P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

I remember the Falklands War -- think I was in 6th form. I remember a ship bringing people home and them singing Land of Hope and Glory and Maggie (horrible woman) as PM. I was there too Avril ... xx

After the Falklands War, HMS Endurance came home to Chatham Dockyard. A group of us from work went down to Gillingham Strand at lunchtime to see her sail up the Medway. There was a funfair at the Strand, and we went on a few rides, and we got back to the office at 3pm. Fortunately, the assistant manager was part of the group, so we didn’t get into trouble for being late back. 

• Like 3

Just now, wowzz said:

I remember the Cuban missile crisis, and actually wondering, when I went to bed, if the world would still exist the next day. Scary times.

Fortunately, I was too young to remember that. I do remember being frightened by the Doomsday Clock. I ask my dad about it, and he said it showed how many minutes we had to hide if they launched the bombs..... which probably scared me even more! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

If anybody had told me 12 months ago that I would post pictures of my meals ... etc 🙄

Anyway.  Great skate.  Here’s the recipe, such as it is

https://www.houseandgarden.co.uk/recipe/roasted-skate

and here’s the real thing!  Buuurp!

6B10B610-69FE-46B3-8A52-AF9CFE3E31B1.jpeg

Nice piece of Poole Pottery

7 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Fortunately, I was too young to remember that. I do remember being frightened by the Doomsday Clock. I ask my dad about it, and he said it showed how many minutes we had to hide if they launched the bombs..... which probably scared me even more! 

Understandably frighted!  Rather less frightening was something called a Guinness Clock, which some on here might just remember, but I'm pretty sure you won't.

Does anyone remember them with such delight as I do?

I remember the Falklands War -- think I was in 6th form. I remember a ship bringing people home and them singing Land of Hope and Glory and Maggie (horrible woman) as PM. I was there too Avril ... xx

I was in the 6th form too and as Welsh speakers, we were very sad as there are still Welsh speaking communities in Patagonia and close links with Wales.  

• Like 1

We were on holiday in the West country when some of the ships returned home from the Falkland's.   As a family we were sat on Plymouth Hoe enjoying an M&S chicken and salad lunch, and had no idea until the crowds started arriving.  It was quite exhilarating seeing the ships slowly sail by with the ships company's lined up on deck, and with everyone cheering and clapping.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

If anybody had told me 12 months ago that I would post pictures of my meals ... etc 🙄

Anyway.  Great skate.  Here’s the recipe, such as it is

https://www.houseandgarden.co.uk/recipe/roasted-skate

and here’s the real thing!  Buuurp!

6B10B610-69FE-46B3-8A52-AF9CFE3E31B1.jpeg

Looks delicious,one of my favourite fish.I normally order middle skate at the chippy.Funny how they are described as ray wings at supermarkets now.What's all that about?

10 hours ago, Presto2 said:

PS I remember as a very young child watching moon landings and the rockets going up but can't remember which ones they were. Was born Oct 29th 1963 --- i have vague memories

In those days I was just in love with Captain Kirk -- ha ha

That's life Jim,but not as we know it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Presto2 said:

In those days I was just in love with Captain Kirk -- ha ha

37 minutes ago, brian1 said:

That's life Jim,but not as we know it.

Yes old Jim had a few admirers, some might say he was out of this world.:classic_unsure:

Casting my mind back to when I was young was the sheer horror of the Aberfan pit tip

disaster. Living in a mining village I think it was felt more by the locals ,even though we lived 

over 190 miles away ,we felt their pain at that time. I was ten at the time .

• Like 11

Some nice fish fish pictures last night. Well we had a Yemen meal last night. A local take away(nice one) has started a Friday Night Supper Club, you have to pre order during the week. Each week he does a three course meal from a different part of the world for £12.50. Last night it was Yemen, next week it’s Thailand. We have had Greek, Lebanese, Mexican so far
Michelle

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Understandably frighted!  Rather less frightening was something called a Guinness Clock, which some on here might just remember, but I'm pretty sure you won't.

Does anyone remember them with such delight as I do?

I remember them Harry, but my Guinness favourite was the toucan.

''Guinness Is Good For You'' and '' My Goodness, My Guinness''😉

Avril

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I remember them Harry, but my Guinness favourite was the toucan.

''Guinness Is Good For You'' and '' My Goodness, My Guinness''😉

Avril

Some pubs had the Bass clock with the red triangle logo.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

After the Falklands War, HMS Endurance came home to Chatham Dockyard. A group of us from work went down to Gillingham Strand at lunchtime to see her sail up the Medway. There was a funfair at the Strand, and we went on a few rides, and we got back to the office at 3pm. Fortunately, the assistant manager was part of the group, so we didn’t get into trouble for being late back. 

Omg I was there too! I was going to mention it, my sister and I went, I think we were still at school, don’t remember the funfair!

I remember my school friends and I were worried our boyfriends would be conscripted! (I was about 16/17) I also remember watching sober press conferences especially when it was announced HMS Sheffield had gone down.

• Like 2

Weather is dull here 3.c with a -5 chill and just had go at snowing again .

Could it be a taste of things to come ?:classic_unsure:  Again !

Pleased to say it's a snug 22.c on this side of the window :classic_smile:

Have a nice day folks  , stay safe .:classic_smile:

• Like 3