PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

On 3/9/2021 at 10:58 AM, Thrak said:

The washer that broke down was a 15 year old Whirlpool front loader. They don't make things like they used to. With the old style Whirlpool washers I could have kept it running for 30 - 35 years without breaking the bank. They were (mostly) easy to work on and parts were readily available and nor horribly expensive. (The hardest job on them was actually just changing the belt. If one didn't know how it could make a person crazy trying to figure it out.) The old style Whirlpool dryers were also super easy to maintain. These days everything is run with electronics. It's like cars. They used to be user serviceable but now are all full of electronics.

My mom's front load washer had some sort of electronic rebellion. the door locked, and no one could get it to open. A repairman finally pried it open so she could get the laundry out.  They replaced it with a top loader.

2 minutes ago, donswife said:

My mom's front load washer had some sort of electronic rebellion. the door locked, and no one could get it to open. A repairman finally pried it open so she could get the laundry out.  They replaced it with a top loader.

Wow. That's a MORONIC repairman. Every one of those has a manual release. You take off a panel and pull the tab down and the door opens.

7 hours ago, donswife said:

I'm curious.  What did the incompetent repairman charge you to destroy your washer?

I got my second shot on Wed the 10th;  an hour after getting my shot,  my arm swelled up with hives.  I put some benadryl cream on and it went away.  No other issues so I am good to go.  

• Like 2

We had a nice spell of spring weather for the past few days, however, winter is back tomorrow. I took the opportunity to break out the shorts. DW got her first Moderna shot today, so far so good! 

Remember to spring forward this weekend and support the efforts to make this the last year we have to!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 1980dory said:

I'm curious.  What did the incompetent repairman charge you to destroy your washer?

I have no clue.  I just know it involved a lot of phone calls and visits. They live in a small town on the Oregon coast. Unbelievable. 

We were having fridge problems 2 months ago and figured it was a great excuse to get a new one.  Apparently there is a big backlog for appliances (at least for refrigerators) so we went online for repair help, and fixed it ourselves.  Whew!  Of course, if it hadn't been a simple repair we would have been in trouble.

Edited by LoriPhil
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

We were having fridge problems 2 months ago and figured it was a great excuse to get a new one.  Apparently there is a big backlog for appliances (at least for refrigerators) so we went online for repair help, and fixed it ourselves.  Whew!  Of course, if it hadn't been a simple repair we would have been in trouble.

Once the pandemic started, the factories were closed for about two months.  Meanwhile, people were buying up in stock appliances to store extra food.  Our fridge broke during the summer.  A lot of refrigerators were on back order by a couple of months.  We were lucky and found what we wanted in stock.  This also applies to other appliances.

Just read that the US jumped to 2.9 million jabs (love that term) in one day! Now that is very encouraging to get where we need to be. My hope is all the other countries can do the same now. Most positive I felt in a long time 🙂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dickinson said:

Once the pandemic started, the factories were closed for about two months.  Meanwhile, people were buying up in stock appliances to store extra food.  Our fridge broke during the summer.  A lot of refrigerators were on back order by a couple of months.  We were lucky and found what we wanted in stock.  This also applies to other appliances.

A while ago when our fridge of 20 years decided to give up, luckily we had our Engel camping fridge along with an Engel that we use as a freezer. 

Last Fall, we had a major storm which knocked out our power. Apparently, it fried

the "motherboard" on our refrigerator and we thought we would need a new frig. Well, after some research we found a company that said it was probably the motherboard, due to us not having a surge protector. They sent us a new motherboard and guess what? That was the issue and we saved at least $1800.00. Surge protectors are important.

6 hours ago, donswife said:

I have no clue.  I just know it involved a lot of phone calls and visits. They live in a small town on the Oregon coast. Unbelievable. 

In situations of that sort youtube is your friend.

• Like 1

Some signs of spring slowly emerging here in East Coast of Canada. Due to some great decisions only 4-5 new cases in entire province this week.....went out to a restaurant for first time in a year last night and vaccines coming in next few weeks....

• Like 5

5 hours ago, mcgratru said:

Some signs of spring slowly emerging here in East Coast of Canada. Due to some great decisions only 4-5 new cases in entire province this week.....went out to a restaurant for first time in a year last night and vaccines coming in next few weeks....

Great decisions made by your authorities.

Ontario is not doing nearly as well. Where we live, restaurants are still closed except for take out.  DH and I are scheduled for vaccinations this coming week.

• Like 1

Sunshine and mostly blue skies - currently 79 - projected low tonight around 60

Fully vaccinated , now 5 weeks past 2nd Pfizer shot(s)

Bike week wrapping up - very few mask wearers according to the 'news' reports ( but , hey - it wouldn't be 'news' otherwise )

Spring Break kicking in - our schools are out next week - don't expect to see many mask wearers in those pics, either

we had to replace the washer months ago - who knew the washer had a 'transmission' - only thing we could get immediately was a glorified Amana apartment sized unit - but it's done the job - ours are mainly small loads for just the 2 of us

stay safe

stay hydrated

Spring Forward - I used to love the 'extra' daylight at night - now, not so much ...

• Like 2

UPDATE ...

Nearly a year after California Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered the nation’s first statewide shutdown because of the coronavirus, masks remain mandated, indoor dining and other activities are significantly limited, and Disneyland remains closed.

By contrast, Florida has no statewide restrictions. Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis has prohibited municipalities from fining people who refuse to wear masks. And Disney World has been open since July.

Despite their differing approaches, California and Florida have experienced almost identical outcomes in COVID-19 case rates.

48 minutes ago, voljeep said:

UPDATE ...

Nearly a year after California Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered the nation’s first statewide shutdown because of the coronavirus, masks remain mandated, indoor dining and other activities are significantly limited, and Disneyland remains closed.

By contrast, Florida has no statewide restrictions. Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis has prohibited municipalities from fining people who refuse to wear masks. And Disney World has been open since July.

Despite their differing approaches, California and Florida have experienced almost identical outcomes in COVID-19 case rates.

Current positivity rate Florida 7% California 2%. Not exactly the same. Spring break just starting. And no I don’t live in either

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, memoak said:

Current positivity rate Florida 7% California 2%. Not exactly the same. Spring break just starting. And no I don’t live in either

California and Florida both have a COVID-19 case rate of around 8,900 per 100,000 residents since the pandemic began, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And both rank in the middle among states for COVID-19 death rates — Florida was 27th as of Friday; California was 28th.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

California and Florida both have a COVID-19 case rate of around 8,900 per 100,000 residents since the pandemic began, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. And both rank in the middle among states for COVID-19 death rates — Florida was 27th as of Friday; California was 28th.

But as of yesterday California was done to around 4,000 per 100,000 per CDC stats

• Like 2

I live in California and if I accepted the current vaccine I could get it tomorrow.  I still want J&J.

Booking a wine country trip (yes staying close to home unfortunately) for May or June. I'll be sitting on the deck of https://www.littleriverinn.com/ . Poor replacement for summer cruise but Koda will enjoy that vaca spot. 

Edited by Ombud

5 hours ago, voljeep said:

If CA didn't have the restrictions they did, their numbers would have been  a LOT higher than Florida's.  If Florida had restrictions, their numbers would have been a lot lower.  Just think of all the people who wouldn't have died in FL and in CA all the more people who would have died.  

We may have different viewpoints but you can't compare the numbers without looking at other facts.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dickinson said:

If CA didn't have the restrictions they did, their numbers would have been  a LOT higher than Florida's.  If Florida had restrictions, their numbers would have been a lot lower.  Just think of all the people who wouldn't have died in FL and in CA all the more people who would have died.  

We may have different viewpoints but you can't compare the numbers without looking at other facts.

State has 2 different mindsets.  LA region : no masking, many breaking curfew. NoCal : public shaming for not wearing mask.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ombud said:

State has 2 different mindsets.  LA region : no masking, many breaking curfew. NoCal : public shaming for not wearing mask.

Not totally accurate. Tehama County residents don't really seem interested in wearing masks or taking any type of precaution. They have been dining indoors for months and if you visit downtown Red Bluff or go into a store there you will see very few masks. We find it a bit boggling.

Note: We do not live in Tehama County but our daughter does.

Was it Tehama, Alpine, or Butte that had barely any cases? It has been considerably lighter in the region near Oregon

My nephew lives in Orange and had (1) 80 for a Christmas party (2) 100 for NYE (3) never stopped going to indoor services. I don't think it was just Orange

Bottomline: if Southern California was as careful as a lot of Northern California we could have avoided a lot of the hospitalizations

Edited by Ombud
  • Thanks 1