Oasis of the seas crew members positive for Covid-19

BND

Anyone in as tight of quarters as ship crew should’ve been quarantined for 14 days after getting off ship, before being put on airplanes and flown around the world. Here’s hoping someone had some common sense...

13 minutes ago, SarahD112 said:

Anyone in as tight of quarters as ship crew should’ve been quarantined for 14 days after getting off ship, before being put on airplanes and flown around the world. Here’s hoping someone had some common sense...

Why they weren’t quarantined for 14 days after the last passengers left is crazy.  They were already around day 9 o4 so when some crew left.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Why they weren’t quarantined for 14 days after the last passengers left is crazy.  They were already around day 9 o4 so when some crew left.

Because it took the 14 of the crew members to come into contact with the asymptomatic person on the ship.  Then it took time for their temperatures to start fluctuate.  Several could have it and be asymptomatic as well.  The only way to find out is to test all on board the ship.

Hasn't Royal and Celebrity been using CocoCay for the crew ? I know Celebrity has they've been posting pix of it.  I thought Bahamas has forbidden ships but Royal figures who can enforce it; are the Bahamaian groundskeepers still at CocoCay or have they been sent back to their home islands? 

18 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Hasn't Royal and Celebrity been using CocoCay for the crew ? I know Celebrity has they've been posting pix of it.  I thought Bahamas has forbidden ships but Royal figures who can enforce it; are the Bahamaian groundskeepers still at CocoCay or have they been sent back to their home islands? 

Since Royal owns the island I would assume the no ships rule does not apply. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Nope, leased it for a short time way back when they first started using it, then bought most of it and about 5 years ago bought the last section of land from the original owner. 

I did not know that.  The Wikipedia entry needs updating.

Even if they own it, isn't it still part of the Bahamas, just as a person owns a piece of land in any country?  Wouldn't that country's laws/rules still apply?  Not that I'm an expert on Bahamian law.

Edited by time4u2go

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

The pictures I saw showed the ships anchored just off the island.

This the current location of the ships with Oasis being the western (left)  most dot - one HAL ship, the rest are all RCCL.

image.png.0f2abe875d4ec35999e6179badc1b0c3.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I did not know that.  The Wikipedia entry needs updating.

Even if they own it, isn't it still part of the Bahamas, just as a person owns a piece of land in any country?  Wouldn't that country's laws/rules still apply?  Not that I'm an expert on Bahamian law.

Here’s an interesting article about the original owner (John Ruzic) and the history of CocoCay.  He also wrote a book about it. (The Shallow  Sea).

https://www.nwitimes.com/uncategorized/wild-life-for-author-neil-ruzic-adventure-is-not-only/article_df1e20ab-290d-5693-bbd2-61c23feb71c3.html

Just another example of why not to believe everything you read on Wikipedia. 

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That could very well be the case but there could also be exemptions since it is a private island.  We are all just speculating. 

No exemptions for it being private. There are many privately held islands in the Bahamas. 

I haven't seen any reports or indications that any of the ships anchored miles away from CC actually used the port.  Even if they did, it would more than likely be one ship at a time anyway, no different than onboard.  We probably will never know exactly what was done about those that were sick/tested positive as the crew has probably been told not to talk to anyone about it.

32 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

No exemptions for it being private. There are many privately held islands in the Bahamas. 

Not only that, there are seven hundred Bahamian islands.  Most people don't realize that.  The rules apply to all of them and is enforced.  People own islands in the US, and they still fall under US laws (state and Fed).  A lot of the Bahamian islands aren't actually inhabited or only have one home or one resort, but they still have to follow the laws of the Bahamas.  They also are dependent on the more inhabited islands for supplies so that must get interesting.

2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I doubt they would let the crew off.  Seems to defeat the idea of being separated from all. I would think that most of the island workers have been sent home except for a Skelton crew to maintain it.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Here’s an interesting article about the original owner (John Ruzic) and the history of CocoCay.  He also wrote a book about it. (The Shallow  Sea).

https://www.nwitimes.com/uncategorized/wild-life-for-author-neil-ruzic-adventure-is-not-only/article_df1e20ab-290d-5693-bbd2-61c23feb71c3.html

Just another example of why not to believe everything you read on Wikipedia. 

Once I got through all the "survey clicks", to read the article it was quite interesting.  

The real issue is that people got off the ship a few days ago and presumably flew home. Chris’s video seemed to imply it was a large number. He said “I don’t know if I’m allowed to say how many are leaving”. Well if it was a small number, why would it matter? They should have all stayed onboard for at least 14 days. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BND said:

I haven't seen any reports or indications that any of the ships anchored miles away from CC actually used the port.  Even if they did, it would more than likely be one ship at a time anyway, no different than onboard.  We probably will never know exactly what was done about those that were sick/tested positive as the crew has probably been told not to talk to anyone about it.

Mariner of the seas was docked there the other day.