P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

29 minutes ago, purplesea said:

There's local fish delivery in our area with fresh fish from Newlyn. So again hasn't got many food miles.

What do I miss? I miss meeting up with friends for a cuppa and a chat. Having the family just popping in and out as they normally do. Holidays and going out for a meal.  The last meals out I had were all on one weekend in March. The first was at my daughter's wedding, the next day in St Ives with my friend who had come down for the wedding and the day  after that in Marazion for my husband's birthday.

20200316_162549.jpg

We stayed in St Ives in late August. We ate a couple of times in Marazion. Quite nicely socially distanced and Rishi paid half.🤣

8 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I miss having to pretend to be pleased to meet some family and friends, now I don't need to!!

I must confess once or twice when doing food shopping I think I’ve seen old work colleagues but not sure with their masks on, so I just put my face down and hurry by 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, SeaJane said:

Lovely picture of St Michael’s Mount - we’ve visited several times. Makes me really miss Cornwall and wondering whether we’ll get there in April. We usually spend 8 or 9 weeks of the year in North Cornwall. Last year we only managed to spend September there, but it wasn’t enough! 

I miss Cornwall too, especially after watching the recent Rick Stein programmes.  Fortunate enough to live there for a few years as a teenager, pre-Stein and when the coastal villages hadn’t been infiltrated by incomers buying holiday homes.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I miss Cornwall too, especially after watching the recent Rick Stein programmes.  Fortunate enough to live there for a few years as a teenager, pre-Stein and when the coastal villages hadn’t been infiltrated by incomers buying holiday homes.

We’ve enjoyed watching the Rick Stein programmes recently and on two occasions I’ve attended courses at his cookery school. I’ve been visiting Cornwall all my life and it’s certainly changed over the years, but my family have owned property there for 50 years and I still love the area especially out of the main tourist season! 

• Like 3

Well, have just been catching up with everything since Wednesday evening. I have just said to hubby that I love you lot as the posts have made me howl laughing loads and also made me think. Dunno where we would all have been without one another and a special thank you to host Sharon who started this thread way back !]

Anyway, been thinking - top 4 radio / TV moments

I was born just a month before our wonderful Dr Who and remain firm fans - but no longer watch until it becomes less PC and we get a male Dr. Sorry, just us

Other things that will always stick with me re the news via the radio or TV

The day I heard at University on the radio that Eric Morecambe had died - I stood and cried and was only about 20. I remember exactly where I was and where I was standing

The night driving home from work and hearing on Radio 4 that Jill Dando had been murdered - will never forget that and again, where I was in the traffic jam

The morning that I lay awake when visiting my parents hearing their serious voices in another room and worrying and then finding out that Diana had died

The end of a school day when a colleague told me that they had heard rumours that there was an attack on the Twin Towers. I had no idea what they were and then the whole staff meeting fell apart as we sat around listening to the news as it unfolded as a member of staff had parents on a plane on the way home from a holiday in the USA

Strange how things come back to you and stick in your mind and emotions

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 10

3 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

If anybody had told me 12 months ago that I would post pictures of my meals ... etc 🙄

Anyway.  Great skate.  Here’s the recipe, such as it is

https://www.houseandgarden.co.uk/recipe/roasted-skate

and here’s the real thing!  Buuurp!

6B10B610-69FE-46B3-8A52-AF9CFE3E31B1.jpeg

At least it is still sort of related to the sea ....... 😉

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Well, have just been catching up with everything since Wednesday evening. I have just said to hubby that I love you lot as the posts have made me howl laughing loads and also made me think. Dunno where we would all have been without one another and a special thank you to host Sharon who started this thread way back !]

I was born just a month before our wonderful Dr Who and remain firm fans - but no longer watch until it becomes less PC and we get a male Dr. Sorry, just us

The day I heard at University on the radio that Eric Morecambe had died - I stood and cried and was only about 20. I remember exactly where I was and where I was standing

The night driving home from work and hearing on Radio 4 that Jill Dando had been murdered - will never forget that and again, where I was in the traffic jam

The morning that I lay awake when visiting my parents hearing their serious voices in another room and worrying and then finding out that Diana had died

The end of a school day when a colleague told me that they had heard rumours that there was an attack on the Twin Towers. I had no idea what they were and then the whole staff meeting fell apart as we sat around listening to the news as it unfolded as a member of staff had parents on a plane on the way home from a holiday in the USA

I’m the same!

9/11 - I remember walking into the staff room at school at the end of the school day and everyone was huddled around the small portable TV there (mainly used during Wimbledon) and my immediate thought was that the Queen Mother must have died. It was such a shocking event.

Also remember settling down with my landlady during my teaching prac to watch the Challenger launch - Jan 1986. 

Also the day John Lennon died. My mother was off for the day and phoned from a kiosk to tell us that she on the way home and had we heard the news. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I’m the same!

9/11 - I remember walking into the staff room at school at the end of the school day and everyone was huddled around the small portable TV there (mainly used during Wimbledon) and my immediate thought was that the Queen Mother must have died. It was such a shocking event.

Also remember settling down with my landlady during my teaching prac to watch the Challenger launch - Jan 1986. 

Also the day John Lennon died. My mother was off for the day and phoned from a kiosk to tell us that she on the way home and had we heard the news. 

Gosh, yes, sitting on the settee at home watching Challenger and waiting for an age to see what had happened. I would have been on my teaching practice too ........ was my PGCE second term.

Now remembering Dunblane ........ no words 

I sort of remember John Lennon but am not a fan of the Beatles so it didn't really affect me

I do remember the day that the war broke out - the gulf War 1990. My class had an assembly and the theme was Peace and the children came in to the hall singing John Lennon Give Peace a Chance. While we were in the Hall the news came that the Gulf War had started. It was one of those moments I will never forget and I remember staff in tears.

Gosh this has all been going down memory lane .... I need to find some good memories amidst this

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

I was on holiday in Florida when Jill Dando  was murdered. Even though she wasn’t known in the USA, it was in their papers. 

With Diana, my husband got up first that morning, went downstairs, put the TV on, and came straight back upstairs and said ‘Diana’s dead’. I couldn’t quite take it in at first.

On 9/11, I was at work, when people started phoning in to tell us what had happened. This was before we even had internet access at the office, so there was about 100 people grouped round a radio trying to find out more details. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I remember watching the moon landing the assassination of JFK and the Falklands war.

I now feel very, very old.

Avril

I remember the Falklands War -- think I was in 6th form. I remember a ship bringing people home and them singing Land of Hope and Glory and Maggie (horrible woman) as PM. I was there too Avril ... xx

• Like 1

PS I remember as a very young child watching moon landings and the rockets going up but can't remember which ones they were. Was born Oct 29th 1963 --- i have vague memories

In those days I was just in love with Captain Kirk -- ha ha

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

PS I remember as a very young child watching moon landings and the rockets going up but can't remember which ones they were. Was born Oct 29th 1963 --- i have vague memories

In those days I was just in love with Captain Kirk -- ha ha

July 16th 1969 and the first walk on the moon was 20th. Incredible!!

Avril

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

July 16th 1969 and the first walk on the moon was 20th. Incredible!!

Avril

You were in the year above me in school then. Perhaps one of the moon things I watched was the moon landing but I would have been so young. Still remember Capt Kirk and am a proper Trekkie to this day x

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Presto2 said:

Sorry, are you saying you were born on the 16th July that year ? If so you have a good memory

I wish!! 🤣 No, I was born the 29th April 1947, 16th July 1969 was the launch of  Apollo 11 to the moon🤣

Avril

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

I wish!! 🤣 No, I was born the 29th April 1947, 16th July 1969 was the launch of  Apollo 11 to the moon🤣

Avril

Just ignore me, it is late and Friday. I have caught up now !!!!!!!! LOOOOONNNNGGGG week

Have a lovely weekend Avril, xxxx

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Just ignore me, it is late and Friday. I have caught up now !!!!!!!! LOOOOONNNNGGGG week

Have a lovely weekend Avril, xxxx

Sending you a nice bottle of wine to help you relax.

My niece Sarah sent me the picture and suggested I buy some .🤓

Graham.

IMG-20210127-WA0002.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1