ve done, 3 cruises plus some savings have funded the conservatory and patio! Everywhere you go you can see home improvements taking place from new windows, porches, extensions to garden upgrades. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

The refunds for our two cancelled cruises go back in the holiday fund to be used in 2022, least that way we know the holidays are covered.

We will be spending ours on our 2021 holidays. All be over by Christmas,😁

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We are having a drive today and called at Gretna Green Scotland.

It is cold and windy.

Graham.

IMG_20200926_123056.jpg

Graham

My husband and I got married there in 1992.  His mother was from Aberdeen and my father was from Edinburgh and we just wanted a small ceremony, so we ran away to Scotland.  2 friends came and witnessed for us and then the four of us had a slap up meal at our hotel.  It was super.

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Graham

My husband and I got married there in 1992.  His mother was from Aberdeen and my father was from Edinburgh and we just wanted a small ceremony, so we ran away to Scotland.  2 friends came and witnessed for us and then the four of us had a slap up meal at our hotel.  It was super.

It is a romantic place Jean.

I remember you saying that you got married here when I posted a couple of weeks ago when we were last at Gretna which is about 85 miles from home for us so I took a few photos I thought you might like and remember.

Graham.

• Like 3