P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

8 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Have a really great, relaxing holiday.  Super county, great time of the year to go, and fewer problems on the M5 too.

Are you on the coast?

Yes, Seaton, on the south coast. 

Lovely quick trip down the M5. Had cruise control set at 77  for most of the journey! 

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yes, Seaton, on the south coast. 

Lovely quick trip down the M5. Had cruise control set at 77  for most of the journey! 

Nice area. Are there still rills running to the side of some of the streets, or is that in Beer? Used to like visiting when we lived in Somerset.

Plenty of nice places on that stretch of coastline. Sidmouth was our favourite, still relatively unchanged compared with a lot of places.

Tomorrow looks like a cracker of a day down there!

32 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Oh, they have a different speed limit on the M5 now do they😊

Andy 

They do when Wowzz  is driving :classic_unsure:

The traffic police once  stopped a man for speeding.

Police, “Do you know how fast you were going ? ”

“I was trying to keep up with traffic,” the man replied.

Police “But there is no traffic? ”

The man answered, " I know that’s how far behind I am " :classic_unsure:

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, kalos said:

Many years ago I was laying slabs at East Midland Airport & Meadowhall .

We worked to 3 shovels of sand & 1 cement which was laid dry about 60mm thick

level out with a spirit level before carefully laying the slabs ,tapping down where required

or packing some of the mix under the slabs to level up .

We left them overnight to settle and if all were level then we got a little more mix and brushed/

swept it into gaps between the slabs . keep off it for a day and the job should be a good one .:classic_smile:

think you should pop down road and come and do mine!

cant say we will ever attempt a patio again

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

How's it going then? Way beyond my limited DIY skills, but I have every admiration for those who can.

I do remember laying paving flags for a patio back in 1972 when we moved into our first new house, and I was young and keen, and fortunately had a next door neighbour who was far handier than I was.  I have quite a few memories of scavenging left over compo from the  building site, to use on the retaining wall for the patio, and putting my back out while unloading 3X2 slabs from the boot of my Marina, in those days boots went a long way down and had very high lips. 

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Nice area. Are there still rills running to the side of some of the streets, or is that in Beer? Used to like visiting when we lived in Somerset.

Plenty of nice places on that stretch of coastline. Sidmouth was our favourite, still relatively unchanged compared with a lot of places.

Tomorrow looks like a cracker of a day down there!

It was a lovely evening, but, bloody hell, it's cold in the rented caravan tonight! 

IMG_20200926_170542320.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

I'm guessing Wowzz has carefully calculated a fairly typical 10% speedometer overread. 

Correct - speedos normally over estimate by 5% or so, and the cameras don't trigger unless you are at least 5% over the odds, so 77 is around 70 in real money.

As an aside - we drove around 250 miles today,  and the only police car we saw was attending an accident on the opposite carriage way. I don't want to come over as an old f**t, but even 25 years ago there were plenty of traffic cops about in both marked and unmarked cars. (I got done in my Capri on the M1 around Sheffield back in 1981!)

My point is, that if there was a bit more of a police presence about, people might drive a bit better. And I don't mean driving slower - how about not driving at 50 mph in lane 2 when lane 1 is empty? Sheer nincompoopery! 

• Like 3

My view from my rented beach hut for the next 6 months, stayed until sunset and to see the ships lights come on, there were six ships but one disappeared , so you have jewel of the seas, Allure of the seas, Anthem of the seas,Explorer of the seas, and Aurora, celebrity Apex sailed away , my pictures of the night lights didn’t really come out well 

I will be down first thing in the morning for a Sunday fry up 😎

91DE9A9C-6F4B-457D-9DF3-D422E27E8B4B.jpeg

09ADBEFB-B952-400F-9CFF-9A657073200D.jpeg

ED83AED4-0BB5-47D7-AF29-93DD477E4847.jpeg

• Like 8

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

My point is, that if there was a bit more of a police presence about, people might drive a bit better. And I don't mean driving slower - how about not driving at 50 mph in lane 2 when lane 1 is empty? Sheer nincompoopery! 

That seems to be a peculiarly British thing.  Never encountered it on mainland Europe, where people overtake, then pull back into the original lane - particularly in Germany.  We seem to be a nation of bad, inconsiderate drivers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

How's it going then? Way beyond my limited DIY skills, but I have every admiration for those who can.

I honestly have no idea. Suppose we will tell when it’s stepped on. 

I have spend all my holiday money refunds on stuff for the house.

We have a new shower, a window put into the en suite. We have gravelled the front of the house since it was a strip of grass and drove me crazy cutting it. 
we paid for the front little path to the door and a patio from the french doors out to be done. Thought this was great when I looked at someone else’s. Stupid me didn’t realise that the stones would be slippery when wet then the step stones wobbled then we have found 6 other stones to wobble so we said next time we would try it ourselves instead. 

so for the last 13 days hubby has worked flat out. When he started these jobs I’m not sure we knew how much work it would take but the grass was very sloped so sleepers have been put in to divide it, got a machine to churn all the soil and most of it was stones 🙄 moved all the soil from the bottom to the top to level it. Put in another sleeper for the next patio and a step. Redid the fence and painted it. Built the shower cabin and started patio. 
you would think on paper that it’s not a lot but my god the amount of soil and hardcore your moving and levelling and compacting. 
the stupid hire compactor didn’t work but luckily he fixed it cos he’s good with machines. Problem is people wanted thousands to do all this and it’s definitely not cost that much but it’s a lot of

hard work.
think he will be glad to get back to work after all this  

9 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

think you should pop down road and come and do mine!

cant say we will ever attempt a patio again

I wish I was healthy enough to do such jobs Vamps but all that changed a year ago (52 Sundays ago):classic_sad:

A good plumb line,Spirit level and arms like Popeye to hump all those paving slabs around helps .:classic_smile:

Providing your happy with your new patio Then the jobs a good one .:classic_smile:

As you say :-

Problem is people wanted thousands to do all this and it’s definitely not cost that much but it’s a lot of

hard work.

Now you know why they wanted thousands :classic_wink:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I honestly have no idea. Suppose we will tell when it’s stepped on. 

I have spend all my holiday money refunds on stuff for the house.

We have a new shower, a window put into the en suite. We have gravelled the front of the house since it was a strip of grass and drove me crazy cutting it. 
we paid for the front little path to the door and a patio from the french doors out to be done. Thought this was great when I looked at someone else’s. Stupid me didn’t realise that the stones would be slippery when wet then the step stones wobbled then we have found 6 other stones to wobble so we said next time we would try it ourselves instead. 

so for the last 13 days hubby has worked flat out. When he started these jobs I’m not sure we knew how much work it would take but the grass was very sloped so sleepers have been put in to divide it, got a machine to churn all the soil and most of it was stones 🙄 moved all the soil from the bottom to the top to level it. Put in another sleeper for the next patio and a step. Redid the fence and painted it. Built the shower cabin and started patio. 
you would think on paper that it’s not a lot but my god the amount of soil and hardcore your moving and levelling and compacting. 
the stupid hire compactor didn’t work but luckily he fixed it cos he’s good with machines. Problem is people wanted thousands to do all this and it’s definitely not cost that much but it’s a lot of

hard work.
think he will be glad to get back to work after all this  

Wow!  That’s impressive. You’ll have saved an absolute fortune. There was a time when we might have tackled some (not all!) of that, but these days it’s just not possible and I’m still reeling from the cost of the patio a few weeks back.

My skills have always been seriously limited (wife rather better) though, and it’s usually cheaper to pay for the job to be done properly than sort out the mess I’ve made of it.

• Like 1

I wish I could also go somewhere and book a hut.. not necessarily by the beach. It could be mountains or a desert view. The number one priority in this case would be just being alone with an internet access and an ability to order food there. Such a perfect place to stay during all those crises  

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I wish I could also go somewhere and book a hut.. not necessarily by the beach. It could be mountains or a desert view. The number one priority in this case would be just being alone with an internet access and an ability to order food there. Such a perfect place to stay during all those crises  

Good morning Roger - or, if you are in the USA, middle of the night!  It would be lovely to have a sentence or two about you and how you came to choose this UK group of folk to connect with.  Best wishes to you even if you choose not to reveal a little more, and good luck finding your own little oasis in these times.

Edited by mrsgoggins
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

That seems to be a peculiarly British thing.  Never encountered it on mainland Europe, where people overtake, then pull back into the original lane - particularly in Germany.  We seem to be a nation of bad, inconsiderate drivers.

I don't know if I totally agree. The Spanish are  terrible drivers as a whole, and the Italians aren't much better. 

• Like 1