Potential much needed good news

39 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Really??? 

"Fauci clarified some of Trump's comments about the drug on Friday after the president said he had a "good feeling" about it. He said that hydroxychloroquine could not be used to prevent COVID-19."

OP just said good news. Not that it prevented anything, just that it was good news that this drug might keep some folks from dying.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yogimax said:

Really??? 

"Fauci clarified some of Trump's comments about the drug on Friday after the president said he had a "good feeling" about it. He said that hydroxychloroquine could not be used to prevent COVID-19."

OMG...who said anything about preventing it???  It is being looked at to treat the disease (and in some cases as the article suggests),  it currently is being implemented successfully.

Edited by rolloman
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

He was quoting a single study, conducted by a single author in a single medical journal in France (the textbook definition of anecdotal data). Any first year science student would know that if they answered "yes" to either of these questions: 1) "Is this a controlled clinical trial", and/or 2) "are these data conclusive and reliable for post clinical trial use", they would fail the course.

I agree with you  - Its the hope part that people are focusing on. Most people wouldn't care of the subjects tested were rats, they would all be taking this. We are looking and pulling on straws for a silver lining to these dark days.

In the real world of science/Medicine  this study would be in a garbage pale until some one did the study the right way - which seems like Dr Oz wants to do. I am not a Dr Oz groupie and I am in the medical field and that is what I heard him say - besides his jaw dropping (which was a bit foolish as the study was obviously flawed). 

If anything good comes from this I think it will be how people are helping each other and the creativity and talents that are showing through. It seems like so many individuals and businesses are saying thind like, "I/we can do that," "What if we try this?," and "maybe  that would work." I'm not very creative or good at thinking outside the box, but I'm glad a lot of people are. I find it encouraging amongst all the bad news.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Firepath said:

If anything good comes from this I think it will be how people are helping each other and the creativity and talents that are showing through. It seems like so many individuals and businesses are saying thind like, "I/we can do that," "What if we try this?," and "maybe  that would work." I'm not very creative or good at thinking outside the box, but I'm glad a lot of people are. I find it encouraging amongst all the bad news.

Yes I agree - as a nation we do amazing things with out backs to the wall. You see the amazing stories being written now!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

I agree with you  - Its the hope part that people are focusing on. Most people wouldn't care of the subjects tested were rats, they would all be taking this. We are looking and pulling on straws for a silver lining to these dark days.

In the real world of science/Medicine  this study would be in a garbage pale until some one did the study the right way - which seems like Dr Oz wants to do. I am not a Dr Oz groupie and I am in the medical field and that is what I heard him say - besides his jaw dropping (which was a bit foolish as the study was obviously flawed). 

My main concern is that the psychological phenomenon of investigational myopia may creep into the dialog and the researchers and media will focus so tightly on this one “promising” cocktail that they miss other equally (or tragically even more) promising treatments in their rush to be the heroes that stopped the virus. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

My main concern is that the psychological phenomenon of investigational myopia may creep into the dialog and the researchers and media will focus so tightly on this one “promising” cocktail that they miss other equally (or tragically even more) promising treatments in their rush to be the heroes that stopped the virus. 

I think that real scientist never sleep so long as they are funded. There were promising drugs being studied for both SARS and MERS before they mutated away and the interest/funding faded. Those advances would of helped us much more than this study. I think what is unique to this study is that the drugs are both already available and generally safe to use and so it has people (many politicians including the president) feeling this is a quick fix. Time will tell!

1 hour ago, gatour said:

I have seen reports that some hospitals are using uv light.  I wasn't paying enough attention to hear if they are using it on masks/gowns used for treating patients with corvid-19 or just in general.

The one I saw UV was being used on masks to extend their use.

5 minutes ago, Big_G said:

The one I saw UV was being used on masks to extend their use.

High intensity UVC equipment will kill viruses, but you don’t want to be in its vicinity while it’s doing its thing - it can also do significant damage to any live tissue. Think sunburn on steroids.

4 hours ago, rolloman said:

I just threw the article in my post to show people the concept has been recently used. I certainly did not have it in my post as a part of the argument. You evidently DO NOT like good news as you seem determined to spread doom over a drug which has been touted by multiple sources including Dr. Fauci. The fact is it is being looked at and in some cases already implemented with success.

Dr Fauci is actually saying exactly what you refer to as the "doom and gloom" people are saying.  While there is anecdotal evidence that seems positive, there needs to be clinical trials and testing to make sure that it is an effective solution.  Nobody knows yet what will happen 4-5 weeks after someone took the medicine.   Fauci said late last week that while it is a safe drug for the approved uses, NOBODY knows yet what the long term effects it has when using it with Covid-19. Caution needs to prevail.

Being positive, but realistic that it is still in the testing phase and there is not clinical evidence it works, is not doom and gloom. It is being realistic.

Touting an unproven therapy as something that will work is irresponsible and gives people false hope.

Let's see how the NYC trials go.  One can absolutely be hopeful it will work yet still realistic enough to admit it is as yet unproven. Cautiously optimistic is reality.

Isn't Dr. Oz the one that had to pay out $5.25 million as a settlement for making false claims about a diet supplement and other drugs?  Take anything he says as something he can profit on whether it is real medicine or not.

Edited by cured
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, wolfcathorse said:

yup, according to POTUS, 

Infecting a rational discussion with politics doesn't help those who wish to actually understand what is going on and what the prognosis may be for fighting a real virus.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Infecting a rational discussion with politics doesn't help those who wish to actually understand what is going on and what the prognosis may be for fighting a real virus.

Most of this discussion is based on sources from Fox News, so the chances of it being rational were already slim to none. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Fully agree that we need to proceed with caution, but this isn't just a doctor trying something that he thinks might work.  This is multiple labs working together to study the coronavirus at a protein level and compare against 20,000 FDA approved drugs that have already been safety tested in humans:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-03-drugs-covid-19so-pieces-coronavirus.html

Disclaimer...I don't know if the anti-malarial medicine in question was an outcome of this work.  The article does say that the first 10 candidate drugs from this work were sent to the Pasteur Institute in Paris and Mount Sinai in New York for further lab testing.  The dedicated people in labs around the world, working together, is what gives me hope that we will have an effective treatment (not a prevention) soon for more serious cases.

• Like 3

Jeez. The OP even wrote "potential" in the subject line, there were no absolutes mentioned. I'm surprised to see the arguments that stemmed from a simple post meant to spread some dang hope. I think if anyone here found out they had Covid-19, and started to experience their *health declining*, they'd be hopeful to know there "might" be something that "could" save their life - which is better than nothing, at this point.

Edited by GetToLivin
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, orville99 said:

This may actually be beneficial if that is what happens.  That way people won't go out and stockpile whatever the other treatment way be, and it can get to those who  need it. 

4 minutes ago, Mallefiscent said:

This may actually be beneficial if that is what happens.  That way people won't go out and stockpile whatever the other treatment way be, and it can get to those who  need it. 

True, except that Investigational myopia convinces the researcher that nothing will come from evaluating alternatives to their pre-selected "winner" so the public would never hear of any alternatives.

5 hours ago, orville99 said:

Yes, if I want to understand about a pandemic and the prognosis for fighting it, there is no better place to go for reliable information than a Cruise Critic message board. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I found the article on chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine on the CDC's coronavirus reference page. Seems to be scientific in origin. I read the articles by the French showing an 100% effective rate on those that accepted to use the treatment of HCQ+Z pack. As an engineer who has taken a much worse anti-malarial drug (larium) just to be a le to work about five weeks in West Africa, I would be more than willing to take my chances that this works. It is reported that the protective mechanism is a modification of the pH at the cellular interface which interferes with the virus' ability to attach to the cell and inject the RNA. What has lead to the fatalities is the damage done in the lungs to the cells which allows bacteria normally in the upper respirator to invade the lungs and cause pneumonia. I must assume the Zpac which is a penicillin derivative is effective in stopping the invasion of pnemonococus bacteria thus helping to cure the patient. I read this somewhere but cannot put my finger back on it. Seemed a reasonable hypothesis. Yes clinical trials and effaciency trials would be good but time is not on many Americans side. 

• Like 1