Final payment strategy

Bruin Steve

I've been wavering on this ever since this whole thing started...

And it is quickly coming to a head...I have my final payment dates coming up quickly on back-to-back cruises July 5 and 12 on Infinity...

Right now, I still have my money--except for the deposits--which were originally "non-refundable"...Of course, we're really not sure what that means anymore.

The cruises are from Rome to Venice and Venice to Rome--so, it seems exceedingly doubtful that they will happen...or at best, that they will happen with those itineraries...

Of course, whatever Celebrity is likely to do, they haven't clued us in yet (and, yes, I understand that they probably don't yet know exactly what they might be doing).  However, they still seem to expect us to make those rather large final payments...in our case, forking over another $8 or 9 thousand dollars...Their attitude has been "Don't worry, you are covered" due to the policy that they will somehow refund the money--I guess as a future cruise credit...even give us an FCC of as much as 125%.

Of course, first thing to ask is what a 125% FCC is REALLY worth?  I tend to purchase my cruises early and to take advantage of special offers as they come up...So, on these cruises, I'm paying what would normally have been a fairly low price for my category and have gratuities, a drink package and a very large amount of OBC thrown in...OTOH, that 125% OBC is merely the dollar amount I have given them times 1.25 without consideration of the perks or the deal...So, if I want to rebook for some time later when all is deemed as safe, what I get is that dollar amount toward whatever the then-going deal is--which MAY have zero perks or higher prices or whatever...and, in the meanwhile, they have MY money...And, due to the continued health threats, personal schedule, desirability of itineraries, etc., it may be some time until that next cruise...So, we'd be, in effect, paying for a cruise a good deal of time in advance...Not to mention the risk of a bankruptcy completely cancelling that FCC...

So, it really appears that there is no real option other than to cancel outright and wait.  If things are back to normal by July and those cruises are still in place...or the ships are relocated to another itinerary that we might want to take...AND we feel at that time that we are not personally at risk...Then, logic tells us that a great number of people would have cancelled...and Celebrity would be left with a very short time to market a large number of empty cabins in an environment where many people might be backing away from even cruising at all...And so, should we want to take our planned vacation this summer anyway, we might be better off just doing a brand new booking at what might be a new deeply discounted rate...???

I very much doubt that when cruising does eventually start again that they will be deeply discounted. There will be thousands who have not had a vacation all year who will be desperate to travel (myself included!) and the cruise companies will need to recoup their huge losses.

• Like 2

Just now, GerScot said:

I very much doubt that when cruising does eventually start again that they will be deeply discounted. There will be thousands who have not had a vacation all year who will be desperate to travel (myself included!) and the cruise companies will need to recoup their huge losses.

GerScott - when cruising resumes prices will be high. But most likely not because of cruise companies keeping prices high. Rather thousands of people with FCC along with pent up demand from goodness knows how many months of not cruising.

Steve - the non refundable depoits are peanuts compared to both the possibility of losing it all, Celebrity changing its policies and being forced to book on their time schedule.

Do you want the stress of waiting until maybe a couple weeks before your cruise on what to do? Or would moving on be better in reducing your stress?

Your decision.

• Like 2

Not quite the same situation, but we had paid in full and had cruise cancelled at 8 days notice.

So we had the option of the 125% FCC or cash refund. We left off making a decision for nearly a week just to let the dust settle and gather our thoughts.

Couple of days ago we decided to take cash refund. I’ll be honest that the outcome was not based on concerns about the financial viability of Celebrity, but largely by the uncertainty of what the future in general might hold.

To our minds, there are just too many unknowns to leave large amounts of cash in others pockets.

Obviously, different folks might have different thoughts.............

• Like 2

I've been contemplating the exact same thing. I have the Infinity June 21 Rome-Venice booked in a suite at a very good price with a great deal of OBC and 4 perks. I have until Monday to decide if I'm going to make final payment or cancel and hope my non-refundable deposit gets converted to a FCC.  I am torn between paying and hoping for the best or cancelling and trying to book something when this is all behind us. Even if Italy is somewhat back to normal by mid-June, I'm in the US and know there is the chance that there could be travel restrictions against US travelers at that time. When all this started, I was getting emails about how they were doing more cleaning and screening, but people still got off ships and tested positive for the virus. I really wish Celebrity would push final payment to 60 days to give everyone a chance to see what happens in the next 30 days before committing. Good luck with whatever you choose.

• Like 2

Just my opinion...

Too many variables... Italy, airlines,  hotels, ports, cruiseline, can you get a med note if needed ??????

Too expensive a trip to worry about  for months. Uncertainty of usefulnes of FCC.

I would cancel before final payment, esp if  you have a refundable deposit.....take your  own money back for now...anthing else is a gamble.

Once you decide, be at peace and don't second guess your decision. That's what we have done for 2 cruises we really were psyched about...and  cancelled. Sad but  less stress.

• Like 8

Rather than cancel and possibly loose non refundable deposit or pay up why not see if you can transfer your booking to something similar a year from now...Celebrity surely would be happy to secure a future booking, you have lost nothing and gained time and a ‘cruise to look forward to’ when this awful situation is over...

I am aware you are from the US so your booking conditions are different from ours...in the U.K. it would be free to do this if you are Elite or above and £75 x 2 to do this if not...Worth a phone call.

Because we sail in suites our cruise costs are always high so I pay some each month.  We had a lot paid on our December cruise and I started to worry about losing that much money.  I cancelled on the phone on Monday and lost the $200 NRD and have a $700 FCC. As the concierge was cancelling the cruise the suite popped up on line for the same price.  I moved a place holder and rebooked the suite with only a $200 deposit. If we don't cruise this year we will have lost $400 and will use the FCC for our Alaska 2021 cruise.

We have a B2B2B scheduled beginning in late September so final payments  start in June.  Hours have been spent researching and booking independent tours, hotels and air travel.  So we are facing the same dilemma and decided to book a similar B2B ( timing didn’t work for the 3rd  leg) for spring 2021.   Since ports are the same we are hoping to use the same tour guides we have booked for this fall.

Now if things don’t look promising for the fall 2020 B2B2B cancelling won’t be as difficult a decision or as disappointing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Just my opinion...

Too many variables... Italy, airlines,  hotels, ports, cruiseline, can you get a med note if needed ??????

Too expensive a trip to worry about  for months. Uncertainty of usefulnes of FCC.

I would cancel before final payment, esp if  you have a refundable deposit.....take your  own money back for now...anthing else is a gamble.

Once you decide, be at peace and don't second guess your decision. That's what we have done for 2 cruises we really were psyched about...and  cancelled. Sad but  less stress.

This.

We are healthy but it is too difficult to tell what ports if any will be open and if there is still a chance of having the 2 week quarantine.  It is difficult to let go of a cruise that you are all excited about and have planned for over a year...

If you cancel before final payment you are in control.

If by chance,  the ports open up, Corona goes away, and the planets align you can rebook.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 4

@bruin steve It may be in your best interest to cancel and ride it out until it is determined exactly which sailings are likely to leave which ports... and when.

Otherwise it is a gamble, for sure, especially if a concern is about the FCC, too.

bon voyage

• Like 1

OP - If you cancel/rebook for the future and stars align to permit travel in the summer, would you think about a land based trip with independent local tours?  Land based trips put more money into the local economy than cruises and for those determined to travel, it also gives people more flexibility (especially refundable bookings) to adjust plans at their own will rather than the cruise lines.  It also has more personal space for most.

Once people pay (saying yes), they have different considerations which generally allows the marketing department to entice them to say yes even more.  Echoing NMTraveller.

3 hours ago, voyager1964 said:

What is your air situation? When contemplating the cancel and wait option, do you want to keep air intact?

My air is LAX-MXP and FCO-LAX on a refundable airfare through Celebrity Choice Air...But I doubt if we'd be flying into MXP now for any reason.  IF, the cruise still goes out of Rome--AND we feel safe going, we'd likely take a flight much closer to the sail date, flying directly into FCO...BUT, right now, even if the cruise was a "go", I have serious doubts if even FCO/Rome/Civitavecchia is a likely embarkation port...

1 hour ago, travelpeon said:

OP - If you cancel/rebook for the future and stars align to permit travel in the summer, would you think about a land based trip with independent local tours?  Land based trips put more money into the local economy than cruises and for those determined to travel, it also gives people more flexibility (especially refundable bookings) to adjust plans at their own will rather than the cruise lines.  It also has more personal space for most.

Once people pay (saying yes), they have different considerations which generally allows the marketing department to entice them to say yes even more.  Echoing NMTraveller.

If there's no "pandemic", I don't have a problem with cruising--and prefer it to a bus tour anytime.  I believe your odds of getting ill on a bus tour are also pretty high--you're crammed together with 40 others for long hours on a bus...and staying in large hotels, etc.  I have three cousins who were on a ski vacation in the Italian Alps with a group of 15--and ALL 15 came down with Covid-19...I think cruise ships get a bad rap because it's easier to track where it's coming from when all passengers are on the same schedule and in the same place.  An epidemic would sweep through the Las Vegas strip area or through Disney pretty much to a greater effect than on a cruise ship--as there are even more people touching the same handrails and door knobs, etc.

We would prefer to cruise for a multitude of reasons...of course, we also want to make sure it will be safe and enjoyable.  If pre-payment were not an issue, we would clearly wait and see...

The question now is between 1) paying another $6000+ NOW toward an unknown (in addition to the $1000 deposit we already have invested and the $700 Celebrity credit that carried over from another issue) PLUS about $2000 in airfare--maybe toward a route that will be impossible to fly...so, a total of $7789/$9789, then waiting to see if we really have a cruise or not...

Then cancelling in favor of a 125% FCC (not sure how they compute this--on actual cruise fare cash...or...total cash with air...or total price with air and credit?)...which could be as much as over $12000...or more likely, the air is refunded and X gives me a credit of $9736. We then put that toward our already booked April 2021 Japan and TransPacific cruises--currently booked at a total of $7947 but with $1800 in deposits already paid--so, those would be paid off a year ahead of the cruise--with about $3600 left over with which to book yet another cruise before the FCC expires...versus...2)  NOT paying the remainder, getting our $1000 back (hopefully not being forced to pay a penalty due to the non-refundable part)...and just waiting it all out...

IF one could trust Celebrity to be remain in business, it would almost be like investing $8-10,000 for a year at 25% interest...BUT, like all investments, those big returns also mean high risk...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No cruising for us until they find a vaccine. We did not pay final payment for our cruise to Alaska in May. Lucky we booked on board and just moved it along to next year and kept our on board credit. We will keep doing that until it is safe to cruise/travel again. Needless to say we have flights to Vancouver and hotel paid in full....

On a side issue we have two package trips booked.....both 3 nights one to Krakow and one to Paris.....travel company telling us now......trips postpone not cancelled.....Don’t expect refunds there.....lot of travel companies will not survive this.

Europe is almost in lockdown....keep your hard earned money until it is safe to travel again!!

• Like 1

I think cruise companies must come up with innovative ideas that also should be supported by general public, otherwise it is hard to believe the situation will remedy itself by the summer. What those innovative ideas could be? Have them test 100% for the virus at embarkation? Require everyone on board to wear a face mask? Who knows

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

If there's no "pandemic", I don't have a problem with cruising--and prefer it to a bus tour anytime.  I believe your odds of getting ill on a bus tour are also pretty high--you're crammed together with 40 others for long hours on a bus...and staying in large hotels, etc. 

Perhaps I'm not estimating correctly how many CC'ers would stitch together their own travel plans (hotel, train fare/rental car, 3-8 hour local city tour) vs book a "Italy in 14 days" package bus-type tour.  I know plenty of cruisers do book airfare, cruise, pre-cruise hotel from a travel agent and rely on the cruise line's excursions.  Some people like all inclusive vacations at beach type resorts or a few weeks in Hawaii.  There's others who basically plan everything themselves and use the ship as transportation, lodging, and certain meals.

Just pointing out an alternative style of travel.  DIY travel is not for everyone, for sure, but does give some options at this time who have the means and the will. 

It sounds like that's not what you prefer so it's option 1 vs option 2.  What's the potential return on the number for option 2?  Would you use or invest the money elsewhere?

29 minutes ago, travelpeon said:

Perhaps I'm not estimating correctly how many CC'ers would stitch together their own travel plans (hotel, train fare/rental car, 3-8 hour local city tour) vs book a "Italy in 14 days" package bus-type tour.  I know plenty of cruisers do book airfare, cruise, pre-cruise hotel from a travel agent and rely on the cruise line's excursions.  Some people like all inclusive vacations at beach type resorts or a few weeks in Hawaii.  There's others who basically plan everything themselves and use the ship as transportation, lodging, and certain meals.

Just pointing out an alternative style of travel.  DIY travel is not for everyone, for sure, but does give some options at this time who have the means and the will. 

It sounds like that's not what you prefer so it's option 1 vs option 2.  What's the potential return on the number for option 2?  Would you use or invest the money elsewhere?

We are closing in on 60 cruises...but, typically, that's not all we do...

I typically book a cruise...then build a much longer vacation around that.  For example, the plan this time was to fly in to Milan 10 days ahead of our first cruise, rent a car and drive immediately to Lugano, Switzerland for a night, then Lucerne for two nights and Lauterbrunnen for two nights...then head down to Portovenere Italy for three nights visiting the Cinque Terre...then to Civitavecchia for the night before the first cruise...turn in the rental car and spend the night prior there.  Then, two weeks of back-to-back cruising after which, we had transportation arranged to our favorite hotel in Rome, then two nights there and a ride to FCO for the flight home.  We usually book private tours in each cruise port--or, if we know the port well, often just go on our own...BUT, for this one, since we had a large amount of cruise line OBC, we just booked shorexes--not our favorite method of touring, but it worked here...So, overall, a combination of cruises and touring on our own...

BUT, that is not really the question here...IF it's safe to visit these same places on our own, then I expect it will be safe for the cruise line as well--so, we won't have to make that choice of replacing our cruise with a land trip.  Problem is that my current expectation is that it will NOT be determined to be safe for either.  And it is LESS likely that my pre-cruise plans in Northern Italy and Switzerland will be deemed safe than the cruise itself...Odds are that even if they decide it's safe to be cruising Rome to Venice to Rome between July 5 and 19, that traveling around the North of Italy on the 24th of June through the 5th of July would possibly even disqualify me from boarding a ship on July 5...So, the pre-cruise land trip I planned looks even less probable than the cruise itself.  AND, if the cruise is OFF because they've deemed it unsafe somehow, then I certainly am not replacing it with a completely land-based trip through the same part of the world.

For me, overall, I love cruises--I love to board a ship, unpack, and kick back--get served, get entertained, have them pour me drinks and take me to a different place each day without me having to deal with logistics...OTOH, I also recognize IU can't see everything that way and won't get the total experience--so, my structure works perfectly for me...best of both worlds.  And doing the bulk of my "on my own" as a pre-cruise, I get to get the "work" out of the way first, then relax for the back end.

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

And it is quickly coming to a head...I have my final payment dates coming up quickly on back-to-back cruises July 5 and 12 on Infinity...

Right now, I still have my money--except for the deposits--which were originally "non-refundable"...Of course, we're really not sure what that means anymore.

The cruises are from Rome to Venice and Venice to Rome--so, it seems exceedingly doubtful that they will happen...or at best, that they will happen with those itineraries...

Of course, whatever Celebrity is likely to do, they haven't clued us in yet (and, yes, I understand that they probably don't yet know exactly what they might be doing).  However, they still seem to expect us to make those rather large final payments...in our case, forking over another $8 or 9 thousand dollars...Their attitude has been "Don't worry, you are covered" due to the policy that they will somehow refund the money--I guess as a future cruise credit...even give us an FCC of as much as 125%.

Of course, first thing to ask is what a 125% FCC is REALLY worth?  I tend to purchase my cruises early and to take advantage of special offers as they come up...So, on these cruises, I'm paying what would normally have been a fairly low price for my category and have gratuities, a drink package and a very large amount of OBC thrown in...OTOH, that 125% OBC is merely the dollar amount I have given them times 1.25 without consideration of the perks or the deal...So, if I want to rebook for some time later when all is deemed as safe, what I get is that dollar amount toward whatever the then-going deal is--which MAY have zero perks or higher prices or whatever...and, in the meanwhile, they have MY money...And, due to the continued health threats, personal schedule, desirability of itineraries, etc., it may be some time until that next cruise...So, we'd be, in effect, paying for a cruise a good deal of time in advance...Not to mention the risk of a bankruptcy completely cancelling that FCC...

So, it really appears that there is no real option other than to cancel outright and wait.  If things are back to normal by July and those cruises are still in place...or the ships are relocated to another itinerary that we might want to take...AND we feel at that time that we are not personally at risk...Then, logic tells us that a great number of people would have cancelled...and Celebrity would be left with a very short time to market a large number of empty cabins in an environment where many people might be backing away from even cruising at all...And so, should we want to take our planned vacation this summer anyway, we might be better off just doing a brand new booking at what might be a new deeply discounted rate...???

Keep as much of your money yours as possible it gives you greatest flexibility 

• Like 3

So very sad...

People are loosing ther lives daily now.

We simply don't have enough medical resources for the potential wave of people needing care.

The cruise industry is on verge of collapse.

People across the world have lost their jobs.

Cruise ship employees are being sent home.

Retirement accounts have been destroyed.

Kids can't go to school.

All this discussion about how to best benefit from this travesty makes me so sad.

Today I am thinking about how I can financially, emotionally or spiritually help a family member, friend or neighbor.  I have

prepaid over 1-years worth of services from several of the local merchants in my community. I hope they are still healthy and in business when this virus has been contained.  Should their business fail, I surely don't expect them to pay me back.  I realize the merchant in my town is different that a major corporation, but you get the idea.  Cruise lines employ people who need to feed their families around the world.  

I am remembering all the smiling faces that have taken care of me while on vacation... The memories are forever.  Can you imagine being in their position today?  There must be a way we can help out all those wonderful people that have contributed to our happiness while on a cruise ship. 

I hope someday to meet some of you in person and we can toast to surviving this virus and celebrating with our extended cruise family.

Time to pray if prayer works for you.

12 hours ago, Sam.Seattle said:

So very sad...

People are loosing ther lives daily now.

We simply don't have enough medical resources for the potential wave of people needing care.

The cruise industry is on verge of collapse.

People across the world have lost their jobs.

Cruise ship employees are being sent home.

Retirement accounts have been destroyed.

Kids can't go to school.

All this discussion about how to best benefit from this travesty makes me so sad.

Today I am thinking about how I can financially, emotionally or spiritually help a family member, friend or neighbor.  I have

prepaid over 1-years worth of services from several of the local merchants in my community. I hope they are still healthy and in business when this virus has been contained.  Should their business fail, I surely don't expect them to pay me back.  I realize the merchant in my town is different that a major corporation, but you get the idea.  Cruise lines employ people who need to feed their families around the world.  

I am remembering all the smiling faces that have taken care of me while on vacation... The memories are forever.  Can you imagine being in their position today?  There must be a way we can help out all those wonderful people that have contributed to our happiness while on a cruise ship. 

I hope someday to meet some of you in person and we can toast to surviving this virus and celebrating with our extended cruise family.

Time to pray if prayer works for you.

Sam,

I hope you feel a lot better after that long chastisement...

I will try to NOT take it personally...

I just want you to know that I may have been affected by all of this far more than you.  I have three close relatives who have been ill with Covid-19...one of whom is 75 years old and another who was just released from the hospital.  I have a daughter and a son-in-law who have both already lost their jobs due to the pandemic.  My wife and I have already lost a major chunk of our retirement funds due to the current market. We always donate sizable amounts to charities but have also now made additional contributions to charities in response to the current crisis (The LA Food Bank for one).

But I do resent your characterizing my posts as looking for "how to best benefit from this travesty"...

I AM looking for what many others here are looking for--how to deal with the current situation as it regards to our future cruise reservations.  After all, that is actually the main purpose of THIS message board.  And, having been sequestered at home for several days running with little diversion, we have plenty of time to think about both the present crisis...and to consider the many plans and obligations we have...Our obligations, at present, include these upcoming final cruise payments.

In fact, we spend SO MUCH of our time thinking about and living with the current crisis and its effects on us and on those around us that a little diversion like considering our future vacation plans is much NEEDED...

My wife is retiring at the end of this school year after a long, difficult and underpaid and underappreciated career as a School Psychologist with the Los Angeles Unified School District.  She has worked increasingly long hours with some of the worst cases among children anywhere...in a district that's overburdened and underfunded.  As she approaches that career end, she has been trying to keep one eye on that light at the end of the tunnel--the fact that she was going to leave her job on June 19 and fly away on a wonderful trip to Europe...Instead, she is working from home while school is closed--churning out reports with little to look forward to.  She doesn't even know if the school calendar will be extended and her retirement postponed.

So, this trip was very important to us...and the current situation is extremely disheartening.

I am NOT looking for "how to profit" off it...rather how to salvage it...and when...and at what price (Remember, we have lost a considerable part of our retirement funds--and that brings on questions about our ability to spend money on these things).  So, yes, we have tough decisions to make on whether to cancel the cruise altogether, whether to make the payment, when to reschedule anything, etc.  AND we need to consider how both the policies and the solvency of the company that holds our money affects those decisions.

And THIS being a forum in which to discus such things seemed an appropriate place to do just that.  Heaven knows, we are bombarded with all things regarding the Covid-19 pandemic from every other source...It's most of what we see on TV, it's most of our phone or email conversation with friends and relatives, it's most of our discussions between ourselves while we sit at home completely isolated 24 hours a day.  AND, it's become a part of these boards as well...BUT we also need these boards to create a little diversion for ourselves as well...

• Like 3

Sometimes  analyzing  the same facts over &  over can  cause stress and anxiety. Not healthy for you.

I would suggest you set a deadline based on your cruise contracts, and on that date, make your best decision based on currently available info.

That's what we did. We  may not have gotten the best cancellation deal and lost the cost of sev ins policies...but we now have peace.  Sometimes you just have to " let it go".  That's what we did with 2 special cruises we really wanted to experience..  Just waiting for refunds to our card..

Hope this helps!

• Like 4

On 3/21/2020 at 3:13 PM, Bruin Steve said:

Easy answer, cancel

• Like 1