P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I studied it later as current affairs!. When does current end and history begin? Please discuss.

Well indeed, I studied it in the 1980’s, it was called ‘modern history’ and we started with the Russian revolution of 1917.

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I studied it later as current affairs!. When does current end and history begin? Please discuss.

I would assume the clue is in the word 'current'. In living memory. For instance, WW1 - history and  WW2 would be current affairs. Only a guess, so feel free to disagree. 

Avril

17 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks!  Never thought of that - great idea.  We've just had a supply of Cornish Gouda (!) delivered direct from the farm, our meat comes to the door from local butchers, so why not fish.

Just make sure you don't end up with the wrong frozen skates 😃

Frozen Skates

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I would assume the clue is in the word 'current'. In living memory. For instance, WW1 - history and  WW2 would be current affairs. Only a guess, so feel free to disagree. 

Avril

Children still study WW2 in History lessons today.I think even The Falklands and the Iran Crisis would be studied as History.I would think Current affairs would be events that are currently(or very recently )affecting us now but I am happy for others to disagree

52 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I remember them Harry, but my Guinness favourite was the toucan.

''Guinness Is Good For You'' and '' My Goodness, My Guinness''😉

Avril

Had a feeling you might, Avril.  Original at the Festival of Britain in 1951 (too early for both of us) but it then moved to Battersea Park, and a few more were made for seaside resorts.

Huge things, amazing pieces of engineering, must have cost tens of thousands in today’s terms, and the nearest equivalent now would be the Emett clock at the Victoria Centre in Nottingham.

2 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Children still study WW2 in History lessons today.I think even The Falklands and the Iran Crisis would be studied as History.I would think Current affairs would be events that are currently(or very recently )affecting us now but I am happy for others to disagree

My modern history is our last cruise.😩😭

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Yes old Jim had a few admirers, some might say he was out of this world.:classic_unsure:

Casting my mind back to when I was young was the sheer horror of the Aberfan pit tip

disaster. Living in a mining village I think it was felt more by the locals ,even though we lived 

over 190 miles away ,we felt their pain at that time. I was ten at the time .

I think I am a similar age to you, Kalos (21!) and my first real memory of something horrific on the News was the Aberfan mining disaster, probably because school age children were affected and I was at primary school.The other news I really remember (within a year or 2 of that ) was a Boxing Day Fire at a hotel in the small town where I lived.It made the headlines because eleven people died and subsequently  huge improvements in fire safety were made nationally  including fire safety doors.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I've cheated, sorry🥺 According to Professor Google ''In Britian an obvious definition would be the 30 year rule on the release of information''  I just hate not knowing, don't you? but who's to say the Prof is right either😉

Avril

Avril

Just now, Adawn47 said:

I've cheated, sorry🥺 According to Professor Google ''In Britian an obvious definition would be the 30 year rule on the release of information''  I just hate not knowing, don't you? but who's to say the Prof is right either😉

Avril

Avril

Must be a lot of teachers getting it wrong then!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Had a feeling you might, Avril.  Original at the Festival of Britain in 1951 (too early for both of us) but it then moved to Battersea Park, and a few more were made for seaside resorts.

Huge things, amazing pieces of engineering, must have cost tens of thousands in today’s terms, and the nearest equivalent now would be the Emett clock at the Victoria Centre in Nottingham.

Not that kind Harry, I thought you meant the pub advertising clocks, those I do remember. I've not seen that one though, It's amazing!!

Avril

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

No help needed, Kalos - been doing that since my parents kicked me out for wearing a donkey jacket!

Really !! Your parents were not up to date with the fashion of the day . 

In our village they were all the rage everyone wore them (even the women :classic_wink:)

They all had A designer label on them... Trying to remember the label ...?

I've remembered     N C B  :classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, kalos said:

In our village they were all the rage everyone wore them (even the women :classic_wink:)

You could get the restaurant donkey jacket. It had.   WIMPEY. on the back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

Good one! No mines dahn sarf, but plenty of dockers. Popular with students (cheap) but not popular with a mother expecting conformity. So I left home and joined the circus. 🤡

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Seems like ancient history. Watching Saturday kitchen. Just waiting for Gary to tell us when P&O start sailing again.🚣

Things are getting better , more vaccines are being made , spring is almost here and they have 

cancelled Britain's Got Talent .So there is light at the end of the tunnel !:classic_biggrin:

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

59 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Well indeed, I studied it in the 1980’s, it was called ‘modern history’ and we started with the Russian revolution of 1917.

Two old  ladies  are sitting on the deck of a cruise ship. The first one asks, “Have you read Marx?”
The other one replies, “Yes. I believe that comes from sitting on these wicker chairs too long .”

• Like 4
  • Haha 8