P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

14 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Its probably the City Council - joke  😉

I thought that it was a good way of getting advice out I was looking for something specific on the Council Twitter feed when I saw it  but do many people use Twitter ?

Edited by Josy1953

13 hours ago, Presto2 said:

No one decorated around here but have seen loads of houses decorated today in Stoke on Trent and Cheshire. I think people are making it into something big because of Covid but hope they stay away ----- and particularly from our elderly residents

I haven't seen any decorations around here. Like you I hope that parents have enough sense to keep their children at home.  My friend who lives in Newcastle told me last night that she is putting a notice in her window to tell them not to knock because there are so many children living near to her but I'm not sure if they will take much notice. 

• Like 1

Something else to blame the Americans for... Halloween! We never used to go knocking on peoples doors, strangers at that. We used to carve our lanterns out of a large swede/turnip ( not going to start the argument) we didn't have pumpkins in those days, then have a walk around the local streets trying to scare each other. We would end up in my friends coal house which had been made into a den eating pomegranates and home made treacle toffee telling spooky stories. Happy Days 😃

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Something else to blame the Americans for... Halloween! We never used to go knocking on peoples doors, strangers at that. We used to carve our lanterns out of a large swede/turnip ( not going to start the argument) we didn't have pumpkins in those days, then have a walk around the local streets trying to scare each other. We would end up in my friends coal house which had been made into a den eating pomegranates and home made treacle toffee telling spooky stories. Happy Days 😃

Those were the days Rupert :classic_smile: Get yourself around to the Greengrocers and buy a turnip  the size of a bowling ball,

Then back home and carve it out whilst chomping on a piece  of raw turnip which I got a taste for.

Once done stick a candle inside it and stroll around the streets comparing each others handywork.

To this day I can still remember the "charred turnip " smell as the candle burnt away during the night.:classic_smile:

• Like 4

... and in deepest darkest Somerset we didn’t even have swedes/turnips.  At least they are human fodder.  We spoke nicely to the farmer to get a mangold-wurzle (is that right?) Anyway, we just called them mangolds (silent d) and spent a day of half term trying to make enough space for a bit of candle.

This wasn’t for hallowe’en though - we never did that.  I was part of the bonfire night tradition, along with half-raw potatoes in foil from the bonfire embers, and sparklers 🧨. Sometimes indoor fireworks 💥😳 Anybody remember them?

We never celebrated Halloween but we always had a bonfire and fireworks in our back garden. It was often combined with my brother's birthday party. Jacket potatoes weren't put in foil they went into the embers as they were, and then the ash was brushed off before we ate them.

Remember "penny for the guy" - you don't see many of them anymore!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

... and in deepest darkest Somerset we didn’t even have swedes/turnips.  At least they are human fodder.  We spoke nicely to the farmer to get a mangold-wurzle (is that right?) Anyway, we just called them mangolds (silent d) and spent a day of half term trying to make enough space for a bit of candle.

This wasn’t for hallowe’en though - we never did that.  I was part of the bonfire night tradition, along with half-raw potatoes in foil from the bonfire embers, and sparklers 🧨. Sometimes indoor fireworks 💥😳 Anybody remember them?

In our part of W Yorkshire it was only bonfire night that was celebrated, and of course mischief night the day before, just knocking on someone's door then hiding and watching them as they stood looking puzzled then annoyed, all harmless fun.

Then bonfire night was the main event, we kids had done the hard work going "chumping", that was collecting all the wood and old furniture for the bonfire, only to have the adults take over on the night itself, but probably a good thing they did, otherwise there could have been loads of accidents.

Happy days indeed with lots of parkin and treacle toffee, and oven baked potatoes.  But I still remember the taste of soot blacked baked potatoes, cooked in the fire embers the following day.

6 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Lazy birthday morning.

I put the radio on and a Beatles song When I'm 64 came on.

Quite appropriate today.🤫☹️🍺

Many happy returns and let’s hope by your next birthday things are a little more “normal”.

Hope you celebrating in style.
Gill x

• Thanks 1

how is everyone’s day?  It is absolutely filthy and wet here - so bad I’ve been driven to clean the oven 😳 or at least the oven racks; happily the oven cleans itself on a special ultra hot programme. All the greasy splashes go, replaced by shiny, grease-free surface and little flecks of ash.  Great!  But I have to remove the shelves & supports, so they still need cleaned the old fashioned way.  

Happy Birthday to this week’s birthday boys and girls 🎉 🎈 🎂 and safe journey to anyone lucky enough to be getting away.

Only 2 months till the days start lengthening! ☀️ 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Happy days indeed with lots of parkin and treacle toffee, and oven baked potatoes.  But I still remember the taste of soot blacked baked potatoes, cooked in the fire embers the following day.

Raking through the fire embers the following day.

Some of those spuds had almost turned to charcoal but it didn't stop us eating them .

I well remember mischief night and have a scar on my forehead to remind me.

We had been knocking on doors and running away, I ran for a passage in the dark and missed the entrance.

Ran straight into the corner of a brick wall knockout myself out resulting in several stiches, poetic justice I suppose, served me right.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

But I have to remove the shelves & supports, so they still need cleaned the old fashioned way.  

I use one of those kits you get from Wilko or Aldi (when on offer). The kit comes with a strong, sealable plastic bag. Shelves and supports go in the bag, then you pour in the acidic solution supplied, with 12 hours and the shelves come out sparkling. Just need a quick rinse. Magic!

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

It is absolutely filthy and wet here - so bad I’ve been driven to clean the oven 😳 or at least the oven racks; happily the oven cleans itself on a special ultra hot programme. All the greasy splashes go, replaced by shiny, grease-free surface and little flecks of ash.  Great!  But I have to remove the shelves & supports, so they still need cleaned the old fashioned way.

That was our weather yesterday and I too did the oven.  It must be catching!!