P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

But do you think Covid capacity issues will still be an issue in August 2022 ?

They could be being over cautious. Lets be realistic here, no-one knows what the situation will be like next year, so it would be easier to restrict the bookings now and open up more cabins as and when the situation becomes clearer. Just a thought.

Avril

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Our November 2021 cruise is now cheaper than when we booked it back in August. 

That's a surprise, our December 21 cruise on Iona has increased by 40% since we transferred from last year's cruise and almost doubled since launch price... 

Andy 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

But do you think Covid capacity issues will still be an issue in August 2022 ?

If so, then of course prices will be inflated, but I'm hopeful that by then we will have got on top of the CV19 pandemic. I certainly don't think P&O will be working on 70% capacity (or whatever) when it comes to pricing  strategies for 18 months hence. 

They should be by August 2022, but it will probably take until then for P&Os IT dept to realise they are still using the covid algorithm.🤣😉

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

That's a surprise, our December 21 cruise on Iona has increased by 40% since we transferred from last year's cruise and almost doubled since launch price... 

Andy 

Our October 2021 cruise, booked in October 2019 has more than doubled. Booked at £1351pp now £2799pp, an increase of £1448pp😲

Avril

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Our October 2021 cruise, booked in October 2019 has more than doubled. Booked at £1351pp now £2799pp, an increase of £1448pp😲

Avril

That's quite common for the Aurora and Arcadia cruises, in 2019 our Aurora cruise did exactly the same.  For comparison with your cruise this year we are booked on Britannia, same departure date as you I think, but our price has only increased marginally since booking at launch in 2019.

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That's quite common for the Aurora and Arcadia cruises, in 2019 our Aurora cruise did exactly the same.  For comparison with your cruise this year we are booked on Britannia, same departure date as you I think, but our price has only increased marginally since booking at launch in 2019.

October 9th John🤞. Incidentally, the biggest price jump was the same day as the latest cruise  cancellations.

Avril

25 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

October 9th John🤞. Incidentally, the biggest price jump was the same day as the latest cruise  cancellations.

Avril

I've just had another look and it's gone up another £100pp.

Avril

Just looked at replicating as near as possible our cancelled 3 week Mediterranean cruise we should have been on in May last year, in May 2022 on Fly Cruise on Azura £1,200 more than last years price and no Venice visit. 

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We have just left church and drove 1 mile to the beach car park and we are going for a short walk before going home.

I don't feel like walking with my knee and hip arthritis but it is part of my HA rehabilitation.

16151181153074483602567667577503.jpg

Have you tried a Sacroiliac Belt for your hip pain Graham, I have pain in my right hip from a bit of arthritis. I am a keen walker and was looking for something to support my hip and lower back so I could keep walking good distances. The belt definitely helps me, my partner uses a knee support for long walks, she wouldn't go more than a couple of miles without it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

They could be being over cautious. Lets be realistic here, no-one knows what the situation will be like next year, so it would be easier to restrict the bookings now and open up more cabins as and when the situation becomes clearer. Just a thought.

Avril

You are probably right. We may find that restrictions are a lot less once things have been opened up for a few months than they will be at the start. The next one we will book will be Alaska for next June. We can't book till late July when the flights open. ( Why does predictive think I want to say fluff ).We should have a good idea by then.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Have you tried a Sacroiliac Belt for your hip pain Graham, I have pain in my right hip from a bit of arthritis. I am a keen walker and was looking for something to support my hip and lower back so I could keep walking good distances. The belt definitely helps me, my partner uses a knee support for long walks, she wouldn't go more than a couple of miles without it.

I use knee supports but it is usually if I stand still or after a walk my knees stiffen and are painful.

I used to take ibuprofen if I had any pain but since my mild heart attack I can't take them with the heart medication and even though my total cholesterol is only 2.5 they insisted I took 80mg now reduced to 40mg atorvastatin which contributes to my  muscle pain.

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I use knee supports but it is usually if I stand still or after a walk my knees stiffen and are painful.

I used to take ibuprofen if I had any pain but since my mild heart attack I can't take them with the heart medication and even though my total cholesterol is only 2.5 they insisted I took 80mg now reduced to 40mg atorvastatin which contributes to my  muscle pain.

I am assuming that you have discussed atorvastatin with your doctor, a walking friend had terrible muscle and joint pain and was moved to a different statin and is fine. The belt works really well for me.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

I am assuming that you have discussed atorvastatin with your doctor, a walking friend had terrible muscle and joint pain and was moved to a different statin and is fine. The belt works really well for me.

I will look into the belt thanks.

The doctor said the statins are usually indefinite but reduced the dose and thought atorvastatin was the best one because of my HA.

I have had physio a few times.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm getting worried. Where is Kalos?

Avril

I'm here , just a busy day sorting some paperwork out , tying up a few loose ends

from my work days. Sorting out one of our lads vaccine jab he got the paperwork

for the larger hubs but not the local one but I still had phone numbers from when Mrs Kalos 

got sorted ,so lad goes next Saturday . I think we never stop looking after them even when 

they grow up and leave home. Kept having a read on here throughout the day , just never 

got around to posting . Sunday the day of rest :classic_unsure:

Everyone keep safe & take care :classic_smile:

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, kalos said:

I'm here , just a busy day sorting some paperwork out , tying up a few loose ends

from my work days. Sorting out one of our lads vaccine jab he got the paperwork

for the larger hubs but not the local one but I still had phone numbers from when Mrs Kalos 

got sorted ,so lad goes next Saturday . I think we never stop looking after them even when 

they grow up and leave home. Kept having a read on here throughout the day , just never 

got around to posting . Sunday the day of rest :classic_unsure:

Everyone keep safe & take care :classic_smile:

Glad you're okay kalos. I only come on about 3 or 4 times a day now,  and I noticed you were conspicuous by your absence. I'm pleased your son is getting his jab, much safer for him considering his job. My daughter had hers on Thursday and it was a great relief for us. You never stop worrying about your children, and will always do whatever you can to make sure they're alright, whatever their age. Take care and  enjoy what's left of your Sunday😊

Avril

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Re cruise increase prices  our Princess Aug 21 cruise has just been cancelled and next years price is over a thousand pounds more like for like cabin

same itinerary same date same ship.

Fortunately thay are doing lift and shift at the price we paid.  I rather

expect the price will come down  as this years was in edinburgh for

the tattoo  and the US passengers were mainly doing it for that as

otherwise to get to greenland it is easier from NY.

Anyway more storm clouds re cruise prices :

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24492-cruise-lines-under-pressure-to-significantly-raise-ticket-prices.html

17 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Yes lots of examples of cruise prices going up but then so have staycations as well. Which were reporting that some U.K. holidays have gone up by huge amounts, the worst quoted was for Brighton which went up by 140%.

The potential season for holidays is getting less and less up here which is pushing up prices later in the year by the day. All being well self catering in England can open on 12 April for one household. We don’t even have indicative dates yet for any sort of holiday (or even travel to the next village!).

Add to that the fact that the much hated levels system is coming back at the end of April but with a twist: it is even more draconian than before. It means booking anything is a risk because your level may change and then you are locked into your local council area. It’s a nightmare for business.

It is all thoroughly depressing and people are sick and fed up with all the restrictions and lack of clarity for the future. I don’t know what is worse, being given potential dates that may not happen (but hopefully will) or being left completely in the dark and going so slowly that dates will probably be accurate but many, many months away and most of the spring/summer over.

• Like 1

Eglesbrech I totally agree with you the prices have really gone up every where, we were going to hire a RV and travel right up to the top of Scotland and spend 2/3 weeks exploring but that’s out now or on the back burner for a while, so when we totally open up down here we are just going to join the national trust this year and do day trips all over .

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Eglesbrech I totally agree with you the prices have really gone up every where, we were going to hire a RV and travel right up to the top of Scotland and spend 2/3 weeks exploring but that’s out now or on the back burner for a while, so when we totally open up down here we are just going to join the national trust this year and do day trips all over .

I tend to think that's what we will also be doing this year, we members of the National Trust, English Heritage and RSPB and will make good use of them when we can.

I am hoping that the need to book a arrival time will be dropped soon, it's the sort of thing we like to do on impulse when the weather is nice.

• Like 3