P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

15 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I’ve only sailed out of Southampton for a cruise.

I’ve had ‘mini cruises’ on Brittany ferries from Portsmouth and Plymouth, the Plymouth one was 30 hours down to Spain, lovely holiday. Saw a film in the tiny cinema but spent most of the time sitting on deck.

Also been on cross channel ferries from Dover, Ramsgate and Newhaven.

The worse one sea sickness wise was the Poole to Guernsey Condor ferry, I’d go again though!

LOL,mine was Weymouth to Jersey in the 80s gale force 8,2 families with 4 kids in pushchairs.I was Jack the lad drinking pints while everyone was being sick.Half hour later I was joining them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, purplesea said:

With regards accents we used to live in the north London area and moved down here. My youngest daughter, was born down here, so when she started school and was learning to read would read with a Cornish accent as her teacher was Cornish therefore my daughter would read with her teacher's but speak like we do. It was funny to hear!

I worked with a bloke who was born and bred in Basildon.His dad was Glaswegian.He spoke to us like Ollie Murs,when his dad turned up he was Rath C Nesbitt.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Actually brighter today and we went for a five minute drive to the old Chatham dockyard that has now been turned into a marina, housing and an outlet centre.

It was bitterly cold by the water but we had a brisk walk, lots of joggers about!

It’s really lovely when the sun is out, could have done with less wind though!

Now back home in the warm!

B4B2F852-C690-4361-8396-C82990FDC180.jpeg

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

I worked with a bloke who was born and bred in Basildon.His dad was Glaswegian.He spoke to us like Ollie Murs,when his dad turned up he was Rath C Nesbitt.

Some years ago we had a lovely Maltese girl has a neighbour, she had come to England after marrying a Yorkshire man and worked in a West Yorkshire mill.

Her mixture of Yorkshire accent with her native Maltese was sometimes hilarious.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Some years ago we had a lovely Maltese girl has a neighbour, she had come to England after marrying a Yorkshire man and worked in a West Yorkshire mill.

Her mixture of Yorkshire accent with her native Maltese was sometimes hilarious.

My OH was born and raised in Whitechapel.A few Maltese friends there with Cockney accents.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Keeping on the Netflix theme, can I recommend the film "White Tiger" based on the novel by Aravind Adiga. Not as good as the novel (which is normally the case), but still a good " watch",  showing how the "new" India lives and develops alongside the traditional Indian culture, and the tensions that this causes. The film is more fun than my description! 

We don't have Netlix (Sky) but with the brief synopsis you've given I think I'll look for the book. As you say, the books are always better.

Avril

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

Another wet and rainy day down here. Depressing weather.  We've had so much rain lately that we're getting a pond in the middle of the garden. At least we don't need to worry that the plants are too dry!!

Definitely not!! My daffs are still non-existent, I think they may have drowned😕

Avril

40 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We don't have Netlix (Sky) but with the brief synopsis you've given I think I'll look for the book. As you say, the books are always better.

Avril

Just to be clear, Netflix is nothing like Sky. Only £9.99 a month, and no contract, only a month in advance, so easy to cancel .

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Just to be clear, Netflix is nothing like Sky. Only £9.99 a month, and no contract, only a month in advance, so easy to cancel .

I have never used Netflix but have Now TV . 

The way I look upon them is should you see a film you fancy then watching it this way,

would work out cheaper than going to the cinema with family in tow .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

Didn’t know that - so thanks; we may treat ourselves to a night out at the movies for The Dig

I’ve got It’s a Sin lined up to watch.  It’s getting rave reviews, so it sounds worth a try

It’s a cold day here but dry enough for us to get out for a decent walk early on.  Starting to spit rain now.  

We’re both perfectly fine after our jabs yesterday.  No after affects at all for me, very slightly tender arm for himself but only tender to touch, no stiffness

Another dose of the Xmas roast beef for Sunday lunch, and a nice stiff G&T beforehand.  Cosy and safe - February tomorrow - positively rules!

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, kalos said:

I have never used Netflix but have Now TV . 

The way I look upon them is should you see a film you fancy then watching it this way,

would work out cheaper than going to the cinema with family in tow .

Exactly- two films in a month works out at less than £ 5 each. Mind you, I would like the chance to go to a cinema again!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

For those who have watched the excellent The Dig, one of my Twitter Followers tweeted this this morning about Basil Browne, insight to who he was.

https://britainisnocountryforoldmen.blogspot.com/2021/01/is-britain-country-which-finally.html

Just watching it now, very good

56 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Wouldn’t touch Sky with a barge pole. Far too expensive, and I don’t like the way it operates.

Mixed feelings about Netflix, but they will at least tolerate  the sharing of a subscription between different households, so for £13.99 a month in total 4 families can access it on 4 screens. We share between 3 households and it’s decent enough value that way.

44 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

For those who have watched the excellent The Dig, one of my Twitter Followers tweeted this this morning about Basil Browne, insight to who he was.

https://britainisnocountryforoldmen.blogspot.com/2021/01/is-britain-country-which-finally.html

Thanks - interesting piece. Amazing guy, given how difficult it was for anyone with that background then. 

I knew that area well in the 60s and Suffolk then was still a very rural county, but changing very fast. Ipswich Museum, featured in the film, was one of my wife’s favourite haunts. Great place to grow up.