P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

28 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

We did - seriously - do a deal with the local Co-operative Funeral Service, just before all this kicked off, for stripped down cremations at £1300 each all-in. They couldn’t quite match the best online price, but I know the Co-op has an excellent reputation.

Wouldn’t do us a BOGOF though..........

Why would you not just go on a cruise?

Edited by mercury7289
tenses

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Well, it's certainly a cheap alternative......but a little unfair on the other passengers.

You could have got a round of applause and been the man over board!

Edited by mercury7289

9 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

You could have got a round of applause and been the man over board!

Don't think I hadn't considered it for the longer term.  Switzerland costs at least £10,000 and you don't get a cruise built into the package.  Just a few chocolates.

Yes - it might prove a great attraction for quite a few passengers, but distressing and inconveniencing for quite a few too.  Not a great idea, but I'm sure it's not that uncommon.

4 hours ago, kalos said:

We did the same Harry ,all paid for and nothing for our kids to worry about and we own a burial plot anyway .

Looking back it is turning out to be a good investment to what it would cost at today's prices .

What happens when the co op goes bust?

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Is Barnsley Co-op still as strong as it was?  Used to be one of the strongest in the country, but I’m talking a while back. 12.5p in the pound divi then.

Answered on another thread Harry. I'm forgetting what thread I'm on now. I hope this is not going to be my "new normal" Then again Frank would tell you I never know where I am😆

Avril 

A friend of wine lives and work in Ireland right now. He is German and according to him the country is not experiences any problems dealing with Covid. Well, Germany is a very different story. The country is sort of a hub where tons of people meet and spread all over the place. This means that Germany will be hit the most but according to recent news it seems like they managed the situation very well  

Just now, Roger88 said:

A friend of wine lives and work in Ireland right now. He is German and according to him the country is not experiences any problems dealing with Covid. Well, Germany is a very different story. The country is sort of a hub where tons of people meet and spread all over the place. This means that Germany will be hit the most but according to recent news it seems like they managed the situation very well  

Germany has a very cool, calm, experienced leader in the shape of 'Mutti' Merkel, now the darling of the nation in the light of the outcome in Germany.

Look what we've got, by comparison.  And look at his standing in the polls now he's been tested and found seriously lacking.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

What happens when the co op goes bust?

The money gets ring fenced through a insurance trustee that ensures the paid up service cannot go bust even

if the company does .

I know it is insensitive, but you can find companies that give very cheap deals by offering "off peak " cremations. It means that there is lots of money left over for the wake,  but there is no "send off" in the crematorium. 

All down to personal choice.

What do you think might happen tomorrow where you are?

I see in one town they say that if it gets too crowded with shoppers they will have to barricade!!

I'm not sure about this.  It could go either way.  Some people, like myself will hold back for a while.   Do you think people are going to go out straight away?  I am erring  a bit  on a slow start as  I think  us seniors will hold back... but then  again .........

3 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

What do you think might happen tomorrow where you are?

I see in one town they say that if it gets too crowded with shoppers they will have to barricade!!

I'm not sure about this.  It could go either way.  Some people, like myself will hold back for a while.   Do you think people are going to go out straight away?  I am erring  a bit  on a slow start as  I think  us seniors will hold back... but then  again .........

God knows my wife likes shopping, but as she says, what's the point of buying new clothes when you can't go anywhere to wear them?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

God knows my wife likes shopping, but as she says, what's the point of buying new clothes when you can't go anywhere to wear them?

If we go 'proper' shopping in Town, it has to evolve around food, so until the pubs or cafes are open, I ain't traipsing round any shops... 

Andy 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, wowzz said:

I know it is insensitive, but you can find companies that give very cheap deals by offering "off peak " cremations. It means that there is lots of money left over for the wake,  but there is no "send off" in the crematorium. 

All down to personal choice.

Like a happy hour without the happy.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, wowzz said:

What is Lady W's grand plan for the money saved during lockdown?

I can help her if needed!!!😉😃

21 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

What is Lady W's grand plan for the money saved during lockdown?

I can help her if needed!!!😉😃

Hands off !

I've suggested that Lady W might care to make a substantial contribution to our holiday fund. To that end, I have started leaving the Viking Ocean Cruises brochure in strategic places around the house. 

(My previous strategy, that revolved around  me telling her that a convertible Jaguar would be a great investment, was, unfortunately,  a non-starter!) 

I've been up to our local park for a walk this morning, thoroughly enjoyed it and did me a world of good just getting out without any specific purpose (such as shopping). Saw quite a few groups of more than 6 people who were definitely not spaced 2m apart. Plenty of people either don't know or still choose to ignore the rules/guidance. Also, it still makes me laugh how closely all the cars are parked together even though there was a whole field available for parking as well as the usual 4 regular car parks.

One thing I found really odd was how one group of 10 set up their chairs etc. on a bit of waste ground near one of the car parks. Maybe some of them have mobility issues but they were literally 20 metres away from a lovely, well maintained open field with lots of available space.

There's nowt so funny as folk 😕

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Hands off !

I've suggested that Lady W might care to make a substantial contribution to our holiday fund. To that end, I have started leaving the Viking Ocean Cruises brochure in strategic places around the house. 

(My previous strategy, that revolved around  me telling her that a convertible Jaguar would be a great investment, was, unfortunately,  a non-starter!) 

On another forum she’s telling people she’s off to Seasalt and Browns at Marshall’s Yard on Monday............and that’s just for starters!  😉

12 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

On another forum she’s telling people she’s off to Seasalt and Browns at Marshall’s Yard on Monday............and that’s just for starters!  😉

I'm hoping that she will just go to Poundland!

I can't believe the numbers of shoppers that are being shown on the news today.  They were showing huge queues waiting to do go into Primark, not a shop that I usually shop in but I can't imagine what they are selling that people are desperate to buy.  They interviewed a lady who said she was desperate to buy some new clothes.  I don't see the point of going into crowded places right now, if I was desperate I think that I would order on line.  Am I just being stupid not understanding the need to shop ?

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I can't believe the numbers of shoppers that are being shown on the news today.  They were showing huge queues waiting to do go into Primark, not a shop that I usually shop in but I can't imagine what they are selling that people are desperate to buy.  They interviewed a lady who said she was desperate to buy some new clothes.  I don't see the point of going into crowded places right now, if I was desperate I think that I would order on line.  Am I just being stupid not understanding the need to shop ?

Absolutely agree with you - just why?

The picture on this page horrifies me - queues outside a Nike store in central London.  Is there any proper distancing going on, or is it just the perspective?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53044826

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I would agree with you Josy

Just one point I’ve read elsewhere - young children do grow quickly, plus the season has changed, plus Primark is cheap but doesn’t do online.  So, there may be a small constituency who really do need get in there to dress their kids properly ...

but not the long lines shown in the media

• Like 1