P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

We have had a lovely day, my niece brought her children round for lunch in our garden, we last saw them on 9th March when we took presents to them that we had bought for them from our holiday.  We have only had facetime conversations with them throughout the lockdown. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We have had a lovely day, my niece brought her children round for lunch in our garden, we last saw them on 9th March when we took presents to them that we had bought for them from our holiday.  We have only had facetime conversations with them throughout the lockdown. 

Ahh lovely. I know we all know but it’s made us realise people are the most important things in our lives.

• Like 3

My Mum and Dad made it to our garden yesterday afternoon for my mum’s birthday. Not the glorious sunny day I’d hoped for but we managed ok. I was wondering about opening all the windows and the back door and put the heating on 😀 but we stayed outside with our coats on!

• Like 1

That’s lovely for you Josy [emoji4] FaceTime is great but isn’t quite the same is it?
I’ve seen my baby grandson & my daughter a couple of times in our garden in the last few weeks, I bawled my eyes out the first time they left here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 4

Ladies and gentlemen 

the achievement for 2020 (as let’s face it it’s not going to be a good year) 

my girls learning to ride a bike. 

52F5576F-0C1C-4AD4-B72A-2BB1C22C29C9.thumb.png.0ef1133e033bb700f7ea4fc5ba747f05.png

02571E41-2D2C-42F8-8447-7A8A5FA6C51B.thumb.png.e996df9acf1c9e3ae98cb7297281f4b2.png

C6A8F3B2-4416-45D3-BF89-5917AB78D490.thumb.png.cf9544e87ea9745b4b7cccf413597e27.png

2F7AC2A5-CDF1-49A3-91A2-2C9363E27309.thumb.png.b08b9b70ddb8b5117e7a48a57ef9a9c3.png

Scarlett learnt on Sunday. Georgia got it today. 
They are flying past us now. Can start themselves, brake and stop properly. 
We just need to work on cornering now. 

next stop bmx stunts 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Ladies and gentlemen 

52F5576F-0C1C-4AD4-B72A-2BB1C22C29C9.thumb.png.0ef1133e033bb700f7ea4fc5ba747f05.png

02571E41-2D2C-42F8-8447-7A8A5FA6C51B.thumb.png.e996df9acf1c9e3ae98cb7297281f4b2.png

C6A8F3B2-4416-45D3-BF89-5917AB78D490.thumb.png.cf9544e87ea9745b4b7cccf413597e27.png

2F7AC2A5-CDF1-49A3-91A2-2C9363E27309.thumb.png.b08b9b70ddb8b5117e7a48a57ef9a9c3.png

next stop bmx stunts 

Excellent! Made me smile. Now buy them some Converse so they will be as cool as us old uns !

• Like 2

Things in sunny Cardiff are okay.

Obviously lockdown has lasted longer here and we are still even now only to go out locally and very limited.

Starbucks and McDonald's have just reopened and hoping the rest will follow soon.

Just keep crossing my fingers hoping people don't cause a second spike so we can all get back to cruising!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Ladies and gentlemen 

next stop bmx stunts

Brilliant 😍

Another good day. I just got a call from the Mazda dealer, my new car has been delivered this morning, the bad news is due to having reduced staff I can't pick it up until next Wednesday.  At least I have something to look forward to.

• Like 3

Hi everyone,

hope you are all keeping safe in these very strange times. 
We received a phone call from son, daughter in law & granddaughter on Sunday using Facebook portal, it was fab!!!

Not to be left behind by technology my hubby bought one on Monday, it’s great!!! It’s like having a proper conversation sat on your sofa and you can read books to them and it puts animation on you face turning you into a pig or wolf as hubby was reading The Three little Pigs.

Highly recommenced, how quickly technology is changing 

Michelle 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Ladies and gentlemen 

next stop bmx stunts 

Make sure they use the brakes for stopping😉. When my youngest learned to ride she insisted on using her feet as brakes. I think the average was 1 pair of new trainers every 3/4 weeks. We could never get her out if the habit.😆

Avril 

It’s lovely to see Vamp’s girls having fun on their bikes!  Important that the kids have fun and don’t grow up scared of their shadows.  It can’t be easy parenting just now.  I tell myself, when I’m having a grumbly day, that we have it easy compared with many.  No job worry or money worry - just the minor inconvenience that this bloody thing might kill us if we meet up with it! 🙄

It’s not a grumbly day today, despite the weather being dull and cooler.  It’s a great day because, for only the second time since lockdown we are having pizza delivered tonight, from our local ‘proper’ Italian 🍕. Pizza and The Repair Shop on telly.  Joy! 😊

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

It’s not a grumbly day today, despite the weather being dull and cooler.  It’s a great day because, for only the second time since lockdown we are having pizza delivered tonight, from our local ‘proper’ Italian 🍕. Pizza and The Repair Shop on telly.  Joy! 😊

Real pizza..... mm.... enjoy.

Also on tonight at 9 is a lady called Bettany going round the Greek Isles.  I think it's a series.

She is newly found by me.. she did a documentary/tour of Pompeii and it was one of the best documentaries I have seen

Ah great.  Yes.  Bettany Hughes.  
I saw the Pompeii programme last week and really enjoyed it.  I expect I’ve put a series link reminder on for tonight but thanks for the extra ‘heads up’

The day improves ... 🙂

An interesting article from the New York Times

511 epidemiologists were asked when they anticipate resuming various activities. I think their responses are quite salutary.  Cruises weren’t mentioned but they’re not keen on flying ...

Here’s the link.  You may have to register with the NYT but it’s subscription-free and they have interesting stuff

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/06/08/upshot/when-epidemiologists-will-do-everyday-things-coronavirus.html

How are we all today? 

it’s been raining here but that didn’t stop us. I did my working from home for a few hours and then went back to the lake where we taught the girls to ride. We are trying to go over different terrain to get them used to it and they are flying. 
scarlett’s so good she looks like she’s been riding years and Georgia just scares me. She is a maniac. But we have only had one fall each. Both now have matching grazes on one knee. Both fell as they tried to ride one handed. 

looks like I will now have to find a bike so we can all go. 

not really sure what I think about the news tonight. Good that I can probably go see my gran. 
I try not to read to much of it. It’s all madness anyway. 

Unfortunately long day at work for me tomorrow which will probably be followed by more bike riding. But I think we are going to get a takeaway tomorrow. Joy! It’s the little things.  

• Like 4

On 6/10/2020 at 9:09 PM, indiana123 said:

Ooooh  I am so very sorry...I think I got the wrong day for Bettany Hughes.   I was so sure it was today. I think its Friday..AZ Greek Odyssey

My apologies but hope the pizza was good

Got it!

Channel 5 tonight & then on series link.  Sounds good.

Cod, chorizo & butter bean casserole à la P&O will set us up nicely for a spot of history.

Did you catch the National Theatre production of The Madness of George III?  Started on YouTube last night and available till next Thursday.  Mark Gatiss is spectacular.

Today we are anticipating rain tho’ it’s ok so far.  We’ll get some sort of a walk in before the rain and are scheduled for a bit of stretch/semi-yoga later.  I don’t intend coming out of this thing “old and stiff” - if we ever come out, of course.

Has anyone ever got into online genealogy?  It sounds an interesting pursuit but I wonder if it just fizzles out after you’ve used census material to go back a generation beyond your grandparents?

27 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Got it!

Channel 5 tonight & then on series link.  Sounds good.

Cod, chorizo & butter bean casserole à la P&O will set us up nicely for a spot of history.

Did you catch the National Theatre production of The Madness of George III?  Started on YouTube last night and available till next Thursday.  Mark Gatiss is spectacular.

Today we are anticipating rain tho’ it’s ok so far.  We’ll get some sort of a walk in before the rain and are scheduled for a bit of stretch/semi-yoga later.  I don’t intend coming out of this thing “old and stiff” - if we ever come out, of course.

Has anyone ever got into online genealogy?  It sounds an interesting pursuit but I wonder if it just fizzles out after you’ve used census material to go back a generation beyond your grandparents?

Didn't see it, but Mark Gatiss is always excellent.

The wife has done some research via Ancestry, and a lot depends on your own particular family as to how how far back you can get.  Time consuming, interesting, but ultimately you usually reach a point from which you can't get any further.

You do discover some odd things - we discovered, for example, that by coincidence we lived at one point about 400m from where my grandmother had lived as a child.  We had no idea at all when we were living there, and it wasn't even a place local to any of us.

• Like 1

What a coincidence!  I have a butterfly brain it skips around from subject to subject so we were lucky to find a very very good Geneologist with a good price for tracing one line at a time.  It is fascinating, especially that my great great grandparents  lived and were married at the church nearby  where I lived and its not somewhere I heard about before I moved there.

I would like to try to find out more about the people....so  I am doubly interested in any replies as to which is the best site to find out information.  I have all the dates of birth etc and addresses.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

What a coincidence!  I have a butterfly brain it skips around from subject to subject so we were lucky to find a very very good Geneologist with a good price for tracing one line at a time.  It is fascinating, especially that my great great grandparents  lived and were married at the church nearby  where I lived and its not somewhere I heard about before I moved there.

I would like to try to find out more about the people....so  I am doubly interested in any replies as to which is the best site to find out information.  I have all the dates of birth etc and addresses.

Ancestry is the best known website, but it’s quite pricey.  There are plenty of offers around though, and discounted prices vary a lot.

Accessible for free from most libraries though.

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

Ancestry is the one. One month £13.99 you can access public members trees on that site also, to see if any one else has been researching your line. I starting on the Morman site called familyhistory, and moved to the Ancestry site at a later date. Found it to have more elements that could be researched. I found going back in time was interesting in the first place, but got more out of it by bringing the family lines back to today, and as such, have a great many cousins that I knew nothing about, including there existance, and now meet up with some of them quite reguarly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, indiana123 said:

My husband uses the Find my Past website, I think it's around £10 a month, but he stops his subscription when he hasn't got to time to use it, then starts it up again when it suits him.

He's managed to trace one branch of my family back to the 1800's

Edited by SarahHben
  • Like 2