P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I really like Chartwell.

it’s strange looking at old photos, and seeing people mingling without a care in the world. How quickly things changed 

Chartwell is one of my favourite NT places. The house really feels like a home.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

I miss seeing my two daughters who live elsewhere, though I'm very lucky in having a bubble with my youngest daughter and her (long-suffering) husband. After that, it's seeing my brothers (never thought I'd say that - we came very close to fratricide as children), lunch/coffee with friends, the weekly wander around Sainsbury's, and regular visits to the remarkably good library in Norwich.

Strange how we've all found out what's important.

Norwich!

I miss Norwich - and I say that as a Tractor Boy!  And it is a good library too.  I also miss the beautiful North Norfolk coast.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Norwich!

I miss Norwich - and I say that as a Tractor Boy!  And it is a good library too.  I also miss the beautiful North Norfolk coast.

None of us can help the place of our birth. Deepest sympathy.😄

Having said that, I do (did) occasionally venture over the border into enemy territory to go to the Fox and Goose in Fressingfield - if you don't know it, give it a try if you're ever back in Suffolk.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

It’s a year today since the first hospital cases with covid in the U.K. a full year when life has not been normal.

You miss days out to London, what are others missing the most?

We probably all miss being able to meet up freely with family / friends and of course our cruises but what other day to day things do you miss the most.

For me it is a basic of life, shopping. I haven’t been in a shop since last March. The joy of browsing and selecting exactly what you want rather than being at the mercy of a picker at the supermarket (though I am grateful to them for the service they provide). The only up side is my husband isn’t able to slip so much chocolate into the trolly!

Brunch at Brasserie Blanc in Covent Garden, stand outside the Jamaican meat Pattie shop, sniff and imagine, National Gallery, shops, hard rock cafe. 😥😥. Boo boo.

• Like 2

Good morning you mucky minded lot🤣 The word is sAx as you well know. 😜

So, what have I missed most over this last year?  Freedom and spontaneity.

It's a beautiful day here this morning, sunshine and 9c, it's tempting us into the garden later to see what needs doing for spring and to get the area ready for the  new plum tree that's arriving next week. Mother Nature reminding us that life still goes on.

Avril

• Like 9

That's my busy workload cleared for today !  Rang up my Car Rescue  cover and got 

the cover cheaper than the quote . It was my fault as I had left it on auto renew and 

they always bang on a few quid knowing 1000's of people will just pay it . Not me !

Next was phone up our garden service to come and crop the privet before the Blackbirds 

take up residence and start nesting .

Finally phone our local chemist to confirm my tablets will be delivered today .

Think I  will chill out now , these hectic lives we lead , how do we do it ? :classic_unsure:

A nice bright 8.c day here today :classic_smile:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I really like Chartwell.

it’s strange looking at old photos, and seeing people mingling without a care in the world. How quickly things changed 

What seems even stranger to me is watching new TV programmes filmed under covid secure measures.

We watch NCIS Los Angeles and the new series has lots of group discussions on video calls, staged social distancing dialogue scenes, absolutely no hand to hand combat fight scenes, and deserted streets with no traffic. I guess we will eventually get used to it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

What seems even stranger to me is watching new TV programmes filmed under covid secure measures.

We watch NCIS Los Angeles and the new series has lots of group discussions on video calls, staged social distancing dialogue scenes, absolutely no hand to hand combat fight scenes, and deserted streets with no traffic. I guess we will eventually get used to it.

I find the same , have you tried watching Question Time ?

Without the audience there it just seems lacking and dull .

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Yes, when we watch TV, we always try to work out whether it was filmed before or after March 2020! 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Brunch at Brasserie Blanc in Covent Garden, stand outside the Jamaican meat Pattie shop, sniff and imagine, National Gallery, shops, hard rock cafe. 😥😥. Boo boo.

Leisurely walks down Southbank, browsing round the second hand book market, watching the street artists, sitting in tucked away gardens in the middle of the hustle and bustle, ice creams in the Italian Gardens in Kensington, sometimes followed by cake in Kensington Palace cafe 😊 One day soon.....

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, kalos said:

That's my busy workload cleared for today !  Rang up my Car Rescue  cover and got 

the cover cheaper than the quote . It was my fault as I had left it on auto renew and 

they always bang on a few quid knowing 1000's of people will just pay it . Not me !

Next was phone up our garden service to come and crop the privet before the Blackbirds 

take up residence and start nesting .

Finally phone our local chemist to confirm my tablets will be delivered today .

Think I  will chill out now , these hectic lives we lead , how do we do it ? :classic_unsure:

A nice bright 8.c day here today :classic_smile:

7°C here and sunny after raining all night.

It is blue recycling bin day and they have just been  so I have just brought the bin back around to the back garden and put it in our bin station.

I have moved my car and got Pauline's car out of the garage as she is going to the funeral of a work colleague and will socially meet  a lot of the staff who will line the road in the crematorium grounds.

Another TV day for me until Pauline gets back.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

It’s a year today since the first hospital cases with covid in the U.K. a full year when life has not been normal.

You miss days out to London, what are others missing the most?

We probably all miss being able to meet up freely with family / friends and of course our cruises but what other day to day things do you miss the most.

For me it is a basic of life, shopping. I haven’t been in a shop since last March. The joy of browsing and selecting exactly what you want rather than being at the mercy of a picker at the supermarket (though I am grateful to them for the service they provide). The only up side is my husband isn’t able to slip so much chocolate into the trolly!

I miss going out for a coffee a couple of times a week, either to the garden centre or the M&S cafe and doing some people watching and a general mooch around the shops. I also miss day trips on the coach and getting on the train to the coast and going for long seaside walks. I was able to do these things carefully during the summer and early autumn, so don’t feel too deprived, and hope I can eventually do the same this year.

I really miss going to the theatre. Last time I did this was November 2019, and at this point it’s difficult to see how the theatres can reopen. When I eventually get back to the theatre, I have a feeling I will sob with happiness as I take my seat - theatre has always been important to me. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Leisurely walks down Southbank, browsing round the second hand book market, watching the street artists, sitting in tucked away gardens in the middle of the hustle and bustle, ice creams in the Italian Gardens in Kensington, sometimes followed by cake in Kensington Palace cafe 😊 One day soon.....

This is all getting a bit painful. Wander through Soho, take away burger, marquee club,.....hang on , that was 1967.🤣

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

7°C here and sunny after raining all night.

It is blue recycling bin day and they have just been  so I have just brought the bin back around to the back garden and put it in our bin station.

I have moved my car and got Pauline's car out of the garage as she is going to the funeral of a work colleague and will socially meet  a lot of the staff who will line the road in the crematorium grounds.

Another TV day for me until Pauline gets back.

Hope Pauline's day goes well meeting other work colleague's under the sad circumstances .

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I miss going out for a coffee a couple of times a week, either to the garden centre or the M&S cafe and doing some people watching and a general mooch around the shops. I also miss day trips on the coach and getting on the train to the coast and going for long seaside walks. I was able to do these things carefully during the summer and early autumn, so don’t feel too deprived, and hope I can eventually do the same this year.

I really miss going to the theatre. Last time I did this was November 2019, and at this point it’s difficult to see how the theatres can reopen. When I eventually get back to the theatre, I have a feeling I will sob with happiness as I take my seat - theatre has always been important to me. 

It is 4.9 miles from home to the entrance to the beach car park where we park to get some exercise which I checked yesterday in case we were stopped by police.

• Like 1

Well it’s my late shift again today - that’s come round quickly. I often get up later on a Friday and before I know it the mornings’ gone and I haven’t done much! I got up earlier today and it wasn’t strong sunshine but it was bright, thought I’d get a walk in.

Just about to go and it started getting dark, within 5 minutes it was chucking it down.

So I’ve just done some ironing and had a vigorous hoover! 
In an hour I’ll have to get my lunch so I can be ready for work at 1!

I was ok in Lockdown 1 but now I am missing meeting friends in the two Tangent Clubs I belong to, one here and one where I used to live... also missing seeing all my old workmates.  I usually jump on the Community Bus to Bluewater every few months and we all still meet for lunch all these years later.

The main miss is not being able to trawl round shops for things for my new home.  We move on 9th and everything has had to be purchased unseen online.  No disasters yet, but just not the same and almost zero excitement over purchases.  Oh well not long now, hopefully!