P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

9 minutes ago, pete14 said:

If yours is normally collected next week you will be fine. Our next collection would have been a week on a Thursday and by then they will have finished for the winter. 

Hubby says that we are the same time as you - will have to take some stuff out - nothing major. Proper Autumnal day here with rain, windy, leaves blowing etc. Really want to have a walk around the park so hope it clears up over the coming days. 

31 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Can I ask where about you are?

Really feel for the Welsh at the moment -------- take care and stay sane.

Stay on here - you'll find loads of people to chat with over the coming 16 days (now)

Thank you! We’re south Gwynedd. I think this all-Wales lockdown is better than the partial lockdown of the past few weeks. I work from home anyway so no worries there and we’ve had a full house since March with all the children home so plenty of chat too. We’ve got family all round us so extremely lucky. Two of ours are working from home and one is a teacher now on half term but only years 7 and 8 will return after the break. I do the odd day of supply but I’ve declined all offers since March - too much hassle.

17 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Thank you! We’re south Gwynedd. I think this all-Wales lockdown is better than the partial lockdown of the past few weeks. I work from home anyway so no worries there and we’ve had a full house since March with all the children home so plenty of chat too. We’ve got family all round us so extremely lucky. Two of ours are working from home and one is a teacher now on half term but only years 7 and 8 will return after the break. I do the odd day of supply but I’ve declined all offers since March - too much hassle.

Great that you have family around you. 🙂 Gwynedd had escaped a lock down to date hasn't it ? May be wrong.

I spent 3 years at Uni in Lampeter - I loved every second of my time there many moons ago. My parents lived in Halkyn (near Holywell) for 22 years so Wales always feels like my real home in so many ways as we seemed to spend more time there than in Stoke on Trent. Ironically, when my dad died we were sorting old papers out and discovered that my great grandmother was from Mold so I was well chuffed !   (I am a singer so attribute that to the  bit of Welsh in me ;-))

I have a good friend who lives in Pembrokshire so we are keeping in touch

We have recerntly bought a caravan in Llanddulas and feel for everyone there.

Just love Wales, love the people, the culture and everything about it. Wales is very much in out thoughts at the moment and can not wait to return again.

Take care and stay sane ----- can not wait to return when we can ........... just hope it isn't when we bring a daffy in March !!!

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Our last brown bin collection is November 27th because our council was late starting brown bin collection.

I assume you mean the garden recycling? because our bins are green. If so, we have two more collections, the last being Novemer 20th

Avril

3 hours ago, pete14 said:

If yours is normally collected next week you will be fine. Our next collection would have been a week on a Thursday and by then they will have finished for the winter. 

Didn"t you know that people in Stoke on Trent don't do any gardening after the middle of October? Our last brown bin was 20th Oct and we didn't find out until 22nd after reading in the Sentinel that they were ending!  We still have all the leaves on the trees and grass that will need cutting if it stops raining. Then some councils can manage to collect all year round!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, pete14 said:

That was last Tuesday’s job for me because our last brown bin collection until Spring was last Thursday.

Our green bin, not brown here, is collected throughout the year, so no rush to fill it, good job given the rain over last few days, still got a lot of ivy to remove from garden wall where it has gone somewhat wild this year. 

Contents are composted local and reissued by the council throughout the borough.

Don't you just love it when a cruise forum starts discussing bin collections!

My poor old mum lives in fear of the dustman these days. If she puts anything in the wrong bin, they chuck it back in her front garden. Plus, all food waste, peelings etc, have to go in a special bin - no one is sure why, but the local fox  population has unfortunately multiplied enormously as a result, because the council didn't supply fox proof containers.

11 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I assume you mean the garden recycling? because our bins are green. If so, we have two more collections, the last being Novemer 20th

Avril

Yes.

Brown bin garden recycling.

Green bin general household rubbish 

Blue bin general household recycling.

Graham.

2 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Different here in Fylde

Green - garden rubbish

Blue - tins & bottles

Brown - paper

Black - general waste

Michelle

There is a black box for paper which fits inside our blue bins that all other recycling goes into.

6 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Different here in Fylde

Green - garden rubbish

Blue - tins & bottles

Brown - paper

Black - general waste

Michelle

I notuce you're in Yorkhire too but ours are slightly different.

Green - garden rubbish.

Blue - paper and cardboard.

Brown - tins and glass

Grey - general household waste.

Avril

10 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Our green bin, not brown here, is collected throughout the year, so no rush to fill it, good job given the rain over last few days, still got a lot of ivy to remove from garden wall where it has gone somewhat wild this year. 

Contents are composted local and reissued by the council throughout the borough.

Our council composts the garden rubbish and sells it, cheaply I might add, to anyone who  wants to go and collect it.  If Majortom's council did the same they maybe wouldn't have to charge extra for collecting it.

Avril

Here in Caerphilly Borough it goes like this.

Brown bin weekly for recycling

Black bin for general household fortnightly

Green food caddy weekly

Large green bags for garden waste weekly

Downside we are in 17 day firebreak!

M

Edited by hollyjess

I'm sure every council have their own colours when it comes to bins .

Ours are Black wheelie (glass &tins)  was the original bin  before recycling 

used to be open top blue box which was useless on a windy day.

Green wheelie  (paper & cardboard) Used to be a blue bag which was useless on a windy day.

Brown wheelie  (Garden waste )  Only given if you pay per year for it .

Pink lid/Black wheelie (household waste ) Fact    Our council spent a lot of time in meetings debating what 

colour the bin lid should be ending in a vote all in favour of PINK . Nice little expense earner for them :classic_wacko:

That's enough rubbish facts .:classic_unsure::classic_wink:

Edited by kalos
  • Haha 1

I live in Cheshire East (yes I know that my details show Southampton bit that's my spiritual home, although moved up north 35 years ago!), we have a 'dirty' wheelie bin collected fortnightly and recycling and a garden / food waste wheelie bin collected the alternate week. Fortunately garden waste is collected until 14th December and re-starts on 11th January so only a short break.

27 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Our council composts the garden rubbish and sells it, cheaply I might add, to anyone who  wants to go and collect it.  If Majortom's council did the same they maybe wouldn't have to charge extra for collecting it.

Avril

Our council has charged since 2016 to take away garden waste from April till November.

It was £32.50p this year.

Edited by grapau27

12 hours ago, majortom10 said:

We have 3 bins and a bag. Green - general rubbish, brown - garden waste, blue - glass, plastic and cans and then blue bag for paper, cardboard. Also from next year we are being charged extra £36 on top of council tax to empty brown bin.

I can see Stoke Council going the same way. If you are paying £36 are they collecting all year round or still stopping in Oct/Nov?

Interesting to see different approaches from different councils.

We put our general waste in bin bags, garden waste and waste from the composting caddy in a brown bin, paper recycling in a blue box, cans and plastics in bags that are provided.

All this is collected every Tuesday, year round, at no extra cost. 

19 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I live in Cheshire East (yes I know that my details show Southampton bit that's my spiritual home, although moved up north 35 years ago!), we have a 'dirty' wheelie bin collected fortnightly and recycling and a garden / food waste wheelie bin collected the alternate week. Fortunately garden waste is collected until 14th December and re-starts on 11th January so only a short break.

If you click on this icon on your avatar you can change any of your details.I have shown the icon on my avatar.

If you click on the second picture icon I have shown you can upload a photo to your avatar.

Graham

Screenshot_20201025_093340_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201025_093718_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by grapau27

19 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

Lol oh yes 😁 We went a couple of times in the summer and it was looking very bedraggled. The staff were moaning about the hours they had been asked to work within earshot of the customers. If they have got themselves sorted out now we will give them another try, I miss the old Bridgemere when it was family run, pre Wyevale.

I agree, Bridgemere was a magical place in the 1990s especially at Christmas pre Wyevale. Lost its character when it became part of a garden centre chain.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Our council has charged since 2016 to take away garden waste from April till November.

It was £32.50p this year.

Ours was £40 this year but as we resubscribed we only had to pay  pay a discounted rate of £37 for collections

throughout the year. Only January do they not collect .

54 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I notuce you're in Yorkhire too but ours are slightly different.

Green - garden rubbish.

Blue - paper and cardboard.

Brown - tins and glass

Grey - general household waste.

Avril

We were in Yorkshire until just under two years ago when we moved to Lytham St Annes in Lancashire. I don’t know how to change my personal info in CC

Michelle