P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

51 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Good morning everyone, Andy & Michelle. There's a big change in the weather here today, overcast, breezy and cold. It says the temperature is 8c, with a feel of 7c, but I don't believe that for a minute🥶. I'm pleased you've no reaction to your 2nd jab Kalos and hope that Mrs Kalos will soon have hers.

Have a good day everyone, whatever you're up to and take care.

Avril

We went into Barnsley this morning for our weekly shop and it was freezing much colder than at home to say we only live a few miles away and are higher up. Reminds me of the old Barnsley market, there was always a breeze blowing through there.

3 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I thought that I read somewhere that at least 50% of the sides of any outdoor structures had to be open. The pub gardens that I have been to recently seem to reflect that.

With all the draught around the bottom and joins it probably was 50% lol.It felt warmer outside than in.To be honest in a tent full of people mainly in my age group with  1 or 2 younger people,I felt safe now I've had my jab.A lot won't agree but that is just the way I feel.

6 minutes ago, brian1 said:

With all the draught around the bottom and joins it probably was 50% lol.It felt warmer outside than in.To be honest in a tent full of people mainly in my age group with  1 or 2 younger people,I felt safe now I've had my jab.A lot won't agree but that is just the way I feel.

I probably agree with you.

It just seems wrong that some people have not been allowed to open, as their structures are illegal, yet the golf club is flagrantly breaking the law.  

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Lime and soda .. We know how to party but in our case it's needs must mate .:classic_smile:

As you and Avril have said it's great that everyone seems to be getting the vaccine

asap and We can thank our jabbers for that . Even though Andy is not posting I hope 

his Michelle has got her other jab due to her serious condition and any other of our 

posters in a similar situation come to that.:classic_smile: Seeing it's a cool day I think it's a day 

indoors but will amuse myself with the new A7 tablet I have bought . My laptop I

could operate in my sleep but enjoying finding where things are located in the 

tablet. Got it as a back up to the PC and am pleased with it overall.

Sad to read in the papers that Jim Steinman who wrote the songs for Meatloaf has 

passed away , makes you feel old when half of your musical era has gone to the other

side .:classic_mellow:

Let's hope Michelle and Andy are well.

I never use my laptop just my mobile for convenience.

Enjoy getting to know your tablet Kalos it sounds good.

Sitting in the garden at the moment but it is getting a bit breezy so I think I will go back into the house.

Take care mate.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

31 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It just seems wrong that some people have not been allowed to open, as their structures are illegal, yet the golf club is flagrantly breaking the law.  

What I read is that these are guidelines and not laws.Local authorities seem to have more clout than the police.All the local council probably play golf,lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

We went into Barnsley this morning for our weekly shop and it was freezing much colder than at home to say we only live a few miles away and are higher up. Reminds me of the old Barnsley market, there was always a breeze blowing through there.

The old Barnsley market was a wonderful place to shop. Cold winds blowing around the stalls, rain dripping down the back of your neck off the stall covers and lit up like a fairy grotto at Christmas. Stall holders shouting, the smell of pie & peas and fish & chips and watching Joe Edwards juggling with crockery and wondering if he'd miss, but he never did. Sadly now, all gone. The cost of progress.

Avril

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I agree with wowzz. Some hospitality venues who have not got facilities to offer a takeaway food service have been completely closed for about 12 months in total. If they have no beer garden, they are still closed. Many golf clubs have kept at least a proportion of member’s fees so they have not been hit so badly and have been able to cover overheads related with the course. They are now operational again on the golfing side. This does not mean they can flout hospitality rules so I would have no sympathy if they faced a £10,000 fine and a loss of the alcohol licence. Sorry, but that is just how I feel. 

Edited by pete14
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, brian1 said:

What I read is that these are guidelines and not laws.Local authorities seem to have more clout than the police.All the local council probably play golf,lol.

It seems that the government have been deliberately (?) vague over this whole issue, allowing, as you say, local authorities to interpret the guidelines as they see fit. It just seems wrong that a rich golf club can flout the rules, whereas a hardworking publican cannot. 

The class divide is still alive and well in the UK !

https://www.bighospitality.co.uk/Article/2021/03/19/What-are-the-planning-regulations-for-outdoor-dining-spaces

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It seems that the government have been deliberately (?) vague over this whole issue, allowing, as you say, local authorities to interpret the guidelines as they see fit. It just seems wrong that a rich golf club can flout the rules, whereas a hardworking publican cannot. 

https://www.bighospitality.co.uk/Article/2021/03/19/What-are-the-planning-regulations-for-outdoor-dining-spaces

LOL,"the class divide".They let me in, that's a contradiction in terms.Seriously though it's not Wentworth but still a good standard.Not long now for normality,cheers,Brian.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Looks lovely. Where exactly are you staying? I’m interested as we’ve never visited the Lake District and it’n on my to-do list! 

We’re staying at Parkdean Resorts Fallbarrow park in Bowness. Great location 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Wriggle room for 'chums' 🙄

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Wriggle room for 'chums' 🙄

This government seems to have lots of chums at the moment, including that well known vacuum cleaner designer, James "I'm off to Singapore" Dyson! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

Guidelines or not, they still have to enforce them, especially in breaches as obvious as this one as you have described. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, wowzz said:

This government seems to have lots of chums at the moment, including that well known vacuum cleaner designer, James "I'm off to Singapore" Dyson! 

His chumship didn't prevent him from losing £20m on engineering effort, tooling up and component ordering.  With friends like that he might want to lose Boris's personal phone number.

39 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Is this the chap who spent £20m of his own money and wanted his employee's who flew back to UK to set up the FOC ventilator production facility to not get stitched up with UK tax before they flew out again?.🤔

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Is this the chap who spent £20m of his own money and wanted his employee's who flew back to UK to set up the FOC ventilator production facility to not get stitched up with UK tax before they flew out again?.🤔

Yes, the same Dyson who backed Brexit, and then moved his HQ to Singapore! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

I don’t think this should be anti James Dyson but concern about the access wealthy friends or contacts seem to have to the Prime Minister and other government ministers which the rest of us are denied. For a country that prides itself on parliamentary democracy and one person one vote, money does seem to open doors to politicians that are firmly shut to the vast majority of voters. All we can do is contact our own MPs, which for me is pointless if I want to question policies and decisions of the current government which he supports. 

• Like 4

Hi all

Lovely and warm down here today 16c althought there is a bit of a breeze. Thanks for sending your warmer weather down!!

Busy day today. Went into Truro this morning and have booked 22 nights on Arvia's TA in Jan 2023. Came home and had a phone call for a job interview tomorrow then was off out again to meet a friend for coffee in Penzance. Got daughter coming round later for a takeaway meal in the garden.

20210421_150438.jpg

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I don’t think this should be anti James Dyson but concern about the access wealthy friends or contacts seem to have to the Prime Minister and other government ministers which the rest of us are denied. For a country that prides itself on parliamentary democracy and one person one vote, money does seem to open doors to politicians that are firmly shut to the vast majority of voters. All we can do is contact our own MPs, which for me is pointless if I want to question policies and decisions of the current government which he supports. 

The politics are of no interest to me. The story is that a man who spent millions trying to help out is criticised for trying to help, without penalising his foreign based staff. Well done to James Dyson for trying to help.

• Like 2

Kalos I hope you’re feeling ok today after your 2nd jab and enjoying  playing around on your new tablet, I had a tablet for 5 years ( 2 in that time ) and last year treated myself to a iPad which I’m on constantly especially at night on here when I go to bed and during the night when I can’t sleep and go on other forums, I would never give up my iPad now so much quicker than my old tablet .